Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sirotan posted:

Well they aren't distributing beer though. Distributing beer would mean it's being shipped somewhere for resale. They are selling it directly to you. I'm sure they have licenses up the wazoo to be able to ship alcohol though.

Edit: I'm trying to find anything regarding direct-shipping of alcohol from out-of-state retailers to Illinois, and am just getting legislation relating to wine sales. So I'm going to say you should just look the other way in regards to legality and enjoy delicious beers.
I always knew my background in Constitutional Law would come in handy in the beer thread. Is is time for the Goon Beer thread to take an in-depth look at Granholm v. Heald? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

danbanana posted:

YES.

Anything that by-passes the distribution groups in Illinois seems less-than-legal to me, if only because of how politically-connected they are (and how politically corrupt the state is...). Example: Bell's fight against them a few years ago. It just seems odd that it would be okay for an out-of-state retailer to sell direct...

If it is legal for an in-state retailer to sell direct, then it is legal for an out-of-state retailer to sell direct. The reason why is because the Commerce Clause has an implied restriction called the "dormant commerce clause;" what this means is that Congress has the power to regulate Commerce, but the implication behind giving Congress the power to regulate commerce is that the individual States do NOT have the power to regulate interstate commerce; at least not in a "discriminatory" way. The most obvious example of this type of law would are simple protectionism laws: if California passed a law that imposed a low tax rate on California-produced widgets, and a higher tax rate on widgets produced from other states, it would violate the DCC and be automatically rendered invalid. In Granholm, the issue was direct shipments from wineries to consumers; Michigan had a law that in-state wineries could do so, but that out-of-state wineries could not. It's somewhat complicated why this actually applies to retailers shipping to consumers, but it does.

This would then seem to be relatively straightforward; however, it is not because the language in the 21st Amendment gives states very broad powers to regulate alcohol. This is what Michigan tried to argue in the Supreme Court in Granholm. They lost because the Court held that the 21st Amendment doesn't give states the power to violate the Dormant Commerce Clause absent some kind of specific authorization from Congress to do so (and of course, lobbyists for the Middlemen of America, i.e. the Distributors who literally do nothing other than get paid millions to be middlemen, immediately got some Congressmen to propose a bill to allow out of state discrimination :v:)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I have no idea if this is true, but I'm going to roll with it because it's hilarious. Get wrecked, Dirty Jerz.

This at least seems plausible given that Larry apparently makes Bell's distributed to Arizona despite it being like 8 states away from every other state they are distributed in because he wants to drink his own beer at Spring Training games :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

danbanana posted:

Huh. Interesting and confusing. If a state requires their distributors to be registered (as I believe Illinois does), and retailers to buy from distributors (per Three-Tier), that seems like there's a conflict with this court decision. That is, I can be a retailer in CA who buys from my local distributor and it's legal for me to ship to Illinois even though my distributor isn't registered with IL? I get the discriminatory issue, but how that court decision doesn't violate three-tier is beyond me... Or rather, how three-tier doesn't violate that decision.
It doesn't necessarily mean you don't have to get a out-of-state retail license. It just means they can't make out of state shipments illegal but make in-state shipments legal. If a state were to just say "shipment of alcohol is illegal," then it would just be illegal per se.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

I'm so glad to have discovered a package store about 20 minutes away, across the border into NY, that stocks Founders. I'm having an Imperial Stout right now and it's simply phenomenal. I fell in love with the color of the head before even starting to drink it. It's got a bold hop presence that reminds me of Storm King. The bittersweet chocolate hits you right up front, and then you get a bit of coffee and what I think may be hazelnut? The alcohol catches up with you but it's not hot in the taste.

Love me some Founders. Double Trouble is my next experience, I think.

