Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teepee
Mar 11, 2004

I couldn't cope if you crashed today
I'm sure this is a ridiculous question, but I've made my first sale and the publisher sent me a contract to sign over email. Everything looks good, but as I've never done this before, I was wondering if it's better to sign & send it back via email or to do it snail mail. (Publisher's okay with either.) The contract itself isn't the issue, I just get cross-eyed at the thought of sending my SSN over email, because I'm paranoid as gently caress. Anybody go through this before and want to hold my hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepee
Mar 11, 2004

That makes a reasonable amount of sense. I'll just stop acting like a jackass and email it back. Thanks!

teepee
Mar 11, 2004

Blinky13 posted:

You need to get an EIN (Employer ID Number). It'll help keep your SSN secure.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html/

Sorry, do you mean I should get one because I should file as self-employed, or ask for the publisher's EIN?

quote:

Congratulations! What did you sell? (I hope they gave you a fair rate)

Thanks so much! Nothing big, just a short story for an anthology of YA science fiction. The pay is a one-time deal at time of publication, no royalties. I've never really submitted or sold anything before, though, so I'm pretty excited.

edit: VVV thanks a bunch for clarifying and the nice words!!

teepee fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 20, 2012