Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Some of the Goose Island BCBS variants are $40 this year….I feel like that’s a pretty big jump?

A lot of the special barrel ones have been there and above for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Holy poo poo Nightstalker. Garbage.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not worth it. Just don't drink as often

This. The solution is drink less, not drink stuff you don't like or just tolerate.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Real Bad Uncle vibes itt

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Travels 4,000 miles to be around neckbeards speaking a different language

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

smackfu posted:

We had some fancy beer caramels las tonight and they just tasted like caramels with a bitter aftertaste.

I've taken some sweet-as-gently caress beers and tried to make simple syrup out of them and it has always turned out dreadfully bitter. Hops, yo.

Also, my family long ago stopped buying me beer gifts because they realized that I did not want those.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Wasn't there a Napa-or-something place brewing a lager and charging like $40? They had some insane tech-bro setup or something. I remember reading the puff piece on them here.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ohhhhhh I remember this now where it was like some brew setup built complex enough for a chemical engineering RND lab but they made dad beers, and it was all afluenza kids from NorCal.

That's the one I'm thinking of but the fact that google is not giving me the place maybe says something about their success a few years later...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Lol yessss

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Human Tornada posted:

Hot drat looks like I'm drinking Budweiser this three day weekend

Go Woke, Go On Severe Discount, I guess...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
*mostly crickets in this thread for months*

GONNA poo poo ON BIGFOOT AND SEE IF THAT PICKS THINGS UP

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also, someone should probably change the name of this thread...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Radio Nowhere posted:

Can go for a English style barleywine, but they basically no longer exist around me.

My initial reaction to this was "wut?" but then I realized that I probably haven't seen an English BW that wasn't barrel aged in... a long while.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Quiet Feet posted:

Someone posted a kegerator to my local Buy Nothing group and I was the first person to post asking about it so uh... guess I might get a free kegerator? :stare:

codo27 posted:

Alright. Going to lose my mind with the kegerator. To recap, first half dozen kegs were fine, then started getting too much head. Got the line cleaning kit from amazon. Used it and next keg was perfect. Figured I could get a few without having to go through that again. Next keg was back to being tons of head. Used the kit again yesterday, and found a small bit of black stuff within one of the little holes in the spout so I figured I would be in the clear. Friday night comes. Same loving thing again. Take a little USB fan I have and connect it to a portable battery pack and point it up into the tower because that must be all thats left that can be wrong right? Get one pint that seems a bit better, but next time I go back, nothing comes out. The line had frozen. Left the door open to thaw and still just tons and tons of head, I need to waste a crazy amount to get one pint, not to mention the time it takes.

I just get a few seconds of pure head, then it starts to try and go translucent but then theres like an air pocket or something and then it finally starts pouring correctly but by then theres 6 inches of head in my glass and I'm just going to lose my mind here soon.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I feel those generally oxidize too much compared to other BA'd barleywines but also no reason not to find out. Drink that poo poo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Are... you suggesting Oklahoma is the midwest?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Coastal Elites itt

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Y'all tip on samples, right?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I was not expecting a serious answer but yes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

as a brewery employee, i get mad at multiple people every day

Would it help if I tipped?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

why would you even order that?

BLAME THE VICTIM

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

lmao i just got an email from the veil for the charcoal beer despite it having been brewed two years ago

Oh when Drie Fonteinen puts "vintage' on their beers it's cool but not when The Veil does it?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RocketMermaid posted:

Having come from Chicago, the PNW is definitely a bit... self-absorbed about its beer trends and traditions.

EXCUSE me it's a Cascadian Dark Ale

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
That's retail in 2010!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Waterbury has like 5 restaurants and every one has an amazing taplist of mostly local stuff. The bottle shop in town is also great. Basically just hang in Waterbury. If you want a fancy option, definitely hit Hen Of the Wood.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

Tonights beer is Zombie Dust, since it was just chilling with BCBS and Pliny the Elder in a desperate attempt to be 2016 again. Its pretty decent but it honestly just tastes like a lesser version of Lizard King

Sir, that's a 2013 combo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Mad Elf, eh?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Is your neighbor a regular or just some person coming to buy your wares?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

chill the gently caress out and remember it's people enjoying beer on the other end and their palates might taste poo poo differently than you.

That's from all the free cigars, tho.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

AFewBricksShy posted:

I wasn’t surprised at the differences between the years due to last year’s tasting but the dramatic switch between 20 and 21 as far as taste goes is surprising. Unfortunately we don’t keep notes (maybe next year) but it was interesting. I don’t know if the taste of the individual years changes over time, but it is definitely different from year to year

Are you aging them? Time changes beers so if you're doing a side-by-side with this and previous years, the difference is going to be influenced by age, storage conditions, etc.

I don't know enough about the beer to know if they're intentionally changing recipes every year, similar to what Anchor would do with their Christmas Ale. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

AFewBricksShy posted:

I don't know how much the color differences will show on those, we ended up bringing in a desk lamp for a better light to see them by.

22 and 21 were similar, 20 was a big jump in taste from all the rest (and was slightly hazier than the others. Then 19 and 18 were yet a different flavor. Our guess is 19 and 18 were heavier with cherries than the other years.

Color difference is likely an effect of oxidation, which is the process most likely to affect flavor and appearance when aging.

You might be able to tell differences in recipe but honestly it's probably more of the aging that you're getting from year to year. It also wouldn't be crazy for a younger vintage to be "more" aged depending on storage, variation from bottle to bottle, etc.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also obviously gently caress this echo chamber blah blah blah

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jhet posted:

Goldfinger makes one I believe.

Kinslahger, too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
And per Untappd, Dovetail's is on right now.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Holy poo poo KRUSTSER

AN XMAS MIRACLE

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Are hop waters considered tapes?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
NA TAPES

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If I was near you, I would do nothing but drink Allagash House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Let's Remember Some Tapes