I guess I'll add those to my list. We've actually got Founders in town for basically a single day, which is kind of neat, so I'm going to try what I can while it's here. Nothing particularly "rare," just the regular lineup plus KBS.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

To add to the discussion before on interstate shipping legality, if the Postmaster General gets his way and gets the USPS ban on shipping alcohol overturned, shipping beer from out of state could become a much bigger industry than it is right now. You can get stuff shipped from practically anywhere if you've got a site willing to ship, it's just that it costs double the cost of the beer in freight.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I went to the Founders's event in San Diego intended to get as many different beers as I could and not be shithoused, but I ended up just getting three glasses of KBS - - Was delicious, and I was suprised how well it worked given how much I have disliked other barrel aged stouts. I did get Double Trouble and Dirty Bastard yesterday and was a fan of both.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

I know it's sad but I didn't want to go to that thing by myself at what I figured would be a packed bar full of groups of people. I'm fine with going to a more relaxed place solo but totally pussed out on KBS for fear of feeling like a loner on what I'm sure was a very social evening.

I justified it by "choking down" some Pure Hoppiness at home and confirming what I thought I remembered about the one other time I had it...I really don't like it. I'm okay with many one-hop beers, or beers that tend to let one hop dominate the others, but it's such a cascade blast (which comes through frighteningly well) that it tastes like hop extract tea more than beer. I last had PH about a year ago, and my notes reference tasting artificial flavors and a harsh mint-like mouthfeel. At least my palate's remained consistent.
I'll grant you that not everyone can just go to Hamilton's at 3 pm on a Friday, but when I went there it was not crowded at all. In fact, I would say I felt a little awkward going to a bar at 3 pm and waiting outside 5 minutes before it opened when nobody else was doing that. It did fill up to a reasonable level pretty quick though, nothing nuts to butts or anything, at least not until after I left at 4 or so.

I would really like Hamiltons if they would a) remove the shuffleboard and pool tables and b) knock out the cafe next door. The problem is that the bar is always super crowded at night time to the point that there's barely anywhere to stand. It's even more annoying since I think the kitchen service at Hamilton's is a lot better than the Toronado, but you never actually get anything since you never have a table or spot at the bar.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

There's a shitton of breweries opening up, and they all aren't making good beer. There's only so much shelf space available out there as well. There will most likely come a point when a lot of these newly opened breweries will close because their beer is lovely, or they don't have the capital to expand like they need to or whatever.

3 years ago there were 3 craft breweries in Georgia. Right now there's 8 with two more I know of (supposedly) months from opening. There's still only 5 of those 8 with actual production facilities, the other 3 contract brew. Of the two (supposedly) about to open 1 will have a production facility and 1 will contract brew. I don't expect for all of these same breweries to still be around in 5 years.

I prefer to call it a shake out rather than a bubble bursting.

We have sixty breweries in San Diego County, but maybe 6 of them total are brewing anything that's not obscure, even within the County, and even then, a ton of them are just brewpub restaurants that don't actually distribute beer beyond their own premises. I think there's room for growth there, but we have super small breweries open and close all the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Edit: I should preface this by saying I love beer and don't want to be Debbie Downer. I just don't see the boundless optimism of "soon everyone will have an IPA in her hand!" as realistic.

On the bubble thing, at some point craft beer growth does have to plateau. Yeah, right now it only has five percent market share but I have difficulty imagining it approaching 50% or even 20%. Much as we hate to admit it, a lot of people (apparently 95%?) just don't want craft beer. The flavors are challenging, it costs more, it has more calories, "my granddad drank Bud and my dad drank Bud and I sure as poo poo drink BUD", whatever. And on top of that, the market is absurdly crowded. There's already probably more individual beers produced in Colorado than I could drink in a year if I had 1 per day, not to count out-of-state brews we get, and there are hundreds more breweries/brewpubs I can't get here at all. And that's just US craft beer.

I don't see the craft beer market collapsing, but I foresee growth tapering off. Dark Lord Day seems crowded, til you do the math on those 3000 people or whatever divided by the US drinking age population. And who knows, maybe in another 10 years beer will fall out of fashion and microdistilleries will be all the rage (this is already happening).

