Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Totally just heard a dude at the bar say "horse blanket" when explaining Belgian sours to his girlfriend. I'd shake his hand, but it'd be embarrassing for both of us.

True story: right before I ran into you at Funkwerks the assistant brewer was talking about Crooked Stave's stuff and described brett as contributing "barnyard" and "horse blanket" character :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Paul Proteus posted:

I have no clue how good this brewery is, but Galaxy Hops in a can? WHY DOESN'T HALF ACRE DO THIS

FWIW I've had several Tallgrass beers and not enjoyed any of them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Flat beer that's not done conditioning yet? Where do I pay?!?

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 5, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah sorry that was a little douchey. I still think it's a silly gimmick but whatever, it does really depend on what stage in the process they're talking about as Munkaboo said. They said "straight from the fermenter" and I got hung up on that but I don't really know anything about Stone's process or equipment.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to San Antonio, TX in a couple weeks. There's a few breweries in town it looks like, anyone know anything about them? We may also day trip up to Austin, although it's SXSW that week so the city should be a total shitshow.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Is it because the Sam Adam's version actually had some character? For how dark the Guiness Black Lager is, it really has no roasty characteristics, which I guess could be tobacco-y to some. Then again, Guinness's Dark Lager is 'cold brewed'(tm) whatever the hell that means.

One technique you can use to make dark beers without a roast character is to steep the dark grains in cool water rather than throwing them in the mash. This extracts color and some of the coffee/chocolate flavors but not big harsh roasty flavors and tannins. So maybe that's what they mean? Either that or just the fact that it's a lager and fermented colder.

Edit: just realized you're in the homebrew thread and probably already knew this, w/e

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

Oskar Blues Gubna is a fine DIPA in a can. G'Knight is also really good, but more of an imperial red.

Deviant Dale's should be available any day now, if it's not already :getin:

Edit: can looks hard core, too

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sometimes I take my local standbys for granted. Had a few Odell Red Ale's last night (their spring seasonal) and it's pretty drat awesome. It's pretty much only a red ale in color... big-rear end American hops dominate to the point you could easily call it an IPA and no one would question you. Maybe just a touch maltier than your typical IPA but really it's all about the hops. Very enjoyable beer.

I also had a New Belgium Dig and still don't like it. It's not bad, I just don't really enjoy the tropical fruit thing they're doing with it. When I reach for a pale ale I want citrus and pine, not mango and plum, but I realize that's a personal hangup. Bring back Mighty Arrow, dammit :colbert:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Midorka posted:

Interesting, is that the smokey flavor from it then? Laphroaig 10 made me think I was smoking a cigarette with each sip.

Yeah, peat in scotch kind of manifests itself as smoke and dirt, but in a very enjoyable way (somehow). Sort of like the funkier brett/lacto/pedio flavors that sound gross but make for an amazing beer.

Do a side by side of an Irish whiskey like Jameson or Bushmills and a scotch. The biggest difference (AFAIK) is that the Irish don't dry their malt over peat fires the way the Scots do, and the flavor difference is very obvious.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Remember how I wasn't expecting to find good beer here? Last night we made a quick beer run, as one of my friends hadn't brought any for the first night. Lo and loving behold, La Folie in the cooler! Probably got ripped off hardcore ($18 seems like a lot) but I split the cost with a friend of mine so it wasn't so bad.

That's actually not a terrible price for La Folie. I live in the same city as New Belgium and it's like $14-15 for a bomber locally.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They're all going to get snatched up and resold on eBay for like $500 anyway, good luck getting one for retail value.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Let's Talk Beer #87162865123: Still loving Arguing About Dogfish Head Twice a Month

For actual content, New Belgium's Blue Paddle is a good session beer I haven't given enough of a chance. Colorado has hit a beautiful warm spell (I'm awaiting the inevitable foot of snow I know is coming at least twice before the nice weather sticks) and Blue Paddle is refreshing as hell. I feel like they must have improved it a bit because Ratebeer is full of poo poo like "tastes like a can of corn" ('sup DMS) and I also had bad memories but decided to give it another shot. It's a nice, hoppy, all-malt pilsner with very strong carbonation that goes down real smooth at a lowly 4.8% ABV.

