Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It won't be nasty unless it's still fermenting. In general. Some beers are pretty awesome off the tanks. Lagers shine if you like a slight sulfury note (who doesn't?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Drinking a HopDevil and man sometimes it's nice to just drink a "standard" beer. This is a great IPA that's easily available, though I do get a slight onion taste out of it like I did from Double Trouble. Either way it's nice to have this on tap at almost any bar in the area.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I imagine they have an in line carbonation system for that? I hope..

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah sorry that was a little douchey. I still think it's a silly gimmick but whatever, it does really depend on what stage in the process they're talking about as Munkaboo said. They said "straight from the fermenter" and I got hung up on that but I don't really know anything about Stone's process or equipment.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to San Antonio, TX in a couple weeks. There's a few breweries in town it looks like, anyone know anything about them? We may also day trip up to Austin, although it's SXSW that week so the city should be a total shitshow.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Kudosx posted:

Edit: In other news, Fat Head's in OH won the National IPA Championship, and they've won it 2 out of the last 3 years. Their Head Hunter IPA won it. It's one of my favorite IPAs I've ever tried, I'm really glad they're opening a production brewery!

Here's the bracket if anyone is interested http://brackets.brewingnews.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=418946

It beat beers like Firestone Walker Union Jack, Green Flash West Coast IPA, and Ithaca Flower Power along the way, pretty impressive run!

They won the Brewing News National IPA Championship.

Any IPA competition where vile poo poo like the Widmer Spiced IPA not only makes it to the 4th round, but beats good beers like Hopworks IPA and Elysian Idiot Sauvin is not a competition I can take seriously. Also, Full Sail's IPA, while a pretty good beer, should not make it to the semi-final round of an IPA competition.

Edit: not down on the Fat Head IPA in any way. I've never had it, nor many of the other beers in there. From the results of the beers that I have had, the bracket is a real head-scratcher. Who judged this competition?

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 5, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I went to the original FatHeads in Pittsburgh. It was pretty cool and their house beers are pretty good. Better than Two Hearted, Flower Power, Green Flash West Coast, and Hopsecutioner? Not so sure about that.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I went to the original FatHeads in Pittsburgh. It was pretty cool and their house beers are pretty good. Better than Two Hearted, Flower Power, Green Flash West Coast, and Hopsecutioner? Not so sure about that.

Did you try Head Hunter? I personally like it more than all of those IPAs, and I've tried all of them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
People like different things than others? That beer contest wasn't meant to be seen as an end-all be-all list for IPAs? My world is upside down now!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

They won the Brewing News National IPA Championship.

Any IPA competition where vile poo poo like the Widmer Spiced IPA not only makes it to the 4th round, but beats good beers like Hopworks IPA and Elysian Idiot Sauvin is not a competition I can take seriously. Also, Full Sail's IPA, while a pretty good beer, should not make it to the semi-final round of an IPA competition.

Edit: not down on the Fat Head IPA in any way. I've never had it, nor many of the other beers in there. From the results of the beers that I have had, the bracket is a real head-scratcher. Who judged this competition?

I had a Widmer Spiced IPA tonight and thought it was pretty good. :shobon:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

People like different things than others? That beer contest wasn't meant to be seen as an end-all be-all list for IPAs? My world is upside down now!

I wasn't trying to say it was... Sorry for trying to post a link about beer in a beer thread!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Your link was fine, I found it interesting. I was mostly directing it at people attacking it as if it were an end-all authority. It's nothing more than opinion.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

Your link was fine, I found it interesting. I was mostly directing it at people attacking it as if it were an end-all authority. It's nothing more than opinion.

Ah, okay. woops! I misinterpreted what you were saying a bit :D

I agree, it's not an end-all authority, just pretty cool that a brewery within 45 minutes from me has a respectable IPA!

