Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The Dregs posted:

No it's a screw top, but it only has like one thread. Too bad I bought three of the drat things.

Are you capping them up yourself? It sounds like they are being either under tightened or over tightened, though if it's the latter you might need to buy new caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Brooklyn and Schneider did one of the "each brew the same beer differently" Hopfen Weisse colabo that was pretty damned good.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Even apart from Rogue being dicks, Deadguy sucks rear end.

Also it's crazy to me how few goons drink Belgians from Belgium.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

TenaciousTomato posted:

Start with St. Bernardus and Chimay, then go to Westmalle/Tripel Karmeliet/La Chouffe, also Gulden Draak, Duvel, and Orval

at least these :stare:

That's a great list to start with.

Note that Bernardus makes a handful of great beers, Chimay makes three; Rochefort makes two A'Choffe makes three or four.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I don't know how hard it is to find, but if anyone sees St Bernardus Wit, they should buy it and drink it, because it is one of the best wit beers brewed.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Midorka posted:

It's easy to get here, $7.99 for a 750ml, but I fear the bottle is pretty drat old. I'm assuming it'll still taste decent though as there's no huge hop profile to go missing?

Wit beer is probably best fresh, but it's a bottle conditioned beer with only a tiny amount of hops added for preservative effects, so it's not like it will be stale or skunked or anything. $8 for a 750 of something you could drink liters of winds up feeling kind of steep, but I'd recommend picking up a bottle just because it's plum wonderful.

If you want other Belgians: anything from DuPont or anything from DeDolle, ever.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RiggenBlaque posted:

Yeah, I thought I was being crazy, but those Stone bombers aren't very expensive. I saw their smoked porter for $4.50 today and Ruination was $6.50. That being said, I still don't buy any of their beers just because I've never really had anything from them I thought was worth buying twice.

I'm a pretentious beer geek, I hate the label and am not a fan of the name, but Arrogant Bastard is a well made, tasty beer that I would put among, if not at the top of Stone's offerings, personally. It's not necessarily a beer that lifts up your eyebrows and makes you say wow, but it is a tasty beer for any occasion.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

wattershed posted:

Not to slap on my beer snob hat here, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a really good six pack for $10. Even a decent one, for that matter.

Left Hand Milk Stout is $10 for a six. So are the vast majority of beers from Troegs and Victory. Sierra Nevada Pale is like $16 for a dozen, I think Torpedo and Celebration are about $10 a six too.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

danbanana posted:

pricier beer is usually that way for a reason: smaller batches, limited release, more costly production methods. that makes them incomparable because, y'know, they're different.

If we're all honest, this only accounts for the beer being more expensive some of the time. The rest of the time it's just because they know you'll pay more.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Like I said before: I like Arrogant Bastard. I didn't say before: I hardly ever buy it. The reason is because it only comes in 22oz bottles, not in six packs.

Now, my wife is every as nerdy about beer as I am, so for us a six pack is basically three servings, a 750 or 22oz is one serving each. For huge beers, or special beers, splitting a big bottle is fine and sometimes even preferable to drinking it alone. But for something like Arrogant Bastard, we wind up paying $6 to each get a little less than one normal bottle of good-but-basically-normal beer. That's just a flat out lovely deal compared to $9-10 for three beers each.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm drinking a Southampton Biere de Garde, my first experience with the style. Is this a pretty good representation of the style? I like it, but its not at all what I expected - something about the name made me think it would be much more similar to a saison.

As compared to a saison, it should be a bit darker, sweeter, stronger and less hoppy, though not very dark or very sweet or very strong. Copper-ish color, up to maybe 7%ish, sweet more like a marzen than a Vienna.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

danbanana posted:

i completely disagree. smaller batch runs means more production cost per ounce. then add non-standard ingredients, non-standard brewing techniques, and secondary processes. this is why some beers are more expensive. it's simple manufacturing economics. while i admit that profit gouging certainly occurs, it's not the sole reason why everything a brewery makes isn't $10 a sixer.

