Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The soundtrack is overall one of the best ever made, imo. It's really atmospheric and spacey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still listen to the FTL soundtrack about once a week, maybe more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The most annoying thing in FTL: flying Engi B, someone mind controls your pilot (and only crew member).

Mind control lasts just long enough for an Engi to destroy a level one system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There’s an automated re‐loader on the other page. Early sector three.

The correct play here may be to walk away and upgrade my shields, but I’m tempted to buy the HL II and put it in the hold.

The weapons I already have are as good as it gets for the power and will wreck enemies for some time to come, but the HL II is a great endgame weapon on a three‐slot ship.

e: Oh yeah, and I could use a doors upgrade because I’m in Mantis space and gently caress Mantis.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 16, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you feel like playing risky, get the HL2, IMO. You can always upgrade shields later, but it's entirely possible that the game will decide that's the last good weapon that you get.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Sell the mini-beam, buy the second flak and upgrade weapons once, get some repairs with the spare change. You'll be set on weapons for the rest of the game.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hannibal Rex posted:

Sell the mini-beam, buy the second flak and upgrade weapons once, get some repairs with the spare change. You'll be on weapons for the rest of the game.

I’d sell the dual laser before the mini beam.

The mini beam is great. It can do four damage on most ship layouts. It can’t dump all that damage on one room, but it also can’t miss.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'd be really temped to go for flak 1, flak 1, heavy 2.

sure you can't run them all straight away but sector 3 should be manageable with just one of the flaks plus the hl.

heavy lasers are just so wonderfully destructive, two damage per shot to both health and systems and then fire and breach chance on top of that? oh yes please

e: wait flak 1 is two energy gently caress. make that double flak until you get another point in weapons. with only one shield bubble. hrm.

Prav fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 16, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I haven't listened to the music in this game almost since it came out. For me it's the game I play while listening to online lectures or other things, it's perfect for that.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The most annoying thing in FTL: flying Engi B, someone mind controls your pilot (and only crew member).

Mind control lasts just long enough for an Engi to destroy a level one system.

You can vent piloting to prevent that from happening, but it's still a pretty awful situation to be in. Thankfully mind control seems to be pretty rare in sector 1; I've been hacked in sector 1 a lot more often than mind-controlled (and Engi B really can't deal with that well at all).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Platystemon posted:

There’s an automated re‐loader on the other page. Early sector three.

The correct play here may be to walk away and upgrade my shields, but I’m tempted to buy the HL II and put it in the hold.

The weapons I already have are as good as it gets for the power and will wreck enemies for some time to come, but the HL II is a great endgame weapon on a three‐slot ship.

e: Oh yeah, and I could use a doors upgrade because I’m in Mantis space and gently caress Mantis.

My possibly risky temptation would be to bank the second Flak I, upgrade doors, rely on cloaking while saving to upgrade shields (you can probably do this with the rest of sector 3's scrap), and then work on buying another weapons bar to get double flak + beam going. Like the HL II, you won't need any weapons upgrades after that. (Unless you see a third Flak 1. NEVER turn down The Flakkening.)

Honestly, this is a situation where you could do any of the obvious things and not go badly wrong -- the only poor life choices here are the Swarm Missile launcher and to a lesser extent the automated reloader. (Reloaders used to be an auto buy for me back when they were 15% bonus (IIRC) and I was playing normal, but on hard mode and nerfed to 10% they're not that great.)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I’d sell the dual laser before the mini beam.

The mini beam is great. It can do four damage on most ship layouts. It can’t dump all that damage on one room, but it also can’t miss.

Yeah, agreed. Mini-beam is very undervalued by a lot of people. 1 power, 12 second base cd, 100% accuracy, and it can do 4 damage against most ship layouts. That's a fantastic power/damage ratio.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Khizan posted:

Yeah, agreed. Mini-beam is very undervalued by a lot of people. 1 power, 12 second base cd, 100% accuracy, and it can do 4 damage against most ship layouts. That's a fantastic power/damage ratio.

For a long time my highest score ever was in Stealth A, and I attribute everything to the mini beam.

