Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Tried to go to a tapping of Firestone XV last night. The bar literally cannot be reached by car right now, the whole area is under construction and looks like a war zone.

...the keg blew in 12 minutes, before I even got in the door. Apparently I am not hardcore enough for this beer stuff :ohdear:

On the bright side, they had both Boulevard Saison Brett and North Coast Pranqster on, neither of which I'd had before. Both are pretty outstanding.
You live in the Denver area, right? What are some good places to check out, both for taps and a package store?
I've been spending a lot of time up there lately, but haven't had a lot of time to look around. I'm driving up in August and mostly looking to load up on stuff I can't ordinarily find. For what it's worth, I'm staying a few blocks east of downtown. Argonaut's in walking distance, which is the only store I've looked at so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Picked up Brux last night. I want to try it fresh and see if I like it before getting another bottle to age
I'm sitting on 3 bottles at the moment, realised my local store has another few cases left. I want more, but I don't know how much I actually want to spend on it, especially since I'm headed back up to Denver in a week or two and planning on bringing back a bunch of things that aren't distributed here.

edit: also, thanks for the denver recommendations earlier!

Hauki fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 30, 2012

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Has anyone tried Narwhal from Sierra Nevada? Pretty hoppy for an imperial stout, pretty drat good though.
I ended up buying 4x4 packs in the end with the intention to age 12 bottles and try them periodically...instead I'm down to 6 already.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I would like to report that La Cumbre's Elevated IPA is fantastic and deliciously fresh @1 month from canning date. More importantly, though, is that Olde Hickory's Death by Hops is absolutely great and able to stand up against some of the greats. I will be buying the poo poo out of this when I visit NC from now on.
Are you local to La Cumbre, or are they finally seeing distribution outside of northern New Mexico?
Curious because I love most of their stuff and would like to see them get some recognition in a wider market.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Midorka posted:

You can buy it online direct from the brewery, well through a site but it's sent from the brewery. Check ratebeer, they have a buy it now feature under the rate button.
I live like 2 miles from the brewery, I was just curious where he was (getting it) from.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Abyss '12 finally came in, so I guess I'll be grabbing a few bottles of that while it's available. Also, local store dug out Stone Vertical Epic '04 - '12 - doing a tasting that I probably can't make, but they also have bottles of each for sale. I can't recall which years were which now - should I look for any in particular?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I Dont Like You posted:

Ayinger Celebrator and Weihenstephaner Korbinian for sure.
Both of these are pretty rad, and I think I saw the Ayinger in a 4-pack here the other day.
Also, Aventinus' Eisbock is still around and I can't help myself from buying more.

edit: weird, they claim it's year-round availability, but it usually shows up for only the month of November here.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Managed a decent haul this weekend:

Boris to the left, Gift of the Magi behind the Surette, also Hop Wallop, Boulevard Tank 7 and Velvet Merlin not pictured.
Had to pass up a bunch of other good stuff, but some of this was by request and I had to limit myself.
Can't wait to try some of these though.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 18, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

crazyfish posted:

I went to Argonaut which was kinda near downtown and spotted Supplication and Pliny there (about a year ago). Plenty of Odell too. It's comparable to a Binny's.
I was in Denver last week and dropped by Argonaut - they had Pliny, their website listed Supplication but I didn't see it on the shelf. Still had Sucaba as well. Mile High might be worth checking out too, I've never seen RR there, but they did have a fair bit of interesting stuff that I couldn't find at Argonaut. I've heard Total Beverage is worth looking at too, but we stayed downtownish for most of my trip.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

Sarcasm? I haven't found a tonn, but 2nd street brewery has amazing food and better-than-decent beer, along with live music.
I was wondering if that was sarcasm too. There's plenty of great beer available in the state. As for actual New Mexican breweries, I would definitely recommend La Cumbre, although I'm not sure if they have distribution into Los Alamos. They currently only distribute their IPA anyway. Marble tends to be fine, but their more interesting stuff doesn't make it to cans/bottles. Most of the others I can think of are fine, but certainly not exciting. There's a few genuinely bad breweries to watch out for though.

edit:

Midorka posted:

So how much did it cost for the two raviolis placed onto a platter by an art student? I'm sure it was good, but I'm not for paying for the presentation of something. I want something that is going to fill me up. Call me unsophisticated but I'll take a burger medium rare with some blue cheese and light bbq sauce over an expensive platter that's done in 2 bites.