I've been to some pretty awful breweries that the locals still pack into, inexplicably. My local CooperSmiths brewpub, for example, brews some of the worst beer in town (we have like 10 breweries :v:). But I'll be damned if it isn't jam packed almost every night of the week. Part of it is that the restaurant side of the business is very good so people go there to eat and end up buying beer. But I still think that us beer geeks are a way smaller proportion of the population than we like to think. As I said above, most people just don't care what they're drinking as long as it's cold and goes down easy.

Had the same experience at The Dodging Duck brewpub outside San Antonio. Food was great, the restaurant had a nice location, and it was very busy on a weekday night. But holy poo poo, it was the worst beer I have ever had in my life. I've had basic extract-based, 2 gallon boil, no-temp-control homebrew that was 100x better.
I think that I actually like maybe 7 or 8 of the breweries we have in town, and then we have a lot of beer that doesn't have a lot of reason to exist. The one thing that bodes well is that demand for alcohol is relatively stable, so its not like the market is going to come crashing down.

As for distilleries, we have exactly one distillery in town: Ballast Point.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

toenut posted:

This annoys me so much when it happens. I ordered a Caldera IPA recently and it tasted like it was poured through a latex glove. I brought it back to the bar telling the waitress that something was wrong, as it tasted like latex. She replied, "You can just admit you don't like the beer".

This is one of the big problems with craft beer moving into places that don't give a poo poo. They just assume any taste faults (even when you know what an uncleaned line tastes like) are due to you only liking Bud.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

danbanana posted:

A few years ago, my local/favorite beer bar added a disclaimer on the bottom of their featured draft list stating that- basically- the above beers aren't bud light, so please ask for a taste if you aren't sure because they don't refund. But this is also a place that knows their poo poo even though it's essentially a family-friendly restaurant.
The only place we have in town that has a ton of crazy craft beer stuff, but the staff also doesn't give a poo poo is Slater's 50/50 (a burger joint). They have 110 taps, but the people in charge don't seem to have a clue. I generally stick to the well-known beer bars if I'm going to go out for craft beer goodness.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jack Skeleton posted:

Well, I'm jelly. I love the whole push now by breweries to distill their beer. Rogue may not be my favorite brewery, but their Dead Guy ale gin is really something else.

Ballast point has a couple of rums and gins as well. Really makes me want to become a moonshiner and make some interesting stuff with random beers and a still.

Ballast Point's spirits are made in a very traditional style though, and have essentially nothing to do with the beer side; i.e. it's not like it's a BP beer turned into a whiskey, it's something totally different. I was talking to the head brewer and it basically came down to the fact that he got all excited when he figured out he could legally do it. They have a bunch of barrels sitting around the brewery filled with a whiskey that they haven't released yet, and they put out a lot of gin and rum. They have a vodka now too. I've never had any of them because they are very expensive and they can't give you tasters of liquor at the brewery because that's way illegal. Also, I don't much care for non whiskey spirits.

Unrelated confession: I thought Three Philosophers was pretty foul. I finished it, but it wasn't necessarily easy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

A while back Stella Artois was giving away free custom engraved chalices, and I finally got mine:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/6RfKQ.jpg[timg]
I salute you, good sir :lol:. I wonder what the engraver was thinking as he had to put this into the software.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bartolimu posted:

So I don't give the wrong impression here, if I drink that much it's over a long evening of hanging out with other beer nerds - 8+ hours, generally. I'm not sitting at the bar pounding one RIS after another. Also those aren't pints, because serving RIS in pints only sounds like a good idea until you do it.

I once went to a bar that gave out Victory at Sea (10%) in pints for about 6 bucks. I'm not sure why I got a second one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

Every day is a good day for Sculpin.

I drank a sixer of that over the week and I gotta say, as much as I like Sculpin AND it's been quite hot, I'm not in the mood for IPAs at all right now. It seems like a progression I see a lot that people go through is wanting more and more hops, and then burning out on IPAs for a while.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

None that are polite! :D

e: for the new page, a wall paper of the best dopple bock that man hath wrought

This is the correct answer. I don't always drink doppelbock, but when I do, it's Celebrator.

wattershed posted:

I've timed my light/dark cycle for Memorial Day. Today I killed my growler of Societe's The Apprentice (I'll reiterate that it's outstanding), now working on some bottles of my own saison. When the pool's 87 degrees and it's 80 outside, that's IPA weather no matter how you slice it. Can't wait for the holiday weekend.
I've been really enjoying basic American Pale Ales that fall a bit short of the "IPA" designation.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

escape artist posted:

Wish I could find that Widmer Raspberry Stout. It sounds delectable.

