Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Drinking a New Belgium Cocoa Mole right now and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. They did a really nice job achieving some sort of balance with these flavors. The cinnamon does start to get a little overpowering the more you drink and I don't think I could drink much more than a 10oz or 12oz glass of it. Still, quite good.

I had this the other night and while it was good (and definitely worth buying at $6 for the bomber), I felt like I would have liked it a lot better splitting the bomber three ways rather than the two that I did that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11031/75365

Horror, your name is Bed and Breakfast.

I did not get the chance to try this monstrosity from the Three Floyds anniversary party, but after reading the reviews and hearing my friends describe how awful it was (and these were guys that like sours), I'm glad I didn't.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Ahahahahaha jesus. I'm reading about people on BA getting to Founders at 5am and being too far back in line to get any KBS after they changed the limit to a half case per person.

Jesus loving christ I'm glad I decided not to go.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

Coming soon! I'm going to pick up a St. Bernadus ABT 12 and a Rochefort 10 and have a fun night when I get the West 12.

I don't even want to know how insane prices on this are going to be. But I'm going to try my damnedest to get one.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't get why it's highly regarded at all. I gave Midorka a hard time about the same thing with his expensive lambic, but the 120 Min is one of those beers that people will just suck up and finish, even if they know it sucks. Nobody wants to be the guy that doesn't "get" an expensive, hyped beer. Even when it's objectively terrible people will say "hmm yes I can see the appeal" instead of saying what they really think.

I drain poured mine. Yuck.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Yeah, the one with the blue cap is called BORIS 100, and was brewed with different malts. I agree that regular BORIS is the better than both BORIS 100 and BA BORIS.

I do enjoy light barrel aging though, some places over do it way too much and it's hard to taste the actual beer through all the bourbon taste (for me, anyway)

Boulevard BBQ was definitely like this for me though I was a fan of Sixth Glass. Very disappointed.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I was one of the lucky bastards that got an email from my local store to be allocated a bottle of KBS. Picked up a DFH 75 Minute IPA while I was there; hope it's good.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

What is different about the 75Minute? Is it...actually supposed to be exactly between the 60 and 90? Or is it special?

I think it's actually a blend of the 60 and 90 with some maple syrup in it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

bananasinpajamas posted:

Seeing all these stores getting KBS just makes me more puzzled as to why so many people lined up for the KBS release. I understand Dark Lord and Hunahpu's; you're not getting those bottles anywhere else (legally).

My local store in Chicago basically had a list of regulars and saved one bottle for each. Most of the stores in the area basically got one case at most, and the ones that get more than one are the ones that sell out as soon as the truck pulls up.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

rage-saq posted:

When I heard they were making a new batch of this for early 2012 release I was trepidations, the original 2010 batch remains among one of my favorite all time beers. I often describe it as "St Sixtus and Orval doing a collaboration beer" as it marries the great qualities of a nice quad with the nice funkiness of Orval.
The reason for my doubts was the fact that the brain behind this beer, Chad Yakobson, had left Odell in late 2010 or early 2011 to start his own brewery, Crooked Stave. Chad is an amazing brewer and is amazing with his use of brett and I thought that it would be hard for them to pull it off again without his expertise.
Fortunately for Odell pull it off they did, with some slight differences that are neither improvements or downgrades. It still pulls off a good rich quad character with a nice brett B pineapple funk to it and a nice subtle underlying vanilla oak character. Also like Orval its carbonated as gently caress and likes to outgrow the glass its put in.
I would say its got a little more robust dark malt character compared to the first batch and is a little more boldly flavored overall and not quite as nuanced as the first batch. I'm going to have to go and pick up a few more of these before its gone.

Anyone wiling to trade me one of these? Can't get it in the midwest, and it sounds super interesting.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Had KBS for the first time last night. I'm happy to have had it, and it is a drat good beer, but I'm really not understanding why people would camp out overnight after driving several hours just to get a case of this (trade value excepted). In truth, I enjoyed the Firestone Walker XV that I had right after it a hell of a lot more.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Corbet posted:

Waiting in line for a beer release is actually fun though.

Not as much when you're flying solo and thus your own DD. At least waiting in line you get to sample crazy stuff people bring for the line.

edit: Also, I'll be buying a bottle of XV as soon as I find a place that has it around here.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

It's very good and probably a must if you like barrel aged stuff. It's got a mouth I think is closer to a barley wine than a stout. I think the closest thing I've had to it is GI's King Henry (but not nearly as good).

