Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Drinking a HopDevil and man sometimes it's nice to just drink a "standard" beer. This is a great IPA that's easily available, though I do get a slight onion taste out of it like I did from Double Trouble. Either way it's nice to have this on tap at almost any bar in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
People like different things than others? That beer contest wasn't meant to be seen as an end-all be-all list for IPAs? My world is upside down now!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Your link was fine, I found it interesting. I was mostly directing it at people attacking it as if it were an end-all authority. It's nothing more than opinion.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You do realize stating your opinion as a fact makes you look like an elitist jerk don't you? If you don't like being called out on it, don't be a complete elitist jerk next time. It seems you're smart enough to accept that people can have differing opinions, how about acting like it.

4 HopDevils in and I'm still enjoying them, which is rare for me. I'm glad that Victory is close enough to ensure that all of the beer here is fresh, thanks to various reasons.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

It's solid, I don't think I'd drink it that often if it weren't "local" though. HopDevil is usually the best beer at typical bars around here so you get used to it really quick. It's rather popular because of that and people tend to buy it up in stores ensuring it's fresh which is nice. The 6 pack I got from my shop is best before May 22, which is still decently fresh and our turnover rate is low compared to most stores.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Incoming poo poo-storm post:

I drain poured a 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek last night. I just did not like it at all. I drank 4 ounces and it was just far too sour, it reminded me of the type of sour from those candies "Atomic Warheads". The problem is there was no sweetness in here to balance it and I'm just not a fan of super sour stuff. After that I moved onto an Anchorage Whiteout which I was a bit disappointed with, it just didn't mesh well with me but I finished it anyway. Moved on to a Mikkeller Beer Hop Breakfast and this was another disappointment, right away I smelled nothing but coffee and fresh marijuana, very earthy and leafy. The taste matched and I just couldn't get over it. I finished the night with a fresh World Wide Stout bottled in 2012, which again I was disappointed with. World Wide Stout definitely needs a year on it.

I know people are going to bitch about the drain pouring of the 3 Fonteinen so go for it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Yeah I was drinking it by myself and realized I was not going to be able to finish it. $40 down the drain, literally. It was just not for me and I wasn't going to struggle with it. I don't like super sour beers and was unaware this was one.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

BoredByThis posted:

Before I sink that kind of cash into a bottle of beer I make drat sure I know what I'm buying. I'm no skinflint, but if I'm spending $40 for a bottle it better blow my drat mind.

It's a world class beer of a style I've been meaning to try. It's blown other people's minds apparently, but not mine. There's no way of possibly knowing whether I'm going to like it unless I try it.

ShaneB posted:

I've only heard amazing things about this beer. I can't wait to try it.

It has a really strong malt base that I don't find in many other IIPAs, it's sweet and sticky. I really enjoyed it.

CalvinDooglas posted:

$40 wtf?? If I paid that much for a beer I'd make sure every drat drop of it went in my mouth, tasty or not.

I don't know if drainpouring a $40 beer is a Beer Snob Fail or a new level of Beer Snobbery: rather than sucking it up and convincing yourself that the beer was awesome, like a normal beer snob would, you just said "nope, this $40 beer isn't doing it for me".

So I should have convinced myself to drink something I didn't enjoy because of the price tag? I'm a beer snob because I didn't enjoy an expensive beer? I'm trying hard to understand your logic and it's just not happening.

bananasinpajamas posted:

Back in the day I probably would've drank it no matter what, but if he can't drink it at all, what's the point? It's a waste of money no matter what, why punish yourself further

Exactly this, it's not strong enough in alcohol to even get me drunk so there's no point drinking something I didn't enjoy.

Angry Grimace posted:

Because it's just being a wasteful little brat to pour out $40 of anything because it "doesn't taste good enough."

Okay.

wattershed posted:

He didn't say it 'doesn't taste good enough,' he said he didn't like the taste of it. If I popped a beer that tasted like fish and burnt tires, I wouldn't slam it, even if it cost $40.

The debatable thing here is paying $40 for a bottle of beer, let's be fair here.

Thank you for understanding the English language enough to understand why I didn't drink it. Now spending $40 on a 750ml of beer is a bit expensive, but I consider lambics and other fruit beers more akin to wine and $40 for a bottle of wine is not expensive when all things are considered.

Anyway, I can't wait to get into my second Maharaja, I absolutely loved it the first time so I can't wait to re-visit it. Also has anyone had Lagunitas Red? Thoughts?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Manky posted:

Fuckin' delicious. As is Wilco Tango Foxtrot.

Are the bottles out the new release or no (for WTF)? I had one from last year recently and was a bit disappointed.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

What the heck, Dogfish Head's Tweason Ale has nutritional facts on the side? Well here goes 170 calories.