When a brewery makes a "special" version of a beer, the price difference is completely unrelated to the expense increase in producing it. What the market will bear is by far the determining factor in the price you pay for beer made in the USA. There are a few exceptions, but not many. Chocolate Yeti doesn't cost 30% more to make, for example, and you're an idiot if you think it does. Belgian Yeti is literally the exact same everything, but they pitch a different yeast into the fermenting tank. The difference in cost to them is negligible, and any difference in the price you pay is profit for the brewery.

It's Ok that the brewery charges more money and makes a profit or extra profit. They need to eat too and obviously people are willing to pay the prices, myself included. But barley, yeast and water are dirt cheap, and hops and any other normal additives aren't really expensive either. Beer is just plain a cheap thing to make, unless you start storing whole production runs of it for a while.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Phanatic posted:

About the last thing Pierre Celis ever did was to work for St. Bernardus to develop their whitebeer. It's basically what Hoegaarden used to be before Inbev screwed it up, and basically what Celis White was before Miller screwed it up: Really, really loving good.

That's really cool, I never knew that, thanks.

I know I brought it up, but all this Bernardus Wit talk is killing me, the nearest place that I've ever seen it is like an hour away.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kudosx posted:

The only places I know to get any Bernardus around me only carries Abt 12. If any OH goons have any suggestions as to where I might be able to find St. B's Tripel, and Witbier... I would really love to know, and would greatly appreciate it!

The Dubble is really good, too, but it is understandably overshadowed by the others.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

TenaciousTomato posted:

I would much prefer Hoegaarden to 312 Wheat. Was not a big fan at all.

I love Weiss and wit beers, but I've never cared for any American wheat I've had. Anyone else feel this way?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

mysterious frankie posted:

Not even Gumballhead?

I guess I can see where preferences come from. American wheats always seem a little thinner and more astringent than their European counterparts I guess? Is that where the dislike comes from or am I way off?

Never had a single 3F.

I think you're on to something, definitely thinner. I never thought of more astringent, but it makes sense once you say it.

And for the record I didn't mean so much wheat beers made in America as the style "American wheat." Like the now discontinued Sierra Nevada Wheat, those kinds of beers.

Alagash White is pretty great.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

mysterious frankie posted:

I dunno if Gumballhead would start your love affair with American wheats then... it's great, but revels in everything you don't like about the style. I'd say try it if someone offers one, just to see if I'm wrong, but don't go on any epic journeys to seek it out.

EDIT: Also, Allagash can almost do no wrong.

My parents live in northern Indiana, so I'm hoping I'll get to try a bunch of 3F when I go visit them without any particularly painful stakes if I don't like something.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Paul Proteus posted:

That said, yea, I don't want any barrel aged beer for a while. Having so many different kinds of those beers both burns you out as well as shows how 1 dimensional many are.

I hate that. So many beers that have Crazy poo poo wind up not actually having anything going on except for that one gimmick, whatever that one gimmick is. Barrel aging can make for a fantastic beer, but if you just dump some generic beer into a barrel, you're going to get generic beer out the other end, just bourbon flavored.

Really, I'm pretty wary of anything people call a something "bomb" for this exact reason.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

danbanana posted:

Then isn't your argument with generic beer, not the barrel-aged process? I get that there's a backlash to breweries just throwing out barrel-aged beers as their "high end" brews or whatever, but I find it strange to toss the entire process out as a "gimmick." It's no different than someone sick of the "Belgian gimmick." Just because some breweries can't do it right doesn't mean the issue is with the process and/or style.

Goose Island (which pretty much invented the style in the U.S.) and Firestone Walker (which began as an offshoot of a winery) are two breweries which I will always go out of my way to get their BA beers because they actually do it well, consistently.

Sorry, I wasn't clear at all.

Yes, my entire argument is with making bland beer and then doing some [thing] to it so that you can call it [thing] Beer, and hope people can't taste beyond the overwhelming amount of whatever to tell that the actual beer is bland at best. That's what I meant by "gimmick." I don't mean that barrel aging (or poo poo loads of hops, or using an unusual yeast, or whatever the [thing] is) is inherently a gimmick. When it's used well it can be wonderful. But when it is used as nothing more than a gimmick, that just sucks.

