Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/03/tallgrass-brewing-goes-all-in-with-video-game-inspired-8-bit-pale-ale/

This is pretty hilarious.

I have no clue how good this brewery is, but Galaxy Hops in a can? WHY DOESN'T HALF ACRE DO THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Man, 1 in 26 chance to win. Those are some great odds. Sucks no Chigoons won =/.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Drinking La Chouffe, a Belgian strong pale ale, and holy poo poo this is amazing. It's like the cross of a triple and an IPA. Better than Le Freak.

Get the Houblon. It's even better.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Midorka posted:

Incoming poo poo-storm post:

I know people are going to bitch about the drain pouring of the 3 Fonteinen so go for it.

Why say something like this and then get all defensive when people actually do it? Seems like you're just attention whoring for throwing away $$$$

Beer talk - gently caress Two Brothers. Other than there regular offerings, their beer sucks and is bland. Also, I can't wait for Half Acre Chocolate Camaro to come out again this Friday. It's one of the few sweet stouts that I actually enjoy.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Ubik posted:

Wait, so if a brewery's regular offerings - which make up the majority of their production - are good but they do a few bad specialty beers, they suck? :psyduck:

I actually really enjoy Cane and Ebel as well, and I don't mind Domaine Dupage, but I'm not talking about a few beers. When you have five regular beers and most of your "Artisan Beers" or seasonals are boring/bad I can't get behind it. The J series, Northwind, Circus Penguin, Askew, Hoodwink, Bare Tree, Moaten, Why Winter, Atom Smasher, Hop Juice? I don't dislike the company (like I do Finch's), I just think that with the exception of Cane and Ebel there is nothing stand out about their offerings. Maybe they should stick to relatively low ABV "normal" beers?

Jokingly - I wouldn't use that production argument considering the company you work for; else the 312 brewing company makes only really bland products.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 8, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

:suicide:
Horror, your name is Bed and Breakfast.

I thought I posted about this the other day...

My local store had a tasting of this, their Amarillo and their barleywine for free. I can honestly say it was one of the worst beers I have ever had. The ashiness is overpoweringly bad on such a light beer and it was extremely carbonated, so much so it stung my tongue. It was even more ridiculous too considering the Amarillo IPA and barleywine were absolutely fantastic.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

okay, i'm in New Orleans now and the one shop i've visited has a ridiculous selection of Shelton Brothers beer. some things were no-brainers, but if anybody has suggestions, recommendations, etc, for the stuff i wasn't as sure about...

Vanberg & DeWulf Lambickx ($23)
Kriek De Ranke ($16)
Pannepot 2010 and 2011 ($7) (snagged a 2010, wasn't sure if that was an awesome
price and should therefore get more)
Fantome Chocolat, la Dalmatienne (light), de Noel, (between $14-17)
Danish brewer To Ol
Norway's Haand brewery

gently caress, there were a lot more- you know, what, i just thought to look and they actually have this poo poo on their website. help me, goons, because the dudes that work there have zero customer service skills. goons i trade with, tell me if there's anything you want.

Cork and Bottle is also a really good store with great customer service. It's right around the corner from Parkway Bakery (my favorite poboys) so you can hit two great places. I assume you've gone/are going to the Avenue Pub as well?

From that list, I can only speak for the Pannepot. It is really good (especially the reservas/grand reserva) and that's a great price.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

oh, i forgot- ordered a Nola Blond at some place in the French Quarter and it had loving ice in it. not cubes, the beer was actually partially-frozen- how does that happen on draft? also, despite being brewed in the city, it was listed as an import (along with locally-made Abita, Sam Adams, and a few other things); Bud Light was the "only" domestic. pffft.

VVVV really, that was aimed more at people in my neck of the woods, i should've qualified that.

New Orleans, and the Quarter particularly, is not a beer friendly town. The pickings are typically slim. People don't care what they drink down there, as long as it gets them drunk so liquor is still king.

Nola is overall unremarkable but their Irish Channel stout is a fine example of a dry stout and the Hopitoulas IPA is pretty good. Flambeau Red is the best thing they make. Don't get the saison.

Why is the under 21 thing an issue, are you with some people who aren't?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I bought a sixpack of Bigfoot Barleywine to cellar, and cracked one open to get a feel for it fresh. This...was a mistake. I'm sure it will be great after a year or two but god drat, right now it is intense. Somehow way too bitter and way too sweet at the same time, big syrupy body. At 9.6% it leaves noticeable legs on the glass. I've had some barleywines I enjoy fresh but so far this one is not doing it for me.