I went to one of my crappier stores today, and got a 6-pack of Ruthless Rye by SN for $8.49. Surprisingly, it's quite good for what it is.

The biggest problem I have with Rye-IPAs is that Nelson is like so much better than all the other ones I've had. It's not even a contest.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

"Made by Dan Akroyd" seems like a really bad benchmark for any product.

I've honestly never understood the hullabaloo with expensive vodka. I once ran some 10 dollar vodka through a Brita filter like four times and then refilled up a Grey Goose bottle with it and nobody noticed. An intentionally flavorless beverage isn't usually something I'm looking to pay a lot of money for.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Speaking of random spirits+beer related stuff, I was talking to the instructor at a homebrewing workshop, who is also the head brewer at Ballast Point and he said they're doing "reverse barrel aging" now by taking a barrel that they aged an imperial stout in and then aging bourbon in it. That's going to be strange.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Phanatic posted:

If it's not aged in new charred oak they can't legally call it bourbon. Some other sort of whiskey, but not bourbon.
He might (read: probably didn't) not have have said it was bourbon specifically, but the conversation I had with him right before that was about BP's new bourbon (which definitely does meet the requirements for bourbon) so that's probably why I thought that. He probably just said whiskey.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

I think to be a "bourbon" it also must be aged in Kentucky for some amount of time. It'd be a bourbon by definition if it followed all the rules, but not technically a bourbon if it's not aged in Kentucky, from what I understand which is why Tennessee whiskeys aren't called bourbons despite being bourbons.

In beer talk, I had a Port Brewing Hop-15 and didn't enjoy it much, it was far too hoppy for me to like. The aroma was strong of turpentine and grapefruit with a mild citrus sweetness while the flavor was just an unbalanced hop mess.

Nope. "Tennessee Whiskey" is a made up term. Jack Daniel's actually qualifies as Bourbon, they just don't call it that for marketing purposes. It just has to be a 51% corn grain bill and aged in charred oak new barrels plus some other irrelevant barreling rules (i.e. what proof it has to be going in and out)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

I agree fully and call it a bourbon, but I don't think it's aged in Kentucky, which I read somewhere that is required to be considered a bourbon. Either way, any bourbon not made in Kentucky isn't worth my time anywhere. I say this with my bottle of Blantons, Woodford Reserve, Woodford Reserve Double Oake, Buffalo Trace, Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Bookers, PVW 15 year, and Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby 138 next to me. I love bourbon, but only consider bourbon to be from Kentucky.

Edit: Yes I'm kind of bragging about my bourbon stash, but at least it's relevant.
Erm, no. I just didn't bother to quote the Code of Federal Regs that defines it because I didn't actually expect that anyone would actually think I just made that up. Kentucky has nothing to do with it in terms of the definition.

27 CFR 5.22(1)(i) posted:

(1)(i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

I mean, you're free to not drink bourbon from wherever, but frankly that's a pretty ridiculous attitude, particularly given it seems pretty clear you don't even know what bourbon actually is nor does it seem likely from your comments you've ever seen a bourbon that wasn't from Kentucky anyways.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 22, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Midorka posted:

Anything classified as a bourbon by label is made in Kentucky so you can take your belittling comment, that my response had no reason for you to be a dick about, and frame it to make yourself feel good.

