Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hac
Oct 21, 2005

SteveVizsla posted:

First: The Copyright Myths link no longer works :(

I'm trying to find information on what legal rights photographers have against artists who paint their work, including those who digitally paint over the photos, and then sell those works. I own a rare breed of dog that a lot of people are visually attracted to, and this is really becoming a problem for those of us who own them and are also photographers. Everyone I know of this happening to have sold images for stock, do client work on the side, etc.

Two examples:
-One involves two photos being digitally turned into paintings by a woman who's probably the most popular dog artist on Etsy (I've also seen her stuff in many stores lately... she's known for doing lots of different breeds). I know a photographer in another less common breed who says the painting of her breed is from a stolen photo, as well.
-Today I was glancing through fineartamerica.com and found another work being sold as prints, cards, etc. that's a copy of another friend's photo. She has a very distinctive photo editing style and the painting even replicates that, to the point that I instantly recognized it and messaged her. I could even name which of her dozens of dogs it is.

Not really sure about the answer to this but I'm curious what kind of dog you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hac
Oct 21, 2005

dog nougat posted:

since I'm not handling a physical real-world object.

Aren't you?

hac
Oct 21, 2005

moerketid posted:

I did this for a number of years, then at one point I just picked it up again after a long gap and...it clicked. Quality of tablet is also an issue - like trying to learn to work with lovely dollar store art materials, trying to learn with a lovely tablet is not much fun.

Yeah, just like your traditional tools, digital tools are just that: tools. It's about using the right tool for the job, and a quality tool. Initially you'll have to get over the learning curve just to familiarize yourself and expand your skills, but it's important to be intentional I think about how you then integrate that into your process. Is it simply about efficiency of workflow? Is it about an aesthetic that you can't quite achieve with traditional media? Think about why you're using the tools.

Dog nougat, certainly never abandon your basis in hand drawing and sketching and painting. I'd encourage you to look at ways of hybridizing your process between traditional and digital techniques. Maybe set up exercises for yourself: do some hand sketches, scan them, digitally paint on top of them. Work quickly and utilize layers you can then manipulate. Print it out, draw on top of it. Do it again. You might find that working back and forth between them keeps you from getting too stuck or frustrated with the digital tools, and allows you to take smaller meaningful steps in learning them.