It's funny you say this. I love bigfoot all ways, but I really enjoy it fresh. I'm drinking one right now and while it is intensely hoppy, the malt sweetness really helps it out. I don't find it syrupy though, to me stuff like Alaskan, Gratitude, and any barrel aged one is much more syrupy.

@ Grimace - You can drink Abacus fresh. It's not that intense since it has already mellowed out in the barrel.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Drank a Bourbon County Bramble finally with ShaneB and I can't say that I would go out of my way for it again. It wasn't bad at all, it was just super rich and heavy. It was pretty difficult to split the bottle just by two.

It didn't remind me of BCS at all and the fruit was SUPER forward with the first few sips. Then it faded to the back and just left a lingering tartness. It had this rich dark fruit choclatelyness that was really too much by the end of the glass. For the alcohol (13 or 14%?) it was dumb easy to drink though. It pales in comparison to the fresh 2011 BCS.

Then we had a 2008 Arctic Devil Barleywine and a Jolly Pumpkin Biere De Mars Grand Reserve. :smugbert:

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 14, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I demand to know if he's like that in real life.

Like what? He does make some snide remarks, but it comes off differently on a message board. He's a cool guy that knows a lot about beer.

I'll be honest, while some of the remarks can be crass, I can't say I don't disagree with the sentiment. As much as I love the beer thread, sometimes the same post over and over again gets a little old. It's the nature of the subject.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

we aren't friends anymore

Sorry, bro, let me buy you a GUINNESS to cheer you up.

@Bored - We are trying to do something bigger soon, like Shane said this was fairly spontaneous.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Midorka posted:

I agree original BORIS is better, I simply was impressed with how mellow the bourbon and oak was though as some barrel aged beers simply become too heavy on oak or bourbon. I guess that makes sense though as you said it spends little time in a barrel. I wouldn't buy it again, but I definitely enjoyed it. Speaking of BORIS, there's two versions at my shop one has the 2008 GABF medal around the neck, the other has an updated one to add 2011. Are there any differences in the newer version compared to the ones that have been shipping or is it still the same old BORIS.

Edit: Wanted to add I actually enjoyed BORIS more than DORIS as well, since we're talking BORIS now.

They released an anniversary version in Chicago with a blue cap and a neck hanger(not sure if this is the one you were talking about). I'd say it was a worse beer but cost more money than the regular.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I ended up being a runner up in the Cipher contest by Half Acre too! Here was the haul that I got today:

In addition to a few tastings with the people working, and a nice tour of the facility! Such cool people.

*edit* I was able to read the beer on the left.

Anything special with that Small Animal Big Machine? That label is not the regular one.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I only vaguely remember what they said about it: A limited run beer in collaboration with some others. Belgian style (two different types of yeast was mentioned), made with cherries and currants. I think it is a sour? I also think he mentioned that this is a cask aged version of it.

Ah ok.

Yea they did a collaboration with Pipeworks and De Struise. It was pretty awful when they first released it, marginally better when I drank my last bottle a month ago. It's lightly tart, but definitely not sour. Maybe the extra aging helped it?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Weebay posted:

I'll confirm that for you, if you don't have a ticket, they won't let you in; the event was getting too crowded so they capped it.

Hey Paul Proteus you going again this year?

Yes, I remember you and your friend. I think I still have you business card (I sadly haven't gotten the chance to use it by going to Canada though =/).

Like Shane said, he grabbed me a ticket because I was seriously in Pre-Cana class all day on St. Patrick's day. I would love to try to work something out beforehand. I've had random success rates planning meets for DLD, but I'd be all up for it again. I know I'll be bringing some random things like last time.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

deadwing posted:

Gubna is so, so, so good. I've never seen an IPA that divides feelings so much. You can plant me fully in the "love it" camp, but there's so many people who hate it as well. You can also expect to pay 15 bucks for a four-pack of it. I'll always pick a pack up though when I know a store just got a new shipment.

gently caress summit hops

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

If you want to try a barleywine on the cheap it is almost Lagunitas Gnarlywine season, which is a pretty decent example for the $.

That said, Barleywine means so many different things to so many different companies. It's probably my favorite style though.

My favorite one fresh (as of late) has to be this:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

also kind of interesting to see that La Folie isn't flying off the shelves as i expected; i think people around here got burned out on the average beers NB had been shipping us after all the initial hype and are unaware of what a great beer it is.

Not too surprising. It's expensive and much worse than the on tap version. I also doubt it ages much considering I'm pretty sure it's filtered. (Because I know it will be mentioned, this does not include the cork & cage versions.)

