Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mandatory WFH, mandatory closing down of all breweries in CA. Lots of breweries and bottleshops are now to-go cans only, and one near me started doing same-day delivery out of desperation for cash, I assume. My daycare provider for my 1yo twins (today actually!) closed just for today for disinfection/cleaning, so I've had a loving hell of a day trying to accomplish anything. I did manage to get a delivery order put in for:
- Alvarado St, Vengeful Barbarian
- Humble Sea, Partying's Tough (collab with Alvarado)
- Urban Roots, Nothing can Stop me Now
- Burning Barrel, Dinosaur Mind Control
- Mikkeller, Breakfast Klob Oatmeal Stout

I also live near a New Glory tap room, and they're doing 19% off cans if you buy a case. I took advantage of that. Should last me til the weekend.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hell yeah, I scored a keg of Interpreter Hazy IIPA by Ruse Brewing from a local bottle shop / tap room.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zam posted:

The CA breweries have jumped into shipping quickly. Ended up ordering a mixed case from Cellarmaker and some cans from Humble Sea, and Russian River just announced they'll ship as well so I grabbed a mix 12 with Pliny and Blind Pig.

I really hope the shipping and local pickup options are enough to keep breweries running through this all.

Yeah I’m in the sac area and a ton have started shipping, or same-day delivery locally. It rules. Plus taprooms are trying to offload 5 gal kegs. I just picked up Interpreter hazy DIPA keg by Ruse in Portland and it is awesome.

They’ve got no limits on any Russian River, but I’m not really into those. The Sac area has so many breweries that make WC IPAs that are just as good as those and aren’t subject to ”limited” supply.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Looks like everyone is starting to ship now. Humble Sea is shipping out in USPS Priority boxes...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I picked up a 4 of the Humble Sea/Alvarado Partying's Tough last week locally and it's loving phenomenal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pork butt smoked for 17h and Humble Sea / Alvarado St’s Partying’s Tough NE DIPA. I died and went to heaven.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ That looks loving glorious.

I just picked up a keg of Tight Quarters NE IPA from Slice Beer (one of the head brewers of Moonraker left to start this) because they're trying to dump stock as well. They only put 8 on sale and I snagged one. They sold out in like 15 mins. This is going to be delicious. I just have to crush the rest of my Ruse Interpreter keg first.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

goon meet at this guy's house!

What’s funny is I bought the keg of Interpreter 10 days ago and since I picked up the Slice today, it’s been sitting in my garage. I’ve had to hurry up and drain the Ruse as fast as possible with lunch beers while working from home.

This quarantine has definitely upped my wife and I’s beer intake quite a bit since everywhere is trying to dump keg inventory.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a sankey D coupler on my kegerator. I just got a keg (the delicious one in my last post :( ). It seems as if the coupler isn't extending full enough to engage the seal on the keg. I've never had this issue before with any other keg. It seems to come up perhaps a few mm too short, because if I unscrew the coupler, beer sprays out. If I manually push down on my coupler and pull the faucet, I get a veryyyyyyy slow dribble of beer out. Is there any reason why my coupler wouldn't extend far enough? Gaskets look fine, but then again, I've never changed them. It's one of those recyclable plastic kegs, but my previous keg was also the same variety and it worked fine.

At least it smells good when I get sprayed with beer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

It's probably a problem with the keg, those one way kegs aren't the greatest. Either a manufacturing defect where the neck of the keg is a bit too deep or the tabs that hold the coupler down are a little off. Either that or something clogged up inside the keg valve.

Yeah I think the neck is just a bit too deep. When I unscrew the coupler, it ends up spraying some beer out, so it’s like a few mms too short. I changed out both gaskets on the coupler, but no dice.

I’m trying to think of a MacGuyver way to get it a bit lower. I tried putting a few layers of duct tape on the bottom of the tabs in the neck, but that didn’t really work.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I think the neck is just a bit too deep. When I unscrew the coupler, it ends up spraying some beer out, so it’s like a few mms too short. I changed out both gaskets on the coupler, but no dice.

I’m trying to think of a MacGuyver way to get it a bit lower. I tried putting a few layers of duct tape on the bottom of the tabs in the neck, but that didn’t really work.

Since I replaced my coupler gaskets, I cut up my old probe gasket into a couple smaller pieces and laid them on top of the red button (usually a ball, it’s one of the disposable plastic kegs), screwed the coupler back on and boom, the beer was flowing and pouring great. As suspected, the probe just didn’t go deep enough.

Go go gadget engineering degree!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got 2 kegs from a local brewery that doesn’t sell kegs normally. And just ordered a few crowlers. Why can’t I stop buying delicious beer?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

opened an Alvarado Street/Humble Sea Partying's Tough. it is an aggressively terrible beer that tastes like someone melted plastic into vegetable stew and then zested some rotten grapefruit on top. still has a 4.36 rating on untappd, even managing a four-star review from someone who says the finish tastes like hot dog water. i don't care if you don't think our stuff is great, but we have never made anything this bad and i bet no beer of ours has that high of a rating. i am tempted to make an account simply to poo poo on this awful beer.

!!!!!!!!!!!

I just gave that a 5 on Untappd actually, and I've only given 1 or 2 other beers 5s. I thought it was loving phenomenal. Maybe you got a bad batch? I dunno, but man, I thought it was insane.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My local Yard House is selling growlers of all 100 of their taps. It’s wild.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

man. gently caress $20 flat rate shipping anywhere in CA

Moonraker is charging $32 lmao

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mahoning posted:

That is a gorgeous can design. I love it.

Meanwhile I’m drinking this:

Which is an atrocious can design but a delicious beer.