I had XIV on tap once and I remember enjoying that VERY much, but without having them side-by-side I think it's hard to say.

Considering XV is something like 70% barleywine, I'd say that's about right.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Ohhhh, boy I need to try that. I'm a fan of 60 and 90 Minute considering you can find it almost everywhere nowadays. They're both fall-back beers if all else fails. I'd definitely like a bottle or two or 75 to try.

I thought it was pretty good too. DFH's one-off releases tend to be hit and miss (and usually nothing I'd buy again) but I think this one works pretty well. Due to expense it's not something I'd buy again over the 60 or 90 Minute, but it's worth trying.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

Old Guardian's a little different this year than the 2010 version. Remember, the even years for OG are the "default" recipe and the odd years are the "Belgo" versions - while I've never had a clear answer on what that means to Stone (pretty sure it's just a yeast thing), I'm quite partial to the odd years, though the 2012 "default" recipe was tweaked from the 2010 version and I think they've made some nice changes. I actually LOVE drinking b'wines in the summer, and it's tasting just fine to me right now.

Also, it seems to be one of the slowest-moving beers in their lineup...compared to their IRS or other Stone seasonals, it lasts the longest in stores and frequently gets marked down, making it even harder to not stock up for the whole year.

Speaking of which, when does Stone IRS typically get released? It's one of my favorite imperial stouts, especially after having the 2007 vintage on tap a couple months ago.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

That doesn't sound like fun at all!

I guess if your company is just brewing a DIPA all the time, you don't want to waste the gallons upon gallons of water soaked up by whole/plug/pellet hops. However does extract fade less over time or is it still subject to the same 1-3 months ideal freshness range for IPA/DIPA

Probably doesn't really matter because extract is primarily used for bittering.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I recently had to get a roommate for the first time in like 6 years... and it took him just over a week to drink a bunch of my beer cellar without asking. I don't know what the gently caress he was thinking, but things I believe got drank include:

De Struise - Aardmonnik - Earthmonk from 2008
Dogfish Head - Olde School Barleywine from 2008 (maybe more years? This is a 15% beer holy poo poo)
Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout from 2008 HOW THE gently caress DO YOU DRINK THIS BY YOURSELF its like 18%
Founders - Nemesis 2010 (Think this was in there)
Hair of the Dog - Cherry Adam from the Wood
Jolly Pumpkin - Bambic Batch 1 (FUCKKKKKK)

In the end it's just beer, and I guess I didn't EXPLICITLY SAY "don't drink my beer, especially multiple bottles of 15% beer", but jesus h christ on the cross I'm grumpy about it right now.

Edit: he was at least apologetic and was like "I didn't realize they were non-replaceable" and "I know guys at Firestone Walker and Stone" (he used to live in Cali)... but yeah. Cool.

Kick him to the curb. It sounds like he knew exactly what he was doing. Even if it was just a few cans of Hamms, you don't take someone else's poo poo without asking, period.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

Dude should pay you face value for every beer he drank plus interest for each year aged, or I would kick him out. How long has he been living with you and he is stealing your stuff?

I would do both. Make him pay for what he stole then kick him out.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

dumptruckzzz posted:

Get some goons to send you empty bottles from some rarer stuff, and then urinate in those bottles and fill the rest up with Natty Light or something (if you don't have enough pee). Then cap them and probably mark them somehow and wait for him to drink your pee beer. Or more likely he'll be uncomfortable that you're aging your piss and move out on his own.

I've got an empty BC Bramble Rye bottle I can supply for this.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Thanks! I'm *super* excited to be able to try Daisy Cutter, and Alpha King. It's kind of weird how many really good APAs are available in the Chicago area that aren't available anywhere else (Alpha King, Daisy Cutter, Pride and Joy, Zombie Dust... although I know that's only available in Munster)

The only good APAs available in my area that I know of are Sierra Nevada, and Burning River (which I don't enjoy that much...)

Zombie Dust is around Chicago, though it's in high demand to the point where one store near me is charging $14 per 6 pack.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Y'know when there's a lot of good sentiment about something and you try it and you're all, "Man, what's wrong with me where I think this isn't that great?" and then you just keep trying it to convince yourself that you agree with the crowd?

Yeah, I've done it with ZD. And I'm still convinced the rest of the world is wrong. Gimme a Two Hearted, a Daisy Cutter, a Crooked Tree... Gimme standard stuff I can get year round over it.