Edit: Oh god the aroma is pretty drat sweet, but in an unappealing odd way, it reminds me of some artificial strawberry syrup. It reminds me of a wine cooler each sip, hello Seagrams Escapes. Never would I buy this again.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 8, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

It's not the strawberries making it taste odd, it's the sorghum I'm assuming. It's this very sweet, but in an artificial way, syrupy smell that's pretty off-putting. If I didn't read the bottle I would assume aspartame is in this, the aftertaste tastes like artificial sugar. I'm glad I don't have an allergy to gluten.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Paul Proteus posted:

Why say something like this and then get all defensive when people actually do it? Seems like you're just attention whoring for throwing away $$$$

Because there's some stupid posts in-regards to it. What the hell would I gain "attention-whoring" here? This isn't reddit, I don't get likes, and people won't retweet. I simply posted about the beers I drank that night as I often do, I knew people would react stupidly to it so I called it before I even posted it.

Anyway, looked at my rating of Nugget Nectar I drank 2-3 years ago, I rated it in my book and then checked Ratebeer, I'm surprised that they were exactly the same.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

air- posted:

Sipping a Terrapin Moo Hoo right now. The chocolate aroma on this beer is so robust. Really light bodied yet kind of reminds me of drinking chocolate milk.

It reminded me a lot of the left-over milk from cocoa pebbles, so yeah I agree 100%. I enjoyed the heck out of it, I have two left over I'm saving for an upcoming fest for the morning. I'm glad I bought a lot of it, it's a solid beer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I can understand why you didn't like it. Lots of people refer to certain beers as "sour" in the US, but in Belgium they refer to lambics as "acid beer," which I think is a much more fitting description. Enjoying a really good lambic is a lot more like enjoying a really good vinegar and a lot less like enjoying a really good tart berry.

Having said that, I can't really imagine why you would spend $40 on a bottle of beer that you aren't positive you will love.

Also I could drink a 750 of Schaerbeekse no problem, personally. One of the most delicious beers on earth.

It was highly recommended from a friend and I had a good income tax, it's only $40 and money, thankfully, isn't tight right now. I fell in love with Allagash's Interlude and figured it might be similar, I was wrong. I'm not saying it's a bad beer by any means, I'm just saying I didn't like it and didn't want to struggle with it is all. I see the comparisons to vinegar, but are there people that just drink vinegar?

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

Huh...weird. I had a sip of a friend's tonight and could only compare it to a fruit flavored mead. A bit dry, definite strawberry taste, but not too offensive for what I figured I was getting myself into.

I've only had one mead, B. Nektar's Zombie Killer. I could see the comparison, both reminded me a lot of a wine cooler. Tweason Ale I just didn't like though, the aftertaste was killer. I hate aspartame and that's what it reminded me of.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

$20 a 4 pack? Holy cow...I guess it's not that bad though, at least compared to things like BA Rasputin or Black Ops. I'll get a 4 pack and drink one fresh, then stagger the next 3.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Two cases of KBS? Crazy if you ask me. I'm actually more excited about the Left Hand Milk NItro Stout coming out though, I've been hearing such good things about it and can't wait to try.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

What makes you think it's all for him? :cheers:

BTW, seems like KBS makes for an interesting study in price psychology. Several people have commented that $20/4 pack seems expensive, and I wonder if those same people have no qualms about paying > $10 for a bomber of most other big, bourbon barrel-aged stouts even though they cost more per oz.

Personally, I wish more breweries packaged their big releases in smaller bottles. Makes them MUCH easier to drink.

Edit: ^^^^ one of those west-coast goons

Yeah, I thought about that with a 4 pack you're getting nearly two 750ml bottles. Not bad at all.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Firestone Walker's Union Jack is really good, but it reminds me almost exactly of Nugget Nectar. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think they're very similar and I wouldn't be surprised if it was dang near the same recipe. I don't know if I could tell them apart in a blind tasting. Both have a citrus pine aroma/taste, though if I'm recalling correctly, Nugget Nectar just came in a bit earlier with the hops.

In other news I'm getting my first Pliny the Elder tomorrow thanks to an awesome beer manager I know. Fantastic.

Edit: The commercial description describes Union Jack as grapefruit, I'm getting pine but I think I get those two confused sometimes.

Edit 2: Drinking a New Jersey brew Cricket Hill's Hopnotic IPA. It just makes me irritated that no commercial NJ brewer can brew anything more than a decent year round beer, not worth buying over anything else. This is bland with citrus and floral hop flavors barely coming through, bland.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 10, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not huge on scotch's I've had Johnny Blue, Black, and Red, Glenlivet 12, and Laphroaig 10. I think only Johnny Blue is described as peaty and I can't really describe the flavor other than "peaty" if that is indeed the flavor I'm thinking. If so I don't like the flavor of it too much and prefer Johnny Walker Black over blue because of that, then again I'm more of a bourbon drinker.

