Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

dj_clawson posted:

Hey guys.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to move forward? Publishers that can be approached directly for this kind of project? Illustrators who don't just do sci-fi concept art? Because when I searched for illustrators I got a LOT of that. Good art, but not art I need.

Many illustrators have agents too, I used to work for one of them. I would recommend her but she's semi-retired and only deals with existing contract matters. But if you google for illustrators agents you may get some websites that show samples of various artists' work, then you could make inquiries about specific artists that you like through their agency. I know my former boss was well-versed in all aspects of book/illustration contracts and how to shop for publishers, and was always willing to give advice; you might find another illustrators' agent who could help guide you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

RetroVirus posted:

Oh I hate that! I've been asked if this or that could be used for album art, a flyer, etc. and yup never hear back after I let them know I am flattered but I'd like to be paid too. I am not sure why there is this idea that visual artists are happy to work for free. There's also this mentality among some artists themselves that they do it for "pure pleasure" and monetary value doesn't matter. The compassion for art making is admirable, but don't bullshit me that you don't want to make money. It's like some artists almost feel guilty about wanting to make money. :(

Yeah, there are some weird forces at work sometimes. Years ago a group of artists displayed at a gallery I co-owned, and in place of prices, one of the artists had a little card that said something like "God allows me to make art only as long as I never make any money from it". which kind of made her sound like a holier-than-thou rear end in a top hat. And her art really wasn't that good, so maybe it was a defensive move? I know that probably sounds harsh, but I really don't like how that sort of thing feeds into the public perception of the "suffering artist" as holy man/woman. You should be able to earn a living on what you're talented at, whether it's banking or painting pictures.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

It's also possible that that person found that when they were making art for money, all of a sudden it turned into a terrible burden, or it soured the emotional/spiritual mojo they needed to make their work. Some people are "pros" and thrive when they're getting paid. Other people can't stand associating their creative process with money. Obviously everyone's got to eat, but I wouldn't automatically assume that the person you saw was acting superior.

That's a more charitable way of looking at it, and I agree that people have different motivations, but I didn't automatically assume anything, really. I wasn't specific in my previous post, but here are the more telling details: She had never made any money from her work; it was a student show and the reason they got it was because we knew the teacher. The students were all adults; I met all of them, and this particular person was from a very priveleged background, and spoke and acted like she was really above all "commercial" stuff. I wouldn't have had a problem with that, but she insisted on being in the show even though she didn't want to sell anything (which i didn't find out until the day the art arrived), thereby, because of limited space, depriving other artists of wall space, artists who DID want to sell and needed the money. The teacher curated the show and for some reason he backed her up, and because of who he was I didn't have any choice. So in this case I was left with a bad impression of her.

I know there are artists who are as you describe them above, but she was not one of them. I myself started university-level art school at age 14, and swore I would never become a "mere" illustrator or god forbid a graphic artist, and was sure my work would be in major galleries by at least age 25. The reality is that by age 21 I was working in the art department of a chain of record stores, doing the dreaded "commercial" art, and I've made a living as a graphic artist on and off ever since. At age 14 I suppose it's okay to be a little idealistic, and life has a way of teaching the teachable by the time they become adults, but some people never have to face reality and it can cause problems for other people just trying to make a living.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Defenestration posted:

Random House's Hydra imprint gives a great example of what contract NOT TO SIGN, EVER, HOLY poo poo THIS IS BAD

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/03/06/note-to-sff-writers-random-houses-hydra-imprint-has-appallingly-bad-contract-terms/

There's a lot more in Scalzi's article, but the main takeaway is this:

A publishing contract is supposed to be an agreement for MUTUAL benefit between both parties. If a place like Random House won't pay, or assume any of the standard risk (while making billions of $$ in profits) then they are scamming and abusing you. Do not enter into agreements where publishers pay nothing and you pay for their publishing "services."

I used to know the woman who started Writer Beware (Anne Crispin), mentioned in this post; she's written a lot of Stars Wars books and makes a decent living at it. She's also been an advocate for writers for a long time, I highly reccomend her blog: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/ (Writer Beware) for those looking to publish, actually make money and avoid scams.

This contract really shows how rapacious corporations have gotten in seeking profits above all. The fact that this is Random House putting forth this bullshit is really disheartening - not that publishers have ever been on the side of writers, but this is just downright evil of them.

Random House responded to Scalzi's post, but I won't quote it here because it just steams me that they're trying to justify their machinations with convoluted "explanations".

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 7, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Authentic You posted:

They replied directly to Scalzi's post too?

They addressed their reply in part to him, yes. He's the president of SFWA.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2013