Barrel aging is not, itself, the problem, but it has become quite a common way for people to gimmick up their bland or lovely beers. And, frankly, lovely craft brewers who make gimmicky beers are more of a beer problem, in my eyes, than the giant breweries that make shitloads of generic nothing in fancy cans that change color or bottles with stupid necks.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kudosx posted:

Both Trappist Rochefort 10, and St. Bernardus Abt. 12 come in bottles smaller than 12 oz (I don't remember exactly how big they are, I wanna say 10.8 oz or something). They're both very highly rated quads, and I think they're worth checking out! I tried Rochefort 10 recently and it was absolutely phenomenal.

Euro six packs are 33cl (330ml) which is 11.3 fl oz.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

danbanana posted:

Well, 2 of the 5 were women. And we all know how THEY drink...

And, yes, that's because you live in Michigan.

You're probably joking, but stuff like that makes it really hard for people like my wife to feel like a part of the beer nerd in group, even though she is a bigger beer nerd than lots of people.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

danbanana posted:

YES.

Anything that by-passes the distribution groups in Illinois seems less-than-legal to me, if only because of how politically-connected they are (and how politically corrupt the state is...). Example: Bell's fight against them a few years ago. It just seems odd that it would be okay for an out-of-state retailer to sell direct...

Bell's isn't in NJ because Larry Bell hates NJ, right? Or am I thinking of another brewery?

Two Hearted is so god damned good, and so are Kalamazoo and Expedition stouts.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Midorka posted:

Edit: I think I'm going to find that beer called Yeastie Boys or something I saw in the store once in memory of MCA.

Holy poo poo MCA died.

gently caress.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Kellerweise is great, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Troegs Mad Elf: Ehhh, I wasn't too sold on this. An interesting pour, but the level of syrupy-sweetness and some odd tastes (almost brett-like at times?) made me glad I only tried a sip from a friend.

Yeah, it's a weird beer. It really takes more than a sip or two for your palate to adjust to what all is going on in there and start to fully appreciate it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Turtlepants posted:

Hi guys,

I just finished working on a webseries about craft beer that I think would be interesting to my fellow beer guzzling Goons. It's called "Crafty". Each episode will take you to a brewpub, microbrewery, or beer festival to learn more about what makes craft beer the greatest thing in the known universe.

Millions of Americans are suffering from the plague that is macrobrewed light beer, and our goal with Crafty is to raise awareness about high-quality craft beer.

Here's our promo video: http://youtu.be/WluDVKebplw

Here's episode 1 at Stone Brewing Co.: http://youtu.be/ywliujkn7zQ

Yaaay a plug about getting drunk off your rear end on high abv craft beer in under a minute!

e: since I'm at the top of the page, I'll say: I don't see how getting so drunk you can't see the TV is compatible with "drinking beer like an adult."

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Turtlepants posted:

Nothing in my post states or implies getting drunk on high ABV beer.

The tall one says literally that at 55s into the video. And then again at the end, with a stupid drink responsibly joke.

e: and I know what you meant, but drinking until you can't see is drinking like a frat boy no matter what the beverage is. You can drink just as irresponsibly with good beer or single malt scotch or whatever as you can with natty and hard lemonade.

e2: so, from "I never said that" to "I did say that twice but it doesn't matter"

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 8, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Even though I grew up an hour and change from Chicago, I had my first ever Goose Island today, Sofie.

After I drank some of it, I looked it up on RateBeer, and to be honest it really seems more like a fruited triple to me than like a saison.

Either way, it was a tasty beer, and I'm glad that Goose Island is finally available so far away.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Belgian Yeti is good, but I like Alagash Black and Hercule Stout both better, to be honest.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

wattershed posted:

As we worry about long-term viability of the red washers on swingtop growlers, this shouldn't be a concern here.

Why are you worried about the red washers wearing out? They cost like 80c to replace.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mahoning posted:

Any thoughts on this trio of Southern Tier stouts? Creme Broule, Mokah, and Jahva?

