Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Alcohol and Nicotine every morning
Image Rights question:

I was approached by a yoga teacher about taking photos of her for use in marketing materials: print fliers for classes and eventually a website. What are best practices concerning the use of these photos outside of those specified purposes? I'm going to retain rights for self-promotion purposes, I'm wondering what reproduction rights I should sign over to her since the product is her image. I'm assuming she should have the right to use the photos for marketing and promotional purposes, but not alter or sell them without my permission.

I'm brand new to the contract and image rights game when it comes to freelancing, and I'm pulling what I've learned from the GAG's Pricing and Ethical Guidelines.
Any help or resources navigating these murky legal waters to retain proper rights without alienating the client would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Alcohol and Nicotine every morning
I've got a dilemma related to working for free. I was contacted by a friend of a former client (who is also a friend of mine) about doing poster/postcard design for a yoga event and music festival happening in September. Unfortunately it sounds like they want me to work for "trade" (putting my logo on all their event materials, maybe some swag). I know this sucks and is a total chump move, but it actually would be a great portfolio piece, and exposure within a target demographic I'm marketing to. If I can't talk them in to even a small paycheck, is there a reasonable thing I can ask for in trade?

The event is far enough away that I can most likely get the work done in my spare time and not suffer an opportunity cost, but if that's not the case and I can't get reasonable compensation, what's the most professional way I can decline while keeping them as a potential client and my friend still willing to give me referrals?