Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Angry Grimace posted:

Younger isn't even comparable to how good Elder is. Younger just rides the coattails of Elder, to be honest. Elder is the best beer in its category in my opinion. Younger is not, although technically Younger is the same BJCP category as Elder is. Its incomprehensible to me that BA dorks actually put Younger as the best beer overall.

Agree with this 100%. I enjoyed the PTY event I made it to and it's fun to say that I did the thing, but if they were next to each other on a shelf for the same price, I would buy the Elder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Angry Grimace posted:

The interesting thing about this is that because Abt. 12 is ubiquitous, most people probably don't age it to find out if it ages just as well.

Bernardus ages very well.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Midorka posted:

Edit: Oh god Mad Elf. I'm sick of hearing about it. I get 4 people into my shop a day looking for it. I decided to bring my 6 pack in to sit behind the counter to antagonize, "Oh, that's mine I already paid for it, it's coming home with me tonight." At least I get to laugh in my head as I get annoyed by the loving Mad Elf stampedes. I wouldn't even be that pissed if they were interested in other beers, but they look around, ask for Mad Elf, get pissed when we say we don't have it, then storm out.

So, let's imagine I live in NJ (I don't anymore) and want some Mad Elf (I really do.) I'm a big craft beer drinker, so I know everyplace in my area that has at least some craft beer. I only go to my favorite two places in any given month, but I know where stuff might pop up. If I can't find Mad Elf at my normal shops (which I honestly can't picture, it's always everywhere, but I actually did this with Nugget Nectar more than once) I'll go to the other possible places, and see if they have it. If they do, hey presto, a sale. If they don't, why would I buy some other beer that isn't what I'm looking for? I'm not some deranged alchie looking for any beer I can slam into my gullet, and honestly I have a pretty clear picture of what gets distributed in the state. And, honestly, the odds that you have something that one of my other shops doesn't are pretty slim. So when you don't have what I want, I gently caress off looking for someplace that does.

I mean, this makes as much sense as running a hardware store and not having any of the hot new flat head screws and then being mad that people don't just buy some of the great nails you have.

e:

Midorka posted:

Edit: and yes I'm okay if the thread hates me for what I did.

I honestly don't think you were very popular before that story, either.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

So tell us, what SHOULD we be buying and talking about? Fat Tire? Bud Select?

The beers that his store stocks that he deigns worthy purchases when the hoi polloi stumble before his visage, burdened with them. Anything else riles up his feelings of inadequacy.

I'm legit curious which beer shop he works in, but I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to say.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mikey Purp posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on kegerators?

I know that it's relatively easy to build your own, but I'd prefer to get a prefab one. Also, dual tap and sanke would be nice.

I had a beautiful one I had to leave with family when we moved. I could probably work something out to have them send it to you. PM me if you're interested.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

ShaneB posted:

This is overly negative, but the glasses that come in the Westy brick are cheap throwaway pieces of crap, IMO. I'm disappointed.

I mentioned before, but I'm pretty surprised that they didn't just use the normal Westvleteren glasses.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Captain Shortbus posted:

drat. Now I want a keg of root beer.

Just a heads up to anyone and everyone, soda drinks require a whole lot more pressure than beer, in the keg, to stay in suspension, which is obviously no problem for the keg, but it also means that you need high pressure serving lines, which you definitely don't have accidentally. They're the ones with the white reenforcing crosshatches all over them. Without those your hose will fly off your connection and empty your keg of sugar water with great force all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I was in the mood for a stout for a while, and eventually I said to hell with it and bought some Guinness. Turns out I got the version that has a 97 on RateBeer, and it's actually pretty damned good. So that was a great surprise.