Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I bought a Sam Adams sampler box with their Black Lager and three or four others. The Black Lager had an aroma of cigarette butts that have been sitting in water. That's really the only way I know how to explain it, and that's exactly the aroma/taste that I got. Is this normal? I really enjoyed Guinness Black Lager so I assumed that Sam Adams' version wouldn't be half bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

danbanana posted:

And tonight I ran into the first Founders Breakfast Stouts of the year. Seriously a perfect beer.

I'm fairly new to "good" beer. I picked up a growler of FBS from a local shop about a month ago. Everyone saying it's just now being released makes me think it wasn't recently brewed. Is this true or are release dates very different depending on what part of the country you're in?

Edit: Also, does it even matter if it was from a previous brew and not recent?

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 14, 2012

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
A local place has several 4-packs of BCS for $7.49. Is this a stupid-low price/should I stock up? I've tried it once before and loved it, but I'm not sure what the price was at the time.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

crazyfish posted:

Brooklyn Chocolate Stout or Bourbon County Stout? If it's the latter (though I'd be shocked at the pricing mistake), buy out the store. Don't think I've ever had Brooklyn's.

It's the Brooklyn's.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Picked up Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck Imperial Stout tonight. It tastes unlike any other imperial I've ever had. Almost sour. Is this normal? I read some stuff about Duck Rabbit having infection issues, but to be honest, I have no idea what it means for a beer to be infected or even what to look for in an infected beer. I'm also probably just overreacting to a different taste in a new beer. Other than that, it's not terrible.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

funkybottoms posted:

where did you buy it? if it has a sour, oddly fruity taste to it, you probably got some infected beer. a friend of mine sent me two infected six-packs a while back and DR has been pretty loving lovely about responding to messages, so talk to the store if that's the case.

I got it at a local place in northeast Georgia. It does have that fruity, sour taste. I will feel like a tool bringing it back in if I'm not 100% sure it's infected. They're really nice folks though, so I assume they'd be understanding?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I'm driving to Ann Arbor from the Atlanta area near the end of the month for a good friend's wedding.
I'm trying to convince a friend that's driving with me that we need to spend the day after the wedding in Grand Rapids at Founder's.
I'm hoping that he says yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Sirotan posted:

If you've had exposure to Founder's beers, I would check the beer list for the taproom before you bother to drive the extra two hours. Sometimes the only thing they have on tap are their common year-round offerings along with one or two weird experimental beers that have always disappointed me. (If you haven't had most of their beer then you can just ignore all that.)

Plenty of places in town to get Breakfast Stout on tap from. You should spend your extra time at Jolly Pumpkin, anyway.

I've only had the Porter, Breakfast Stout, Dirty Bastard, and Imperial Stout.

Tell me more about this Jolly Pumpkin.