I shotgun cantillon because I want something that'll get me drunk, and I'm not paying for presenation.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 15, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

What other New Mexican breweries are there? So far I have only encountered Santa Fe Brewing, Marble, and then the brew pubs at 2nd street and Blue Corn. I will try to find some La Cumbre
Uh, off-hand besides what was already mentioned and in no particular order: Chama River, Il Vicino, Tractor, Bosque, Kelly's, Sierra Blanca/Rio Grande, Turtle Mountain, Desert Abbey/Monastery of Christ in the Desert, High Desert, Mimbres Valley, Taos Mesa, Nexus, Broken Bottle and Bad rear end something something. A lot of these aren't really worth seeking out though. There are definitely more that I missed.

La Cumbre is by far my favourite, Marble, Il Vicino and Chama in some order after that. Bad rear end is terrible, Nexus has pretty good food and pretty not-good beer. Most of the others are just mediocre/average in my experience.

edit: I was trying to make a quick guide of good things that distribute here, but gently caress, that's more work than I'm up for right now.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 15, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Podima posted:

Brux was only brewed once, released July 2012, right? I ask because Little Bros happened to have a single solitary bottle on the shelf Sunday that I grabbed...
I don't remember the exact release date, but to my knowledge it was only brewed once.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I've never found seekabrew to be remotely accurate, and in a quick glance I just found like 25 errors in my state alone. JP included.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Send me some cool local beers and I'll send a BA Hunahpu's
If you're interested I could do a little mixed box of la cumbre and marble brewing for one. The stuff they can/bottle is a bit limited for now though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

edit

Hauki fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 28, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cracked the summer edition of St. Bretta tonight, and it's still pretty goddamn good. Probably my favourite Crooked Stave thing so far, although I haven't actually made it to their taproom yet, and I think I've only tried... Surette, Hop Savant & Vielle besides.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Shortbus posted:

Odell Celestrina Saison just landed on the shelf. It won't stay there long. Odell is purely incapable of making a bad beer. It's a completely different Saison than Tank 7, with a bit more sweetness, but it's every bit as good to drink.
?
It's been on the shelf here for like two months now. I haven't actually cracked one yet though. Also it's like twice the price as tank 7 for any sort of regular drinking.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Shortbus posted:

You're lucky. My beer guy emailed me when it came in. I'm guessing you're in CO. (KC here). I paid $14 vs $9 for a 750 or $11 for a 4 pack of Tank 7. I've paid a lot more for far worse beers.
Yeah, it's definitely a decent beer and I'm always a fan of variety. Not trying to poo poo on it or anything, I was just surprised it was still arriving elsewhere.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Eejit posted:

Just cracked a Funkwerks Solena and :stare: This is a really, really good beer. It's labeled simply as a Belgian-style Ale, but it has some Brett in there somewhere. It's strongly floral and grassy on the nose with a Serta MemoryFoam-style head. It has apple, caramel and grass notes on the taste with real solid Brett spiciness and no real apparent sourness and finishes dry and bitter. There's a bit of additional malt right up front and that candied apple note definitely stands out in the middle of the taste; honestly this really reminds me of my hike today and sitting by a lake at 11.5K ft while eating apple slices and smelling ~mountains~. The mouthfeel is very full bordering on somewhat creamy but it's not really heavy or chewy.

Just goddamn, it's incredibly drinkable and really flavorful. Basically, never not Funkwerks. Really excited to go to their brewery in two weeks with some friends.
Man, I passed over this at the store last week for other things. I guess now I'll have to go back. And yeah, we'll have to grab that pint at Crooked Stave at some point - I'm out of town for a bit now, but will be back in August.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kudosx posted:

Crooked Stave's taproom isn't open on Tuesday :(

I will probably end up hitting up Falling Rock, and maybe somewhere else if I'm feeling a little crazy. Are there any bottle shops that carry Russian River in Denver? I'd love to try some Blind Pig/random RR sours.

It's a bummer that I'm going to miss out on Crooked Stave, as both my friend and I absolutely love sours.

