Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
ID = internal diameter. what is the diameter of the hole in the hose, not the outside diameter (OD).

Next fresh pour; pour a full glass until its has at least some beer in it and then stick an instant read thermometer in it. Let us know what that temperature is.

Did you buy a tower cooler like we recommended last time?

How are you tapping the keg? I tap with zero CO2 on and then pour until the keg has lost all pressure and then slowly turn on my 10psi regulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I haven't added any parts. I tried a USB fan connected to a power bank blowing up into the tower, and it just made the line freeze.

When changing kegs, I close off flow from the canister and close the C02 canister itself off as well. Tap, open up both. The manual recommends letting off the release valve on the coupler for 3 seconds when getting too much head, but that hasn't helped.

Before, I'd get a bunch of head but then it would start flowing really clear. Now, tons of head, and it gets somewhat clear but not fully. I always put a waste glass down first and then hold the actual pint glass under the faucet on an angle once it goes clear, but as I said it doesn't go as clear as it should and I just get more head with maybe 20% beer at the bottom. I always rinse the beer glass in cold water first as well. I used a cleaning kit again on the beer line, but our tap water is like piss and I'm wondering if I should rinse the line again with cleaner water.

The frustrating thing is after the first keg or two, I had it all running like a clock with minimal wastage. I clean the lines and faucet, not sure what I'm getting wrong here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RocketMermaid posted:

I've seen fresh hop/wet hop beers from places like Three Floyds as far back as the early 2000s, but it is definitely primarily a PNW phenomenon. Places like Yakima Chief are coming up with more and more interesting ways to preserve and ship them these days, though. Hell, I was working at Lagunitas back in 2015 when they were developing the process for Contents Under Fresher, where they could basically pulp fresh hops with deaerated water and store them in near-freezing temperatures for several months. It wasn't quite as potent as using them fresh off the bine, but it was definitely a nice bit of fresh hop character you could get almost any time of year.

Having come from Chicago, the PNW is definitely a bit... self-absorbed about its beer trends and traditions.

Reaching back a bit but fresh/green hopped have existed in the UK for like a hundred plus years, but rarely seen outside of Kent

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

Reaching back a bit but fresh/green hopped have existed in the UK for like a hundred plus years, but rarely seen outside of Kent

It's been that way since Bert Grant came here in the 80s from Scotland. Those hops fresh off the bines don't travel very well until they've been dried and then they aren't fresh hops anymore.

And now we carry on that tradition in the PNW and look sideways at everyone else that's too far away to really get the good poo poo. California is pretty good at them too, but the further east you go, the less fresh hop it gets. The new tech is cool, but like RocketMermaid says it's not quite the same, but much better than the past where you just couldn't get anything resembling fresh hops at all.

Now let me tell you about Cascade Dark Ale...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

atothesquiz posted:

Next fresh pour; pour a full glass until its has at least some beer in it and then stick an instant read thermometer in it. Let us know what that temperature is.

I got 42 degrees. This is after setting the coldness on 6\6 again after messing around last night (all I've ever run it at). Still too much head, but maybe a slight improvement from before. I ordered the Nukatap.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

I got 42 degrees. This is after setting the coldness on 6\6 again after messing around last night (all I've ever run it at). Still too much head, but maybe a slight improvement from before. I ordered the Nukatap.

turn your Co2 off completely. drink/pour till it doesnt pour anymore. Keep it off then come back an hour later and see if it pours at its full flow rate.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'll try that but hockey just came on so it might be a while. What an ordeal trying to get a full mug just then.

Whats a good tower to replace the stock one?

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Most likely you need more 3/16" line. I'm at 4700' elevation and we usually end up using ~10 feet of 3/16" vinyl to get decent pours. I've moved over to using EJ Beverage Ultra Barrier just because it doesn't suck up flavors like vinyl does. https://www.morebeer.com/products/ultra-barrier-pvc-free-tubing-316.html

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My elevation is 39 feet. I can see the ocean. Do I really need more line when. I've already got so much excess coiled up?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use 10 foot 3/16” ID lines at basically sea level. It helps provide more line resistance. Are yours the default 5’?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 15, 2023

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It depends what the inner diameter (ID) of the line is as well. 3/16" will give more resistance than 1/4". More resistance == less head.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

5 feet sounds right. The manual doesn't mention the width of the hose so I cant say exactly what it is.

There's sort of a T shaped thing at the top of the sankey fitting, and it has a slight bit of play, can turn one direction or the other just a half inch or so.

It appears to have threads, I've exerted quite a bit of force on it but it wont move more than that. Manual doesn't mention anything about it either. I dunno if it could possibly have any effect but I just find it weird.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Just get 10-12' of 3/16" ID hose and it'll pour fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Josh Wow posted:

Just get 10-12' of 3/16" ID hose and it'll pour fine.

Do this. It sounds like you haven’t balanced your lines at all, so excess foam is the symptom. If you want to be more precise this 10’ of 3/16” you can use a calculator, but 10’ at 12psi is going to be very nearly what it tells you. Keep most of it coiled on the inside of the kegerator and only run what you need up into the tower.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have the exact same Insignia as you. One of my Sankey taps produces more foam than the other for mystery reasons. I was going to replace them both eventually.

