Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Other big news: Alaskan Brewing is now available in Texas! I do like their Smoked Porter but haven't tried anything else.

That + barleywine is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Winners of the Cipher contest are out: http://www.halfacrebeer.com/blog/2012/03/05/414/

Any of you goons Sonny Sherwood? I sure hope so.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

BoredByThis posted:

I asked Jonathan about that, but got no reply. Oatmeal Stout is the only GI regular brew that I really really enjoy.

According to the people I've asked in the brewery, there are no plans to do any Oatmeal Stout this year. Next year is a possibility, but nothing for sure yet. It's a shame, because Oatmeal Stout is my favorite of the regulars too.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Ubik posted:

According to the people I've asked in the brewery, there are no plans to do any Oatmeal Stout this year. Next year is a possibility, but nothing for sure yet. It's a shame, because Oatmeal Stout is my favorite of the regulars too.

This makes me sad I didn't try the Oatmeal Stout Ice cream float combo

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I didn't win. Oh well.

I did open my bottle of Central Waters Exodus and was blown away by the funky vinous character on the nose and the tart apple and subdued pie cherries and very muted but present bourbon character. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Any of you ever heard of Brewhop in San Diego? Basically a brewery your that will take you around for 5 hours to any SD brewery.

Was thinking of doing Alpine/Lost Abbey/Alesmith, but alpine is so far out of the way and the tour lady said they dont really do anything special for the tour clients whereas everyone else does (why does this not surprise me).

I think I may actually do Stone -> Lost Abbey/Port -> Alesmith -> have them drop us off at Pizza Port Ocean Beach.

poo poo imma be drunk.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Man, 1 in 26 chance to win. Those are some great odds. Sucks no Chigoons won =/.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Munkaboo posted:

Any of you ever heard of Brewhop in San Diego? Basically a brewery your that will take you around for 5 hours to any SD brewery.

Was thinking of doing Alpine/Lost Abbey/Alesmith, but alpine is so far out of the way and the tour lady said they dont really do anything special for the tour clients whereas everyone else does (why does this not surprise me).

I think I may actually do Stone -> Lost Abbey/Port -> Alesmith -> have them drop us off at Pizza Port Ocean Beach.

poo poo imma be drunk.
Alesmith isn't really worth going to on that kind of tour, in my opinion. In general, they have nothing on tap there that they don't bottle beyond one selection that's readily on tap everywhere, i.e. My Bloody Valentine (which is a rather plain Red Ale).

Green Flash and Ballast Point are both nearby there if you want to stick to that area, but if you want to get really obscure, there's a nanobrewery near Alesmith called Hess Brewing that does a few interesting things.

There's also Iron Fist brewing relatively near Port and Stone, so you could just start all the way east and move west to the coast and end up at Pizza Port Carlsbad and have more time drinking and less time traveling.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Alesmith isn't really worth going to on that kind of tour, in my opinion. In general, they have nothing on tap there that they don't bottle beyond one selection that's readily on tap everywhere, i.e. My Bloody Valentine (which is a rather plain Red Ale).

Green Flash and Ballast Point are both nearby there if you want to stick to that area, but if you want to get really obscure, there's a nanobrewery near Alesmith called Hess Brewing that does a few interesting things.

There's also Iron Fist brewing relatively near Port and Stone, so you could just start all the way east and move west to the coast and end up at Pizza Port Carlsbad and have more time drinking and less time traveling.

Carlsbad is a bit out of the way to end, I'd prefer to be closer to our hotel in the Gaslamp district. But point taken on Alesmith, I'll bring it up with the tour lady.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Munkaboo posted:

Carlsbad is a bit out of the way to end, I'd prefer to be closer to our hotel in the Gaslamp district. But point taken on Alesmith, I'll bring it up with the tour lady.

Ballast Point will always have at least 3 special beers that aren't bottled/distributed much or are seasonals if that's something you find interesting. Don't ever get roped into going to the Home Brew Mart location though, they have a lease on there that won't let them sell pints. They have more weird/limited brews, but you can't buy anything but a taster and can only buy one of each variety per day (really).

But yeah, it really sucks that Alpine is so far out there. It's definitely one of the best places and have a ton of stuff, although for the most part you just hang out in the attached bar next door (which does mean you get to sit down).

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

That + barleywine is where it's at.

And the Baltic Porter

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
In the last thread people were comparing IPA/IIPA hype last year (and before) to this year.

Last year, Monk's Cafe in Philly got their one and only keg of Pliny the Younger and the line outside the door by the time they opened was more people than the number of tasting glasses in the keg.

This year they started serving PtY at 11:30am and at 5pm they apparently still have some left.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

In the last thread people were comparing IPA/IIPA hype last year (and before) to this year.

Last year, Monk's Cafe in Philly got their one and only keg of Pliny the Younger and the line outside the door by the time they opened was more people than the number of tasting glasses in the keg.

This year they started serving PtY at 11:30am and at 5pm they apparently still have some left.

