Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Kudosx posted:

Yeah, I really want to try Abrasive, Furious, and Heady Topper...

I'm hoping these are at least half decent.

Edit: Half way through my first can of Bengali Tiger and I will say that it is exactly what I was hoping... half decent. It's not bad... but I don't think I'll buy another 4 pack of it. Now I'm wondering if Resin is any good...

I think resin is good but different than most DIPAs I've had. It is for a lack of a better word very resinous, not so overly hoppy like most DIPAs but a semi sweet syrupy malt hop combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

I think resin is good but different than most DIPAs I've had. It is for a lack of a better word very resinous, not so overly hoppy like most DIPAs but a semi sweet syrupy malt hop combo.

Ahhh... I'm not too sure I would enjoy it then. I enjoy overly hopped beers, cause I'm an idiot. I'm now in the midst of this Tallgrass, and I like it more than the Bengali Tiger, but not by much.

I think both of these are rather mediocre IPAs, although it's still pretty cool to drink a craft beer out of a can.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Best canned IPA:

I don't think they distribute very widely but drink it if you see it.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Docjowles posted:

One technique you can use to make dark beers without a roast character is to steep the dark grains in cool water rather than throwing them in the mash. This extracts color and some of the coffee/chocolate flavors but not big harsh roasty flavors and tannins. So maybe that's what they mean? Either that or just the fact that it's a lager and fermented colder.

Edit: just realized you're in the homebrew thread and probably already knew this, w/e

Haha yeah I was aware of that, just highlighting some marketing whoo-haaa. Cold brewed. I mean I guess you could just do a mash, then hit 168 for a mash-out, and use that pre-isometrized hop essence or whatever it is for bitterness. That's the coldest way I could think of to brew a beer (If I was insane).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wattershed posted:

Best canned IPA:

Have you had their other offerings? Their stout is fantastic and the lager ain't half bad.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

wattershed posted:

Best canned IPA:

Fort George is a really solid brewery all around. Most everything I've ever had from them has been good to excellent.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
That looks like it should contain a pound of sugar and 500mg of caffeine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

wattershed posted:

Best canned IPA:

I see your canned IPA, and raise you this:

You can probably only get it in Michigan. Yours gets better reviews on BA, but I think this one is pretty decent. I like the can design too. The same brewery cans two of their other beers as well, but they aren't quite as good as Cornerstone. I'm trying to decide if I want to participate in a Michigan Brewer's Guild tour going on there this Saturday, hmm...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Soon Jai Alai will supplant all of them as the best canned IPA :smug:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of canned IPAs, Sixpoint (based out of Brooklyn) just started distributing to Ohio and I picked up their IPA, Resin:

It was pretty good and it hid the alcohol well. Honestly, when it comes to DIPA hype and limidted releases, I haven't really had one that's blown me away. There are plenty of year-round DIPAs that are just as good as limited releases.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Tigren posted:

Have you had their other offerings? Their stout is fantastic and the lager ain't half bad.

I don't live in the area so I usually only have access to their stuff for a week a year at the most. I've had the Coffee Girl stout but still haven't had Cavatica. They did a Triple called Hellcat which was quite good too. Too bad more people don't have a chance to try their stuff - it definitely stands up to some of the more acclaimed breweries.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Oskar Blues Gubna is a fine DIPA in a can. G'Knight is also really good, but more of an imperial red.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
What's so bad about Tallgrass? Their cans seem pretty popular in my neck of the woods.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

Oskar Blues Gubna is a fine DIPA in a can. G'Knight is also really good, but more of an imperial red.

Deviant Dale's should be available any day now, if it's not already :getin:

Edit: can looks hard core, too

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Anyone riding the Craft Beer Express in Philly this saturday?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Incoming poo poo-storm post:

I drain poured a 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek last night. I just did not like it at all. I drank 4 ounces and it was just far too sour, it reminded me of the type of sour from those candies "Atomic Warheads". The problem is there was no sweetness in here to balance it and I'm just not a fan of super sour stuff. After that I moved onto an Anchorage Whiteout which I was a bit disappointed with, it just didn't mesh well with me but I finished it anyway. Moved on to a Mikkeller Beer Hop Breakfast and this was another disappointment, right away I smelled nothing but coffee and fresh marijuana, very earthy and leafy. The taste matched and I just couldn't get over it. I finished the night with a fresh World Wide Stout bottled in 2012, which again I was disappointed with. World Wide Stout definitely needs a year on it.

