Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

LeeMajors posted:

It's almost Collette season!

Great Divide pulled out of central VA last spring, but this is the first time it's really gonna bother me.

had some Soft Dookie on tap this afternoon, i think that's my favorite Evil Twin beer (although i'd love to try the Taji Stout on tap). maybe not the most complex stout, but so rich, creamy, and chocolaty that it's hard not to love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Corbet posted:

Does anybody else get a "cat urine" smell when drinking certain sours? I'm being 100% serious.

something my girlfriend was drinking the other day smelled remarkably like cat piss, but i didn't say anything because she was enjoying it. can't remember what it was; i wasn't interested in drinking it, myself.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Docjowles posted:

FWIW I've had several Tallgrass beers and not enjoyed any of them.

Buffalo Sweat is okay, but none of the four i've tasted are anything i'd go out of the way for.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

James Bont posted:

So, what's the opinion on RJ Rocker beers? Never had it before, saw it for the first time at the liquor store the other day. Bought the Black Perle

if you're curious and it's the next thing you haven't tried, go for it, but the regular lineup is nothing special.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'd never had a Flying Dog beer before trying out Raging Bitch tonight...

i think that's considered their best, but not being an IPA guy, i can't say. Gonzo and Kujo are both pretty good (enough that i've almost bought $18 BA Gonzo Southside has), but all of their lighter-colored beers i've tried have a strange taste- house yeast strain?- that puts me off.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

Virginia has it now

northern Virginia.

was excited about trying Lancaster's Double Chocolate Milk Stout, a slightly-higher ABV version of the regular milk stout brewed with chocolate nibs, but really it just tasted like a non-nitro Young's, which isn't a good thing. bummer. well, at least i have a growler of Mephistopheles to console me (until it puts me right the gently caress to sleep).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I noticed that all the bottle shops in my vicinity carry Orval that was bottled in 2009-2010. Is this just lovely distribution/store policy, or does Orval typically sit on bottles for a couple years before shipping them?

regardless, there's no problem with Orval that's been sitting for a bit.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

okay, i'm in New Orleans now and the one shop i've visited has a ridiculous selection of Shelton Brothers beer. some things were no-brainers, but if anybody has suggestions, recommendations, etc, for the stuff i wasn't as sure about...

Vanberg & DeWulf Lambickx ($23)
Kriek De Ranke ($16)
Pannepot 2010 and 2011 ($7) (snagged a 2010, wasn't sure if that was an awesome
price and should therefore get more)
Fantome Chocolat, la Dalmatienne (light), de Noel, (between $14-17)
Danish brewer To Ol
Norway's Haand brewery

gently caress, there were a lot more- you know, what, i just thought to look and they actually have this poo poo on their website. help me, goons, because the dudes that work there have zero customer service skills. goons i trade with, tell me if there's anything you want.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Another huge sigh. He says, "You're really gonna have to get over that, man. All those other beers are for Bud drinkers.

I guess I met my first beer snob. Do I really have to get over it? Do I? Because hops taste like Pine Sol.

sounds like you met your first beer retard, you mean

Paul Proteus, i will check those out, thanks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If hops taste like Pine-Sol then you are either drinking lovely beers, or you have no real palate for hops. But there are a whole hell of a lot of fantastic beers that aren't hop-forward and honestly lots of really hop heavy beers aren't especially well made and rely on poo poo loads of hops to cover for a mediocre beer.

the issue is poor customer service, not dude's palate. people like what they like; the employee should have taken the time to say, "have you tried X? it uses this hop that tastes like Y" you don't educate customers by being a condescending jerk.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Traded a St. Arnold Endeavour for a Williamsburg Alewerks Bitter Valentine. Seemed fair to me to trade two dark horse IIPA's. Also picked up some Uinta Hop Notch IPA, which looks like it's pretty well rated.

