Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Huge_Midget posted:

Midwest beer goons, how many of you are planning on going to Dark Lord Day this year? So long as I get tickets, my wife, brother in law, father in law, and several friends and local homebrew club members are making the trek from Fort Wayne to Munster. Last year was awesome, and I hope the weather cooperates again this year. Anyone want to meet up and drink ridiculously awesome beer? I'd be down with trading, but if I am going to meetup with some other beer goons I say we break into our cellars and drink some ridiculous poo poo and make other people jealous. Here is my current cellar list I plan on bringing some bottle of Cantillon, Jolly Pumpkin, New Glarus, and some others that I need to open soon. I promise not to be a dick or spergelord, and drinking with goons is generally fun from past experience.

After a few years of contemplating, and plans falling through, I think this year I'm going to try to make the trek for DLD. On my one visit to 3 Floyds, I wasn't particularly impressed, but the beer trading/tasting aspect of the event has me really interested. Guess I should start planning on booking a hotel room and such....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Winners of the Cipher contest are out: http://www.halfacrebeer.com/blog/2012/03/05/414/

Any of you goons Sonny Sherwood? I sure hope so.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BoredByThis posted:

Ninja vs. Unicorn

Ughh.

Ubik posted:

Tonic the Hedgehog

Ughhhhhhhhh.

And a local place a ways back had a beer called Teenage Mutant Ninja Porter. When I ordered it I asked for "the porter" because that's really embarrassing to have to say in public.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

wattershed posted:

Best canned IPA:

I don't think they distribute very widely but drink it if you see it.

I see your canned IPA, and raise you this:

You can probably only get it in Michigan. Yours gets better reviews on BA, but I think this one is pretty decent. I like the can design too. The same brewery cans two of their other beers as well, but they aren't quite as good as Cornerstone. I'm trying to decide if I want to participate in a Michigan Brewer's Guild tour going on there this Saturday, hmm...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A friend just told me knows someone who is already camping out in front of Founder's for the KBS release on Saturday. Beer nerds. :what:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

As someone who is still sitting on a few bottles of 2010 and 2011, and not due to some desire to age them, I'm skipping this year. It's just not that fun a time and I can reserve money for DLD.

I just called a local grocery store and they said they are getting in 3-4 cases, and how many 4-packs did I want? Just told the guy one...trying to resist the "gotta catch 'em all" beer collector mentality. It's definitely a good beer, but I bought one 4-pack of 2011 KBS and I still have 2 bottles of it left over.

Edit: I gave in :(

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 9, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vaguido posted:

Just got back from Founders. I thought I was insane for getting there at 5am, but the line for KBS had already wrapped around the building, roughly ending where I was at the end of the line for Canadian Breakfast Stout last year, and I had gotten there at 9:30 that time. I had heard people saying they were planning on getting there at 6. I figured they meant am, but apparently people drove to the brewery after clocking out of work for the day.

People camping outside Founder's (from their Twitter):

People be crazy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ahahahahaha jesus. I'm reading about people on BA getting to Founders at 5am and being too far back in line to get any KBS after they changed the limit to a half case per person.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

Holy scheisse. Maybe beer releases aren't my type of thing after reading this post... I don't think I could wait in the cold that long for 1/2 case of beer.

This is the rational response. That means there's nothing wrong with you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I guess this is a little old at this point, but I couldn't help but laugh and laugh and laugh...

some beer nerd sperging over at BA posted:

I blame myself for not getting KBS, as I got there at 6:30. I assumed that would be early enough (4.5 hours early)
I was right. It would have been, we're I one of the other 6:30 groups... We were at the doors when they ran out. We were in the first 10 to fail.
Lot's of line jumping.
That's life. That's a bummer.

However,

I am totally done with Founders. That will save me hundreds.
They wait until 15 minutes before open, to hand out tickets.
This is intentional. They had guys coming and checking out the line.

They could have saved a few hundred people a whole day of standing out in freezing weather and whipping wind by handing out the tickets once the line reached an obvious capacity.
At 6:30, we were in front of the brewery, and the line wrapped all the way around. By 7 it had overlapped.
We could see this. They could see this. We waited 4 hours because we road tripped 4 hours to get there. When they passed out tickets (over 600) we were about 20 behind the last ticket.

