Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Me in Reverse posted:

Snitching is just fine when people are abusing things like this. You could have had one of that guy's memberships if he wasn't a shithead. It's in direct violation of CCB's rules, even though he's 'found a loophole'.. lovely behavior shouldn't be allowed.

Just...buy beer from a different brewery, there's loads of them.

Glad we don't have this kind of attitude in the UK (admittedly the 'craft' beer scene has been around here a ways longer, with all the real ale fuds.)

edit: Admittedly I did travel to Bruges, in part, to drink a Westvleteren 12

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rapman the Cook posted:

The Little Creatures IPA, a "local" beer, is very nice, and Im glad they have put this on as a regular release beer. Its very sessional like most of their beers, and still very hoppy but always more towards the flowery side than the bitter/pine/etc. Has as good body that Im still working out what to say about - malty like an aussie beer?. It does have a nice hit of grapefruit/pine bitterness. Its more of an initial hit and its decent, it stays very on the front of your tongue and fades quite fast to the back and lingers a little. The worst part, and why i said "local", is this has had awful distro in its home state...very depressing.

I'm in the UK, but you can get Little Creatures here. Fan-loving-tastic beer.

Depressing indeed that it's easily gettable over here in London and not in WA

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

And I find this out after moving out of London. Bollocks.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Yeah exactly, it's never going to be a daily drinker, but as a one-off thing for a special treat I'll take the plunge once. To be fair Ruination sells here for £4.50, is never anywhere near as fresh as this and comes in a bottle not far off half the size, and I still buy that every now and then.

I really just want to see how it compares with the super fresh IPAs the UK brewers are pushing out - Bristol Beer Factory did an Un/Limited Double IPA that had the date plastered all over the front and was clearly an attempt at an Enjoy By thing so I really want to see how it stands up to stuff like that and some of the Kernel stuff.

Even having said all that I have to say the price still stings a bit, but I've spent money on stupider poo poo so what the hey.

I'm in the UK as well, got any recommendations for Brewers to try (particularly anything in the Northwest). I'd put Siren, Wild Beer Co and Magic Rock up against anything I've had from the American microbrews that make their way over here.

Its kinda funny to see Bitter becoming a thing in the US, there's stacks of it over here, unsuprisingly, and it's cheaper than even the worst lager. Shame it doesn't travel well.

A shame Liverpool Crafts beer isn't as good as its labelling..

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've had Unhuman Cannonball, it's amazing. Salt Lick as well if its still about. Trying to keep my hands off a bottle of Sirens Ten Finger Discount until the weekend, and really tempted to order a mixed case from Kernel. Bang on about Thornbridge Jaipur, it's everywhere, so you don't know how good it is until you have (a few) pints.

Biggest problem with the UK craft scene is actually laying your hands on the stuff. Seems you can't by beer directly from most of the brewers.. That and IPA meaning a different ale entirely depending on the brewery involved.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 24, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

If you want cases of beer from a single brewer EeBria is about as good as it gets - they dropship directly from the brewery, I've had Buxton beer from them that was bottled the same day it shipped!

I subscribed for 3 months to their Discovery Case and so far the selection has been awesome, so if you're after a random mixed selection that might be the way to go. If you go for that I have a 15% off your first order code on the tasting notes from this month's selection.

Ah, sound.

I think I'll go for that to get me going then, cheers! What part of the country are you in, out of curiosity?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I'm in the South West, in Gloucestershire. I'm less than an hour away from Bristol too which is like a beer Mecca frankly, craft beer bars and breweries popping up on what seems like a weekly basis. If you're ever down this way give me a shout and I'll show you some of the good pubs!

Liverpool here. Things are getting good in a hurry up here, Manchester still has us beat to our shame.