Just got replaced with zwanze day

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

That or I'm convinced everyone had it and thought "Elder's better anyway"

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

SUPER HASSLER posted:

That or I'm convinced everyone had it and thought "Elder's better anyway"

That was what I thought, last year.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I had Younger and enjoyed it, but there's nothing about it that makes any of the event surrounding it worth it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I lined up for it at Pinocchio's on Leap Day, they started pouring at 10:30am and it kicked in 12 minutes.

I lined up for it 'cause I hadn't had it before. Now I've had it, I won't line up for it again.

A while ago at Teresa's, this happened:

Look at that list. That poo poo's pretty bonkers. Obviously a line down the sidewalk when they opened their doors. I looked down the bar, and what's everyone drinking? Not the Supplication, Consecration, or Temptation, not the Trappist quad or the Van De Garre Tripel (which is amazing and served at a handful of bars in the world), not the Cantillon Fou'Foune. Everyone's got a CBS in front of them, myself included. Because hardly any of us had had it before.

Novelty matters a lot. Then once it's not novel anymore you move on.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Phanatic posted:

A while ago at Teresa's, this happened:

That's a killer line up. There are only a handful of beers on that list that I've never had, but to be honest I'd rather have a Jaundrain-Jaundrainel saison or an Iris again than have a CBS for the first time.

Although that's kind of a lie, because I know my wife will always order things like the CBS that are big and shiny that she's never had, so I can get a taste while still ordering my favorites.

Either way, I definately get your point and agree with you. drat I want a Cantillon now, though. I might need to see what lambics we have in the fridge.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Teresa's deserves a lifetime achievemant trophy for its beer menu chalkboards. I went "whoaaa" just looking at that. We should post a "greatest hits" page from past photos.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Drinking La Chouffe, a Belgian strong pale ale, and holy poo poo this is amazing. It's like the cross of a triple and an IPA. Better than Le Freak.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I picked up two beers to try tonight... Spiral Jetty by Epic Brewing Co, and Arrogant Bastard by Stone. I've never tried either, so I'm pretty excited to be trying both.

Has anyone here tried Spiral Jetty and liked it? I've never tried anything by Epic before, so hopefully I'll like it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Ballast Point will always have at least 3 special beers that aren't bottled/distributed much or are seasonals if that's something you find interesting. Don't ever get roped into going to the Home Brew Mart location though, they have a lease on there that won't let them sell pints. They have more weird/limited brews, but you can't buy anything but a taster and can only buy one of each variety per day (really).

But yeah, it really sucks that Alpine is so far out there. It's definitely one of the best places and have a ton of stuff, although for the most part you just hang out in the attached bar next door (which does mean you get to sit down).

Interesting, the tour guide said we should go there since they (the tour company) do unlimited tastings.

So it looks like we might be doing:

Stone
Lost Abbey/Port
Alesmith / Ballast Point (might split time here)
Dropoff at Pizza Port Ocean Beach.

I wanted to do Alpine but we may just find a local friend to take us there.

Any suggestions?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

TenaciousTomato posted:

Drinking La Chouffe, a Belgian strong pale ale, and holy poo poo this is amazing. It's like the cross of a triple and an IPA. Better than Le Freak.

Get the Houblon. It's even better.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Drinking a New Belgium Cocoa Mole right now and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. They did a really nice job achieving some sort of balance with these flavors. The cinnamon does start to get a little overpowering the more you drink and I don't think I could drink much more than a 10oz or 12oz glass of it. Still, quite good.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Made the drive to DC to pick up Dortmunder Gold today. The drive wasn't bad at all especially considering how close to rush hour it was (36 miles in 45 minutes with DC beltway and 270 involved is really good). $24 for 12 of them. Looking forward to trying it. :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

beetlo posted:

Made the drive to DC to pick up Dortmunder Gold today. The drive wasn't bad at all especially considering how close to rush hour it was (36 miles in 45 minutes with DC beltway and 270 involved is really good). $24 for 12 of them. Looking forward to trying it. :)

This is a really loving long drive for Dortmunder Gold.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

ShaneB posted:

This is a really loving long drive for Dortmunder Gold.

Closest place to me that has it. Stupid Maryland! I've got nothing better to do (unemployed).

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Munkaboo posted:

Interesting, the tour guide said we should go there since they (the tour company) do unlimited tastings.

Stone
Lost Abbey/Port

Any suggestions?

Alpine is REALLY out in the middle of nowhere. LA/Port isn't exactly city center, but compartively speaking it's not too bad. Alpine's extremely small (I don't think they let parties bigger than six in their pub) and I can't imagine you'd leave there thinking "hey I'm really glad we made the trip out here." Stone's grounds are very pretty, and it's a nice building on the whole - if you can work that one in I'd do it. LA/Port, I've done that tour and it's nothing special at all, you'll be in a warehouse district with the warehouse door rolled up and a dank tasting bar that on weekends gets cramped. Yes, beer selection is decent, but I'm not sure how much value there is in that situation. Perhaps they've improved the tour, but last time around I was nonplussed. Drunk off their great tap selection, but nonplussed.

