Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SA Mart designers are why I would never look for gigs on here. It used to be a decent place, but the spec work over there is pretty lame. I mean, I guess people get semi-decent logos for a steal, but yeesh.

Reminds me of throwing a handful of peanuts at a bunch of starving monkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A friend of mine got $15,000 from a company in South America for a non-exclusive license to use in a commercial a video she posted on Youtube of her daughter freaking out about a surprise gift, so I'd say you're getting the radical screw job. I mean, maybe $15k is much too much for your nature clip (compared to personal footage of someone's child), but $100 seems laughably low.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

And do yourself a huge favor and read up on adaptive design. At least 50% of your traffic is going to come from mobile devices. It doesn't fly to design for desktop only anymore.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You could instead of a rights retention add a first dibs clause where they get rights but they agree to come to you for future work or alterations with the characters. Definitely include the self marketing use clause though.

You will not get the job if you insist on retaining the rights to the characters though. I sure wouldn't sign a contract like that of I was in their shoes. I could only see that if you had already created a character of your own and they wanted to use it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, welp! They'll get what they pay for, but budgets are budgets. $3000 is way low for all that work.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Last time I rolled through there the same 2 or 3 people always get the cash too. It seems like their own personal little arena and they just fight each other for scraps for eternity.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Re rights, I generally always grant full rights while retaining right to use for promotional purposes but I do denote that rights do not transfer to the client until final delivery which is retained until after receipt of payment. Some larger clients will want to negotiate that to account for pay schedules, but a lot just agree to it and I've never had an individual or small business ask to change that. It gives me a final piece of leverage if I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Contracts are for both parties. I always include pricing amounts, payment schedules, and delivery dates and expectations (ie what's actually being delivered and what isn't) in my contract. It sets expectations and ties my hands as the artist so that at worst, if I've screwed up and something's going wrong I have to amend the contract and contact you. If we can't come to an amendment agreement, then we fall back to the cancelation and refund terms as outlined in the contract. Also, if someone isn't willing or able to offer an agreement in writing like this then it's a good sign they'll be a bad artist to work with. Etc