Thing is that ZD is a year-round, though with the insane hype over it you wouldn't believe it. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good beer (I even bought 10oz of citra hops to try and clone it soon) but it (in my opinion) is not 99 on BA good. Are there year-round releases anywhere else that get this much hype?

I would happily pay the $10/6 or $35/case they charge at the brewery, but with the insane gouging in Chicago (add another couple bucks for taxes, don't forget) suddenly the $14/6 turns into almost $17/6 when you toss taxes on the pile.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Really? They bottle it year round? It seems to be available in Chicago only in early spring, so maybe they only do a large distributed batch once a year? I dunno.

My wine/cheese/bottle shop had it in on Sunday. The woman behind the register said they got 20 (!) cases in that week and the 3 sixers on the floor was all that's left. She recommended I get some, to which I replied I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Turns out, it was Abacus-backwards which my local Whole Foods had a half-case of! Huzzah!

http://www.3floyds.com/our-beers-2/ it is now. I think the first bottling might have been limited, but it since has become a year round (their twitter account has said it's a year round repeatedly too).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Oberon is the beer that non-beer nerds tend to get really excited about when it hits shelves. Not to say that it's not a good beer - quite the contrary in fact, but at least in Chicago it feels like that.

edit: Speaking of summery beers, am I alone in my hatred of Gumballhead? I've tried to enjoy it but every time I've had it I just get this funny mediciney taste.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

Oberon and Gumballhead are two of my favorite summer beers (alongside a long list of others). Oberon's a nice compromise between the German hefe and the lighter, cleaner American wheat; Gumballhead's a great straight-up American wheat beer with lots of Amarillo hops. Do you know if you're sensitive to Amarillo at all? Some people get an aspirin-type flavor out of them, and it seems to be a matter of individual tastebuds. If you like other Amarillo-heavy beers, it may just not hit your tastebuds right.

I like the Amarillo when they used it in Brian Boru, so I'm not sure where it comes from.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

It will probably not be released again as it was a collaboration.

Cocoa Mole is still rocking the shelves here in Chicago; it's really delicious (I had it on tap) but they want $15.00 a bottle for it.

I liked it, but there's no way in hell i'd pay $15/bomber for it. I got one at whole foods lincoln park for like 8 and I felt good about that. It's still on the shelves here in chicago because of the gratuitous gouging on it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jack Skeleton posted:

That's the highest I heard it go, but considering I've seen it on the shelf at different stores in the price points from $6.50 to $9 a bomber, I really am not surprised that it would go up to $15.

Maybe they mixed it up with the other lips of faith series that actually do cost into the $15 range.

Either way, it's good and I ended up getting a few more bottles at $6.50 at whole foods even though I was sitting on 3 bombers I picked up for $8.95 at Bruery Provisions.

The bottle art alone is awesome. Anyone have advice in turning old beer bottles into glassware?

Man, you ain't kidding about the bottle art. It's probably one of the best looking bottles I've ever bought. I might buy another bottle of it from Whole Foods just for the artwork.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I tried Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro last night, and let me tell you... :aaaaa:

It's one of the tastiest stouts I've had, and it was my first milk stout. It really does taste like the leftover milk in cocoa pebbles, like I've heard other people say.

It was good before nitro, but the nitro bottle really brought it to a whole new level in my opinion.

edit: Ayinger Celebrator is one of the best beers on the planet and I'm so happy I can get it year round.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 2, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Stone's RIS is about 3 weeks out, but holy crap is it good.

This. Stone's RIS is loving outstanding. Founders makes a great one too, but that's pretty much off the shelves now outside of the one store by me that charges 4 bucks a bottle for it (with no 4-pack discount).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So a local store got in some bottles of Lost Abbey Red Poppy. This would be a big deal as it's one of the few beers my wife will drink, but it's seventeen dollars for a 12 ounce bottle. I had it on tap early last year, and it was good, but not $17/12oz good. Are they gouging or is that what the drat thing actually costs?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wattershed posted:

I can't remember if we've discussed Green Flash's Palate Wrecker (aka Hamilton's Ale) in this thread yet...

It's a triple IPA, totally unbalanced and really really loving delicious. Fruity (pineapple, grapefruit, mango, orange) and quite dry, with an awesome aftertaste that's pure yeast. A little sticky sweet, but given how hoppy it is that's not exactly unwelcome.

They're distributing in 4-packs for around $10-12...very highly recommended if you see it.