Actually might be down there later in the year, will give you a nod if I do :)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fluo posted:

This is a solid list, but I'd like to also add Dark Star (mainly for their Espresso and also Hophead which is only 3.8% but it's a great session beer which you need sometimes when spending hours at a pub with your mates) and New Bristol Brewery, their Super Deluxe Stout is just amazing all round. Caramalt, crystal, chocolate malt, Munich, roasted barley, oats, wheat, milk sugar, East Kent Goldings then in the cask vanilla pods and cold extracted/pressed coffee. :swoon:

I used to go to Brighton a lot, and the Darkstar pubs there are great, particularly the Evening Star :swoon: Sunburst :swoon:

Drank a bottle of Batemans Mocha Porter last weekend and it was pretty goddamn amazing for a beer that came from Sainsburys.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I pissed off some locals on BeerAdvocate because I essentially made fun of them for wanting to camp out for El Catador Club signups on Sunday. They don't trust us because of the Hunahpu's Day fiasco, yet they're going to camp out for our beer?

"gently caress CCB, they lied about Hunahpu's Day and hosed everyone over. Oh this tent? I'm going to camp out in the shady parking lot across the street from CCB so I can purchase bottles of beer that don't exist."

Beer geeks are the worst

See, I'm glad this whole thing doesn't exist over our side of the pond.

Theres way too much good beer for anyone to get that wound up about a single release from a single brewery IMHO.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

pantsfree posted:

I'd also add Beavertown to this list. Gamma Ray is a fantastic pale ale (especially for £2 a can), and they have some excellent stouts and porters.
Moor in Bristol also have some lovely cask ales.

Gamma Ray is excellent. I can and have drank it all day long.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

:allears:

That's funny. This sort of behavior has nothing to do with a lack of good beer.

I didn't mean 'Theres too much good beer HERE and not the US' for that behaviour. There's too much good beer period now for people to be just that mad about any one in particular. It's really reminiscent of some of the wine scene, and not in a good way.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I thought I'd put Moor on there (Hoppiness is probably the best cask beer I've had in years) and Beavertown definitely deserve a spot but I forgot about them. Their new cans and bottles have some of the best art going too.

Wheres a good place to get Beavertown cans online? Coming up a blank here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

English style IPA or bitter is pretty perfect for a hot day, and low ABV.

Not that we normally have the weather to make the most of that.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dphi posted:

I've now had 3 different beers with rhubarb in them in the past 2 days.

That sounds like a problem I could deal with comfortably.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Red willow - Sleepless

I have never heard of these guys before, but this is pretty good. Amber ale, oaky, got some toffee and a good dose of bitterness going on. Might be because this is my first beer in a week, but it's making my day right now.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bundt Cake posted:

OK so for my honeymoon I might get to go to Belgium for a week (or two, Im trying not to contemplate the possibility because i feel that I am already at the maximum excitement level). My goal is to drink a large number of beers, both in terms of different beers and in total. Has anyone gone? Help me drink beer in another country

I only really know about Bruges but:

Cambrinus has one of the most extensive beer selections of any bar anywhere, over 400 beers, all of which seem to have the correct glasses o_O Drink a Westvleteren 12 here, they have it even if they don't advertise it.

Brugs Beertje is a more traditional looking bar, great food, great beer, lose hours here.

De Halve Maan‎ Brewery, do the brewery tour here and get one of the best views of the city into the bargain, ed around by a completely insane ancient belgian man. Afterward drink half a dozen glasses of Straffe Hendrick, then fall over because you had no idea it was 9%

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Y-Hat posted:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/18-overrated-beers-1609092735

A mix of macros and craft brews on this list, but here's something that caught my eye:

Throwin some shade.

Dumps on Blue Moon for being a craft brew wannabe while recommending Hoegaarden (which is owned by Anheuser-Busch).

Reccomends Smithwicks, a beer so bad the Irish won't drink it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Wamsutta posted:

I don't think it's fair to put Abita in with Magic Hat. Abita isn't amazing, but I haven't had anything from them that's just plain bad.

I am also partial to Abita because I drank a couple of Ambers with Clarke Peters, who played Lester Freamon on "The Wire", when I was in the French Quarter. This is for sure a humble-brag because that guy rules.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit that's cool.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

saints gambit posted:

I feel like people don't take the English breweries seriously because of the way in which it is difficult to standardize the experience due to cask service. I was at the first London Craft Beer Festival and there's some truly interesting craft beer. Siren was great. If you can get their Oatmeal Stout, it's fantastic. I liked Magic Rock and Partizan and the new school stuff. The odd thing was that even though they clearly have ability to keg and filter these North American craft style beers to make them consistent and manageable, they persist in trying to make casks try to drop bright despite the dry hopping and unfriendly yeast strains.