Trying to hunt this Tilquin down at the moment. From what I understand they are a pretty new gueuze blender, so this is exciting. Anyone here had it?

who are you getting Williamsburg Alewerks from? if you love it, i have another bottle (and i think it was popular enough that they're gonna make more), not to mention whatever else they bottle. the Tilquin is good, especially for the price, and seems pretty readily-available on the east coast.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Did it face to face (I'm in the area right now). I know the guy works at the Total Wine in Chantilly, I don't remember his name at the moment.

Oh yeah, I'm still looking for more Southern Tier Choklat, and his store still had some so I'm definitely gonna pick those up.

i like their Coffeehouse Stout quite a bit, you should score some of those, too. their porter isn't bad, either, but the rest of their year-round stuff is nothing special. also, not sure if there's any up there yet, but grab some Hardywood Park if you see it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Podima posted:

So I just found out that my local liquor store a) keeps the good beer in the back to be asked after, and b) had two six-packs of Nugget Nectar left.

Hell yes.

Now I can trade one bottle of this for all the whales my heart could desire! No I will not actually do this.

i don't mean this as a criticism of you, but why are people going crazy over Nugget Nectar this year? i don't recall it being that special of a release the past couple years and it's always been fairly easy to find in VA.

talked to the actual beer dude at Stein Market and he made up for the lack of pleasantness from the rest of the crew, which kept me from buying all their Cantillon out of spite. turns out that The Avenue Pub is actually right around the corner, stoked about that, but it's one of those "nobody under 21" places that are apparently common in this neck of the woods, so that kinda sucks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

oh, i forgot- ordered a Nola Blond at some place in the French Quarter and it had loving ice in it. not cubes, the beer was actually partially-frozen- how does that happen on draft? also, despite being brewed in the city, it was listed as an import (along with locally-made Abita, Sam Adams, and a few other things); Bud Light was the "only" domestic. pffft.

VVVV really, that was aimed more at people in my neck of the woods, i should've qualified that.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 9, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Paul Proteus posted:

New Orleans, and the Quarter particularly, is not a beer friendly town. The pickings are typically slim. People don't care what they drink down there, as long as it gets them drunk so liquor is still king.

Nola is overall unremarkable but their Irish Channel stout is a fine example of a dry stout and the Hopitoulas IPA is pretty good. Flambeau Red is the best thing they make. Don't get the saison.

Why is the under 21 thing an issue, are you with some people who aren't?

yeah, i'm with my girlfriend and her 7 year-old, i haven't pulled a dick move and ditched them so i could have a beer. yet. we're visiting her daughter's friend, so i'm thinking i'll get a chance when the moms and kids are occupied.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sirotan posted:

People camping outside Founder's (from their Twitter):

People be crazy.

whoever dies with the most KBS wins!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Thanks for all the info guys, I just knew that beer store guy was full of poo poo. I don't really have anything against hops, I just really like malty, kind of sweet tastes like brown ale and dubbels. I mean, I really like them. MI get two I like, two I think I'll like, and two that scare me a bit. It is working so far! I just tried a Flemish sour that seemed weird but tasted like heaven.

The Dogfish Head IPA on the other hand....tasted like lemon dishwater. You guys either have different taste buds than me, or you're masochists.

The funny thing is, I had a bud light the other day and it just tasted like carbonated water. I used to enjoy it, like, 3 months ago. I used to think that people that called it watery were snobs. But now its happening to me.

yeah, i hate IPAs, but i like sours, lambics, saisons, and all kinds of other poo poo the typical BMC drinker wouldn't touch- what does that make me? you like what you like, man, and considering how much goddamn money i've spent in beer shops the last two days, i wish i liked cheaper poo poo.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Kudosx posted:

They dumped a batch of 120 minute in 2011 also, cause it didn't pass Q.A.