The Rayon Vert (Belgian pale with brett) is outstanding. Highly recommended.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Not to mention a state with arcane liquor laws rivaled only by Utah's.

Edit: Re: Pliny the Elder, I don't feel it's overrated at all. I think it's an outstanding example of the style. But if there are many lesser-known beers that are just as good, I think that's more a reflection of how insanely far the industry has come and how lucky we are right now as beer lovers than it is a reflection on PtE being "overrated". As far as I remember, there sure wasn't always dozens of beers as good as Pliny.

Agree with this 100%. Also, http://vimeo.com/38581012 explains a bit of why I think people attach 'overrated' to it - it's an incredible beer and among the best DIPAs in the world, but it is not the end-all-be-all of IPAs.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Speaking of Russian River, sometime in August I'm going to be driving through Pennsylvania and I was wondering what Russian River brews are available at the beer distributors there. I know they generally don't carry the full lineup, but can I get Pliny? The sours?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

From what I understand, you will probably only be able to find sours. RR doesn't typically ship IPAs to Philly because of freshness issues. They do of course ship kegs of IPAs, but I don't think they do bottles.

Got it. I'll have to take up a collection before I go then - a case of sours ain't gonna be cheap.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I've heard of most RR offerings being found in Philly and have personally found Redemption and Damnation in the one store I looked (I only went to one store because I wound up spending $80 on poo poo I can't get in NJ.)

As for how you buy beer there, I've heard some funky things but there are many bottle shops you can go to and buy singles of beer. I'm confused on how the whole thing works, but I do know most bottle shops in Philly mark up things a lot, I paid $20 for an Alesmith Speedway Stout for instance. Here are 2 places I've heard highly recommended. I believe they are both distributors so they can only sell cases at a time but they both have a decent list. If you want single bottles though you're going to have to pay huge price mark-ups at bottle shops.

Unfortunately I'm not going anywhere near that far east. I'll be going from Ohio past Pittsburgh on my way to Morgantown. Any recommendations along that route?

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 5, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I thought that was standard pricing for those sours, but I'm not from CA so I guess I can't speak too much. I know Jolly Pumpkin sours can get pretty expensive, I've paid $10/375 for some JP.

They look about correct for what I paid on my trip to San Francisco.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Coffee flavor was ok, but it was quite thin and the alcohol was pretty forward for me. It's ok this time around.

The alcohol wasn't as forward for me, but then again I'd already had an espresso Yeti and Jolly Pumpkin iO that night, so my tastebuds could be off. I'd drink it again at the $5/snifter I paid.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

What got ya'll into craft beer? For me it was my family offering me a La Fin du Monde last Christmas which is still one of my favorites to this day.

I was never really a beer fan until I had a Newcastle brown ale. Even though by my standards today Newcastle is trash, it was the first beer I ever bought and drank mainly for taste. Then I discovered Sierra Nevada's porter and it was all over for me after that.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I can't think of a single Rouge beer that I've ever been impressed by, but I hadn't heard about any lovely business stuff.

Same here, though Dead Guy is decent. I also haven't heard about any shady business practices...care to enlighten, Midorka?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

yeah, i could see doing that for parabola, which is better than either of these.

i stopped at a local shop last night (famous liquors in forest park, for you chicago folks) and they still had bottles of XV for $17 and sucaba/abacus for $14. both are well worth it for those prices, especially abacus, which i think is one of the best barley wines i've ever had.

One local store is charging $26 for XV and I don't think they ever got Sucaba at all. I would buy XV at $17 in a second if it were available to me, as I really enjoyed it when I had it on tap a couple weeks ago.

When does Parabola come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys.

I'll definitely pick up the Tripel Karmeliet, and probably the Westmalle, too. I don't get Allagash in my area, but I will give the Weyerbach a shot.

I have never tried Raging Bitch, or any of Flying Dog's beers yet. I have been hesitant to pick up a 6 pack of them for whatever reason... but the beer store I'm going to be stopping at to pick up the Tripels only sells beers by the single bottle, so I'll probably pick up a bottle or two of Raging Bitch to give it a shot.

Edit: Missed Tenacious's comment about Le Freak... I didn't even realize what this was! I've seen it a few times, and have never gotten it. Looks like I might pick up a bottle of that, too, along with the Raging Bitch.

Best year-round from Flying Dog has to be their Gonzo imperial porter. Their Kujo coffee stout is also excellent.