None that are polite! :D

e: for the new page, a wall paper of the best dopple bock that man hath wrought

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 19, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

wattershed posted:

I've found the Belgian quads, on the whole, tend to taste like what an imperial brown ale with an infusion of dark fruits would taste like.

Honestly having a hard time wrapping my brain around this sentence.

Drinking a 3 year old Koningshoeven Quad atm. It's lovely.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

wattershed posted:

I really don't know how else to describe it without saying "it's like a BSDA but with darker fruit qualities." Well, no poo poo it's like that, they're very similar in profile. I was trying to relate it to something outside the Belgian realm. Just...use your imagination :)

Also, speaking of Koningshoeven, have you or anyone else had the barrel-aged version of their quad? It's always so expensive, I have trouble pulling the trigger on it but I can't see it being anything less than awesome.

Nah, I hear you.

I've never seen a barrel aged version, but if I did I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

gfarrell80 posted:

After a life-long quest, I think I've come to determine that, for me, Ayinger makes the best beer. Good god it is so good. mmmm. Having one right now. Their doppelbock, dunkel, and weissbier are all pretty much liquid awesome in my mouth. drat those crafty Germans.

Ayinger is one of the very best, imo. Have some Ayinger wallpapers!

They did an entire 12 month calendar like this, but these are my favorite ones.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

deadwing posted:

It's a fancy way of saying "bottle conditioned".

It comes from the wine terminology. Champagne, for example, is aged on the lees, and then the lees are removed through the Methode de Champagne, leaving clear, bubbly wine.

Green Flash Rayon Vert tonight. Why didn't anyone tell me this was Orval-ish? This is loving great.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

bartolimu posted:

:eng101: Méthode Champenoise. Méthode traditionnelle if applied outside the Champagne region.

Cheers. My French phonetics is (obviously) atrocious and I was too busy enjoying my Hop Head Red to wiki it :v:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
It looks like we have a pretty big move on the horizon, so I emptied out our "cellar" into the fridge today. Some highlights:
Avery Reverend 2010
Weyerbacher Quad 2010
Unibroue Trois Pistoles 2010ish
De Dolle Oerbier Reserva 2008
Brooklyn Monster 2010
Brooklyn Black Ops 2010
SN Bigfoot 2010
Dieu du Ciel whatever their quad is 2010ish
Duval 2010 - not 100% sure why I was aging Duval, but whatever
Rochefort 10 2010 - also some recent bottles in the fridge, might do a side by side
Mahler quad 2010 - I don't remember is this is the Méthode Champenoise one (which they actually send to that region to have done) or the regular one, but honestly I think they taste the exact same.
d' Gaverhopke Den Twalf 2010 - known in USA as Extra, this is one of the best quads I've had
Ommegang Three Philosophers 2008 - from their now-defunct Cave Aging project
Pannepot Reserve 2008
Allagash Coolship 2010 - Allagash didn't date these, but IIRC I bought it in 2010
Rodenboch Vin de Cereal 2004 - they stopped making this beer I think in 2009 or so, it comes in a wood box
Cantillon Iris 2007
Cantillon Bruscella Grand Cru 2008

Obviously we went on a big quad collecting and storing binge a while back. The Mikkeller Monk's Brew c. 2010 was already in the fridge and the Bernardus and Westvleteren we already drank.

I'll post some photos of the Rodenbach in its little box later.

e: found some Boon Marriage Parfait 2008 and a De Prouf quad from 2010ish too

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 5, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Rayon Vert is another great Belgian IPA. Chouffe Houblon is another one that tends to be very well respected.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Boon Marriage Parfait Kreik 2008 earlier, now Founders KBS 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

funkybottoms posted:

you should get married more often, dude; the only beer at the last wedding i attended was Blue Moon and Killian's.

The last wedding I went to had at least two mid-shelf options for any kind of liquor and 5 kinds of wine, but your beer options were Bud Light or gently caress off.

The upside was that it was an open bar, so it was Scotch all the way.