They've lost a lot of money dumping 120 minute!

whereas most people just lose about ten bucks

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

gently caress YOU TRAVELING JOB!

yeah, i missed my friend's annual Stout Day by being in New Orleans. not a big deal, except for multiple Dark Lords, Baller Stout (that he got for playing DLD), multiple Bourbon County variants, Hunahpu, Black Tuesday, and a ton of poo poo i can't determine from people's crummy pictures.... sigh.

my crack on DFH 120 was mostly just me beating people to the punch; i have no personal animosity towards the beer because it's not a style i enjoy anyway.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

so, checked out NO's Cork & Bottle and, while the shop itself is much nicer than Stein Market, the selection isn't half as good. felt kinda bad for the clueless clerk mispronouncing the gently caress out of a couple things i asked about, but it turns out "the beer guy (wasn't) in," and he was fairly nice, so whatever. the other highlight is the Avenue Pub, which is a legit beer nerd destination. the woman who runs (owns?) the place is super cool, and even on a fairly busy Saturday night the place was neither too crowded nor too rowdy. decent food, too, but unfortunately you might have to deal with some smokers (even when i smoked i preferred to go outside). whoever said to try the Nola Irish Channel Stout was right, poo poo was more than decent, but the Lazy Magnolia stuff i tried was pretty bland. the highlight for me was definitely Djaevlebryg Gudelos, which reminded me a bit of Mission's Dark Seas, but with a little bit of a fruit/spice flavor to it.

edit: i take part of that back- Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan is good enough that i might snag a six-pack.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 12, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

They have this here in SC, and the growlers are supremely overpriced. I'm talking 20$ for Ranger or Fat Tire.

My local bottle shops usually sling premium beer 14-20$, with local favorites 10-14$.

you ever make it over to the Greenville Beer Exchange? hoping to hit in on my way back to VA.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

How is Avery Mephistopheles Stout? There are a bunch of bottles from 2008 at my local beer store for $10.

really good- kind of boozy and sweet, but incredibly complex and drinkable. i find that bottles do better with a bit of age, so i would buy at least one and drink it now, then go back and load up if you like it.

LeeMajors, thanks.

Josh Wow, is Hop City in ATL worth going deep into the city, or will i be able to find the same poo poo in one of the Greens locations?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Founders Tap Takeover

yeah, a local spot is having one of these next Friday, complete with CBS, so i expect it will be one of their busier nights of the year.

thanks for the ATL-related advice, guys, but lunch coincided with Montgomery, AL, so we stopped at Vine and Filet, instead. not an amazing selection by beer geek standards, but apparently great by AL standards (although the singles case was pathetic). would've been stoked if i still needed FBS, because they had loving cases of it, but instead went with a tasty BLT. the girlfriend picked up some GD Hades, which wasn't bad, but had an odd sort of sweetness that kept me from loving it. good lord i use "but" way too much.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

where

oh, at the Vine and File- wait, you mean the Founders thing, huh? Capital Alehouse Innsbrook, which generally has the best selection of the three area locations

quote:

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:00pm until 9:00pm

Founders All Star Night!

We have all the coveted Founders beers for your enjoyment!
Trust us, this is not a night to be missed.

The All Star lineup is as follows:
Founders KBS
Founders Blushing Monk
Founders Backwoods Bastard
Founders Imperial Stout
Founders Double Trouble
Aaaand….
Founders CBS tasters!

Call ahead and make reservations while they are available!
These beers will go quickly so be here for your share!

i have not called about reservations, nor do i know how that works for a place that's tapping beer. now that i'm home and know my schedule, i plan on finding that information out.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

It's totally true that we have plenty of wannabees that don't produce anything of note, like Mission Brewery, which only exists so some guy can relive his fantasy of owning the old pre-prohibition Mission Brewery.

some of the Mission beers are pretty well-regarded; i certainly enjoy Dark Seas quite a bit.

the final stop of the trip was Greenville Beer Exchange, which we were supposed to hit on the way down, and goddamn is that a good shop. dunno if he's the manager or part-owner, but Zach, the younger guy running the place, really knew his poo poo, and after we talked for a few and he figured i wasn't a beer speculator (and we trashed one particular BA member who happens to come to his shop a lot), he pulled a bunch of awesome poo poo out of the back room for me. made his day when i swapped what is apparently a Europe-only bottle of Cantillon for the US version and gave him a bottle from VA that he'd never had before, so he gave me a t-shirt. doubt i'll wear it, but i appreciate the gesture and highly recommend checking the place out (their location in Charleston does online orders if that's not possible).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