I know people are going to bitch about the drain pouring of the 3 Fonteinen so go for it.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Oh, I'm gonna try to get some of that Deviant Dales next time I'm in MA/NH. Even better than regular Dale's, which is near impossible.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

Incoming poo poo-storm post:

I drain poured a 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek last night. I just did not like it at all. I drank 4 ounces and it was just far too sour, it reminded me of the type of sour from those candies "Atomic Warheads". The problem is there was no sweetness in here to balance it and I'm just not a fan of super sour stuff.

I know people are going to bitch about the drain pouring of the 3 Fonteinen so go for it.

Were you trying to drink it by yourself? That's a ton of beer to drainpour and an expensive one at that. That was actually the most sour beer I'd ever had up until last friday when I had an '09 La Folie (cork/caged). Oh so tart.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Yeah I was drinking it by myself and realized I was not going to be able to finish it. $40 down the drain, literally. It was just not for me and I wasn't going to struggle with it. I don't like super sour beers and was unaware this was one.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Before I sink that kind of cash into a bottle of beer I make drat sure I know what I'm buying. I'm no skinflint, but if I'm spending $40 for a bottle it better blow my drat mind.

That being said, I've made some purchases that I was horribly unsatisfied with myself. The Widmer Brother's Prickly Pear Braggot comes to mind. It was just gross. It was pour down the drain bad, but I bought it on a whim and it was cheap. I can't see myself buying Schaerbeekse on a whim, even though I've had it and love it.

The worst was spending $14 on a bottle of A. LeCoq Russian Imperial Stout that had been kept in proper cellaring conditions for about 4 years. It was horribly oxidized and tasted of soy sauce and burnt wood, and not in a good way.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

Anyone riding the Craft Beer Express in Philly this saturday?

My wife and I will be there. Starting at Kite & Key.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Corbet posted:

Speaking of canned IPAs, Sixpoint (based out of Brooklyn) just started distributing to Ohio and I picked up their IPA, Resin:

It was pretty good and it hid the alcohol well. Honestly, when it comes to DIPA hype and limidted releases, I haven't really had one that's blown me away. There are plenty of year-round DIPAs that are just as good as limited releases.

I've only heard amazing things about this beer. I can't wait to try it.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

$40 wtf?? If I paid that much for a beer I'd make sure every drat drop of it went in my mouth, tasty or not.

I don't know if drainpouring a $40 beer is a Beer Snob Fail or a new level of Beer Snobbery: rather than sucking it up and convincing yourself that the beer was awesome, like a normal beer snob would, you just said "nope, this $40 beer isn't doing it for me".

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Corbet posted:

Dang! Sounds like I should have gotten Resin instead of Bengali Tiger. Bengali Tiger wasn't too bad, but it's not something I enjoyed greatly. I probably won't be picking up another 4 pack of it anytime soon.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

CalvinDooglas- did you get to participate in Kate day? I recall you moved up there somewhere unless I'm completely mistaken..

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

air- posted:

CalvinDooglas- did you get to participate in Kate day? I recall you moved up there somewhere unless I'm completely mistaken..

Every day is Kate day when you live with a woman named Kate!

Actually I didn't even realize it had come and gone. I'd heard of Kate the Great, but didn't know it was brewed around here. $8/bottle and only an hour away, maybe that release is worth going to next year.

Portsmouth brewery happened to be the first place I stopped for food and drink in New England when I came to visit in September. I wasn't impressed by their regular offerings, but I do like Smuttynose's big beers so far.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

What's that? A new house? gently caress yeah! :black101:

Wife and I bought our first house together in December in anticipation of finally settling down and having kids. I can't say for sure that beer will have a role in that, but in the mean time, I have a lot more space to expand my meager glass collection, and a second fridge downstairs that has pretty much become the beer fridge.