I'll wash down my night with a Troegenator and a glass of Woodford Reserve and call it a night. The general attitude in this thread is nothing but condescending remarks about who can dick wag with the most impressive beer and is far from friendly. Feel proud dudes that you've helped make this one of the most unapproachable threads I've seen on this site.
Um, actually that's demonstrably false and 100% wrong. Here's a list of a few bourbons not produced in Kentucky, taken directly from Wikipedia:

quote:

Bowman's — A. Smith Bowman Distillery (a Sazerac brand), Fredericksburg, Virginia (a microdistillery brand)
Hudson Baby Bourbon (a Tuthilltown Spirits brand)
Iowa Bourbon Whiskey - Cedar Ridge Distillery, Swisher, Iowa (a microdistillery brand)
Kings County Brooklyn Bourbon — Kings County Distillery, Brooklyn, New York (a microdistillery brand)
Cougar — Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana , Lawrenceburg, Indiana (a Foster's brand, export only, sold in Australia and New Zealand)
Virginia Gentleman — A. Smith Bowman Distillery, Fredericksburg, Virginia (a microdistillery brand)
Woodstone Creek Straight Bourbon — Woodstone Creek Distillery, Cincinnati, Ohio (a microdistillery brand)
Widow Jane Bourbon - Rosendale and Brooklyn, New York, est. 2011
McKenzie Bourbon - Finger Lakes Distilling, Burdett, New York (a microdistillery brand)

I have no clue why you're actually surprised that someone thinks the attitude, "I refuse to drink Bourbon that's not from Kentucky, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure bourbon doesn't exist outside Kentucky" is utterly absurd. Particularly given the fact that since you didn't believe bourbon existed outside Kentucky until just now, there's no way you've actually *had* any bourbon from outside Kentucky.

I have no idea what that second paragraph is even referencing so I'm not going to touch that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Firestone Walker Pale 31 is outstanding. Also if you have Trader Joes in your state, their Mission St Pale Ale is basically the exact same beer brewed for TJ's private label and far cheaper. Both win medals in beer competitions every year.

I've always heard Pale 31 is a blend of Mission St. and DBA. I can't seem to corroborate it beyond internet guys repeating that story though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

It's true, Matt the brewmaster said so himself during an interview on the Brewing Network. It's like ~10% DBA blended into Mission St.
Firestone Walker does a lot of unique stuff with blends and a lot of the beers they put out, e.g. most of the anniversary series beers, are blends of all sorts of the small batch beers you only see FW tap takeovers or at the brewery itself. I think Abacus was originally just a large component of XI or XII and was released after people asked them to put it in bottles also.

It's actually pretty cool if you can make it to one of those events and taste all the component beers that you don't normally see like Helldorado (which is what they calla "Blonde honey Barleywine')

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Corbet posted:

You must hate quads.

I tried once to figure out the Trappist naming convention and failed to find a definitive answer although I found a few.

I've seen sources that claimed that Dubbel and Tripels were "double/triple fermented," which makes no sense; I've heard that it was a rough analogy to the old British "X" = small beer, XX = normal strength beer, and XXX = strong beer naming convention; and I also read (and tend to believe) that it simply means it's the second style of beer the monks started selling and then the third style the monks started selling. Quadrupel seems to just be a genericised name (The Koningshoeven trappist monks do have a beer they call "Quadrupel") the beer community calls any Trappist-made or Trappist-style dark strong ale.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kosher man posted:

Please don't quote BJCP at me like it means anything. I judge a beer by what it taste like not what some people sat around and decided it should be. I drank loads of Dales out at CBC sitting with the guys from OB. It is no where near an IPA.
Not to mention the fact that the bitterness level + the alcohol content standing alone don't define a beer at all. My understanding is that that's not how BJCP works either - you can get marked off for not brewing to style, but that doesn't mean its no longer a beer in that category. It's not like they pull out a bitterness meter and check whether it exceeds the magic number either.

Also: I don't think Stone RIS tastes like raisins at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

This is from a beer reference book I've been reading recently and is according to Michael Jackson.

I don't think MJ's reference there necessarily that makes senss - what that is referring to is partigyle brewing, which doesn't make sense at all in that context since Abbey Dubbel and Trippel are completely different beers.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I would imagine the color of the runoff dilutes as the grains are "washed", like rinsing dark rice in a pan. The first rinse takes apparently takes most of the dark colored stuff.

