Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

Thanks for this thread, the OP is great.

I was wondering if there's some sort of language I'm missing... I have been asked quite a few times to "contribute" an illustration or comic to a publication. When I respond with my interest and rate, I either get no responses or they say "sorry we have no budget." Don't worry, I don't take up these offers.

My question is, have I been a total dummy responding with my rates when the lingo "contribution" means "give us work for free"? Should I start just ignoring these emails if I see that word? I am getting annoyed being asked to create new work, for free, aside other quality artists who I am sure are NOT working for free on the very same project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

Defenestration posted:

Nope, because even though it's pretty obvious that by using the word "contribution" they're fishing for free stuff, replying with rates is a good way to remind them that your work isn't just a favor, it is a valuable commodity.

Good point. It's gonna suck to turn down another one of these, I'd love to see my work in this anthology next to people I admire. :sigh: If only gratification paid the bills!

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

Yay! As I guessed, they could not pay for comic work however they do want to pay me for a promotional illustration.

Authentic You posted:

Ha, I've gotten this too, namely in the form of inquiries to my DA account. Someone asked me if they could use one of my pieces as an album cover for a self-produced single or something, and I said I'd be happy to license the piece's use. Never heard back. It seems like people think that if it's already been created, they should be able to use it for free if they just get permission. Wait, artists want money for the use of their IP, too? Wtf! I've also replied to art and design contests on Craigslist with just my portfolio (and not the desired spec entry). my reply rate on those isn't too good.

Oh I hate that! I've been asked if this or that could be used for album art, a flyer, etc. and yup never hear back after I let them know I am flattered but I'd like to be paid too. I am not sure why there is this idea that visual artists are happy to work for free. There's also this mentality among some artists themselves that they do it for "pure pleasure" and monetary value doesn't matter. The compassion for art making is admirable, but don't bullshit me that you don't want to make money. It's like some artists almost feel guilty about wanting to make money. :(