Glad you liked it. I'm not sure if the two are owned by same guys or what, but they are an amazing group. Represent the T-shirt! Those guys deserve all the advertisement they can get. I send everyone there.

yeah, there's definitely a relation, but i don't know if they're cousin stores or straight-up owned by the same people/person. as for the shirt, i don't wear any logo apparel if possible (and i'm only a few steps from rocking Einstein's closet).

had my first Rodenbach last night, which was sold to me illegally by a bar, and it was good, but i was hoping for something a bit more sour. guess i need to track down the grand cru instead of the classic, huh?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

rage-saq posted:

I would say the Grand Cru is more sour and overall more intense flavor wise than the regular Rodenbach, which has gotten rather sweet.

yeah, it was fairly sweet. good, but i was expecting something more sour based on the conversation in the previous threads (which might actually have been about the grand cru).

re: Sorachi Ace, i don't get pot from that at all. like Midorka said, it's pretty overwhelmingly lemongrass to me. going back a bit, i have smelled a beer that was reminiscent of cat piss, and i've smelled pot plants that had a similar odor, and since pot and hops are related... yeah, i don't think that's an inaccurate descriptor, although it's certainly an unappealing one.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

job #2 is at a bookstore in an area heavily-populated by bars and nightclubs, so my "holiday experience" consisted mainly of watching drunk stumble down the sidewalk yelling and bumping into things. oh, and two bros who tried to steal the big wooden sign that hangs over our door at like 4pm. seriously.

my disappointing beer experience was Wasatch Polygamy Porter. the label says, "Why Have Just One!" but there is definitely an extra word in there ("just," or possibly "why"). good on them for going against the trend and making something dark and low-ABV (4%), but it has almost no flavor. not spit-take awful, but certainly one of the blandest, least-interesting beers i've tried. drank some year-old Chocolate Yeti and enjoyed that much more- the hops have obviously mellowed some, but i was surprised that it still had a bit of a spicy kick at the end.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

CalvinDooglas posted:

interview

i asked my friend who's big on the Maine beer scene if he had any tips and his response was "Nothing in particular. Despite the rave reviews and monkish Belgian appearance, the folks at Allagash seem to be pretty drat chill. I'd say just go in relaxed, and brush up a bit on Belgian styles and barrel aging before heading over."

in other words, what Ubik said.

the Coolship stuff is very limited, but yes, they bottle and sell it. sitting on a couple, myself!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I think I actually saw some canned Anderson Valley the other day for the first time. Little green cans.

yeah, i think that's their oatmeal stout, which is definitely worth a try.

i know most people here have a fairly low opinion of Southern Tier's 12oz offerings (and reviews are mixed for their 22oz stuff), but i'm pleasantly surprised by their 2xStout, which is a 7.5% milk stout. it's a little sweet, but nothing on the level of Creme Brulee, has a full-but-drinkable body, and has tons of chocolate that are balanced by a good bit of roast and a slightly bitter finish. quite good, but lovely loving lacing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

speaking of food and beer pairings, some of you might enjoy this article, even though they misspelled "crustacean."

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Kudosx posted:

I've still never drank a barleywine. Is there any barleywine that there is a consensus is good fresh?

I always hear people saying that X or Y barleywine isn't worth half a drat unless it has a year+ on it. I'd buy a bottle or two of barleywine and age them for a year, but I'm drat impatient, and I'd hate to buy something and wait around a year, only to not enjoy it.