Of course, I wouldn't count on modern brewers to adhere to that tradition. Lots of brewers just use concentrated sugary additive to achieve higher ABV because it's cheaper than the extra malt.
As rage-saq is saying, dubbel and triple aren't similar recipes nor are they particularly historical references; they were only introduced in the last 150 years or so. Tripel in fact is only about a century old style. Also, since Tripel is generally stronger than Dubbel and Dubbel is the stronger one and the dark one, it couldn't be just the result of partigyle brewing.

You're correct about the use of sugar, one element that gives Belgian beers their distinct character is the use of Belgian candi sugar in the brewing process.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 23, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

What are your folks' attitudes on adjunct brewing?

Was having a discussion about Churchkey pilsner and there was a remark made to the effect of "if I wanted adjunct beer, I'd drink a Pabst." Interesting because Churchkey is an all-malt craft beer. I implied there may be some expectation issues with their judgement of the style, and was informed by the same guy that Fort George 1811 is a preferred craft lager. Interesting because it IS an adjunct lager.

Seems like a silly thing to make a line in the sand for, to me. I've used rice as adjunct in a couple homebrews, and I definitely enjoy corn and non-corn beer, as long as it tastes like beer.

Many, many German breweries were basically cheating the Reinheitsgebot through various means even when it was on the books. What is actually in beer is totally irrelevant as long as it tastes good. The fact that you *can* cut costs by adding adjuncts doesn't mean anything about whether adjunct products are inherently bad in beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BerkerkLurk posted:

There really needs to be a better term since half of the Belgian beers I can think of have adjuncts and are nowhere near Pabst. Not making a value judgement, just an observation. Pabst owns. Give me a Pabst.

It's such a staple of the style that you rarely even hear about it with respect to Belgian ales.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

A friend's parents offered to ship me some Alpine beer, as they live near the brewery. What do they usually have in their shop that I could ask them to get for me?
Honestly? Like 5 different IPAs. The whole nothing-but-IPAs thing seems to be kind of fading in popularity, but Alpine's still plugging along making a ton of em. If you check their site, it only says they make an IPA and a DIPA regularly, but they're basically lying and they four or so at a time, although only three of those may be bottled; Alpine is probably my pick for best San Diego area brewery, but they really don't bottle a ton of their stuff.

Nelson is a Rye-PA which is easily my favorite one anywhere; they usually have that in bottles although its technically a seasonal, Pure Hoppiness is a Double IPA which is very good (although wattershed won't agree here). Duet is a very nice regular IPA which has a nice dry, pleasant finish to it. All three of those are probably worth a try, and if you can get a fresh bottle of Mandarin Nectar, its pretty drat rad as a hot day thirst quencher.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bartolimu posted:

Nelson and Exponential Hoppiness are both excellent. If you're willing to spend more, Chez Monieux is quite good and a nice foray into non-IBU territory. Some of their more unusual stuff is kind of cool as well. Willy Vanilly was a one-time purchase for me, but it's interesting. Mandarin Nectar is quite good, but Gouden Vallei would be my vote for the odd thing I liked best. It's hard to go wrong with Alpine.
I wish they would bottle Odin's Raven, which is a Imp. Stout they do. It was really good, but I had very little of it. I'm assuming you mean Pure Hop as opposed to Expo, since Expo is one-day only release.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

danbanana posted:

Or you can do what Goose Island did and get a multi-billion dollar company to back you and then open up an entire building for barrel-aging. I have heard their current setup is a sight to behold. And now they're expanding...

The problem with this kind of thing is that the moment craft beer stops expanding, either GI's prices are going to skyrocket or GI's quality will start slipping.

CalvinDooglas posted:

"Craft" is determined by the size/output AND ownership. The Brewer's Association requires independent ownership before they'll let you call yourself a Craft or Micro brewery. What Jim Koch said was true, though most of his audience was probably unaware of the distinction and took it to mean "mass produced" or cheaply made.
I honestly think like 50% of internet craft beer discussion is spent on putting labels on everything. Everything about this entire "debate" is equally as meaningless as the difference between Single IPA, Double IPA and Triple IPA. They don't mean a goddamn thing other than being intentionally nebulous signposts of what you're about to drink.