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

You do realize that one can acknowledge the fact that people can have different tastes than others and still think that a given preference is surprising, don't you?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You do realize stating your opinion as a fact makes you look like an elitist jerk don't you? If you don't like being called out on it, don't be a complete elitist jerk next time. It seems you're smart enough to accept that people can have differing opinions, how about acting like it.

4 HopDevils in and I'm still enjoying them, which is rare for me. I'm glad that Victory is close enough to ensure that all of the beer here is fresh, thanks to various reasons.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

4 HopDevils in and I'm still enjoying them, which is rare for me. I'm glad that Victory is close enough to ensure that all of the beer here is fresh, thanks to various reasons.

I've yet to try Hop Devil, I really need to. I tried Hop Wallop and it was pretty good, but I've yet to try their single IPA.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

It's solid, I don't think I'd drink it that often if it weren't "local" though. HopDevil is usually the best beer at typical bars around here so you get used to it really quick. It's rather popular because of that and people tend to buy it up in stores ensuring it's fresh which is nice. The 6 pack I got from my shop is best before May 22, which is still decently fresh and our turnover rate is low compared to most stores.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?
So, what's the opinion on RJ Rocker beers? Never had it before, saw it for the first time at the liquor store the other day. Bought the Black Perle, a dark IPA with a lot of perle hops. I'm generally not crazy about black IPA's but it's supposed to be good I guess. I'm always happy to try something from a new brewery so looking forward to it, just haven't heard much about them anywhere at all so wondering if they have any other good beers I should try or whatever. Store is supposed to get in some sampler packs from them too so I might pick one up, I dunno.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

You do realize stating your opinion as a fact makes you look like an elitist jerk don't you? If you don't like being called out on it, don't be a complete elitist jerk next time. It seems you're smart enough to accept that people can have differing opinions, how about acting like it.

Just for clarification, could you quote that bit where he stated his opinion as fact? Try as I might, I couldn't find any evidence of him doing so.

Anyways, I'd never had a Flying Dog beer before trying out Raging Bitch tonight. To be honest I've avoided them based on the art; however, after tonight I'm a bit more partial towards trying them. Definitely a case of shooting myself in the foot based purely on label aesthetics. Any other must-haves from them, or did I just manage to grab the best one?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

I have no idea what you're even ranting about here. Only total spergs require other people to actually state that their opinions are opinions because its patent that when you say something obviously subjective, it's an opinion.

I had a Red Chair IPA and I'm totally confused. It tastes extremely malt-forward with barely any hops at all. It's like a strong amber/red ale as opposed to an IPA. Is it just the ABV that's causing them to classify it as an IPA?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I have no idea what you're even ranting about here. Only total spergs require other people to actually state that their opinions are opinions because its patent that when you say something obviously subjective, it's an opinion.

I had a Red Chair IPA and I'm totally confused. It tastes extremely malt-forward with barely any hops at all. It's like a strong amber/red ale as opposed to an IPA. Is it just the ABV that's causing them to classify it as an IPA?

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get what the fuss over my comments was about.

Re: Red Chair, it seems that we've gotten to the point in our hop craze that there is now enough of a gap between Pale Ale and IPA for a whole new category (Extra Pale, Strong Pale, etc.) I'm pretty sure that Deschutes calls it something silly like a "Northwest Pale Ale" rather than an IPA. The beer is around 6% ABV and 60 IBU, so it's basically a malty version of what USED to be called an IPA. Kind of funny that 60 IBU is not considered very hoppy anymore.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

James Bont posted:

So, what's the opinion on RJ Rocker beers? Never had it before, saw it for the first time at the liquor store the other day. Bought the Black Perle

if you're curious and it's the next thing you haven't tried, go for it, but the regular lineup is nothing special.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'd never had a Flying Dog beer before trying out Raging Bitch tonight...

i think that's considered their best, but not being an IPA guy, i can't say. Gonzo and Kujo are both pretty good (enough that i've almost bought $18 BA Gonzo Southside has), but all of their lighter-colored beers i've tried have a strange taste- house yeast strain?- that puts me off.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Red Chair is a "not bitter" IPA. The hops are all in the aroma, almost none for actual bittering.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Docjowles posted:

On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to San Antonio, TX in a couple weeks. There's a few breweries in town it looks like, anyone know anything about them? We may also day trip up to Austin, although it's SXSW that week so the city should be a total shitshow.