This sounds good to me! Let me know what your wife thinks, and if she's okay with it, I'd definitely be down to meet and grab a beer.
Yeah, I've seen RR at Argonaut, Mile High Wine & Spirits and uh... somewhere else. I don't have the best knowledge of bottle shops here yet though. You can also find Crooked Stave bottled at pretty much every decent liquor store. St. Bretta is certainly worth picking up in my opinion.

edit: somehow I missed like an entire page of replies, but I'll leave this here on the off-chance it's useful

edit edit: I went to Lukas the other week and was pretty disappointed in their selection compared to the others mentioned, but maybe I'm just getting jaded already. Argonaut & Mile High are the two I try to frequent, but I haven't been to Total or Mr. B's yet. Also I've noticed Marzyck's randomly has pretty good limited stuff lingering on the shelf at times, because no one shops there for beer.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 19, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I just found a gose at a brewery near me - how commonly available are they in the US?
Never seen one on tap here before and while this one was pretty good/interesting, I'd like to try more in that style. I remember seeing a couple on the shelf at some point, but I can't find them now. I think they were also like $30+ for a 750mL, which was a bit steep for a blind shot.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

air- posted:

It sounds like you can get it on tap and you should try a sample. Generally speaking, they're not very common. As for me, I would not throw that kind of money at any beer without having tried it first (with very few exceptions ie a loon or some whale).
Whoops, sorry if I wasn't clear, but yeah, I definitely had a few pints of it on tap already. Things I remember: it was pretty low abv, slightly tart, citrusy, cloudy, weird herbaceous thing going on. I pretty much loved it. That's what sparked my interest, I'm looking for other (good) examples of the style to compare it to.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

air- posted:

Where are you located? Leipziger's might be the most widely distributed. While the salt and spice on it was a little subdued, you still knew it was present. I'd heard a ton of good feedback about the Westbrook Gose (currently #1 for style on BA too). I recall Choc in OK did one that's basically a salty berliner :stare:
I live in Denver but traveling for work right now, won't be back for a few weeks yet. I've never seen Westbrook on the shelf here, but I do have family in Georgia & SC so maybe I can stick some in my suitcase next time I visit there.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sweet, I wish I'd know about this sooner.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Eejit posted:

... I personally think their reserve series and their fruited beers like St Bretta or the WWB line are where they particularly shine. Hopefully they can start getting more of that stuff in distribution.

For sure. Honestly I found Surette and Vielle kind of unexciting esp. after all the hype I had heard beforehand, but I should probably give both another try in all fairness. Every one of their limited releases I've tried owns though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Got to try Walker's Reserve on cask recently, plus Blind Pig, PtE, Stone's 17th and Sofie Paradisi on draft finally. They're all pretty good, as it turns out.
Feels good to be back in CO :radcat:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anything that I should make an effort to check out in downtown Chicago?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

air- posted:

Is anyone here a Crooked Stave Reserve Society member? gently caress I should have asked this a lot earlier. Didn't realize they could get tickets for the What The Funk fest...

e: btw, just throwing it out there - I will pay for your ticket + bring you beer from Texas if any Denver goons are willing to host! I'm planning on going up just for that night.
Ahah, welp, that sold out quickly.

edit: I mean, not surprised with only 600 tickets, but I thought I might have had a chance at it.
I'd be up for grabbing a consolation pint somewhere else in any case~

edit edit: VVV - hm. Need to check some things, but we do have a guest bedroom that might be available.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 3, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Anyone heard details on Crooked Stave's Zwanze event? Not sure I'll be able to make it anyway, but there's just complete radio silence about it as far as I can tell which seems weird. There's not even an official announcement of whether it's at their new or old location, other than one dude on BA saying he heard it's at the old barrel room.
Ugh, well, if anyone finds out, mind throwing a post up or something? I'm woefully out of the loop on local happenings right now.

On another note, who was the goon who was looking for a place to crash during CS's not-GABF? I should be able to swing that, don't have PMs but if you have an e-mail address I can reach you at, that would be great.

And whoever mentioned Narwhal, I was happily surprised to see it back again already, it's pretty great for the price (and abv). I need to just get a case or something, I can't keep it around for any length of time otherwise.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Went to the store to see if Velvet Merkin had shown up yet. No dice, but apparently Colorado gets Alesmith as of this week? All I know is I saw a 750 of Speedway Stout and snatched that poo poo up :getin:
gently caress, where?
Mile High said they had it on their newsfeed, but I showed up and the dude was like "nope, don't have any." Just the IPA, Wee Heavy and whatever else.

edit: "it" being Speedway.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Wilbur's Total Beverage in Fort Collins. There were only a couple Speedways left on the shelf, dunno if they had more out back but I'd call ahead if you're considering the trip. I live across the street so :v:

