Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Quiet Feet posted:

Is that out again? I thought they discontinued it for Alpine Spring, which is actually really good but pissed me off because I had Noble Pils all of once and kept missing it since spring is apparently late January through mid-march now. :argh:

I thought Alpine Spring was replacing it in the Seasonal beers, and Noble Pils was going to be produced year round.

I hope I'm right. :ohdear:

For the record, I like Alpine Spring, but it can't hold Noble Pils' jock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/03/tallgrass-brewing-goes-all-in-with-video-game-inspired-8-bit-pale-ale/

This is pretty hilarious.

I have no clue how good this brewery is, but Galaxy Hops in a can? WHY DOESN'T HALF ACRE DO THIS

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I have two cats and I've never once drank something that smelled like their piss. I think I'd gag before it got within six inches of my face.

quote:

I thought Alpine Spring was replacing it in the Seasonal beers, and Noble Pils was going to be produced year round.
I hope sot, too. Noble Pils is pretty tasty. Alpine Spring is decent, still.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I didn't care for Alpine spring at all - it tasted way too sweet. Maybe the bourbon I had beforehand caused that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Paul Proteus posted:

I have no clue how good this brewery is, but Galaxy Hops in a can? WHY DOESN'T HALF ACRE DO THIS

FWIW I've had several Tallgrass beers and not enjoyed any of them.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

FWIW I've had several Tallgrass beers and not enjoyed any of them.

Buffalo Sweat is okay, but none of the four i've tasted are anything i'd go out of the way for.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So... after having Spring House's Big Gruesome PB Stout on tap the other day... and noting the brewery had a Lancaster, PA address.. I did a little research, found out their taproom(brewpub) restaurant was only about 40 minutes away , so I decided to head up a few beers and some takeout growlers(after shooting some emails back and forth with the owner to verify hours and growler sales).

http://springhousebeer.com/

Headed up there, got lost as the website had the brewery address listed first, and I didnt' notice the taproom had a separate address. Wasted about 20 minutes and a gallon or two of gas figuring that out.

Finally found the place, was pretty full, and no full service. Lots of tables but you had to go up and order and they'd yell for you when your food was done. Really cool atmosphere, lots of comic paintings of their beers all over the walls, and after the business after work crowd started leaving, the hipsters invaded.. and while the ratio of really cute girls to guys was solid, it definitely wasn't my scene.

Thats their menu board for beers tonite. Their 7 Gates Pale Ale is the only beer that they currently bottle, and its contracted through Appalachian Brewery. I used to see it on shelves all the time, it's apparently gotten really popular around these parts and Appalachian can't keep up. The brewmaster recently bought a 22oz bottling line and is going to start doing just 22ozs for sale at his bar, and at a bottle shop or two.

Their Seven Gates Pale Ale is pretty solid normally... however tonight(not my picture, stolen from thehir Facebook)

It was running thru Randall. Randall was filled with lemons, grapefruits and nugget hops. My first experience with a Randall beer, and it was pretty interesting. Really expanded on the pale ale's natural hop notes by adding more citrus and more hops... reallly enjoyed it.

Also had their Diabolical Dr Wit, and, well, while it wasn't a traditional Wit(my favorite is still St Bernardus or for much cheaper, Victory's Whirlwind), it was downright tasty. It tasted like lemon pine sol. But not in a bad way. It had strong lemon notes in the nose and taste, and also had the piney hop backbone. After half the glass we both decided it was like a lemonade beer, and I could drink that on the porch all summer.

Wet Paint Guava Ale - Have not had the new CC Guava Grove yet, but I imagine this was what they were going for. Smooth Guava taste, really good beer. Wouldnt' want more than a glass or two of this, but it was really interesting.

Took home 2 growlers to drink with my buddy last night, and grabbed a growler of thier Kerplunk! Chocolate Stout, and their Big Gruesome Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout.

They were pretty similar with Kerplunk just being Gruesome without the PB... very solid beers. My best analogy for them, would be this is what Soutern Tier's Blackwater series SHOULD be... smooth drinking beers that have a dessert hint to them, not drinking liquid dessert.

All in all, a great time, everything was reasonably priced ($7 for a screw top growler, $30 for a fancy swing top handled one) and $9 to $15 for a fill.

Experience a Randall filtered beer was amazing, and apparently they run Big Gruesome thru Cocoa Nibs and Peanut Butter baking morsels in the fall when it first comes out.

For such a small, one man brewery, the guy does a great job, really loves what he does, and seems to have a great following.

I will be back!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

something my girlfriend was drinking the other day smelled remarkably like cat piss, but i didn't say anything because she was enjoying it. can't remember what it was; i wasn't interested in drinking it, myself.

Savignon Blancs, especially from Marlborough (New Zealand), frequently have that and it's considered a positive trait. I've heard more delicate people refer to it as "boxwood aroma," but it's definite cat piss to me. I've never gotten it from simcoe, nor has my friend who loves simcoe above all other hops and is a veterinary technician. I suspect he'd feel differently about them if he did.