Again, missing out is our fault, not theirs.
But they knew they couldn't support the demand, and they let people stand out there without a heads up for at least 5 hours before giving out any word.

By that time, we decided we were pot committed, and waited it out.

We wouldn't have made the road trip for 3 4 packs.
We wouldn't wait outside overnight for this beer (it's great. But there are plenty of great bbl options right now, and a few I like more.)
It's not laziness to try to make a considered decision on when to arrive for a beer. And again, not Founders fault that we missed it.

But for cutting the allotment (more or less invalidating the purpose of the trip... If I want to add $100 in gas to the cost of the beer, I know I can get 3 4 packs) and for watching from the rooftop (literally) and walking the grounds, knowing that most of these folks are screwed... And saying NOTHING...

THAT makes it one less craft brew for me. Yay, more for you guys. Enjoy the hype train.

my level of entitlement you guys :cry:

This post isn't even the funny part, its the fact that there are dozens of people agreeing with it and being mad at Founder's because they decided to drive 6 hours to buy beer and there were no staff members outside at 2am passing out tickets.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I don't think they expected it to happen at all. Two years ago the KBS release had people going back a few times to get another case. Last year I think they still gave out full cases and most everyone was happy about it. Now this year they have people camping out starting at 5pm the day before. I don't think the CBS release even had that kind of turnout (correct me if I'm wrong).

And the (BA) people in Michigan/Grand Rapids complaining about only being able to get it by going to the release are so full of poo poo. There's tons here, every tiny grocery store in my area is getting like 3-4 cases. Next year they are tripling production and people will probably still bitch about it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

Wow I actually got tickets to DLD with no issue. Huzzah!

I did not :(

Looks like they are all gone too. fffffffffff

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

I just clicked where the buttons were supposed to load (broken image links showed instead) and got to checkout. And they use a 3rd party ticket retailer to handle their sales, and they throw everything they can at it every year. It's like getting a denial of service attack.

They're charging services fees that are as much or more than Ticketmaster, they should probably just start using them. I guess there's always 2013......

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ubik posted:

Does anybody know how much differently DLD functions from how it did a few years back? I last went in 2009, and I didn't have a Golden Ticket but just wanted to hang out with friends in line. I ended up getting one at the venue anyway because they had a ton of extras there, but I would have been perfectly happy not buying any Dark Lord and just sharing beer with friends. Is it still possible to do that, or do they kick your rear end off the premises if you don't have a ticket? Again, I don't care about actually buying any so much as hanging out with folks.

This page http://www.darklordday.com/ says you have to have a tickets for entry, so looks like you can't just hang without one. :/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Out on a St. Paddys Day pub crawl, this beer (New Holland Mad Hatter) was kinda poo poo, but it made me think of this thread:

http://imgur.com/dUOtw.jpg

sweet lacing bro

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ugh, stupid Awful App, breaking bbcode and making me double post

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Sure it aint dishwasher liquid residue?

That could explain the terribly watery taste.

I dont do the lovely green beer thing, so now I'm drinking an Oro de Calabaza at Jolly Pumpkin. They should have dyed it green, would have been cool.

I live in a college town and have been wandering around for about 4 hours. Somehow, no piles of puke to be seen yet. I'm getting out of here before the real debauchery starts though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CalvinDooglas posted:

So I've got this Allagash interview tomorrow. If I'm hired I'll be their new tour guide. It's the first of two interviews, should I be successful.

Any advice on what brewhouse folk are looking for in a new hire? Appropriate attire for a meet'n greet brewery walkthrough type interview?

Do you have a beard? If not, welp.

(but no seriously good luck)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Phanatic posted:

JP's Baudelaire IO is excellent, but I haven't seen any on shelves in over a year so it dawns on me that it might have been a one-off that they're not making any more of.

It's actually a yearly brew and this year's batch came out about a week or so ago.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yay, it's Oberon day here in Michigan. I didn't go to any of the midnight releases but as soon as I get out of work I'm probably buying a case. Meijer has it on sale for $7/6-pack this week. :stare:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

I recently had to get a roommate for the first time in like 6 years... and it took him just over a week to drink a bunch of my beer cellar without asking. I don't know what the gently caress he was thinking, but things I believe got drank include:

Holy. poo poo. :stare:

If necessary I've got a grandma with a bunch of land in the middle of nowhere Michigan, I'm sure there's a few places you could stash a body.