I'm drinking a Yards IPA now and this is a really good English style IPA. I've never cared for many like this but I'm appreciating the complexity of bread and toasted notes from the malts with a slight citrus from the hops overall reminding me a bit of tea which fits with the whole British theme. This is a nice drinkable beer, especially at 7%. I could see myself getting into trouble with this.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Laphroaig is one of the peatiest of Scotches, it's enormously peaty.

Interesting, is that the smokey flavor from it then? Laphroaig 10 made me think I was smoking a cigarette with each sip.

Josh Wow posted:

I've never had either of these beers but just out of curiosity I looked up their ingredients. Their malt bills aren't very similar, Troeg's uses no specialty malts and Firestone Walker's is a more traditional American IPA recipe. Troeg's uses 5 different hops while Firestone Walker's uses six different ones, but only 2 of the hops are used in both recipes. One of those 2 hops they share is only used as a bittering addition in the Firestone Walker beer, so you basically get no discernible flavor from it in a beer like this.

Guess my tastebuds suck or my memory of what Nugget Nectar tastes like does. Interesting though, both had a citrus/pine flavor though Nugget Nectar came through a bit stronger. I do have a hard time picking grapefruit from pine sometimes though, except in Caldera's IPA I tasted nothing but grapefruit.

Also, those people are camping out to get KBS? I didn't know it was that big of a deal, I mean every bottle shop I know is going to be getting a few cases.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 10, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Yeah, peat in scotch kind of manifests itself as smoke and dirt, but in a very enjoyable way (somehow). Sort of like the funkier brett/lacto/pedio flavors that sound gross but make for an amazing beer.

Do a side by side of an Irish whiskey like Jameson or Bushmills and a scotch. The biggest difference (AFAIK) is that the Irish don't dry their malt over peat fires the way the Scots do, and the flavor difference is very obvious.

I'll have to try that, so I guess I might be wrong describing Johnny Walker Blue as peaty then? It definitely had an odd flavor while I found Black to be easier to drink.

Are there any Epic Brewing beers worth trying? They seem to have a list as huge as Sam Adams so it's hard to know what's good and what's not.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'll gladly go and get my 4 pack of KBS at my leisure and enjoy them throughout the year(s), sucks to be the people who waited hours to get nothing. It's good being friends with beer managers so I don't have to worry about it. Speaking of beer managers I got a Pliny the Elder from one for nothing today other than being a loyal customer. It's a solid beer and I'm enjoying it, but I think I prefer sweeter IIPAs like Maharaja.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Josh Wow posted:

I mean honestly Pliny the Elder just tastes like Stone Ruination anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion they're actually the same recipe.

Yeah, pretty much. Cool post!

I love Victory, Headwaters Pale Ale is fantastic.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Edited.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Manky posted:

That's not true. They take a shotgun approach to craft beer, and that can involve some incredible successes and incredible failures.

Speaking of, yesterday I got to share a bottle of both the Noble Rot and Red & White, the two recent "these are sort of wine" beers they put out. Noble Rot is mediocre. I tried treating it like a white wine and served it along with some cajun marinated catfish. To its credit, it stood up, but it didn't stand out.

I had the Red & White later that night, and actually thought it was something a little special. I might not buy a 12oz bottle of it, but if you get a chance to try it...it's tasty in sort of a weird way. I don't have a honed enough palette to give you horseblanket and catpiss estimates, but I thought it was interesting and tasty.

Neither Noble Rot or R&W actually made me think of wines, interestingly. What do other people think?

I agree 100% with everything you say. DFH takes chances and sometimes fails, which is fine. Noble Rot reminded me a lot of a bubbly pinot grigio wine and not of a beer at all, but I remember liking Red and White, I'll have to re-visit it.

Regardless, I agree DFH is not even close to terrible, they've done more for craft beer than people like to give them credit for.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Coming soon! I'm going to pick up a St. Bernadus ABT 12 and a Rochefort 10 and have a fun night when I get the West 12.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

wattershed posted:

Do we have dates yet for this?

The guy who posted the picture is in Ireland, so I'm hoping the US gets it soon.

Edit: Side of the box

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 11, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Someone said it cost them 50 euro. I heard around $60.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That box looks like it should hold some sort of medieval-themed board game.

BTW, didn't you say that you disliked the St. Bernardus Abt 12?

It's not that I disliked ABT 12, I just opened it at a bad time and found myself "forcing" this thick malty beer down my throat at a rate faster than sipping. I'm going to buy it again and re-visit it when I get the Westy 12 box.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is :swoon:

It was basically a beer milkshake: Rich, smooth and creamy. drat shame the weather's going to be far too hot to drink stuff like this in just a few weeks.