Well, that and all the other awesome stuff Stealth A starts with. Probably the best starting equipment set in the game, once you learn how to use it right.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just had a crazy game as Zoltan A where I got two scrap arms in sector 1. Ended with the halberd beam, vulcan, and an ion blast, with hacking, MC, and cloak. Everything fully upgraded and ~200 extra scrap at the end. 5 Zoltan crew and max power lets you get away with so much bullshit.

I learned the hard way that Vulcan is horrible for the first stage of the flagship but it totally trivializes the second and third so I managed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hannibal Rex posted:

Sell the mini-beam, buy the second flak and upgrade weapons once, get some repairs with the spare change. You'll be set on weapons for the rest of the game.

Things you should never sell: Mini-beam, Advance Flak. They are the best weapons in the game for damage output vs power.

If you are selling them it's because you are doing a gimmick run like all-chain lasters, or dual vulcan or w/e.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

1. Continue with the current weapons.
  2. Minor variant № 1: Flak I, Flak I, Heavy Laser I, Breach Bomb II, and a spare bar of weapons power as a buffer
  3. Minor variant № 2: Flak I, Flak I, Hull Laser II Small Bomb
  4. Maximum LASER: Flak I, Flak I, Hull Laser II, Heavy Laser I
  5. Maximum bomb: Flak I, Hull Laser II, Small Bomb, Breach Bomb II
  6. Heavy Laser I, Hull Laser II, Small Bomb, Breach Bomb II, one spare bar—with hacking, boarding, and bombs all available, I don’t need flak to bust shields
I’m leaning 5, because how often do I get an opportunity to use two bombs with hacking, boarding, and Zoltan Shield Bypass?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You only have 13 missiles; no idea in which sector you are, but those won't last long if you intend on using multiple bombs each engagement.

I'd definitely sell the small bomb; If you have a decent chance of finding another shop before the finale, I'd buy the Heavy Laser and put the Breach Bomb into your inventory to save up on missiles for the boss.

Then again, you have plenty of scrap; if you have enough left after fully upgrading shields and hacking and your reactor to power those, you can switch the burst laser for the hull right away too; but its longer reload time will hamper the other weapons.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Things you should never sell: Mini-beam, Advance Flak. They are the best weapons in the game for damage output vs power.

The mini-beam's super efficient, but you only get it on the Stealth A, which has only 3 weapon slots. Getting a setup that will reliably (and repeatedly) bust 4 shields with only two weapon slots is tricky. Also, I usually aim for weapons that support a crew kill strategy, and the mini-beam isn't great for that.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 20, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Flak/Flak/BL2 is a ridiculous weapon combination and easily enough to win you the game right there. The only purchases I'd make would be of more missiles. The breach bomb is amazing (best bomb in the game IMO) and you can use it to cheese the flagship: the AI is unable to repair systems if there's a breach in the room the system is in, and it can't repair breaches either. So you can kill the entire crew, then breach the AI's weapons systems, and it'll be helpless. Easy crew kill strategy: hack the medbay in round 1, breach bomb it, when crew manage to repair it to one bar, hack it. This will kill them if you have fully-upgraded hacking; if not, you can land another breach bomb on them to finish them off, assuming the flagship isn't cloaked. A kill-all-crew strategy can completely neuter the round-1 flagship by just killing the crew manning the weapons systems; you have a teleporter so that's easy.

tl;dr Just go on and win already.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Late sector 7. Three jumps left I think, so I’ll be selling the LRS and SRA.

I’ve been taking all viable ships via boarding, but you have a point vs. drone ships. I actually haven’t used a single done part all game; I’ve just gotten offers to trade them in events and haven’t picked up a lot as rewards. I got hacking at a shop a few jumps ago and haven’t needed it yet.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's a BL1.

LRS can still pay for itself in sector 8, if it means avoiding even a single reward-less jump. Likewise for the SRA, but it takes maybe 6-7 more rewards from the last shop for that.

