Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

cool poo poo post tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Totally just heard a dude at the bar say "horse blanket" when explaining Belgian sours to his girlfriend. I'd shake his hand, but it'd be embarrassing for both of us.

This is the sort of thing that happens when the last post you made on SA was four years ago over on PI.

I'm just hatin' :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Retemnav posted:

Well, after talking last week about how the Mikkeller tasting was underwhelming and how his beer's were all overpriced...I of course found 1 bottle of Beer Geek Brunch Weasel sitting on the shelf of a shop this weekend. So I had to pick that up. Looking forward to drinking fermented weasel shits this week!

If you want fermented weasel poo poo I could have given you that at a far more reasonable price....

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

In the last thread people were comparing IPA/IIPA hype last year (and before) to this year.

Last year, Monk's Cafe in Philly got their one and only keg of Pliny the Younger and the line outside the door by the time they opened was more people than the number of tasting glasses in the keg.

This year they started serving PtY at 11:30am and at 5pm they apparently still have some left.

Just got replaced with zwanze day

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

beetlo posted:

Made the drive to DC to pick up Dortmunder Gold today. The drive wasn't bad at all especially considering how close to rush hour it was (36 miles in 45 minutes with DC beltway and 270 involved is really good). $24 for 12 of them. Looking forward to trying it. :)

This is a really loving long drive for Dortmunder Gold.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Mmmmm... Arrogant Bastard is such a delicious beer. I'm changing my mind about drinking both beers, though. I think I'm just going to stick with this single bomber of AB for tonight.

Two bombers of 7%+ beer is just a bit too much for me on a weekday.

Midorka parachute account?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Corbet posted:

Speaking of canned IPAs, Sixpoint (based out of Brooklyn) just started distributing to Ohio and I picked up their IPA, Resin:

It was pretty good and it hid the alcohol well. Honestly, when it comes to DIPA hype and limidted releases, I haven't really had one that's blown me away. There are plenty of year-round DIPAs that are just as good as limited releases.

I've only heard amazing things about this beer. I can't wait to try it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

OK it looks like I'll be in the SF bay area in late April/early May. Moylan's/Russian River/21st Amndt are on my list, but where else should I make a point of visiting?

e: ↓ I miss Shiner on tap :(

Moylan's isn't worth the trip, IMO. Russian River is a pretty decent drive north and you can just chill out and enjoy it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

A friend just told me knows someone who is already camping out in front of Founder's for the KBS release on Saturday. Beer nerds. :what:

As someone who is still sitting on a few bottles of 2010 and 2011, and not due to some desire to age them, I'm skipping this year. It's just not that fun a time and I can reserve money for DLD.

In order to make this not just a "cool story, bro" post, I had one of the most pleasurable aromatic beers last night:

mort subite blanche lambic, kobbegem, belgium 5.5%
dry w/a little tartness, we get coriander on the nose & peach blossom on the palate

was the menu description, and it's pretty drat accurate. It was the biggest aroma I've ever smelled in a beer, and it overpowered even the seafood on the table. It could have been a woman's perfume. The beer was delicate, flavorful, and crisp, but I could have used a touch more tartness for my tastes.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 9, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

whoever dies

If only...

(I don't actually wish them death okay?)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I demand to know if he's like that in real life.

I'm actually pretty laid back. I've met a good number of goons that post here. My not giving much of a gently caress doesn't lend itself well to forum posting all the time.

I agree with the assessment of the bramble. It tasted like it was blended with port or something. The fruit got kind of cloying and just stuck in your mouth the whole time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Like what? He does make some snide remarks, but it comes off differently on a message board. He's a cool guy that knows a lot about beer.

I'll be honest, while some of the remarks can be crass, I can't say I don't disagree with the sentiment. As much as I love the beer thread, sometimes the same post over and over again gets a little old. It's the nature of the subject.

we aren't friends anymore

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BoredByThis posted:

How could that have been remedied? Hmmmm?

No, really, I wasn't interested in this at all...

It was kind of a spontaneous thing, sorry bro. :(

I have more BDMGR, and the Midnight Sun was basically liquid caramel. At least it was carbonated.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Midorka posted:

I appreciate what you're doing, but gently caress do I find this tacky and annoying.

Barrel Aged BORIS is a pretty drat solid beer. I had the 2011 version and was completely shocked at how mellow it already was. The flavor is heavy on oak and vanilla though it's very light on the bourbon which only shows through as it warms up and blends well with a raisin flavor. I really enjoyed how mellow this was in the very best way possible, everything was well balanced. I recommend it.