Really though uh.....this is why my opinion on roommates is and will always be 'gently caress roommates'.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, it wasn't something I wanted to do but personal circumstances made the choice be between moving out of an apartment I just moved into like 2 months ago, or get a roommate and see how that worked out....

Well I hope if you end up not kicking his rear end to the curb he'll at least repay you and not act like an infantile rear end in a top hat in the future. I think I'd have a hard time not throttling him.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 28, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

wattershed posted:

Terrible justification, but try to think of it like this...

You had to scramble financially, in the form of getting a roommate. Alternatively, you theoretically would have had to sell some possession or something along those lines, in order to make ends meet. Deceive yourself (so we don't have another forums user committing a homicide) into thinking you sold that beer to pay rent, and the guy is just free company.

What? No. Just no. Taking on a roommate doesn't bring with it the expectation that they will take/use your things without your permission.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The downside is 90% of all Japanese beer tastes exactly the same, and is all terrible. And it's all lager. It's probably a good thing the last time I was living in Japan I wasn't into beer much otherwise I would have been pretty miserable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh man, someone just stopped into my office to give me a copy of this Michael Jackson book: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Beer-Michael-Jackson/dp/0789435276 It's from 1998 so its fascinating to see how 90% of the featured beers are European, and it describes Sierra Nevada as "perhaps the most famous new-generation brewery in the US". The photos are pretty fabulous too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm at Jolly Pumpkin right now and I just have to tell someone that I'm drinking Biere de Mars on tap and it's probably the most prefect beer I've ever had. Holy poo poo. I wish I could sit here and drink this all night. Drink this beer now if you can.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Phanatic posted:

Sure it is. Just not in bottles. We get Elder on draft in Philly not constantly, but with some regularity, and we get Younger on rare occasions.

I'm pretty sure I bought a bottle of Pliny when I was in Pittsburgh last year? :confused: I guess I could be misremembering...

Speaking of Pliny I'm gonna cross post from the beer trading thread since this is a bit time sensitive and I got no replies there:

Is fresh Pliny easy to find right about now? I've got a coworker/beer buddy whose wife had their first kid last night, and he mentioned to me a day or two ago how he's never had any Pliny and would love to get his hands on a bottle. He's coming back to work early next week and I'd love to surprise him with a bottle or two of it, if possible. Any goons able to hook me up quick?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hopefully someone in Ca'll respond, but in CO, it's pretty much a "I'll give you a couple if I have any and you've been a fine customer to me" thing. Chiefly this is because if they do it any other way, up on eBay it all goes.

It is an all-year beer, however, so while scarce, it's always there.

Yeah I didn't expect to have any difficulty getting any, I was just hoping to get some ASAP and I know sometimes there seem to be lulls in shipments of it. I actually posted a thread on BA and someone told me of a beer store in CA that had it and may ship it to Michigan. Turns out they did, bottled two days ago, and now I've got 4 of them on my way to me.

If anyone's interested, here's their site: http://blackwellswines.com/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

How much was shipping, if you don't mind me asking? They have pretty reasonable prices on the RR sours, I kinda want to get some!

I paid for 3rd day air which was $33, but ground would have been $20 for the four bottles.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

I can get Bam Biere and a bunch of other standard JP's for $10-$15 a 750, but I've paid $10/375 for Bambic #1/#2, and I believe other rare JPs go for the same.

Anything from JP in a 330 (they are actually 330ml, not 375), with the exception of the new Oro de Calabazas in 330s, is a limited brewery-only release and $10 is about the price I pay and I'm local to their brewery and cafe. You're getting them at a good price.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TenaciousTomato posted:

What got ya'll into craft beer? For me it was my family offering me a La Fin du Monde last Christmas which is still one of my favorites to this day.