What you end up with are some incredibly tasty beers that are really ugly. My Yorkshire friends refer to it as "London Murky" and complain that everything tastes like Grapefruit. They're not wrong. Still, if you get people like Thornbridge or Darkstar or even Crate in Hackney who can prime the casks right, they're adopting old techniques to new ideas and it's really exciting.

Ideally, in craft beer generally, we end up in a situation where all styles continue to exist without being pushed out of the market via prejudice and everything increases in quality. London struck me as being in a weird middle ground where the CAMRA folks hate some of the innovation and the innovative folks lack the respect for the older technique. I hope to check in in about three years and see how it went.

I was drinking Sirens Oatmeal IPA yesterday, the brewery makes some pretty great stuff.

Beavertown are making me very happy at the moment, the Smog Rocket porter is incredible.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I should really get some more Cantillon in.

I mean, they're just over the channel really.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

No_talent posted:

When I was in Ireland last year, tons of people were drinking MGD. I thought it was reeealy odd to see 7 Euro pints of MGD on pretty much every table in every bar I went to.

That crap has been around since before I left Ireland fifteen years ago. The beer in Ireland is godawful unless you like stout.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I'm going to start sounding like a shill, but if you're one of the half-dozen UK beer people who post here, you have to consider taking a look at EeBria's Discovery Case thing.

My second month's one just turned up and it's even better than the last one I raved about. Look at this poo poo!

You even get some funky little tasting notes:

It's not cheap but if you get the 3-month option and use the 15% off code it works out about £2.54/bottle which delivered I don't think is bad at all, and some of the bottles are less than 2 weeks old. And 'dat selection.

Ohhh, mine should be at home when I get back.

Edit: Actually looks really amazing, some pretty unusual stuff for UK beer in there, was fearing a lot of samey stuff.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 8, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Compusaurus posted:

Beer nerds are the worst. Taken about 1.5 hours ago for the NG release.

Fuuuuck that

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

funkybottoms posted:

but is it $18 per six-pack good?

Never move to the UK, our beer prices would make you cry.

Well, Cantillon and other Belgians are cheaper this side of the pond, but getting six of any craft beer for $18 equivalent would be a dream.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

http://www.brewdog.com/product/magic-stone-dog-w-magic-rock-stone

Might need like, all of this.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Podima posted:

Ah, the authentic CT experience during rush hour! Glad to hear you made it to NEBCO though, did they have the latest Fat Ten-er on tap? (#9 - a "Belgian table beer" - sounds interesting)

Belgian Table Bier?

This is pretty good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I didn't really think I liked berliner weisse, the ones in Berlin were loaded wih ruit syrup and prety much Alcopops

https://www.eebria.com/products/beer/buxton-brewery/550-far-skyline

I was so wrong, this is amazing

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

Far Skyline is loving banging, as is Brew By Numbers 04/01 Berliner.

edit:

I run a beer shop in London, UK. I have a good relationship with a guy who travels for business out of Raleigh, NC quite often. We trade beer. What are locally-available beers I should get him to bring me? I've managed to score Heady Topper and Prairie BOMB off him, which I thought were quite good finds, but I'm starting to flag a little on my knowledge of what to ask for. I've really loved all the Wicked Weed stuff he's brought over too.

Where is this shop / What is it called? I dont live in London any more, but I know a bunch of thirsty gits who do..

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

I'm a bit leery about posting exact details online given anonymous hahaha but it's run as part of a young but rapidly-expanding brewery with a load of bars across the UK and some internationally. Make of that what you will. Or check my post history.

Ah that does limit it down to kind of one place yup. Have heard great things about the shop!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

IS the yard of ale a thing anywhere but the UK?

From personal experience it's basically impossible for mortals.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

krustster posted:

I tried/blasted a couple of interesting tapes/beers last night.

De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis: A really, really good bourbon barrel stout, which we didn't expect since it's from the Netherlands and just says "Ale" on the label (didn't research ahead of time). It had a lot of dark/milk chocolate action going on with the bourbon. Too bad it was like $14 for a 11.2 oz bottle.