Noses are weird things.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Anyone else here had Founders' Double Trouble IPA? Got a 4 pack and I'm on my third, at 9.4% the alcohol is masked really well by lots of hops and orange/pineapple citrus going on. Golden amber color, not much lacing, pretty well balanced, solid DIPA.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Anyone else here had Founders' Double Trouble IPA? Got a 4 pack and I'm on my third, at 9.4% the alcohol is masked really well by lots of hops and orange/pineapple citrus going on. Golden amber color, not much lacing, pretty well balanced, solid DIPA.

Honestly, Double Trouble is one of Founders weaker beers. Not that it's outright bad, but there are definitely better options for the price.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Unfortunately I pulled the 'onion' flavor from Double Trouble, and it's the only Founder's beer I've tried that I didn't like. It also probably didn't help that I picked up a 4 pack of this the same weekend I got a 4 pack of Head Hunter IPA, which I feel is a vastly superior IPA.

I really, really wish I would have been able to pull more of the citrus flavors from Double Trouble, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more. My palate/nose just pulled out all the 'off' flavors, for whatever reason.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I can definitely see where you're coming from with the onion taste, I probably won't be getting this again. Not as good as a Double Wide or Hop Wallop, or even Maximus IPA to me

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

I can definitely see where you're coming from with the onion taste, I probably won't be getting this again. Not as good as a Double Wide or Hop Wallop, or even Maximus IPA to me

I've yet to try Maximus for whatever crazy reason. I've never actually seen it on tap, and every time I go to the store I'm enticed to buy something else instead.

My local beer store ALWAYS has Maximus, but there always seems to be another limited/seasonal beer which I grab instead. One of these days...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

LeeMajors posted:

I hope I'm right. :ohdear:

For the record, I like Alpine Spring, but it can't hold Noble Pils' jock.

If that's true that's wonderful news. I actually liked Alpine Spring better than Noble Pils but my most recent taste of the latter was like two years ago and I'd love the chance to change my mind.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Quiet Feet posted:

If that's true that's wonderful news. I actually liked Alpine Spring better than Noble Pils but my most recent taste of the latter was like two years ago and I'd love the chance to change my mind.

He's right, their site lists Noble Pils as a year round beer. I'm actually drinking some right now, and it's as good as I remember it being, but still not quite as good as Prima Pils.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Kudosx posted:

I've yet to try Maximus for whatever crazy reason. I've never actually seen it on tap, and every time I go to the store I'm enticed to buy something else instead.

My local beer store ALWAYS has Maximus, but there always seems to be another limited/seasonal beer which I grab instead. One of these days...

Maximus is probably my favorite Lagunitas offering. Delicious hops which really offset the typical heavy maltiness of the Lagunitas strong ale.

On the Alpine Spring-Noble Pils debate I am strangely on the Alpine Spring bandwagon. I never really cared for Noble Pils but was really expecting something delicious. Alpine Spring on the other hand is a completely inoffensive, pleasant beer which is just tasty and light. I've enjoyed it immensely every time I've drunk it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Had a pint of Left Hand smokejumper imperial porter at lunch and it was awesome. Not as smoky as I was expecting, but had a nice chocolatey roastiness and was balanced for being pretty high alcohol.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Just got a beer by Goose Island, Fleur - Belgian Style Ale. It was bottled over a year ago, so it should be good :ohdear:

I have no idea how to review beer, but I'll give it a shot if I remember to post later!

edit: Also, if anyone is looking for Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, the beer distributor in Portchester, NY has a few on their shelf.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Had a pint of Left Hand smokejumper imperial porter at lunch and it was awesome. Not as smoky as I was expecting, but had a nice chocolatey roastiness and was balanced for being pretty high alcohol.

Oh snap that's out now?! :jumps in car, drives to Longmont:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Oh snap that's out now?! :jumps in car, drives to Longmont:

I suppose so, and did I forget to mention it was a cask. :smug:

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Vertigo posted:

at Brewvival this year they had 90 minute Randallized through habaneros and bacon. It was a good novelty beer and very spicy but not something I would buy bottled.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ridonkulous posted:

at Brewvival this year they had 90 minute Randallized through habaneros and bacon. It was a good novelty beer and very spicy but not something I would buy bottled.

I couldn't make it this year, I had to work. :negative:

Of course last year I got so drunk I drank a can of 4Loko to wake up, blacked out before 9pm and ended up doing tequila shots at Surf Bar until 4am. I love knowing the owners of a bar really well.

In OYSTER STOUT NEWS (DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM)

Here is an expose' of local COAST brewery's Bulls Bay Oyster Stout....interesting info for the osmoconformerphobic.......

Interesting Read: God Bless the Lowcountry

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Ridonkulous posted:

Yeah? Apparently they filtered their DIPA at Spring House through bacon and jalapenos the other night.. probably where they got their inspiration.

Guy next to us said that he thought it was downright disgusting, but the guy next to him had 3 or 4 half pints of it, swearing by it.

I love weird poo poo. It's what makes craft beer so fun.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

azerdude32 posted:

Just got a beer by Goose Island, Fleur - Belgian Style Ale. It was bottled over a year ago, so it should be good :ohdear:

I have no idea how to review beer, but I'll give it a shot if I remember to post later!

edit: Also, if anyone is looking for Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, the beer distributor in Portchester, NY has a few on their shelf.