But yeah, it comes with 5’ of 3/16” ID line. Get 10’ of 3/16” and it’ll make a decent difference.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 15, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Best place to order from for Canada?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The weather went from enjoying a mic ultra cactus lime to piss rain and cold real fast . Still enjoying the remaining festbiers but having to dodge the spiced varieties a little early this season .

There’s otherwise been a collision of regional and slightly out of market IPAs trying to elbow themselves into the market . We’ve had some brewery consolidations and tap room closures that make it feel like we’ve maybe hit another slump with nothing exciting happening for a while . I know that could probably be said about some market every six months , but with Prison City and Sloop pushing some space away from Other Half here and the true locals settling in with just their usuals , it does feel like it’s ready for a bit of a crash this time .

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
What's the best way to clean and sanitize old growlers? I got some back from an old roommate - two full-size glass, one half-size glass, one half-size stainless steel - and I want to make sure they're clean for use. As far as I can tell they were fully rinsed, emptied, and dried after their last use, and have been sealed since then; there doesn't seem to be any residue/growth inside and only a very faint odor from a couple when I open them up, but that could just be stale air. That said, though, I don't think they've been used in at least 3 years, and I really want to be certain before I try to get them filled. Most of the stuff I find online seems to be aimed at cleaning growlers that had been used a lot more recently. Thanks!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pumpkin beers are still good

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Nukatap arrived yesterday. Definitely improved things, but I'm still going to get the 10' line as there is still too much head. Without any experience, looking at the fittings, how much trouble is it to replace the beer line?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

codo27 posted:

The Nukatap arrived yesterday. Definitely improved things, but I'm still going to get the 10' line as there is still too much head. Without any experience, looking at the fittings, how much trouble is it to replace the beer line?

You have to look at the line to figure out how the line is clamped onto the posts. Sometimes they’re screw clamps, there are compression fittings, and sometimes they use oetiker clamps. Once you know which one you’re taking off you’ll know if you need a new clamp (for the o-clamp) or can reuse the old ones (screw or compression).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not at home, but if you look at the product photos here you can kinda see how the line attaches to the coupler

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/insignia-insignia-1-tap-kegerator-ns-bk1tss6-silver-black-ns-bk1tss6/10456334

I'll just screenshot it

As for on the tower, I'm not sure at all.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you have a 2-tap, it’s really loving annoying to change the lines in the tower stone you need a large wrench to loosen the nuts inside it if you don’t want to buy a specialized $50 keg wrench whatever.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

ElectricRelaxation posted:

What's the best way to clean and sanitize old growlers? I got some back from an old roommate - two full-size glass, one half-size glass, one half-size stainless steel - and I want to make sure they're clean for use. As far as I can tell they were fully rinsed, emptied, and dried after their last use, and have been sealed since then; there doesn't seem to be any residue/growth inside and only a very faint odor from a couple when I open them up, but that could just be stale air. That said, though, I don't think they've been used in at least 3 years, and I really want to be certain before I try to get them filled. Most of the stuff I find online seems to be aimed at cleaning growlers that had been used a lot more recently. Thanks!

Diversol aka The Pink Stuff is the gold standard for cleaning and sanitizing

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you have a 2-tap, it’s really loving annoying to change the lines in the tower stone you need a large wrench to loosen the nuts inside it if you don’t want to buy a specialized $50 keg wrench whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-Hea...aps%2C97&sr=8-6

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Current keg was nearly empty and had a party last night so I picked up an extra one on Friday. Old one exhausted on the very first mug I poured. Swapped out for the fresh one, jolted it a bit more than I would have liked, first pour was perfect. Figured it would have been nothing but head at first. The Nukatap is a god send.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Havin' a Long Trail Apple Wheat ale while watching football today. It's pretty good!

Also, Go Birds.

Also, gently caress the Cowboys.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Y'all did me right with recommendations for my trip to Vermont, so here I am asking for some more... this time in Portland, OR.

We'll be spending 5 days out there (with one of those on the coast near Cannon Beach), so plenty of time to get around. Our AirBnb is in Sellwood, and we're relying mostly on public transportation. Although we do have a friend we're hanging out with that's willing to drive us around. Looking for good food, beer, any sights worth seeing that aren't crazy tourist spots, and a good place to get fresh AF oysters.

I'm already planning on passing through Tillamook to hit up De Garde on 'the way' to the coast. We might head east one day to do some hiking around Mt Hood but nothing is set in stone yet. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks everyone!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hair of the Dog's tasting room is closed, but they sell bottles for pickup, tons of really good barrel aged stuff: https://hairofthedog.com/product-category/beers/

Cascade is also fantastic, great sours. Really, Portland is super walkable, relatively small, and has a ton of good breweries. You can pick a neighborhood and hit 3 or 4 in an afternoon and almost certainly not get any duds.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
PFreim in Hood River is solid

If you're in Richmond the Imperial tap room has good variety to try a lot of stuff.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 8, 2023

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Merkin Muffley posted:

Y'all did me right with recommendations for my trip to Vermont, so here I am asking for some more... this time in Portland, OR.