I've heard that barleywines are quite a bit like wine, and I'm not the biggest fan of wine, so I've been rather hesitant.

naw, they're nothing like wine as far as taste goes- the wine part comes from their high ABV. generally, they're very malty, sweet, and boozy, and many west coast varieties are hoppy enough to almost be considered double IPAs (albeit maltier than usual). Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot leans a bit to the hoppy side, but it should be easy to find, not to mention inexpensive ($10-12 a six-pack). dunno what else might be around your area, but if you have a good bar around maybe you could get yourself a sample of one on draft.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Corbet posted:

Is Founders Nemesis worth tracking down via trade? Anybody know why they stopped making it?

i believe it was a copyright issue. i have two bottles of 09 Nemesis i picked up simply for trading if you're interested, but i honestly didn't care for it back when i tried it (my palate has expanded considerably since then; i didn't like any barleywine at that time).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

I just scooped a bomber of Saison Dupont. It was $10.99, I think the 4-pack was $17.99. Any tips on how to serve this? Looked on google, someone said ~55 degrees, I guess I'll throw it in the fridge but not for long.

honestly, i like that poo poo room temperature, but pouring it at "cellar temperature" and then allowing it to warm as you sip is, i think, standard practice. so, yeah, put it in the fridge for a few. also, as others have pointed out, Colette and Hennepin are very good and available in 12oz bottles if you're unsure about dropping $10 on an unknown quantity. my one experience with Helios was terrible- i think it was infected- but it's loving cheap, so not a huge loss if you don't love it. if you like the Dupont, find yourself a bottle of De Glazen Toren's D'Erpe-Mere.

edit- Munkaboo, i assume that you're aware, but just in case, check this out.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 24, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Tigren posted:

Woah, my bottle shop got some Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze in. I've never seen any of their stuff before, but always seen their name talked about. Is this is regular release that I only need to grab one bottle of for now?

unless it says "vintage" across the top of the label, it is the regular version and should not be too difficult to get.

anybody have an opinion on Cisco's Cherry Woods? it's a wild ale that i've never seen before, but the bottles i found are $19. also kind of interesting to see that La Folie isn't flying off the shelves as i expected; i think people around here got burned out on the average beers NB had been shipping us after all the initial hype and are unaware of what a great beer it is.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 24, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Gueze by definition can't have a vintage since it's a blend of at least two years (pretty sure three) vintages of lambics. Gueze is pretty limited by default because of this.

3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Vintage

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Then the term 'vintage' is completely and utterly meaningless as everything ever goes into final packaging once.

not to be a dick, but look up the meaning of "vintage"

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Yeah, and it's backing up my argument. From wiki, which matches any other site on the definition:

jesus loving christ, it just means the goddamn year it was bottled.

sorry for the retarded argument, everyone else.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Dark Lord Day attendees might be pleased to know that Argonauts, featuring Municipal Waste drummer Dave Witte, will be playing (along with Eyehategod!). say what's up to Dave, he's a really nice, approachable guy (and then give him some awesome beer to bring back to VA).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vertigo posted:

So, my local bottle shop is getting 1 case of each of the Cigar City/Bruery Dos Costas beers(3 varieties I think), ... are these worth tracking down?

Edit : This is the message she sent me.

don't sleep on the Lunch, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I am so glad that saisons are fashionable these days. I've been drinking hell of Hennepin these last couple weeks and I'll probably pick up a six-pack of Colette tonight on the way home.

I can see why farm laborers drank this stuff. The flavor improves when it's warm out and you're actually thirsty.

Question: What's a good beer for getting a strong yeast flavor? Specifically something I can think of for textbook yeast character.

uh, yeah, what Docjowles said- unfiltered Belgian and German beers tend to have the most pronounced yeast flavors. if you see a lot of Mikkeller in your area, he made a yeast series that you might want to check out.

ShaneB, that loving blows- what adult thinks that it's okay to do that? i mean, snagging a single beer out of the six-pack in the fridge is one thing, but a bunch of poo poo that's obviously been set aside for a reason, not to mention a poo poo ton of high-ABV stuff.... oh, and if you have friends that work in breweries, shouldn't you know better?