Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Your welcome. I went and added everyone on untappd.
A little history on the beer in my home city of Calgary: For the longest time Labatt and Molson were pretty much the only beer available in the province. We have a perfect climate for growing barley but most of it was used for cattle feed. Then in 1985 Ed McNally (rest in peace) started Big Rock Brewery, the grandfather of all Alberta microbreweries. In 86 there was a strike at the macro breweries which led to a huge surge of popularity in Big Rock. In the early 90's there was a rise of micro breweries in the province, especially after 1993 when liquor stores were privatized. Most of the breweries that started in the 90's are still around today like Wild Rose & Alley Kat.
Big Rock's signature beer is the Traditional, an English style brown ale (if you want to sound like a local call it Trad). They have recently gone under new management who have promised to put out more adventurous beers as they were straying from their micro beer roots. Their newest offering is Wai-iti, a wheat ale brewed with Wai-iti hops from New Zealand. Citrusy but a little bland. I gave it 3/5.
Wild Rose, founded in 96, has an awesome brewery/tap room that is located in an aircraft hanger on what used to be an armed forces base. If you are ever in Calgary you have to visit it. Every two or three months they make a limited release. Currently it's Switch Hitter, an India Pale Lager. A decent mix of a pale lager with a west coat IPA. I gave it 3/5.

My beer of the summer is Windstorm by Stanley Park Brewing from Vancouver. It's a west coat pale ale with a lot of tasty citrus flavour. I'm mostly a fan of darker Belgian styles and dislike most IPA types so I was very surprised by this. 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
For the Canadians: is Collective Arts a good brewery or just good at marketing? I see them everywhere here in Alberta and yeah the labels are cool but I've yet to have anything from them that I would rate higher than 3/5

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
I had PBR Hard Tea recently. It was very tasty. Also probably full of sugar.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

ElectricRelaxation posted:

What's the best way to clean and sanitize old growlers? I got some back from an old roommate - two full-size glass, one half-size glass, one half-size stainless steel - and I want to make sure they're clean for use. As far as I can tell they were fully rinsed, emptied, and dried after their last use, and have been sealed since then; there doesn't seem to be any residue/growth inside and only a very faint odor from a couple when I open them up, but that could just be stale air. That said, though, I don't think they've been used in at least 3 years, and I really want to be certain before I try to get them filled. Most of the stuff I find online seems to be aimed at cleaning growlers that had been used a lot more recently. Thanks!

Diversol aka The Pink Stuff is the gold standard for cleaning and sanitizing

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

I bought this mostly for the label but Dageraad does make good Belgian style beers.