Personally, if I had a friend coming to town and they said "I want to go to 2-3 places in 6 hours" I'd go to Stone first, then come back down to central SD (so, Alesmith, Hess, Green Flash, or Ballast Point), then if you're looking to conclude at one of the Pizza Ports, the OB Pizza Port makes the most geographic sense. Minor bonus points, there's a great bottle shop in OB, Olive Tree Market, which if you're looking to check out is very close by.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

Stone
Lost Abbey/Port

Any suggestions?
It's on the Home Brew Mart location's lease that they can't give you more than 1 3 oz. taster of each variety (the co-owner himself explained this to me and its written on the chalkboard there). The location sucks too - it's mostly just a home brew shop (an expensive one at that). The normal Ballast Point location in Scripps Ranch (which is the production facility) can serve anything in pints, as many as you want, etc. If you go to the Ballast Point location in Scripps ranch, get everything in half-pints. When they say half-pint they mean like 3/4 or more of a pint. It's a way better deal money-wise.

Alpine is awesome but what wattershed says is totally true. It's in the middle of nowhere, and you really have to go into the pub to get anything and it's a tiny little place. The brewery itself looks a bit like an old building at a summer camp.

wattershed posted:

Alpine is REALLY out in the middle of nowhere. LA/Port isn't exactly city center, but compartively speaking it's not too bad. Alpine's extremely small (I don't think they let parties bigger than six in their pub) and I can't imagine you'd leave there thinking "hey I'm really glad we made the trip out here." Stone's grounds are very pretty, and it's a nice building on the whole - if you can work that one in I'd do it. LA/Port, I've done that tour and it's nothing special at all, you'll be in a warehouse district with the warehouse door rolled up and a dank tasting bar that on weekends gets cramped. Yes, beer selection is decent, but I'm not sure how much value there is in that situation. Perhaps they've improved the tour, but last time around I was nonplussed. Drunk off their great tap selection, but nonplussed.

Personally, if I had a friend coming to town and they said "I want to go to 2-3 places in 6 hours" I'd go to Stone first, then come back down to central SD (so, Alesmith, Hess, Green Flash, or Ballast Point), then if you're looking to conclude at one of the Pizza Ports, the OB Pizza Port makes the most geographic sense. Minor bonus points, there's a great bottle shop in OB, Olive Tree Market, which if you're looking to check out is very close by.
The Pizza Port in Carlsbad has its own attached Bottle shop too.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

beetlo posted:

Closest place to me that has it. Stupid Maryland! I've got nothing better to do (unemployed).

Virginia has it now

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Munkaboo posted:

Virginia has it now

northern Virginia.

was excited about trying Lancaster's Double Chocolate Milk Stout, a slightly-higher ABV version of the regular milk stout brewed with chocolate nibs, but really it just tasted like a non-nitro Young's, which isn't a good thing. bummer. well, at least i have a growler of Mephistopheles to console me (until it puts me right the gently caress to sleep).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Drinking a New Belgium Cocoa Mole right now and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. They did a really nice job achieving some sort of balance with these flavors. The cinnamon does start to get a little overpowering the more you drink and I don't think I could drink much more than a 10oz or 12oz glass of it. Still, quite good.

I had this the other night and while it was good (and definitely worth buying at $6 for the bomber), I felt like I would have liked it a lot better splitting the bomber three ways rather than the two that I did that night.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Munkaboo posted:

Virginia has it now

Northern Virginia isn't closer to Frederick, MD than DC. Plus the traffic is even WORSE.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

beetlo posted:

Northern Virginia isn't closer to Frederick, MD than DC. Plus the traffic is even WORSE.

ah true, true...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Mmmmm... Arrogant Bastard is such a delicious beer. I was reading some of the reviews for this beer and I thought they were pretty amusing. Roasted coffee and chocolate? I don't get that at all from this beer, and from reading the reviews either do 99% of other people... I feel like some people just write poo poo down for the hell of it.

I'm changing my mind about drinking both beers, though. I think I'm just going to stick with this single bomber of AB for tonight. Two bombers of 7%+ beer is just a bit too much for me on a weekday.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Mmmmm... Arrogant Bastard is such a delicious beer. I'm changing my mind about drinking both beers, though. I think I'm just going to stick with this single bomber of AB for tonight.

Two bombers of 7%+ beer is just a bit too much for me on a weekday.

Midorka parachute account?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

ShaneB posted:

Midorka parachute account?

Yes, I pay $10 just to increase my circle jerkability.

drat, you're annoying. You literally never respond to my posts with anything which would constitute as 'talking about beer'

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hey air-, 'cos I know you had it, how is Tweason'ale?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Yes, I pay $10 just to increase my circle jerkability.

drat, you're annoying. You literally never respond to my posts with anything which would constitute as 'talking about beer'

Yeah pretty much everything he says is mocking someone else. It really makes this thread awesome.

I finally did try the Maharaja and it was very good. I'm not sure how much I prefer the IIPA style to just regular IPAs. I stopped drinking pop regularly a few years ago so I think my sensitivity to sweet drinks has increased and I just don't prefer them to hoppier or more bitter beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I drank some Dale's Pale Ale, it was good.

I drank some Uinta Hop Notch, it was good too.