The entryway. Glass and bottle cabinet is at the top of the stairs. The den is down on the right.

Contents of the cabinet linked for bigness. Most of them were Christmas presents either bought second-hand or from a local packy getting rid of promotional stuff. I have an unreasonable love for Olde Burnside Brewing (warning: site has bagpipe music) since they're from my hometown, hence the jugs and the two pint glasses.

It's probably not actually worth anything, but the elderly-looking viking bottle opener at the top is my favorite thing in the cabinet. My sister got it because hey, it combines beer and Vikings, two of my favorite things. :unsmith:

Also, the Ten Penny Ale Reserve bottle makes a nice centerpiece. Apologies for the graininess.

Bottlecap collection on the downstairs fridge.

And the current-ish contents of the fridge. I've since had the Allagash White and it was alright, but I feel like I was getting a lot of clove and not much else out of it. One of the two Saranac 12-packs is for my cousin who loved their vanilla porter but hasn't been able to find it anywhere. I really liked the Bohemian Pilsner, but the Big Moose ale had a weird oniony flavor, which is odd because while I've heard that some hops can impart a green onion taste, it was brewed with centennial and amarillo, which I don't think are known for that.

Besides the unopened Spring Sam Adams sampler, this is just about all the beer we've had in the house since we moved in, minus another sixer of 'Gansett and a six pack of Mayflower's Winter Oatmeal Stout, which is apparently getting sold off at the brewery for $20 a case now if anyone is into that. I'd love to get some, but my beer consumption is about 1/night and as much as I love that stout I wouldn't want to wait until April before I actually got around to it.

Tremont's Nor'easter is about the definition of an :effort: beer, but it was $3 for the six pack so I couldn't resist. Yankee Spirits is going to drive me to alcoholism because they're willing to drastically drop prices on out of season stock and I'm a cheap bastard.

Sorry if any of this is boring. I'm pretty proud of our new place, and it's given me the opportunity to expand my horizons beerwise now that I have room for glassware and a bunch more fridge space. :shobon:

Edit:

CalvinDooglas posted:

Portsmouth brewery happened to be the first place I stopped for food and drink in New England when I came to visit in September. I wasn't impressed by their regular offerings, but I do like Smuttynose's big beers so far.

Smuttynose is pretty hit or miss IMO. That being said, I loved Gravitation. Really amazingly flavorful though the booziness in it gets to be a bit harsh as it warms.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 7, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Every day is Kate day when you live with a woman named Kate!

Actually I didn't even realize it had come and gone. I'd heard of Kate the Great, but didn't know it was brewed around here. $8/bottle and only an hour away, maybe that release is worth going to next year.

Ah now I remember, it was Portland, ME! I initially remembered Port... something.

Hunahpu's Day is this weekend. That tap list just blew my mind. :stare:
http://www.facebook.com/cigarcitybeer/posts/365609000125851

nah
Mar 16, 2009

air- posted:

Hunahpu's Day is this weekend. That tap list just blew my mind. :stare:
http://www.facebook.com/cigarcitybeer/posts/365609000125851

I've been sorting this poo poo all loving day. It actually kinda sucks because there's also like 30 other CCB beers so yeah we have maybe 32 taps we'll be using for 60+ beers. :unsmigghh:

CalvinDooglas posted:

$40 wtf?? If I paid that much for a beer I'd make sure every drat drop of it went in my mouth, tasty or not.

I don't know if drainpouring a $40 beer is a Beer Snob Fail or a new level of Beer Snobbery: rather than sucking it up and convincing yourself that the beer was awesome, like a normal beer snob would, you just said "nope, this $40 beer isn't doing it for me".

Back in the day I probably would've drank it no matter what, but if he can't drink it at all, what's the point? It's a waste of money no matter what, why punish yourself further

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bananasinpajamas posted:

I've been sorting this poo poo all loving day. It actually kinda sucks because there's also like 30 other CCB beers so yeah we have maybe 32 taps we'll be using for 60+ beers. :unsmigghh:

Back in the day I probably would've drank it no matter what, but if he can't drink it at all, what's the point? It's a waste of money no matter what, why punish yourself further

Call up a friend and unload it on them! In all honesty I have yet to have a beer I full on drainpoured except for some homebrew gone bad. Suck it up and finish it, it will only make you stronger

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bananasinpajamas posted:

Because it's just being a wasteful little brat to pour out $40 of anything because it "doesn't taste good enough."