I'm not disagreeing simply to disagree with you, but I find the regular BORIS both better and cheaper. I also know for a fact that that beer sits in barrels for basically no time at all, so it's more or less a moneymaking thing for them where they can call it BA and crank the price up like $4.

Tastebuds tho.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

They released an anniversary version in Chicago with a blue cap and a neck hanger(not sure if this is the one you were talking about). I'd say it was a worse beer but cost more money than the regular.

I didn't love the bottle I had, either. It used a different grain bill with euro malts for fanciness.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I don't think they expected it to happen at all. Two years ago the KBS release had people going back a few times to get another case. Last year I think they still gave out full cases and most everyone was happy about it. Now this year they have people camping out starting at 5pm the day before. I don't think the CBS release even had that kind of turnout (correct me if I'm wrong).

And the (BA) people in Michigan/Grand Rapids complaining about only being able to get it by going to the release are so full of poo poo. There's tons here, every tiny grocery store in my area is getting like 3-4 cases. Next year they are tripling production and people will probably still bitch about it.

When I went in 2010 I arrived at like... 8ish??? and you could buy 2 cases each. I easily got my case. This year was absurd. Glad I didn't go.

I'm drinking one of my 2011's in memory of last years visit *pours one out*

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 15, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wow I actually got tickets to DLD with no issue. Huzzah!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

Literally 10 seconds after the DLD ticket link went up the site was unusable. Goddamnit 3F, get your loving poo poo together.

I just clicked where the buttons were supposed to load (broken image links showed instead) and got to checkout. And they use a 3rd party ticket retailer to handle their sales, and they throw everything they can at it every year. It's like getting a denial of service attack.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

Oh well, I guess the bottles of '10, '11, '11 Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord, CBS, 2007 Cantillon Iris, and Baller Stout I was going to take with me will just have to get opened on another occasion. Sorry beer goons, I wanted to meet up and party but this poo poo just pisses me off. Especially since they are now $300 a ticket on Stub Hub.

In other news, gently caress you 3F.

Cool :smug: post. There is literally nothing about this that is 3F fault, besides throwing a rather small event that HAS to be that size and everyone in the region salivating over getting tickets every year.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

Ummm, yeah 3F is completely at fault? They are the ones that contract this poo poo out, they need to get a site that can handle the traffic?

It clearly did handle the traffic. The tickets sold out in minutes. It didn't handle your traffic and you are butthurt about it. I didn't get tickets last year, but that's how this poo poo works.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

You seem to have a difficult time grasping at how an E-commcerce website should function. Here's a hint, it shouldn't crash halfway through a purchase session. Why are you such a loving douche?

Because you are being an absurd baby who is exactly the type of person 3F wrote about in that quickly-pulled blog post last year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Weebay posted:

I'll confirm that for you, if you don't have a ticket, they won't let you in; the event was getting too crowded so they capped it.

Hey Paul Proteus you going again this year?

The second ticket i got is for him, since he couldn't be at a computer this morning.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I recently had to get a roommate for the first time in like 6 years... and it took him just over a week to drink a bunch of my beer cellar without asking. I don't know what the gently caress he was thinking, but things I believe got drank include:

De Struise - Aardmonnik - Earthmonk from 2008
Dogfish Head - Olde School Barleywine from 2008 (maybe more years? This is a 15% beer holy poo poo)
Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout from 2008 HOW THE gently caress DO YOU DRINK THIS BY YOURSELF its like 18%
Founders - Nemesis 2010 (Think this was in there)
Hair of the Dog - Cherry Adam from the Wood
Jolly Pumpkin - Bambic Batch 1 (FUCKKKKKK)

In the end it's just beer, and I guess I didn't EXPLICITLY SAY "don't drink my beer, especially multiple bottles of 15% beer", but jesus h christ on the cross I'm grumpy about it right now.

Edit: he was at least apologetic and was like "I didn't realize they were non-replaceable" and "I know guys at Firestone Walker and Stone" (he used to live in Cali)... but yeah. Cool.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 28, 2012

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Really though uh.....this is why my opinion on roommates is and will always be 'gently caress roommates'.

Yeah, it wasn't something I wanted to do but personal circumstances made the choice be between moving out of an apartment I just moved into like 2 months ago, or get a roommate and see how that worked out....

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Oh really? For some reason I thought someone had said it is only available out of 3F's brewery, I guess I must have misread/misunderstood.

I'm definitely going to give my friend a couple extra bucks, and hope he could find me a 6 pack of ZD. I really, really want to try it... probably even more so than Daisy Cutter, and Alpha King.