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Can any Chicagoons tell me what the availability of stuff from Half Acre is like? I have a friend going to Chicago on Sunday, and he'll be coming back Monday, and he said he would be willing to pick me up some beer.

I was just wondering if it was available at Binny's, or if he would have to stop in at the brewery on Monday. I'm hoping for him to pick me up a 6 pack of Alpha King, and some Daisy Cutter.

Daisy Cutter, Over Ale, and Gossamer are all pretty available at all the Binnys.

They may have Baume and Cipher, but the brewery definitely still does as of yesterday.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Anyways, I asked this before but no one answered or I missed it. I picked up another bottle of More Brown Than Black and I'm now fully convinced its the best beer I've ever had. Short of buying up the entire stock at the local liquor store (I will probably do this, there are like ~5 bottles left), what are the chances this is ever released again? If the chances are slim, what is another great IPA with a good hop-roast balance?

It will probably not be released again as it was a collaboration.

Cocoa Mole is still rocking the shelves here in Chicago; it's really delicious (I had it on tap) but they want $15.00 a bottle for it.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

That's the highest I heard it go, but considering I've seen it on the shelf at different stores in the price points from $6.50 to $9 a bomber, I really am not surprised that it would go up to $15.

It's funny because it isn't even a small store changing the price, it is the largest chain in town, Binnys. I spoke with the beer buyer and he said he was surprised too, but it was priced appropriately based on what they were paying for it. The distribution company was the one gouging the price.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

danbanana posted:

also for chicago people: two brothers is brewing red eye again. coffee porter that is so, so good. find it!

Coffee flavor was ok, but it was quite thin and the alcohol was pretty forward for me. It's ok this time around.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

FFF Behemoth is one of the worst beers they make (and a terrible example of the style), imo, and this is coming from a huge Barleywine fan. It's ridiculous price doesn't help it either.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

Recently I did have a 2010 Great Divide Old Ruffian which I enjoyed far more than most barleywines. I guess I prefer a hoppier barleywine to a maltier one

Old Ruffian is one of the most hoppy don't give a gently caress barleywines out there. A year ago at Chigoon meet I opened a 4 year old bottle and it was still as hoppy/bitter as ever. I'll also throw fresh Bigfoot, Gnarlywine, Central Waters Y2K (one of the best I've had in years) in there too.

Gratitude and Olde School are probably the sweetest I've had.

Behemoth is an overpriced mess of a beer that I've been disappointed with every time I've tried it.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I Dont Like You posted:

I really like it. I haven't had the Y2K myself (only even saw it on a shelf once, oddly), but really enjoying the barrel aged version and cannot wait to see how it holds up as the months go by. I absolutely LOVE the Peruvian Morning though, excellent beer (BB Stout is also pretty good too, just like the PM moreso). Have you had a chance to try the 1414?

The regular version is way better than the bourbon versions. Way too thin for a barrel aged beer.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Pretty Things Baby Tree is pretty good, albeit very yeasty tasting.

Sweetwater Dank Tank BSP was probably my favorite American quad.

Does BBQ count?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

I was actually looking to special order from Binny's,

http://www.binnys.com/beer/search/?advs=3&astxt=cantillon

Binnys won't ship beer. That and just because it's on the site doesn't mean they have it in stock. They haven't had Cantillon for a while.

For you ChiGoons, I had my first good experience at Hopleaf last night. I went there early enough, sat down to get dinner, and had a great time. poo poo was still packed starting at 6 though. The Chouffe Houblon on tap probably helped my perspective.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Going to Hopleaf for dinner tonight. Their beer menu is huge and full of things I've never tried. Any recommendations from fellow Chicagoans? Style doesn't matter; I'm to the point where I'll try anything once.

They have La Chouffe Houblon on tap. It is amazing. Otherwise their tap list last weekend was pretty pedestrian.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Weebay posted:

I'll confirm that for you, if you don't have a ticket, they won't let you in; the event was getting too crowded so they capped it.

Hey Paul Proteus you going again this year?

Weebay, I have been trying to find that business card and I can't to save my life. Seeing that you don't have PMs, I hope you continue to read this thread. Email me at jmurra7 at gmail so we can set something up.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

What are Goose Island bombers going for in established markets?

$9 six packs, $8 bombers for everything not in a barrel in Chicago.

http://www.binnys.com/beer/search/?advs=3&astxt=goose%20island

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Final DLD post out

http://www.3floyds.com/2012/04/26/2012-dld/

"This year’s bottles are Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord, Vanilla Bean Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord, Cognac Barrel Aged Dark Lord, and Cognac Barrel Aged Dark Lord de Muerte."

