Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

You probably shouldn't even bother with this guy anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I would say the only reason to do a kid's book on spec is if somehow it were a unicorn project, meaning that it's tailored exactly to your style, and about something you enjoy.

I was approached a while back to do a spec kid's book about a girl in Hawaii [that he actually had a manuscript for.] I thought I was pretty versatile, and that I could pull it off, but I had a slew of pretty glaring issues. I'm not from Hawaii. I've never been to Hawaii. My style isn't Hawaiian in the slightest. I've never been a little girl, nor interested in drawing things that might appeal to little girls. Pretty much the best I could come up with was a Lilo and Stitch ripoff, which is also a movie I've never seen or had any interest in.

After about a month of trying in my free time, I finally gave up. I might've been able to pull it off if I had more incentive, but I just couldn't bring myself to create this thing so out of line with my interests for imaginary money.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

an skeleton posted:

I paid a random up-and-coming graphic designer guy on twitter $50 for a logo design and he is taking his sweet rear end time. (First sketches took about 3 days, wasn't a fan, after that he/she said new sketches would be coming soon; its been 8 days since then). Twitter is a particularly annoying format to correspond with people because you can see them retweeting and tweeting all sorts of nonsense all day and night, meanwhile I haven't even received a sketch I'm happy with. I get it; I only paid $50 but honestly I would've paid more if it meant a faster turnaround time. At the end of the day, if I get burned for $50 its not the end of the world, but does anyone have any advice for avoiding this type of situation in the future, or improving my current situation now? I would just ask for a refund but I'm afraid thats just gonna increase my chance of receiving lovely work and no refund.

edit: no contract, etc. so i/they dont have anything to fall back on/be held to in that regard

More experienced artists will chime in, but if you've read even a few pages of this thread, you'll see that you got what you deserved and paid for.

One: $50 dollars is a laughably low rate for a logo. You're basically expecting this person to work for less than minimum wage. A more experienced artist could probably fart out a logo you'd like in about an hour, but they'd still charge you more, because you aren't just paying for their time, but for their experience. I'd be willing to whip something up for friends or family for that price, but not for a random twitter stranger.

Two: Get their contact info first. Duh.

Three: Create a contract you both can agree to beforehand. You can find these online pretty easily. They'll basically have you agree to deadlines, a fee upfront, a fee upon completion, limitations on revisions, etc.

Four: When creating something, you can usually choose two of three options: Get it done quickly, cheaply, or high quality. You went balls deep on cheaply, so you can't expect anything on the other two fronts. Sure, they may be doing poo poo on twitter instead of getting your logo done, but since you paid them so little, they'll pretty much just fit in your project whenever they feel is convenient.

Edit:
*removed*

Double edit:
I'm sorry I assumed the worst about you. CC is pretty artist-centric, and most posts like these are about how commissioners screw over the artist. I forgot it can be both ways, but gmc is right.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 1, 2017