There is a six pack sitting at my corner liquor store that's been there at least 5-6 days. I know because I bought the one that was in front of it and it has never even been slid up to the front of the cooler.

They also charge bizarrely average/low prices for scotch for Chicago. Not complaining.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think Zombie Dust is pretty dang good, but the locals are a bit overenthusiastic about it. Something about 3F invites such absurd devotion, I think, much like the Ann Arbor brewpubs were always stuffed even though their beer was horrendous. But for a local beer, I think Revolution's IPA might be better, and you can get that every day of the week. :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chicago folks: who is going to Dark Lord Day? Paul Proteus and I are thinking about just going down in my van, so it makes sense to carpool IMO. That way we can draw straws to see who has to stop drinking 2-3 hours before we want to leave. :) Shoot me a PM if you are 100% planning to go and can get yourself to Logan Square or Edgewater that morning for a pickup.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Vertigo posted:

Bottle shop has firestone walker xv and firestone walker sucaba

$30 each.

ARe these worth buying at this price?

That's a loving price gouge.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

danbanana posted:

sir, i believe there are more appropriate threads on this site to get stoned and say silly things.

(seriously, you're the first person i've ever heard state this opinion.)

I'll give his opinion a +1 but I'm really tired of being the guy who just says negative things all the time.

Positive thing: there is a neverending supply of Zombie Dust at the small liquor store around the corner from me and it's a dang good everyday beer to have around.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

City Beer Store.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

air- posted:

I completely forgot about picking up SAVOR tickets a couple weeks ago, and didn't realize that it was like DLD as far as how fast the presale tickets sold out. I've heard good things about it, but is it really worth $120? A few of the salons sounded pretty awesome (Terror of Terroir, Odell Woodcut, Rare Beers of Tarheel State), assuming you got a decent amount to sample. And one thing I'm curious about, since this is so huge, could I expect something like say, SXSW/GABF, where the side events are a better use of time/money? I already read that BeerAdvocate's putting together an event that Saturday.

Ah well. Going to this tonight, what stands out to y'all?
http://dcbeer.com/2012/04/12/global-beer-network-tap-takeover-and-large-format-raffle-at-churchkey/

I've been to SAVOR twice and I don't think it's worth the money. The salons are hit and miss.

Why are you asking, though, if you missed ticket sales?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Wow, I am at Jolly Pumpkin right now. This place is amazing, how did I not know of a brewery that specializes in sours? Thank you so much for the recommendation!
Drinking Oro de Calabaza right now, I think the wheatgrass IPA might be next.

Downside...im going to buy too many bottles :-)

Get a pizza.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

air- posted:

every beer he's done has been outstanding.

This is a pretty serious overstatement. He frequently overspices and seasons his beers, leading to overpowering herbal flavors that, IMO, distract from the overall brew. I find his simpler beers like Stateside Saison and Cellar Door (very mildly herbed up) fantastic, though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Revolution is having a guest tap takeover for FW on the 21st and while they haven't announced it, I'm pretty sure that Parabola and Sucaba are both going to be tapped. Which rules because Revolution is in stumbling distance of my apartment.

They announced it. Sucaba is going to be in 22oz bottles, but Parabola 2011 is going to be on.

http://chibeerweek.com/event/?eid=275

The real thing you don't want to miss is Owen & Engine doing a Boulevard event with some Saison-Brett!

http://chibeerweek.com/event/?eid=164

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

What do you think of Victory's Headwater Pale Ale?

I always found most victory beers to be solid representations of a style, but nothing really spectacular. Old Horizontal is an exception, that is one of my favorite barleywines.

Headwaters is amazing.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

Definitely more similar to a Sierra Nevada than a Dale's

It's far more malty than either. It's closest to red chair from Deschutes IMO

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bud Light Lime-a-Rita is honestly delicious and tastes approximately like a Tom Collins in a can when poured over ice. I figure if you add a little gin it will be even better and closer to a TC. It's going to be my summer drink of choice, at least until something terrible happens (which is basically inevitable).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

wattershed posted:

It happened, folks. His roommate killed him, drank all his top-shelf cellared brews, moved onto Limearitas, and is now posting from his account.

That Cherry Adam From The Wood was so loving good.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

What breweries collaborated on the Squall IPA? I think it was DFH and one or two others.

Squall is simply unfiltered and bottle conditioned 90 minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tapping of Saison-Brett at 5pm tonight here in Chicago. So hyped to finally try this, and straight from a Boulevard cicerone.