Edit: I did notice there was no 1 per customer limit which they usually do on hard to get beers.
Ah well, yeah, I fly out first thing Thursday morning for work, so the odds of me trekking out there just to buy beer are pretty slim. I might poke around a couple more places in Denver though I guess. Thanks for the tip anyways.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

air- posted:

More bottles of Atrial Rubicite have surfaced in Denver. If this beer was so limited, I don't get how there are cases going to multiple stores up there.
I just flew back today, mr b's again or somewhere else?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Besides La Fin du Monde, what are the best Unibroue offerings? I'm hoping that the nearby mega-liquor store will have a variety, from which I can pick and choose in one of those custom six-packs tomorrow night. Also feel free to recommend anything in general you think I'd like if I love La Fin du Monde. I live in Kansas, for the record, if you're wondering what's available here.
Don de Dieu might be my favourite of the usual suspects, and Maudite is pretty good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

air- posted:

Bomb is one of the biggest standouts of the year for me.(along with the JP Biere de Mars GR), it's like Prairie took the direction where Indra Kunindra was going then made it totally their own.

How late are they open? On that note, I don't know any late night places for food in downtown Denver. I sometimes forget this is a beer thread in a food forum- would love any suggestions!
How late is late? I think Euclid Hall's kitchen is open until like 1am and they have ok taps as well. We had some pretty unimpressive service there the last time we went though. Food is interesting and usually pretty decent.

fake edit: poutine is kind of the best latenight beerfood though.

I don't spend a ton of time downtown so I'm sure other people have better suggestions.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

from another group:

GABF makes us do crazy things. For example, this Friday from 3-6pm, you can come to Argonaut Wine & Liquor and buy a bottle of Momi Hiwa, Thensaurum, 2013 Rumpkin, and 2012 Mephistopheles'. Plus, you can chow down on brats made with The Reverend Belgian Quadrupel and get your bottles signed by Avery brewers...and by Adam Avery, who'll be stopping by from 4-5pm to sign his creations!
Wonder how much of a shitshow this will be with GABF crowds. I'm not working, so I guess I might try to drop in. I haven't had a chance to try Momi Hiwa & Thensaurum yet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Me in Reverse posted:

I need to buy Google Glass so I can write some kind of RateBeer/BeerAdvocate HUD that shows ratings when I look at a beer. So I don't spend an hour looking things up on my cell at the store.

~~Technology~~
Yes, I think this might make me feel more goony than just pretending to text while I look up a beer.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kudosx posted:

Yes they were, except for the classic gueuze. The classic we had a four year vertical, with two bottles of each year, 09-12.

Actually, to be honest... I didn't even get very drunk. I tried about 50-60 beers, but it was all 1-2oz pours for the most part, and the beers were all pretty low in alcohol. I also drank over a 9 hour period, so by the end of the night I wasn't as drunk as you might expect. There were definitely people there who were tanked, but they had been drinking a few hours longer than me, and were doing big pours of some of the higher gravity beers.

My entry fee was 8 pints of Jeni's splendid ice cream. There were literally people making beer floats with Cantillon. Cantillon Kriek with a cherry lambic sorbet was a big hit. I personally didn't try it, but I wasn't about to talk poo poo to people who brought 5+ bottles of Cantillon to share with everyone.

There was also people drinking out of our 'pour' bucket, where we poured all the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. :barf:
One of the guys serving at GABF (maybe uh... Kuhnhenn?) also mentioned someone previously trying to drink out of the rinse buckets.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

danbanana posted:

Drinking Le Terroir for the first time. Definitely my favorite of New Belgium's sours. Cheaper than most, too.
I remember the last one being like $8.99, I'm seeing the new one for $16.99. I might just be going to the wrong places though. It's pretty great in any case, but that much of a jump hurts.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Eejit posted:

Aw man, we're supposed to get full Victory distro in CO and I have yet to see Dirtwolf on shelves. I will have to check a few different locations.
Argonaut already had it and sold out by the time I stopped by, and I thought mile high or Lukas's posted it in their arrivals at some point but I haven't had the time to make a trip to either. I did pick up a couple tart of darkness plus some velvet merkin, boulevard's bb quad, bitches brew and a few big bad baptist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stopped in the liquor store down the street to pick up a six pack for a party, randomly found goose island's four sisters and a couple prairie singles chilling in some back corner. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I guess that'll do.