It's not mind blowingly awesome but I really enjoy it as a daily drinker. And at like $8 vs $11 for Prima Pils out here, I'll take New Belguim's offering.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't think there's been much New Belgium hate at all, other than universal agreement that Fat Tire sucks. I guess since that's their flagship, that reflects kind of poorly on them. But it funds La Folie, Le Terroir (:swoon:) and all sorts of great Lips of Faith experiments.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

I think it's fair to say they don't rely heavily on the flagship beer. They have tons of seasonals and year rounds on tap and in stores, it's pretty easy to try lots of New Belgium without touching Fat Tire. They really are like Sam Adams of the West.

I meet people regularly to whom Fat Tire is literally the name of the brewery. If I ask if they mean New Belgium, they're like, "who?". I'm sure there are many thousands of people in Boston who'd be surprised to learn there are Sam Adams beers outside of "Sam", "Sam Lite", "Sam Summer" and maybe Oktoberfest. I think it might be the Beer Geek Blinder thing again. We know New Belgium puts out a shitload of beers, but the one tap they get at Applebees or whatever the gently caress is Fat Tire, not La Folie or Ranger or Tripel.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I bought a sixpack of Bigfoot Barleywine to cellar, and cracked one open to get a feel for it fresh. This...was a mistake. I'm sure it will be great after a year or two but god drat, right now it is intense. Somehow way too bitter and way too sweet at the same time, big syrupy body. At 9.6% it leaves noticeable legs on the glass. I've had some barleywines I enjoy fresh but so far this one is not doing it for me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You could have an open container in your car in Wyoming as recently as 2007 :razz:

quote:

“When I came to Wyoming 17 years ago, a person could be drinking a beer and have a loaded gun and wave to a cop at a stoplight and it was legal,” said Capt. Jim Whalen of the Teton County Sheriff’s Office.

:emoticon of a crying bison:

As someone who lives about 30 minutes from the WY border, I am both in love with and terrified by that place.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 13, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

On vacation in texas, thanks everyone who gave recommendations.

Yesterday we hit up Blue Star in San Antonio... :barf: Pale ale tasted of caramel and butter, minimal hops. Wheat beer was bland and had the throat burning acid I associate with dirty beer lines. Their stout was decent, your basic Guinness clone. We did have pretty great nachos, at least!

Right now I am at Black Star coop in Austin, this joint is doing it right. Super nice taproom, awesome food and selection, nice tap and bottle list. I had their Vulcan rye IPA which was intense but enjoyable. Now I'm working through a random sampler of Texas brews the bartender made me.

Adelberts blonde: dude said its keg conditioned, poured so yeasty it's basically brown. Tasted fine if unremarkable. I look forward to awful beer farts on the drive back to San Antonio!

Independence Lupulust "hoppy tripel" : really great. Smells and tastes like a good tripel dosed with an asdload of noble hops.

Live oak schwarzbier: haven't had a lot of this style but it seems well made, nice dark malt character without being super heavy or roasty. Pretty tannic and astringent in the finish, though.

St Arnold Bitter Belgian: reminded me of the Lupulust but not as good. A bit darker and maltier. Still very nice. It's possible I have those two backwards but I don't think so, sampler didn't have a guide or label.

So far, Austin > SA. May try to hit Freetail tomorrow on our last full day here.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 15, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

Is there really any danger to the beer aside from having the sediment/yeast gather on the side of the bottle rather than the bottom?

I think the other part is that you are increasing the surface area in the head space, so in theory oxygen will get into the beer faster. Whether that is a real issue or not I am not sure.

We did make it to Freetail tonight in San Antonio. Place owns. Everything was good to great, in contrast to everything else in the SA area which tasted like bad homebrew. The rye wit was a particular standout. They also had good food and played a lot of old punk rock, which is worth many bonus points with me. Totally awesome joint!

Kudosx posted:

I hope all you bros are getting wasted like me

I will be back home in Colorado tomorrow, and a buddy is having a party with a keg of Odell 5 Barrel so probably a lot of that :cheers:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 17, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

obi_ant posted:

God drat if that Sierra Nevada Hoptimum isn't one of my favorite IPAs. I typically ignored Sierra Nevada, but do they make anything else I should try?