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Because it's just being a wasteful little brat to pour out $40 of anything because it "doesn't taste good enough."

You're already a wasteful little brat by paying 40 dollars for a loving beer, might as well go the extra step

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

He didn't say it 'doesn't taste good enough,' he said he didn't like the taste of it. If I popped a beer that tasted like fish and burnt tires, I wouldn't slam it, even if it cost $40.

The debatable thing here is paying $40 for a bottle of beer, let's be fair here.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

BoredByThis posted:

Before I sink that kind of cash into a bottle of beer I make drat sure I know what I'm buying. I'm no skinflint, but if I'm spending $40 for a bottle it better blow my drat mind.

It's a world class beer of a style I've been meaning to try. It's blown other people's minds apparently, but not mine. There's no way of possibly knowing whether I'm going to like it unless I try it.

ShaneB posted:

I've only heard amazing things about this beer. I can't wait to try it.

It has a really strong malt base that I don't find in many other IIPAs, it's sweet and sticky. I really enjoyed it.

CalvinDooglas posted:

So I should have convinced myself to drink something I didn't enjoy because of the price tag? I'm a beer snob because I didn't enjoy an expensive beer? I'm trying hard to understand your logic and it's just not happening.

bananasinpajamas posted:

Exactly this, it's not strong enough in alcohol to even get me drunk so there's no point drinking something I didn't enjoy.

Angry Grimace posted:

Okay.

wattershed posted:

He didn't say it 'doesn't taste good enough,' he said he didn't like the taste of it. If I popped a beer that tasted like fish and burnt tires, I wouldn't slam it, even if it cost $40.

The debatable thing here is paying $40 for a bottle of beer, let's be fair here.

Thank you for understanding the English language enough to understand why I didn't drink it. Now spending $40 on a 750ml of beer is a bit expensive, but I consider lambics and other fruit beers more akin to wine and $40 for a bottle of wine is not expensive when all things are considered.

Anyway, I can't wait to get into my second Maharaja, I absolutely loved it the first time so I can't wait to re-visit it. Also has anyone had Lagunitas Red? Thoughts?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That tap list for Hunahpu's Day looks incredible, but I'm a little bummed about the decreased bottle limit. Of course I would have been a lot more bummed if I went and wouldn't be able to buy any at all, so I'll deal with it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Also has anyone had Lagunitas Red? Thoughts?

Fuckin' delicious. As is Wilco Tango Foxtrot.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Manky posted:

Fuckin' delicious. As is Wilco Tango Foxtrot.

Are the bottles out the new release or no (for WTF)? I had one from last year recently and was a bit disappointed.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Are the bottles out the new release or no (for WTF)? I had one from last year recently and was a bit disappointed.

Should be new, came in with the red, tasted fresh, and the place just got a keg of it on tap as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sometimes I take my local standbys for granted. Had a few Odell Red Ale's last night (their spring seasonal) and it's pretty drat awesome. It's pretty much only a red ale in color... big-rear end American hops dominate to the point you could easily call it an IPA and no one would question you. Maybe just a touch maltier than your typical IPA but really it's all about the hops. Very enjoyable beer.

I also had a New Belgium Dig and still don't like it. It's not bad, I just don't really enjoy the tropical fruit thing they're doing with it. When I reach for a pale ale I want citrus and pine, not mango and plum, but I realize that's a personal hangup. Bring back Mighty Arrow, dammit :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sinteres posted:

That tap list for Hunahpu's Day looks incredible, but I'm a little bummed about the decreased bottle limit. Of course I would have been a lot more bummed if I went and wouldn't be able to buy any at all, so I'll deal with it.

Yeah that was the idea. Some people are pissed but it makes sense in the long run. But just so you know, we're not going to run out no matter what.