If I win I think I'd go Cognac or Vanilla Bourbon.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I never want another barrel aged beer again.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Kudosx posted:

So what's up with the goons who went to DLD '12? I know there was a few of you... but none of you have posted about it!

Funky is 100% right.

DLD is a huge event with lots of people and lots of lines. At this point it is what it is for me. Nothing really changes each year so why write about it again?

It doesn't compare to how it used to be, but they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. Shane and I had an ok time; our biggest complaint would be the lines for non Dark Lord beer (both for taps and for the cases/bottles) and that the guest taps did not change very quickly.

That said, yea, I don't want any barrel aged beer for a while. Having so many different kinds of those beers both burns you out as well as shows how 1 dimensional many are.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Not everyone has been reading the beer threads since the beginning.

I was mostly just curious if any of you won a 'golden' ticket, and which version of DL you chose if you did win.

Neither have I! There is just a lot of information out there on it already, and I think I've done trip reports in years past.

As for the golden ticket, neither of us won. I'm glad I didn't, I'm not out the $50; I honestly would have given it to the guy next to me in line if I had.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Midorka posted:

"Fruity" beers encapsulate a large variety from sours to Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, with some being completely hard to handle. You're implying that Abacus is so far off of the style that it isn't comparable to others, which you're exaggerating completely. The only thing that makes Abacus different than any barleywine is the barrel aging, and even so the oak is not forward at all. It's a loving delicious barleywine and there's nothing about it that would turn someone off from it if they didn't like, say, Old Foghorn, whereas the Gueze isn't at all representative of all fruit beers since it's such a vague genre.

I have to disagree. Not only is Abacus fairly expensive and difficult to find depending on where you're located, but most American barleywines are strongly hopped and very forward when fresh. Abacus by its nature is mellowed out quite a lot and feels much sweeter because it doesn't have quite the hop bite. I'm not saying its bad, its just not a regular old barleywine. You may love the strong coconut flavors in that and hate a regular barleywine.

Bigfoot is the prototypical American barleywine, but I think there are some other interesting ways to get into it. Smuttynose Wheatwine or New Holland's Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine are easier / cheaper ways to get into a very similar genre. Foghorn and Old Horizontal are are also great, cheap, available options. Fresh Old Ruffian is probably the hoppiest example that is readily available.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Just because it is an English barleywine doesn't mean it has to be super sweet with no hop presence; there are examples out there that are strongly hopped with a more "UK" hop bite (as opposed to a citrusy California hop type). I'm not going to argue coconut in Abacus because that's just dumb.

The barleywine style has one of the largest ranges of "acceptable" examples, imo, which is part of the reason why it interests me so much.

The point I'm trying to make is that a barrel-aged version of any beer does not naturally lead to the regular version of it. If someone wants to get into either one, more power to them, but I feel they are two distinct styles, especially examples like Abacus that get a lot from the barrel.

*edit* Since you live in Chicago, you need to come to the next goon beer meet. I'll bring a Central Waters Y2K: which is one of the best, most balanced barleywines I've ever had.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 4, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Oh that reminds me; not to prove you wrong but to point out that they do use bourbon as the primary (if not only) barrel in Abacus. 2011 abacus was heavy on the coconut *edit* and was in 20-year-old Heaven’s Hill Bourbon Barrels.

http://www.beerpulse.com/2011/03/firestone-walker-abacus-hits-retail-in-a-couple-weeks/

Description from 2012 Abacus off FW's page

"Big boozy bourbon and American oak aromas combined with soft chocolate malty undertones. Complex malt flavors framed in oak, with hints of dark chocolate, vanilla, tobacco, coconut and just a touch of dark cherry. This is definitely a sipping beer, best served in a brandy snifter. This ale pairs well with dark chocolate and sturdy cheeses."

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 4, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

crazyfish posted:

Will probably see you there! Got my bike fixed up and ready to roll.

I have a prior engagement tonight, but I think I'm going to check out the Norse bar tomorrow for the same tapping. It should be less crowded considering it's up north near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Saison-Brett is pretty loving perfect. The keg version has pretty tame Brett, but it is an essentially perfect saison. I'm mentally comparing it to saison Dupont, but it's just a tiny bit creamier. I can't wait to hunt down bottles in a month.

Had mine tonight at Norse. Not only is the bar way cheaper/easier to deal with, but the beer was fantastic. More brett than I think you got. The aroma leaned towards medicinal/band-aid, but was not too much to push it over. It was absolutely fantastic and I am going to hound some bottles too.