I'd do the upgrades I mentioned earlier, and skip the Hull 2 in favor of keeping the BL1 and getting the Heavy Laser. Get a few more missiles, swap out your Breach Bomb until you're ready to face the flagship, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Platystemon posted:

Sector 2: choice of Abandoned Sector or Uncharted Nebula

chooses Unharted Nebula

Sector 3: choice of Abandoned Sector or Uncharted Nebula

:what:

The choice is always Abandoned Sector, with volume on high and music on.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Golbez posted:

The choice is always Abandoned Sector, with volume on high and music on.

Yup.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Still waiting on the sliver of hope for an Android port in 2017.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
It's been 5 years, and not a hint at what the developers might be working on next. FTL is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had, I would love to know if they are even working on another game.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Apparently, according to this reddit post of a screenshot of a support team e-mail, the developers are working on another project, although that could mean anything from a new game to a business utility to... something else entirely?

The same support team member also confirmed there's no plans to port FTL to Android.

So, definitely looking forward to Linoleum Curling Simulator 2017.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

Laptop overheated during a game because of a blocked fan, restarted, it reloaded some ancient save so I now lost most of my ships :(

It happens occasionally. If you have a backup utility running on your PC you can restore the savegame located in Documents\My Games\FTL.
If you don't run backups, start now...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
mom holy gently caress

https://vimeo.com/203014674

For the work folks:

Introducing the next game by Subset Games, creators of FTL...
Into The Breach!
The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game.
Into the Breach is a single-player game coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux (although not simultaneously). There is no planned release date. Ben Prunty, FTL’s composer, is making an original soundtrack for the game, and award-winning sound designers PowerUp Audio are heading up the rest of the audio. Chris Avellone is lending his writing talents and world building skills to the team as well.
More info available at subsetgames.com/

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 10, 2017

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380

Steam page with some gameplay pictures too

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So Advance Wars with music, story and art from the FTL folks?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm excited for the new game, but disappointed that it isn't FTL 2.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm stoked, I love the structure of FTL and grid-based tactics. I hope it's as good as it looks.

It seems like you'll be able to pass things on to future runs as well which is a slight change.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Super Robot Wars, roguelike edition?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I love Advance Wars so I'll definitely play that but I can't imagine enjoying it as much as FTL if it isn't a roguelike of some kind. Maybe it is?

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

Shibawanko posted:

I love Advance Wars so I'll definitely play that but I can't imagine enjoying it as much as FTL if it isn't a roguelike of some kind. Maybe it is?

It involves some kind of time travel when you encounter whatever the fail state is, which sounds like a functional justification for rogue like mechanics of restarting. Or not I guess! In any case I'll buy anything the devs put out there, FTL was just so good and so unexpected.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It says randomized so I imagine it's as much a roguelike as FTL is.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I sunk 200 hours into FTL I'll buy whatever they come up with next pretty much blind at this point. It's hard to argue with that kind of love.

Trainrides
Jun 1, 2012

Booted up FTL again. 30 hours in two weeks. Artillery beam is still poo poo.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Trainrides posted:

Booted up FTL again. 30 hours in two weeks. Artillery beam is still poo poo.

It's better in the later sectors than in the early sectors; you might get some use out of it in sectors 2 or 3 to kill 2-shield ships or get one last hit in on a fleeing ship, but it's more of an emergency measure than a real main feature.

On Hard mode, I tend to just forget I have it until I'm in sector 7 and then I think "Oh yeah, this thing helps damage the Flagship, I guess I should upgrade it a little."

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

RPS has an article up on Into the Breach. Seems even better than the promo materials make it out to be. The RPS guy sees ItB as Invisible Inc's design sensibilities focused and honed a tightly as possible, but action gameplay not stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Leylite posted:

It's better in the later sectors than in the early sectors; you might get some use out of it in sectors 2 or 3 to kill 2-shield ships or get one last hit in on a fleeing ship, but it's more of an emergency measure than a real main feature.

On Hard mode, I tend to just forget I have it until I'm in sector 7 and then I think "Oh yeah, this thing helps damage the Flagship, I guess I should upgrade it a little."

My favorite is when I have boarders on an enemy ship killing crew, and then the beam fires and destroys the ship with my crew on it.

• Locked thread