Didn't drink much of anything (for no particular reason) while in college, and so on a post-graduation trip in London on a bar crawl, my friend got me into ciders. When I got back to the states I was hooked, and luckily there was a beer bar in town that served that particular brand. From ciders it went to Blue Moon, then to Oberon, and then one day that same beer bar was having a Hopslam release with promises of freebies and prizes. I actually went for the freebies, but walked away with a new favorite beer. That was two years ago.... :cheers:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

I never really liked ABC, but I thought Grizzly Peak was pretty good the last time I went. Also, I'm jealous of you western Michiganders who can flit between Founders, Brewery Vivant and Bells at will.

Dang there sure are a lot of current/former Ann Arbor residents in this thread. Why didn't any of you make yourselves known a bit earlier? Could have had a good goon beer tasting or something. (I don't bite, promise.)

Also yes, ABC and Corner are poo poo. If you're going to Ann Arbor for beer, head to Jolly Pumpkin, Ashley's or Wolverine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Corbet posted:

There seems to be a lack of effort when it comes to Ann Arbor goons and meet-ups. I'd definitely be interested and I could bring some great stuff to share (Beatification, Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain, Jackie O's Releases)

For quite a long time I was the main organizer for all things Ann Arbor goon meets, but when years go by and no one else gives a poo poo enough to put in effort to reciprocate, it gets obnoxious. That and soooooooooooooooo many of the new A2 goons would be like "hey guys I'm new in town and would love to meet new people! But oh by the way alcohol is the work of the devil and I'm not willing to come within 10ft of a bar" and yeah. (Also most goons are weird.) So I stopped and now they just do nothing. /derail

I've been thinking of organizing something with local BAers, but if there are more local goons left besides Corbet that would be fun too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Huge_Midget posted:

I'll drive up from Fort Wayne if you guys are gonna have a meetup. I've got a lot of rare poo poo that needs to be drank. However it is mandatory that I hit up Zingermans and JP.

I'd say skip Zingerman's and eat at Jolly Pumpkin, their food is loving fantastic.

Guess I'm gonna have to get to organizing this...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CalvinDooglas posted:

"we have no HR department"

Quite the shocker there!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Whisker Biscuit posted:

The Livery

Their Maillot Jaune was probably the best beer that I had at the MI fall beer fest last year. Wish I had more chances to try their stuff.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Has anyone ever had a particularly good and memorable collaboration beer? I'm reading about Founder's first collab, which is with Green Flash, and I'm filled with 'meh'. What few collab beers I can even remember having, none of them were particularly great. I've still got a bottle of a Jolly Pumpkin beer called Collababiere, which was with Nøgne Ø and Stone, and it's probably one of the worst JP beers I've had.

The whole practice just seems a little unnecessary to me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Corbet posted:

"Sobrehumano Palena 'ole is a red ale brewed with liliko'i and cherries. MBC and JPAA will both brew this beer; however MBC will use standard fermentation while the JPAA version is a barrel aged sour. The beers will be packaged both by MBC (in cans) and JPAA (in bottles)."

Yeah this I'm actually excited for, as the JP version is actually pretty true to the JP style of beer. Where as that Founder's collab really doesn't sound like anything Founder's has ever done before, and I don't think they're even releasing it in Michigan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bartolimu posted:

The JP/Nogne/Stone Collabiere varied hugely by who brewed it. The Stone version is thoroughly meh. Jolly Pumpkin's went sour (I'd say by accident, but with the amount of brett they work with it was predictable) and horribly awry. They tried to serve it at Stone's Sourfest last year as some kind of intentional thing and it was like rancid cough syrup, completely undrinkable.

Haha oh man, the one bottle I've had I found just really boring, not sour at all. I guess I should open the second bottle that I've had sitting for a year or however long its been. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kudosx posted:

I really wish that there weren't so many sours with cherry flavor. Cherries are one of the few things that I really, really can't stand the flavor of.

I feel like every other sour I look up seems to have cherry as a flavor descriptor, and I'm super hesitant to pick up a bottle of many well known sours as a result (La Roja, 3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek, Supplication).

I can't stand that fake mediciney cherry flavor either, so I can assure you that doesn't come through in La Roja, at least from what I've had on tap. The Grand Reserve version also does not have a prominent cherry flavor, or if it does, its not that horrible sickly sweet version you might hate.