Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Cross posting this from the old thread since it is pretty stupid to keep discussions going over there:

Kudosx posted:

Yep! That's the latest release, let us know how you like it. I've heard good things...

Ya you guys have officially pre-hyped it (Maharajah) for me so I hope it lives up!

You know, I actually almost didn't find it (it wasn't amongst the other Avery beers, but thats because they actually keep it cold while the rest are warm) and was about to pick up another sixer of the Brew Kettle's White Rajah. I can't thank you enough for that recommendation, I REALLY enjoyed it and it is easily one of my top 3 beers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Yes, I pay $10 just to increase my circle jerkability.

drat, you're annoying. You literally never respond to my posts with anything which would constitute as 'talking about beer'

Yeah pretty much everything he says is mocking someone else. It really makes this thread awesome.

I finally did try the Maharaja and it was very good. I'm not sure how much I prefer the IIPA style to just regular IPAs. I stopped drinking pop regularly a few years ago so I think my sensitivity to sweet drinks has increased and I just don't prefer them to hoppier or more bitter beers.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Samuel Adams' Facebook had a link to this story today, I thought it was interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-03-04/cnbc-sunoco-beer/53323880/1

Basically, Sunoco stations are putting Growler stations inside the gas station and rotating different craft beers.

Since in a lot of places growler stations are hard to come by, this is good news even though at the moment it is only being expanded to South Carolina.

Please let it come to Ohio. :ohdear:

Bonus: lots of "great this just means more drinking and driving!"-type comments below the story! Because as we all know, you're more likely to drink out of a giant glass jug while driving, than drinking out of the convenient and discreet 12 oz. bottles they already sell at gas stations. ugh.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Last night I had Nugget Nectar for the first time. Excellent.

Also I had The Brew Kettle's Old 21 IIPA. Very good. Similar in taste to White Rajah. Not sure if its worth the extra money (9.99 for a 4 pack vs 10.99 for a 6 pack of White Rajah, it is 9% ABV instead of 6.8% though) because I still think White Rajah tastes better.

Also had a Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard on draft over the weekend for the first time, very good. I don't know why I was unsure if I'd like it, pretty much every Stone beer I've had has been good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I prefer White Rajah more, but Old 21 is really good, too. It definitely costs more simply cause it's higher ABV, and as a result it's more costly to make.

I feel like you get more TBK near you than I do, and I'm pretty sure I live closer! The whole problem is people buy stuff up super quickly around here when it hits the shelves, so unless I happen to check the store every day I usually miss it.

Well the last 4 times I went to the grocery store I only found 4 C's and no White Rajah. On Monday I found a single bottle of WR and 1 4 pack of Old 21. So it definitely goes fast and sometimes I get lucky. I'm sure Kroger has some buying power too, since it's the largest grocery store chain in the country.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The funny thing is a lot of those same people who bitch about craft beer being too expensive to buy probably go to bars and pay $3-6 for a single 12oz Bud Light/Miller Lite/Coors Light.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think I actually saw some canned Anderson Valley the other day for the first time. Little green cans.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Midorka posted:

Dogfish Head's 75 Minute IPA is pretty decent, I'm surprised it wasn't more expensive ($9 a 750ml) considering some of the prices of their other big bottles being $12+. The maple is very subtle, I'm only picking a little up at the beginning and end, otherwise the beer has a nice balanced hop profile of pine and citrus mostly. I'm pairing it with some maple bacon cheddar cheese and it's a nice accent to the slight maple flavor in the beer, the more I combine it the better I like it and appreciate it.

Ohhhh, boy I need to try that. I'm a fan of 60 and 90 Minute considering you can find it almost everywhere nowadays. They're both fall-back beers if all else fails. I'd definitely like a bottle or two or 75 to try.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just had some Ballast Point Sculpin and holy jesus is it good.

First time I've actually seen it in Ohio, bought a 6-pack despite the price. Very good. It actually tastes a lot like White Rajah from TBK. I'll stick with WR though, it's cheaper.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My local grocery store just got Sculpin in and they're selling it for $15/6 pack.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Had some Bear Republic Racer 5 last night, definitely the best IPA I've had besides Sculpin. And it should be for $12.99 a 6. Tons of aroma, fruity, hoppy and finishes dry. Want to drink this all day.

Racer X is even better than Racer 5.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Looking at that 3Floyds website, I'm wondering why here in SW Ohio I seem to find bombers of the seasonal 3Floyds brews and none of the year round stuff.