Ahhhh I wish I could find this, I've been looking for it with no luck. I agree with you on the weather though, it's 65F here still and I'm not even going to consider trying my Sucaba, the weather just doesn't suit it for me.

Edit: Holy poo poo, apparently we need an advanced degree to appreciate good beer. What a cock sucker.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 13, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Holy cow Sierra Nevada's 30th Anniversary Grand Cru is excellent. It's a blend of oak aged Bigfoot, Pale Ale, and Celebration Ale. Huge caramel sweetness upfront with an intense dark chocolate that yields to slight orange citrus and finishes with a floral pine hop finish that lingers for a bit. This is excellent, great sipper.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

SUPER HASSLER posted:

http://i.imgur.com/kSCoT.jpg
running out of space here, and I've still not been to Western CO yet...

I appreciate what you're doing, but gently caress do I find this tacky and annoying.

Barrel Aged BORIS is a pretty drat solid beer. I had the 2011 version and was completely shocked at how mellow it already was. The flavor is heavy on oak and vanilla though it's very light on the bourbon which only shows through as it warms up and blends well with a raisin flavor. I really enjoyed how mellow this was in the very best way possible, everything was well balanced. I recommend it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

ShaneB posted:

I'm not disagreeing simply to disagree with you, but I find the regular BORIS both better and cheaper. I also know for a fact that that beer sits in barrels for basically no time at all, so it's more or less a moneymaking thing for them where they can call it BA and crank the price up like $4.

Tastebuds tho.

I agree original BORIS is better, I simply was impressed with how mellow the bourbon and oak was though as some barrel aged beers simply become too heavy on oak or bourbon. I guess that makes sense though as you said it spends little time in a barrel. I wouldn't buy it again, but I definitely enjoyed it. Speaking of BORIS, there's two versions at my shop one has the 2008 GABF medal around the neck, the other has an updated one to add 2011. Are there any differences in the newer version compared to the ones that have been shipping or is it still the same old BORIS.

Edit: Wanted to add I actually enjoyed BORIS more than DORIS as well, since we're talking BORIS now.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Guess I'll avoid the limited BORIS then, Hoppin Frog's Silk Porter is decent though, nice balance of the roasted, toasted and caramel malts giving it a nice sweetness but not too sweet like a lot of beers with caramel malts seem to be. It's definitely thicker though than most porters, especially for a 6.2% beer, it's pretty much full-bodied, just a bit thicker than I'm expecting.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

A friend of mine is one of those beer drinkers that will appreciate the most complex barleywine, but still kick back with Bud Light Lime. Every once in a while he gives me a beer since he knows I like to review beers on ratebeer. He gave me a Shock Top Wheat IPA not too long ago and I was putting it off for as long as I could, unfortunately that night had to happen tonight. There was nothing I enjoyed about it in all honesty, the beer was loaded with orange flavor which took the entire palate. The best I could describe this as drinking a very watered down, but carbonated, low pulp orange juice that happens to have alcohol in it.

I don't see anything to be happy about here.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 15, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Founders sounds like a lot of dicks. Who do they think they are? The audacity!

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 15, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Deciding to do a little barleywine/stout tasting for my housewarming party tonight. I have Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half, Port Brewing Old Viscosity, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, and Firestone 15. Anyone have a good idea of what food to pair these with? I'm trying to think of the order and I think I'm going to start with the Yeti then work into the barrel aged beers, Viscosity next since it's 1/5th aged, Curmudgeons, then 15, do a Stout then Barleywine back and forth.

I've never done a tasting so I'll take some advice.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I wouldn't trust it more than 3 days after, ideally you're best drinking it that night.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

CalvinDooglas posted:

I would do that Yeti last because the Espresso flavor is very pronounced. Pair it with something that also has a coffee or bitter cocoa flavor to take the edge off the beer's raw coffee bean flavor.

Wound up drinking it first, but it was from December of 2010 so the espresso flavor was very mellow, I picked up oak and vanilla and as it warmed up I swear I smelled some sweetness of lactose...The hops were long faded though which definitely changed this though it still had a very intense aroma, but a mellow flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

CalvinDooglas posted:

Probably an improvement over the fresh flavor. I only had it at the brewery when it first came out. All the different kinds of bitterness coming together were just too much fresh.

If you ever find the regular Chocolate Yeti, that poo poo is good fresh. It has a touch of cayenne that really balances the huge sweetness.

I definitely appreciate the age on this mellowing the roasted malts and espresso, there's a nice oak and vanilla blending into this and I swear I'm picking up some lactose sweetness from this. By the way mine was from December of 2010 so it's definitely very mellow by now. I like this a lot and age has mellowed it a bit.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 16, 2012