I haven't really explored their bombers or special releases, but literally all of their year round and seasonal beers are great IMO.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

In other news, I walked up and down main street in Breckenridge (the town) earlier and it was about what I expected. The rehab center is gonna be very full overnight. The "come here tourists" Irish pub, it turned out was charging a $20 cover (which came with a glass and a free green Coors), so I declined.

I ended up spending ALL of St Paddys waiting to be rebooked from a canceled flight (:bang:), after finally landing in home sweet Denver we grabbed dinner in LoDo. Hoooooooly crap it was a shitshow down there and we were out before 9PM. Saw so many people almost get hit by cars just staggering into traffic. Wasn't quite as nuts as when I lived in South Boston but at least Southie has the excuse of actually being a historical (and to some extent, current) Irish slum!

Got home and skipped the beer, went straight to whiskey. It's been that kind of day.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Oh snap that's out now?! :jumps in car, drives to Longmont:

Apparently Left Hand Smokejumper 2012 is now available or will be very soon :razz:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm on a bit of a quest to find a great everyday pilsner (a real one, not lovely American adjunct lager). Today's entry is Great Divide's Nomad. It's almost really awesome but I find it too bitter. Very nice aroma of floral, grassy hops and sweet, bready malt. There's good body and some malt sweetness, but the finish is pure IPA bitterness and it hangs around on your tongue. If they dialed that back a bit it would be quite awesome. It's also like $10 for a sixer which seems excessive.

So far it's still a tossup between New Belgium Blue Paddle and Avery Joe's Pilsner.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Prima is really good, but I've had several bad experiences out here with it being pretty old. After blowing $10-11 on a sixpack it sucks to get an oxidized, faded-hop product.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

$10 is on the high end of what I'm willing to pay for a beer that isn't a limited release or barrel aged or something. When I can get a sixpack from a world-class brewery like Deschutes or New Belgium for less than $8, yes, $10 is pricey. Not outrageous by any means, but pricey. Sorry for being a poor plebe who has expenses in his life besides booze.

vvv Edit: I should add that I am spoiled to live in an area where beer is hella cheap, which I totally acknowledge.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 21, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bought a tallboy of Deviant Dale's today. Had to take a couple sips from the can just 'cause drinking an 8% IPA from a tallboy is badass but then it went in a glass so I could see and smell it. This is a serious freaking beer, it drinks a bit like the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot I had last week. Really thick, full mouthfeel. There's some caramel sweetness but mostly it's all about the hops. Lots of pine and grapefruit, aggressively bitter. I'm enjoying it but it's not an every day beer, it's a lot to handle.

Not sure how to read their canning dates, but I'd parse "2 02 06" as Feb 6th? So a month and a half old

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So it does! 02-24-12, thanks for the tip.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

They aren't really wine-like at all, except in strength. You aren't going to mistake it for something other than beer. Sometimes there's some sherry or port character that develops, but it's still hops and malt driving the flavor.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

Picked up some Sam Adams Latitude 48 because my local bottle shop was closed and the convenience store didn't have Stowaway IPA. Haven't had this in a year or so. Still quite enjoyable, but it's no Stone IPA.

Oh nice, are they putting that out again? I thoroughly enjoy it, especially the "Deconstructed" pack where they have a couple bottles each of a single-hop beer with just one of the 5 hops that goes into the IPA and the same malt bill. Last year my local store bought way too much and was selling it for like $9 a 12 pack toward the end of summer, so that was a good bonus.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wattershed posted:

Thought I'd try Ruthless Rye tonight. It smells like a fart, not sulphury, just a straight fart.

:wtc: tastebuds etc but I get no such thing, Ruthless Rye owns.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pro forklift drivers over at Goose Island!

https://twitter.com/#!/jalaffler/status/182918446290448384/photo/1

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had Funkwerks Brett Dream tonight on draft, pretty much agree with Super Hassler's assessment. Tastes very nice, more or less exactly what I'd expect if someone said "saison with Brettanomyces added". Smells like a dirty butt, and not in some kind of stretched analogy good way. I usually love Funkwerks, but (at least fresh) this one is kind of a dud.