Hell yeah marble works motherfucker

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Gotta have your kiddo play with the toys from your childhood.

We got those for our kids a few years ago for Christmas and I spent the day using the ramp to jump marbles off our balcony, bounce off the floor, and land in the catcher piece. poo poo's sweet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Picking up my third keg since this whole shitshow started. Good grief. Although, one of them is still 3/4 full, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

2 Slice so far, and now a Moonraker.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Went to pick up a keg at a brewery that doesn’t ever sell kegs... and there we’re a bunch of people tailgating in the parking lot with their cans :lol:, but a couple parking spots in between each other, so we had to stay and have a beer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you think that's bad, you should have witnessed the scene last week when I tried to get a Nintendo Switch for my kids at Target. Jesus H Christ, there were so many sweaty nerds piled on top of each other trying to jostle to the front of the blob. It was unreal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Banger and Topper were both hot poo poo for like 3 days in the Sacramento area a few months ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh hey, Focal and Topper are back in Sac.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If anyone is in the Sac area, pick up Slice Beer's Cloud World hazy IPA. Doubles are my sweet spot, but this is fantastic for a single.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zam posted:

I know they remain adamant about not shipping, but this is the next brewery I’d love to see start shipping now that Moonlight jumped into the fray.

Yeah I don’t think Slice has the capacity yet. Their place is pretty small and pretty sure they only distribute to a couple restaurants and no bottle shops. Thankfully, they’re only - 10-minute drive from me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Want to see something extremely shameful and gross? (Not me)

https://youtu.be/se3OEIM9vrs

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone else not like Alvarado/Great Notion Double Dank Shake? People here go apeshit for it and it's sold out in under 24h for every bottle shop here. My buddy gave me 2 and I don't like it at all. The amount of peach in it is offensive and there's no "dank" flavor whatsoever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Casa Agria ships kegs, free shipping. I couldn't pass that up and got their Summer in the Streets hazy. It was shipped yesterday and showed up on my porch this morning. I was hoping to have maybe another day or at least a few more hours. I've got a keg of an imperial red that's low, but not gone, so I have no room in the kegerator. I just pulled a growler, 2 kid water bottles, and 2 pint glasses from the keg and it's still kicking while the Casa Agria sits next to the kegerator. This is going to be an interesting day of work...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

pffft, call me back when they put out exploding $30 four-packs

Sounds like my third and final batch of home brew. Put too much bottling sugar in and they exploded in my closet. I called it good on home brew that day. All 3 of my batches sucked rear end anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Goddamn, this is one smooth-rear end WC triple.

e: maybe it’s just the phone, but drat did imgur wreck the quality of that pic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yo, this is one of the best singles I’ve ever had.

Trying the Foggy Window tonight.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Trying the Foggy Window tonight.

Goddamn. These are 2 of the best hazys I’ve had. My first Monkish beers. I can see why online orders are gone in seconds. Shame they don’t distribute to NorCal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yooooo, this stout from Slice / Bottle Logic is so loving good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:lol: People are fuckin MAD they didn’t get any Pliny the Younger today. Sold out in like 5 seconds.

RR made a post on BA saying they had 110k people trying to order from 6k available cases. I’m guessing a ton of them were bots but people are steamed as hell. And it’s hilarious to see grown adults melt down over beer. And a beer that’s been surpasses by 1000 other breweries in the past 5 years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what the gently caress is a Pliny?

A beer that has an extremely poor taste to availability ratio. Mostly by design.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I still dunno what a pastry stout is

A 900 calorie beer

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Imagine a stout made with donuts, or Captain Crunch, or cannolis, or all three.

New Glory, local to me:
https://www.newglorybeer.com/beers/plentiful-pastries/
https://www.newglorybeer.com/beers/its-crunch-time/

They actually make really good beers, but I have not tried this one. A bunch of their stouts give me diabetes just reading the ingredients.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, I just stopped at Revision a couple days ago on my way through. Cool place! Too bad I had a kid in the car (and also a pandemic) and had to grab everything to go. Looks like a neat place to have a couple.

Like everyone said, Knee Deep made some pretty good WCs a while back, and still continue to make them, but they’ve been lapped by a ton of other breweries that have popped up nearby (Moonraker, Slice, Auburn Alehouse, Revision, etc). It took them an eternity to jump on the hazy wagon and I don’t think they’ve put out a single one that could compete with the aforementioned breweries. They’ve all been super meh.

I still drop their Breaking Bud and Hoptologist in my kegerator from time to time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Handful of CEOs and owners stepping down the past couple days but still getting their paycheck cause they own the company.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I have this one from Best Buy and I’m happy with it, although for some reason the price on it has gone up a hundred bucks since I bought mine. There’s plenty of room inside for a second keg if you ever want to upgrade.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5-6-cu-ft-1-tap-beverage-cooler-kegerator-stainless-steel/4223301.p?skuId=4223301

I have the 2-tap version of this and it owns. They put these both on sale every now and then. I think I paid $375 for mine a few years ago.

I do recommend swapping the stock 5' beer lines out for 10' to give a bit more line resistance. That way you can run ~10psi without worrying about it blasting out and foaming up your beer.
Get a second CO2 tank as well. That way if you run out on the weekend, or you have a loose connection and it all leaks out, you have a backup.

Also, don't tell your friends you have a keg/kegerator. It'll ruin any "oh this is way cheaper to buy beer in kegs" you may be thinking :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I always keep either Modelo or Pacifico in my 2-tap kegerator, then an IPA of some sort on the other. Nothing like a crispy lager for a pool beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Celebration is one of those beers where I’m like “oh awesome Celebration time already!” And I buy a 12 then am like “yep that was alright, see ya in a year.”