Their Flying Saucer is the one decent beer bar in SA. I wouldn't call it good because they are inconsistent about cleaning their lines.

Freetail is the one place that's a must-visit in that city. IMO best brewpub in Texas. Old Bat Rastard (a winter warmer) was released this past weekend in bottles.
E: Also forgot something important. If you are into sours/wild ales, the new batch of Ananke is ready to go. It's a wild ale aged in wine barrels, so more delicate and not aggressive on the tartness. Bottles will come out in April but I think there's a good likelihood you can find it on draft at the brewpub when you go. Most updated drafts will be on Facebook/Twitter.

You could go to Blue Star and Ranger Creek but can't say anything more as I've never personally been to either.

It's worth spending some time in Austin and I think it's a more fun town as far as a place to visit. Jester King is actually throwing a party for a beer release on the 17th if you're interested. Other breweries to visit are (512), Live Oak, Austin Beerworks, and Adelworks. My favorite bar in the entire state is Draughthouse and be sure to go on Tuesday night when all pints are discounted. I also like their Gingerman and Flying Saucer. NXNW and Black Star are interesting brewpubs too, except they are a little farther north of downtown. Shop at the Whole Foods downtown and Whip In (you can also drink at Whip In, they usually have at least one hard to find local TX craft on draft).

Also people exaggerate on how bad it gets during SXSW. Shoot me a PM if you end up going and you have more questions. This will be my 5th time going and I'd be glad to help you out.

air- fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 5, 2012

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Just for clarification, could you quote that bit where he stated his opinion as fact? Try as I might, I couldn't find any evidence of him doing so.

Anyways, I'd never had a Flying Dog beer before trying out Raging Bitch tonight. To be honest I've avoided them based on the art; however, after tonight I'm a bit more partial towards trying them. Definitely a case of shooting myself in the foot based purely on label aesthetics. Any other must-haves from them, or did I just manage to grab the best one?

Gonzo, Kujo, Double Dog, In-Heat Wheat, Snake dog IPA are all good and worth a taste.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Well, after talking last week about how the Mikkeller tasting was underwhelming and how his beer's were all overpriced...I of course found 1 bottle of Beer Geek Brunch Weasel sitting on the shelf of a shop this weekend. So I had to pick that up. Looking forward to drinking fermented weasel shits this week!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Retemnav posted:

Well, after talking last week about how the Mikkeller tasting was underwhelming and how his beer's were all overpriced...I of course found 1 bottle of Beer Geek Brunch Weasel sitting on the shelf of a shop this weekend. So I had to pick that up. Looking forward to drinking fermented weasel shits this week!

If you want fermented weasel poo poo I could have given you that at a far more reasonable price....

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Retemnav posted:

It's fermented weasel poo poo coffee. I think its definitely one of his better beers.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I liked Brunch Weasel quite a lot as well. The whole weasel poo poo coffee thing is loving retarded, but Mikkeller at least made a good coffee stout out of overhyped poo poo coffee.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

San Antonio

I went to Freetail like a year ago and judging by its very positive Internet rep I must have just come on an off day -- no interesting beer on offer, lovely food, far-too-drunk frat dudes getting aggressive with me at the bar. I need to come back sometime, maybe during a release. As it was I liked the Blue Star a hell of a lot more -- better beer (especially in the styles I like), better food, and also right by the Riverwalk where you can borrow a bike and work off those beer calories beforehand.