Got a Double Jack draft to make up for it, so good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I linked this joint in the last thread, and their website is actually WAY less embarrassing now, but check out Big Beaver Brewing. Just the logo is...yeah. And most of the beer names are dick/vagina jokes. I didn't realize 7th graders were allowed to open breweries. I'm far from a prude, the marketing is just so loving amateurish I have no interest in trying their beer. Maybe I'm missing out, I think Super Hassler has been there before?

Edit: also

that site posted:

We are committed to brewing the best beer possible, following the German purity law, which states only water, malted barley, hops, and yeast can be used to make beer.

This Bourbon infused stout was a crazy experiment. ... We’ve combined the pleasant sweetness of cranberry and the tartness of a sour beer

ok

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 26, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

In Loveland I'd muuuuuuuuch rather goto Grimm Brothers though, they are innovative in really fascinating ways and I've never had anything bad from them and what's more their facility is way better.

Agreed, Grimm is pretty great and I should go there more often. Really love the Master Thief porter. They've already expanded once and are looking to again soon, so hopefully people outside of northern Colorado will be able to check them out eventually.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's beyond my shamefully bad understanding of chemistry, but hop extract is made by exposing hops to CO2 under extremely high pressure. Somehow this extracts the alpha acids, leaving behind everything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_fluid_extraction

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kudosx posted:

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, yes. I heard that this is the reason it's used in Pliny the Elder.

It's also an efficiency thing. You could put 8 billion pounds of hops into your kettle, which is both very expensive and soaks up gallons of wort, meaning you produce less beer. Or you just dump in a small container of extract which causes no volume loss. You still use real hops for flavor and aroma, but for your first addition when you'd be getting next to nothing but bitterness either way, why not take advantage of extract?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Question: What's a good beer for getting a strong yeast flavor? Specifically something I can think of for textbook yeast character.

...a saison? Different yeast strains produce a huge range of flavors so this is a bit of a weird question. There's no one "yeast character". Broadly speaking, anything American in style, and any kind of lager, are fermented with super clean yeasts so they are poor choices. Look at saisons, hefeweizens, or Belgian dubbel and tripel. Those are all styles where the yeast's flavor is front and center. But you'll notice they are all very very different despite that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I see XV all over the drat place in Colorado, but I don't think I've ever seen Sucaba. They only entered our market last year. So there's a random data point.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I got off work early and it's ridiculously nice out, so I grabbed a Weihenstephaner hefeweizen to drink in the sun. You guys weren't kidding, one of the best hefeweizens I've ever had.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

Drank this tonight too and drat, was it good. Next time I'm buying 2.

I found Oksar Blues and most of the 4-packs were $18.99. Is it worth it? I'm not quite positive of the exact brews they had but I'm going to have to see which one is worth getting.

That glass is baller as hell. I'm not a huge sperg about having the "right" glass for every beer but a nice weizen glass seems like a solid investment.

Oskar Blues is marginally cheaper at home in Colorado, $13-14 for their specialty four packs. I'm probably the wrong person to answer this since I'm an established tightwad, but my 2 cents is that Ten Fidy is easily worth it. Deviant Dale's is an ok buy too given that they are tall boys. Everything else... ehhhhh. They're good but I'd rather pay less money for more equally great beer by getting a sixer of Union Jack or something.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had Left Hand Smokejumper imperial porter tonight on draft. It's loving great. Big and rich but with a balancing bitterness and very pronounced smoked malt character. Kind of a weird time for it to be coming out with temps (unseasonably) pushing 80 in Colorado right now, but I'm not going to complain. It would pair amazingly with any sort of BBQ. I'd never heard of it before til a couple people mentioned it in this thread, but I'm glad I tried it. Worth a try for sure if you enjoy smoked beers at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jack Skeleton posted:

I'm surprised there's not more April fool's beer jokes.

This Bruery canning mass release got a small chuckle out of me.

Here, have a Rocky Mountain Oyster stout.