We'll be spending 5 days out there (with one of those on the coast near Cannon Beach), so plenty of time to get around. Our AirBnb is in Sellwood, and we're relying mostly on public transportation. Although we do have a friend we're hanging out with that's willing to drive us around. Looking for good food, beer, any sights worth seeing that aren't crazy tourist spots, and a good place to get fresh AF oysters.

I'm already planning on passing through Tillamook to hit up De Garde on 'the way' to the coast. We might head east one day to do some hiking around Mt Hood but nothing is set in stone yet. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks everyone!

Being in Sellwood and using public transportation, I would recommend taking the Orange MAX line north to the area around SE 12th and Division. In that area I would recommend Baerlic Brewery, Chuckanut, and APEX. From there, you can take a bus east down Division to Little Beast Brewing, which is quietly making some of the best and most interesting beers in town, to hang out in their beer garden and eat KC BBQ. Or you can also head north from Division and hit up Cascade Brewing Barrel House, Living Haus Beer Co, and Wayfinder. Make sure you hit Wayfinder on your trip. To the SE of Sellwood, in Milwaukee, is the main production brewery and taproom for Breakside. They make great beer and are excellent people.

I'll second the recommendation for Pfriem if you are passing by Hood River on your Mt Hood area hiking day. They are in the running for best all around brewery in the state.

Going to the De Garde tasting room is a great idea. That is an hour detour from Cannon Beach, but worth the trip.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Lidl had a cool thing where you get 12 different German beers in the big cans. Had 3 so far. Not sure how "authentic" it is, but it's pretty fun concept.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Merkin Muffley posted:

I just got back from Portland last month, looking at Sellwood you're staying pretty far south so you'll be having to hop a ride north for most of the fun stuff I would recommend. You are not far from Gigantic Brewing which has some really good IPA all around and are fairly old school in PDX.

consensual poster posted:

Being in Sellwood and using public transportation, I would recommend taking the Orange MAX line north to the area around SE 12th and Division. In that area I would recommend Baerlic Brewery, Chuckanut, and APEX. From there, you can take a bus east down Division to Little Beast Brewing, which is quietly making some of the best and most interesting beers in town, to hang out in their beer garden and eat KC BBQ. Or you can also head north from Division and hit up Cascade Brewing Barrel House, Living Haus Beer Co, and Wayfinder. Make sure you hit Wayfinder on your trip. To the SE of Sellwood, in Milwaukee, is the main production brewery and taproom for Breakside. They make great beer and are excellent people.

I'll second the recommendation for Pfriem if you are passing by Hood River on your Mt Hood area hiking day. They are in the running for best all around brewery in the state.

Going to the De Garde tasting room is a great idea. That is an hour detour from Cannon Beach, but worth the trip.

Glad I read ahead before typing more because this guy hit up most of the spots I'd recommend. Bearlic is a personal fave and had the best pizza I've ever had

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Anybody here know what's happening with One Barrel Brewing in Egg Harbor WI? I know they closed their Madison taproom a while back. Commuter Kolsch has been a staple at my house, haven't bought it in a few weeks but I imagine it's still good. I had a Grandma's Cherry Crisp cider of theirs on tap the other day and it was the fakest grossest thing I've ever had out of a barrel. It tasted like the Christmas candle aisle at Kohl's smells. I had to do a loving sinus rinse that night as I still had that fake potpourri spice chemical smell permeating my head hours later. So if anyone knows if One Barrel is now in the liquid cancer business please spill the beans.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just found this thread, I have a couple of posts you might find interesting.

My neighbor is my beer buddy. For the past couple of years we've made an advent calendar for each other.

Last year:

This year:

I swapped out the Kasteel as I was advised that it tasted like poo poo. I drank it myself and yeah it tasted like poo poo.

I also just finished this up last night, as we have our Mad Elf tasting tonight.

I made this flight board for my neighbor and I to have our annual Mad Elf tasting.
(he has one bottle from each of the last 6 years saved, every year we move it up a notch. 2 years ago was the first one, last year we decided to get fancier with it since we were drinking out of 12 different kinds of glasses)

I printed out coasters with the years on card stock that will fit into the recesses for the glasses

My co-worker made the logo up for me as he's really good at CNC stuff (that cost me a case of Peroni) and I colored it in using paint markers and hit it with a couple coats of poly.

I used the old elf logo because I like it better than the current one, and it is also visually a lot simpler so I figured that would help with turning it into something that can be carved.

The wood is maple.

Anyway I like beer, so I'll be lurking this thread.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 15, 2023

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Mad Elf, eh?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Yep. My neighbor really likes it, I like it, and it’s a good excuse to get together and drink some beers before Christmas.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

How does your neighbor feel about cigars and headphones?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Is your neighbor a regular or just some person coming to buy your wares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have no idea what either of those are referring to but anyway.

I wasn’t surprised at the differences between the years due to last year’s tasting but the dramatic switch between 20 and 21 as far as taste goes is surprising. Unfortunately we don’t keep notes (maybe next year) but it was interesting. I don’t know if the taste of the individual years changes over time, but it is definitely different from year to year

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 16, 2023