I love Fleur. I still have a bottle I picked up when I went to Chicago last June.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Vertigo posted:

Yeah? Apparently they filtered their DIPA at Spring House through bacon and jalapenos the other night.. probably where they got their inspiration.

Guy next to us said that he thought it was downright disgusting, but the guy next to him had 3 or 4 half pints of it, swearing by it.

I love weird poo poo. It's what makes craft beer so fun.

I would try it again, especially with a pepper that isn't as hot.

And I really like hot stuff, but it was overboard.

ass is hometown fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 4, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

I suppose so, and did I forget to mention it was a cask. :smug:

Just contacted my buds over there and they reckon it had to be a "saved" thing, cos it ain't coming for a little bit this year yet. Whew!

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Found a little gold mine of these two... sitting on shelves still 8+ deep each. Sometimes I hardly don't get a chance at limited releases... then there's ones that we get an abundance of.

How long should I age these? I got 2 of each, plus one to drink now.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

chomper posted:

How long should I age these? I got 2 of each, plus one to drink now.

You can safely age either of them for ~5 years or so. I'm usually afraid of beers losing carbonation after that point, or oxidizing, but I've heard of plenty of people aging beers for 10+ years and them still having carbonation.

I'm fairly impatient, so I couldn't see myself aging a beer for more than two years unless it was something really special.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Just killed a bomber of Exponential Hoppiness... IN Los Angeles.

Take that, Alpine 30 minutes East of S.D. backwoods locals!

Seriously though, it's a good beer.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Jack Skeleton posted:

Just killed a bomber of Exponential Hoppiness... IN Los Angeles.

Take that, Alpine 30 minutes East of S.D. backwoods locals!

Seriously though, it's a good beer.

Be careful. He might stop brewing it altogether if people outside of a reasonable driving distance from San Diego continue to know about this beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

CalvinDooglas posted:

if people outside of a reasonable driving distance from San Diego

So, most San Diegans? I'm lucky in that I can make a round trip growler fill run to Alpine and back in 55 minutes. That same trip's about two and a quarter, two and a half hours for someone who lives, say, by the beach, making their concept of 'locals' pretty silly.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

So, most San Diegans? I'm lucky in that I can make a round trip growler fill run to Alpine and back in 55 minutes. That same trip's about two and a quarter, two and a half hours for someone who lives, say, by the beach, making their concept of 'locals' pretty silly.

One reason I'm glad I don't live in California: traffic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kudosx posted:

It's 73 degrees outside without a cloud in the sky and it's a 5 minute drive to Alesmith, Green Flash and Ballast Point. :smug:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Apparently Drake's Brewery is available in Vegas now. I picked up a Drakonic Imperial Stout and opened it last night. Big, malty but not too sweet, more brown sugar notes than coffee or chocolate. It seemed kind of hot for 8.5 abv, but it was quite drinkable and I'll probably pick it up again.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Kudosx posted:

It's not traffic, it's distance, which makes it 55 minutes. Alpine's a loving JAUNT, which was my point, that if they're prioritizing selling beer to 'locals' then their customer base will remain ridiculously small because nobody really lives out there.

Angry Grimace posted:

It's 73 degrees outside without a cloud in the sky and it's a 5 minute drive to Alesmith, Green Flash and Ballast Point. :smug:

Helluva counterpoint.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

It's not traffic, it's distance, which makes it 55 minutes. Alpine's a loving JAUNT, which was my point, that if they're prioritizing selling beer to 'locals' then their customer base will remain ridiculously small because nobody really lives out there.

Ah, woops. I thought it was traffic that made it such a long trip!

Angry Grimace posted:

I really wish we got Ballast Point distributed to OH... I want to try some more dank Cali IPAs! I also really wish that you folks got to try some of OH's IPAs... we have some good ones, I swear!

Edit: In other news, Fat Head's in OH won the National IPA Championship, and they've won it 2 out of the last 3 years. Their Head Hunter IPA won it. It's one of my favorite IPAs I've ever tried, I'm really glad they're opening a production brewery!

Here's the bracket if anyone is interested http://brackets.brewingnews.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=418946

It beat beers like Firestone Walker Union Jack, Green Flash West Coast IPA, and Ithaca Flower Power along the way, pretty impressive run!

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 4, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The first fruits of Jester King's lawsuit are sprouting -- Alaskan Brewing launches in TX in two days :woop:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
http://www.stonebrew.com/calendar/default.asp?intEventsID=2095#2095

That's pretty cool.

And if that's not enough for you, we'll also pour you a beer straight from our fermenter tank into your glass. Buy a token at the bar for the freshest beer we've ever served to the public. It's so fresh that we won't know what we're pouring til that day! Tokens may be purchased from the bar at any time before 7pm, but fermenter access is from 6pm to 7pm ONLY.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Flat beer that's not done conditioning yet? Where do I pay?!?

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Docjowles posted:

Flat beer that's not done conditioning yet? Where do I pay?!?

I'm pretty sure it's right before kegging... otherwise yeah nasty.