I had heard that 3F had pulled out of Ohio, but I've seen both Behemoth AND Brian Boru in the past few weeks in bombers.

I know they've never distributed 6-packs in Ohio, but I'd buy up every bomber in sight of Dreadnaught if I could....just never seen it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just got back from a big alcohol joint across the river in Kentucky called the Party Source. I remember back when I was in college I used to go over there and marvel at the amount of beer they have. Today was the first day I've been there since I've kind of known a lot more about beer. I was thoroughly unimpressed.

They still have a ton of different kinds of beer, but most of the rarer stuff they still don't have and that's pretty unforgivable considering my neighborhood grocery store carries stuff like Ballast Point and Nugget Nectar. I thought they would at least have more 3 Floyds than Ohio but they had Black Sun Stout and Brian Boru bombers. No thanks.

I did find out from a guy there that I can drive a bit further to Lawrenceburg, IN and get Alpha King, Zombie Dust, and Dreadnaught which are the 3 I'm looking for.

Anyways enough of that, I did buy a Hoptimum, a Burton Baton, a Hercules, and found a couple bottles of More Brown Than Black so it wasn't a totally wasted trip.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I sincerely hope no one would wait in line for Bell's Oberon. Not because its not good but because:

Yeah that's not a bunch of cases stacked on a platform, those cases go all the way to the floor. And this is a freakin' Kroger grocery store.

Anyways, I asked this before but no one answered or I missed it. I picked up another bottle of More Brown Than Black and I'm now fully convinced its the best beer I've ever had. Short of buying up the entire stock at the local liquor store (I will probably do this, there are like ~5 bottles left), what are the chances this is ever released again? If the chances are slim, what is another great IPA with a good hop-roast balance?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Saw some other Ballast Point offerings besides Sculpin here in Ohio for the first time. I'm actually going to head back there on Tuesday. Anyone recommend any of their other brews? I think they pretty much had everything between the bombers and the six packs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't often go for stouts, but tonight I just randomly grabbed a bottle of Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout. Dear god is that gross. I'd like somebody to tell me that it was just a terrible stout to try, but I'm pretty sure it's just me and I don't like stouts. I want to, but they just taste like liquor to me because they're so strong.

I think I'll try some other stouts just to see if there's maybe something I like, but I have a feeling stouts just aren't my thing and that's kind of a shame because I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I'm so drat bummed that we don't get bourbon county at all in OH. I wish we didn't have our stupid 12% ABV cap on beer.

I'll be heading back up to NE Ohio for about a week next Monday, if you want I can check over the river in KY for it since I'm going to make a big beer run before I leave anyways. You can PM me if you want me to grab it for you. I'll probably be going either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

I picked up a 4 pack of Hoptimum, and a bottle of Maharaja. I'm drinking the Hoptimum right now, and it's pretty good. I think it was priced very reasonably at $9.99/4 pack, considering the high ABV.

I also saw bottles of Oak Aged Unearthly, and Gemini. Any thoughts on those? I still haven't tried the regular Unearthly, but having never tried a barrel aged IPA, the Oak Aged version really intrigued me.

In other news, a grocery store 12 minutes away from my house is getting a growler station. They already had them at other locations for the same chain, but now I'll have one about 20 minutes closer! I'm pretty excited, they're going to be tapping a limited GLBC red ale the first day it's up.

Try a Burton Baton from Dogfish Head. It's a barrel aged IPA. It was decent. Some interesting flavors going on, but it was very boozy and I doubt I could drink more than one.

Also, if it's Giant Eagle that got a growler station I would be ecstatic. But I doubt it was.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Boulder Beer has at least three good beers: Flashback, Mojo, and Hopped and Infused. Mojo is a great IPA.

It's Hazed and Infused, but yes....all good. Sweaty Betty from Boulder not only sounds disgusting, it is disgusting.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So my sister is proud of me for finally going back to school and getting dean's list and poo poo, and she's agreed to send me some beer. (She's in Orange County, CA, I'm in Ohio) I've already told her I want Pliny the Elder, help me figure out a few more for her to send that are west coast only!

(Like I've said on here before....I'm a HUGE fan of IPAs, and not so much stouts. That means if its a really boozy stout I probably won't like it, but by all means make the suggestion if you think its worth it and I might like it)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Yeah! Definitely have her get some Firestone Walker. That is one brewing co. I wish I had been able to get beer from when I traded.