The stupidest part is that it doesn't matter if it's "craft-brewed" or not. If Miller changes Miller Lite's formula to taste like Pliny the Elder, I wouldn't be pissed off that Miller's making a ton of money, I would go buy a shitload of Miller Lite. The only thing that should matter is whether its good beer or not.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 24, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I have to say, I don't really much care for the concept that the buyer is required to buy a beer and not drink it for it to be any good. If I wanted to be snobby and keep poo poo in my house at some temperature that it never is in my house, I'd be in the goonwine thread. I'm particularly less inclined to buy into it knowing that a lot of the time, it's just a lot of solventy fusels that have to fade into the background or some other flavor that the brewer way overdid that they're waiting to fade as opposed to figuring out some way to get that character without overdoing and then convincing the buyers its better this way.

If that's going to be part of the process, the brewer should just bulk age it longer, really, not send it to the consumer while the beer isn't done.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

danbanana posted:

If you're going to have issues with "wait until XXXX to drink," then I hope you have the same issue with people saying that the Pliny I drank isn't ideal because it was more than 2 weeks old...

Personally, aging beer is something I like to do and I'm glad that breweries cater to my enjoyment. Doing verticals of things is one of those processes that makes beer drinking fascinating to me. Some breweries do bulk aging and some breweries will release "cellared" bottles on release days. But I don't think it should be entirely up to them as to when I have to drink their beer.

I've expressed that opinion several times actually. It's not designed to be cellared but it's not like Pliny becomes Miller Lite if you drink it 5 weeks after its bottled.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

FreelanceSocialist posted:

Well, if you don't want to age beer, then don't. How hard is that? And if you find you don't like a 2012 Barleywine from whoever and don't want to lay it down for a few months to see if it changes, then don't buy another bottle. So what? And really, there is nothing wrong with a brewery putting out a beer that improves with time. At this point you're all just :words: for the sake of showing how "anti-beer-geek" you are. Who gives a gently caress? Go enjoy beer.

If it really bothers you that much, just keep your eyes open for an opportunity to buy older bottles from a store's overstock. I just took home two sixes of Brooklyn's '07 Monster BW that was clearanced out. That poo poo was bottled five years ago and I can drink it tonight (and I am right now - at room temperature - and it is lovely).

Who are you even talking to?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

CalvinDooglas posted:

Most ageable beers are made to be excellent no matter when you drink them. It's not like I would turn my nose up at a fresh Ten Fidy or Storm King.

I think aging is a common enough practice that it's fair to market specifically to those people. Serious enthusiasts stash their beer anyway, so why not give them a special treat?
Well, I was mostly referring to the discussion on the previous page about about beers that say "don't drink until after X date," or just generally aren't good at all until you age them out. The fact that a beer gets a more pleasant or interesting flavor with age isn't something to complain about at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Paul Proteus posted:

Nitro is used instead of CO2 to carbonate the beer. It provides a smoother, different mouth feel from CO2. It's the same gas used in Guinness.
Its possible I've been misinformed, but I'm pretty sure Guinness is carbonated with CO2 like every other beer and the mouthfeel comes from pushing the beer to the glass at the tap using nitrogen, which causes some of the CO2 to be displaced by nitrogen. I don't think nitrogen by itself is soluble enough to carbonate the beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Paul Proteus posted:

You're right that there is some CO2 used to originally carbonate the beer, but Nitrogen is the vast majority. Kosher is also right, if you took a growler of nitro beer from a bar it would be flat before you got home.

They use a mix of N2 and CO2 (usually a 75% nitrogen to 25% CO2 mix) to carbonate it, but it's not like the N2 is really "carbonating" the beer. The actual concentration of N2 in a beer even using the typical 75/25 N2/CO2 gas is pretty low. The N2 just creates the neato head effect and the majority of carbonation is still CO2.