This beer is indeed fantastic.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fluo posted:

It must be a transport issue I guess, I don't know what import prices are (they get kind of silly both ends of the pond, seen Alesmith Speedway Stout for £28 a bottle here before :psyduck:) but I found the same issue with American beers coming to the UK, the hoppy ones are alot more obvious though. :(

Prices for imported American craft are pretty insane, and I've never had anything that justified the cost compared to all the European stuff around.

Having said that, I had a ~10 day old bottle of three flloyds that a friend brought back for me on a trip over the pond, and fresh it was really damned good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Beavertown makes the prettiest cans..

Although drinking seven tins of Gamma Ray in the middle of the day has made me a tiny bit sleepy.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Was the JW Lees fresh? I haven't had one recently, but most of what I've tasted have all had a few years on them and they've all been great. I had a 9 year aged calvados barrel JW Lees a few years ago at Monk's that was absolutely divine. And I'm sitting on a 2010 and a 2011 that I'll probably hold onto a bit longer.

But I agree with the english barleywine love. I'll also take all of your Old Ales while we're on the subject of sweet boozy syrupy brews.

JW Lees made it over the atlantic?

At best, I've found their beer..inoffensive

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Interesting article in the papers yesterday. Apparently the UK has more breweries per head than any other country in the world.

I suppose unlike the US we've had a continuous tradition of smaller 'ale' breweries that never went away. No prohibition and all that.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

KiteAuraan posted:

Tried the Boon Oude Geuze tonight. It was a good geuze, not the best I've had, but pretty darn good regardless. All the usual flavors were their, even if it was fairly standard overall. Can't beat it at $7 a bottle though.

Related to geuze, is the Drie Fonteinen Doesjel worth getting at $20 a bottle? That's what my local place wants and I would like to try it since I love their standard geuze.

Huh, weird coincidence. I had the Oude Geuze last night, not the best ever but pretty drat good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

MunchE posted:

I don't have high expectations of BrewDog in general but I actually quite liked Tokio

Their lager is pretty godawful.*

On the other hand Jackhammer is kinda awesome, not worth importing awesome, but if you're ever the correct side of the atlantic.

*Only had it twice, both from Brewpubs.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 10, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

KiteAuraan posted:

I can never find BrewDog here that's not their IPA. And a year old. That tells me something.

The Hardcore IPA is really decent. But not after a year, no.

I'd imagine importing IPAs to the US is a hard sell at the best of times.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I've drunk a lot of Brewdog and a lot of (very expensive in comparison) American beer, and Brewdog's good stuff is easily up there with the best of the US stuff. I'm sure after it's sat on a boat for 12 weeks then takes another few months to make its way through the ludicrous distribution systems you guys have that it's well past its best, but it's totally unfair to say it's poo poo.

Yeah they're brash, but they're slowly growing up, the absolute poo poo they used to write on the side of their bottles has gone, the new labels are quite classy (albeit boring), they have a fund used to support up and coming craft brewers and they're the UK's only national brewer who pay all staff a living wage. Plus, honestly, without them the UK craft beer explosion wouldn't be anywhere near as far along as it is today - the idea of getting a sour or an imperial stout in a UK bar before Brewdog turned up was just unheard of.

It winds me up the hate they get on here when there are companies like Stone who are worse in almost every way yet don't get 1/10th of the BD hate.

Oh, I don't hate them, far from it. In fact I was in one of their bars just the other week in Manchester (where I had the aforementioned disappointing lager). I think the brashness was entirely necessary for them to make a mark and stand out from the rather entrenched real ale crowd who hadn't a hope in hell of getting anyone under 30 drinking them at the time.

The bars are pretty awesome as well, they stock a lot of other UK indy brewers and the staff know their poo poo.

I'd kill for a Beavertown or Siren bar mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

internet celebrity posted:

Dogfish Head actually makes outstanding beer though. Granted I'm in the US but everything I've had from Brewdog has been fair to okay. They don't have anything near as good as 60/90 minute, Festina Peace, My Antonia, etc.

The only real problem I have with Dogfish Head is their legal department.

I'm the opposite way round, I found Brewdog stuff in general better than Dogfish Head, perils of the atlantic I guess.

And that squirrel stuffed brewdog bottle should really, really have had a monocle and top hat.