I thought Pliny was pretty good when I tried it, but that was also before I had the chance to try White Rajah. I think WR is so solid for the price that it will be hard to beat.

Edit: In other news, my local shop got in some Palate Wrecker. I think I might pick some up, but probably won't drink it for about a week or two. I've drank entirely too much beer in the past four days, I'm going to take a few days off!

I also saw a stack of Palate Wrecker today and bought a 4pack. I probably won't drink it until this weekend.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So if you've ever watched or been to a Cleveland Indians game, you may have heard the constant beating of a drum whenever the Tribe gets runners in scoring position. There's a guy named John Adams who literally is there every game beating the drum.

So anyways, Great Lakes just named their new red ale "Rally Drummer Red Ale" in his honor. Pretty cool.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
White Rajah must be selling pretty well at my grocery store, cuz they now have it available in the cooler too. :woop:

And they're starting to get more and more Ballast Point bombers. Awesome IPAs for me!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Hoppin Frog stuff is only available in bombers. I don't think some of them are worth the price they charge, but I think all of their beers are good for the most part. I've tried every single beer they've produced, and there are few which I would never think about buying again.

What do you recommend by Hoppin' Frog? I recently went to a grocery store (the largest grocery store in the world, sq/ft wise) that seems to have pretty much every Hoppin' Frog offering (at least 8 to 10 if I remember correctly).

I saw that their Triple IPA is like $15.99, eff that. How are their other IPAs? Any interesting maybe more malt/hop balanced offerings?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Jungle Jim's? Man I miss that place. Want to go back and see their beer collection again now that I know my poo poo more.

Yep. I've been going there for about the past 3 years and I think their selection has gotten better just in that time. But of course, I think more breweries have expanded to Ohio so thats probably part of it. Still, I can find stuff at Kroger, like White Rajah, that for some reason Jungle Jim's doesn't have.

They're actually building another Jungle Jim's on the east side of Cincinnati that's supposed to be bigger than the original. Opening in June if I remember correctly.

Next month at Jungle Jim's is an evening tasting with The Brew Kettle, with the owner/operator in attendance. Pretty sure I'm going to go to that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I didn't see anything in there about being able to buy beer at normal places like grocery stores, gas stations, etc.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Beer Wars is infuriating because its subject matter is pretty awesome, and a lot of stuff is explained really well. But the filmmaker is just awful and annoying.

But unfortunately it really is the best documentary that I know of about the beer industry.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just bought the Great Divide 18th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA.

Anyone had it yet?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

I hate licorice too and I bought the anise stone IRS, but that's because I'm dumb and I didn't know anise was what licorice was made out of.

It's not. But the flavors are very similar.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just had the Great Divide 18th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA.

I like it. A lot. Very good balance going on. Glad its not too sweet. And the oak chips add just the right touch of flavor.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone ever attend Founders Fest before? I might be going this year because the special lady and I have some friends up in Michigan that we haven't visited in awhile, and I have the entire week leading up to Founders Fest off.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sirotan posted:

If you are big into music and like hearing local bands play for hours you might enjoy it. I went one year and found it to be kinda meh. They do put on a few special beers for the event but otherwise it's nothing spectacular.

Yeah I wasn't really expecting any sort of Dark Lord Day type madness. Is it good/fun enough for two beer nerds and their ladies to enjoy on a Saturday afternoon?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Went to the store today, saw a fresh palate that was being unloaded and shelved and look down and see a few cases of Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster.

Of course I bought a 4-pack. Haven't had it since last year and even then only had one glass on draft. This stuff is drat good, and blows Commodore Perry out of the water.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Bought 2 bombers today: Stone IRS and Chocolate Oaked Yeti

I'm still trying to find my taste for stouts so this may be an adventure.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well I happen to be absolutely loving this Stone IRS.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

there you are, then. buy a bunch- it's relatively cheap and ages really well.

I may do this later today.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What beers are generally good for aging? Barleywines, stouts, what else?

I think I'm going to start aging some stuff in my parents basement (so I won't be tempted to drink them, you see. Also: I don't have a basement) and already have a Stone IRS that I'm bringing there next weekend.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for easy to find (in Ohio) beers that are good for aging, I'm taking suggestions.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I know for some people wheat beers are perfect on a summer day, but drat....it's 80 degrees today, and this nice cold glass of Sculpin is just fantastic.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also: I saw 3F Blackheart at my local shop.....is this stuff any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Any thoughts on this trio of Southern Tier stouts? Creme Broule, Mokah, and Jahva?