Otherwise I'd agree that if at all possible, spend time in Austin instead if it's beer you are looking for.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Mikkeller has as many bad misses as he does hits but Brunch Weasel is loving fantastic.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I went to Freetail like a year ago and judging by its very positive Internet rep I must have just come on an off day -- no interesting beer on offer, lovely food, far-too-drunk frat dudes getting aggressive with me at the bar. I need to come back sometime, maybe during a release. As it was I liked the Blue Star a hell of a lot more -- better beer (especially in the styles I like), better food, and also right by the Riverwalk where you can borrow a bike and work off those beer calories beforehand.

Otherwise I'd agree that if at all possible, spend time in Austin instead if it's beer you are looking for.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate nature about Freetail. If you come when they haven't done a release in the recent timeframe, they usually won't have anything interesting on. When there's a release, they will have their top beers available and they put at least a few interesting TX craft handles on. The food there has always been meh to me, but it's nice for bar food since nothing is fried. Overall best time to go is November for Dia De La Muerta, especially for the crazy bottle share.

Other big news: Alaskan Brewing is now available in Texas! I do like their Smoked Porter but haven't tried anything else.

Also, Stillwater is opening a pub/bottle shop/cafe in Baltimore!

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Yea, everything I'd heard about it was that it is one of his better beers.

Also, got to go to the Olde Hickory brewery and taproom this weekend, and I've got to say, they're putting out some pretty good beers. Both their Weizen Bock and their Irish Walker barley wine were awesome. I was hoping they'd have their Seven Devils on tap because it was really good in the bottle, but they had a barrel aged Imperial Brown on instead. It was a little too thin to hold up against the bourbon, for my tastes.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

bartolimu posted:

I liked Brunch Weasel quite a lot as well. The whole weasel poo poo coffee thing is loving retarded, but Mikkeller at least made a good coffee stout out of overhyped poo poo coffee.

I've never had Kopi Luwak coffee, but Alesmith's Speedway variant using those beans is ridiculous, probably one of my three favorite beers ever. I know they can make great work of beans that haven't traveled through the digestive system of a rodent, but the fact still remains that their best work with coffee has been with the so-called world's greatest beans.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
What are some good seasonal releases I should keep an eye out for in the OK/TX area in the next month or so? Bigfoot and Colette have already been mentioned (and last weekend I discovered that Bigfoot is v. nice stuff!), but I want to know if I should keep an eye out for anything that might otherwise pass unnoticed.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

What are some good seasonal releases I should keep an eye out for in the OK/TX area in the next month or so? Bigfoot and Colette have already been mentioned (and last weekend I discovered that Bigfoot is v. nice stuff!), but I want to know if I should keep an eye out for anything that might otherwise pass unnoticed.

(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter
St. Arnold Spring Bock
Real Ale Phoenixx ESB
Real Ale Devil's Backbone Tripel

I believe OK now gets Jolly Pumpkin too, so someone could chime in for that?

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

air- posted:

Everything they make is good to astounding. Start with the Oro de Calabaza, La Roja, or Weizen Bam.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?

funkybottoms posted:

if you're curious and it's the next thing you haven't tried, go for it, but the regular lineup is nothing special.

That's about what I figured, thanks. I'm glad I don't have to go try more from them because I've been falling behind on my drinking lately, got sick but was still buying beer anyways so now I have like a weeks worth of booze to drink. Poor me!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

air- posted:

Pass on the E.S. Bam and I wasn't a huge fan of Calabaza Blanca.

Totally get Madrugada Obscura

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Guess who's back in the muthafuckin' house? :D

Not sure when its official re-release is, but a firkin of it went on during Day of the Living Ales and Goose Island employees have access to it. It's as good as I remember it being - rich and toasty, with a nice balance from Fuggle hops. I'm super-proud to have been involved in making the new batches.

Now, if only there were plans to re-release Oatmeal Stout... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I asked Jonathan about that, but got no reply. Oatmeal Stout is the only GI regular brew that I really really enjoy.