Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
I haven't seen this talked about here, but it's a good example of why Always Get A Contract (and later communications in writing) needs to be burned into everyone's brains.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/independent-poster-artist-seeks-help-regarding-oldboy-art-rip-off/

quote:

independent designer Juan Luis Garcia who claims that he did work and pitched Oldboy poster concepts to a design agency, who then took his ideas and created similar work without paying or recognizing his contributions at all. Garcia then tweeted to Oldboy director Spike Lee to gain some extra attention, and the response from the filmmaker was even more disgusting than the rip-off.

In his original open letter to Spike Lee (which has since been removed from his website), Garcia explains "in January I was approached by an ad agency that was hired to design posters for your new film, Oldboy." After working exclusively for two months and submitting a few of his concepts, he was told that "Spike loved a couple of the posters. Yours is going to be the key art." The deal they offered to license his work was very low and he declined, attempting to negotiate but was treated very poorly by the agency, eventually moving on without anything. "The worst part of all this is that I never even got paid the peanuts they owed me," he said. Months later and the real Oldboy posters arrive and guess what - they're very obviously similar to his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
I have unfortunately developed a reputation for giving a thorough and insightful critique. As such, I've had a rash of people lately asking me to "just take a quick look at the opening of their novel/screenplay/short story/comic book script" - which of course ends up becoming a good bit of time spent commenting and critiquing.

I actually quite like doing it, so don't want to indiscriminately start saying no, but I hope that charging will either cut down the requests or at least make me feel excitment for delicious money instead of vague annoyance when I get a request.

Is there an industry standard rate for that kind of work? I've done a bit of research on my own but the prices seem to vary wildly, as does the sketchiness of the websites encountered. I would prefer some kind of industry standard price that I can point to so as not to offend people that I should not offend eg professional contacts, family members, relatives' niece's best friend's brother etc.

While I have gotten a few requests for full novel critiques, it's more commonly the first chapter or first ten pages before that section is sent to an agent/editor/contest.

Thanks!