Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
He's spending a lot of energy trying to convince you because talk is cheap. He's full of hot air and a hypocrite who contradicts himself in almost comical fashion. He talks up his business like it's a sure thing, and yet whines that he can't afford to pay you. He's basically asking you to put your skin in the game by spending your time, rather than risking his own money by paying you, because if things don't work out it's better for him that you've wasted hours of work while he hasn't lost a dime.

If he thinks his business has a real chance of succeeding then he shouldn't hesitate for a second to pay fair market value for design work in order to help it grow. He's either a terrible business person or an exploitative rear end in a top hat, or both. I'd avoid this guy if I were you (anyone who insults my work by comparing it to a $5 job on fiverr isn't worth my time) but if you do decide to play along make sure you get 100% of your money up front before doing any work, and if he isn't willing to be reasonable then screw him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Calico Heart posted:

I'm a Screenwriter, just starting out. I was hired to write a feature-length film and paid a decent enough wage before, but that job recently ended. Before that I worked as a Content Editor for an online magazine and as a Script Editor.

I applied for a number of things online and someone has gotten back to me asking what my pay-per-page is for a screenplay of 110 pages. What is a reasonable amount to ask for? The person who posted the job is an Attorney who has also written before in the past.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The almost universal answer to this kind of question seems to be:

1) Figure out how much you want to earn per hour
2) Add a % for taxes, overhead, editing, ancillary tasks etc
3) Estimate how many pages you can write in an hour
4) Calculate cost per page as a function of above

And you thought algebra was just for grade school! I don't know much about writing but your overhead for step 2 could end up being pretty high depending on how much back and forth with the client or revisions you expect and what I imagine to be the mercurial nature of writing. In fact you should probably build in clauses for number and scope of revisions, edits, and specific milestones into the contract. Because you WILL get a contract and at least 25-50% of your fee up front, right?