Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I have two cats and I've never once drank something that smelled like their piss. I think I'd gag before it got within six inches of my face.

quote:

I thought Alpine Spring was replacing it in the Seasonal beers, and Noble Pils was going to be produced year round.
I hope sot, too. Noble Pils is pretty tasty. Alpine Spring is decent, still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Jack Skeleton posted:

Just killed a bomber of Exponential Hoppiness... IN Los Angeles.

Take that, Alpine 30 minutes East of S.D. backwoods locals!

Seriously though, it's a good beer.

Be careful. He might stop brewing it altogether if people outside of a reasonable driving distance from San Diego continue to know about this beer.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Red Chair is a "not bitter" IPA. The hops are all in the aroma, almost none for actual bittering.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

I drank some Dale's Pale Ale, it was good.

I drank some Uinta Hop Notch, it was good too.

Dale's is one of the best pales you can get. It's distributed pretty well out west, so there's no real hype, but it's just gaining traction in the Eastern US. It's still way expensive on the east coast; $10-$11/6 in MA, vs $8/6 in CO.

Uinta also makes an annual barleywine that kinda sits on the shelves, so it'd be good one if you want a "pre-aged" beer.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

RHIN0002 posted:

I bought a Sam Adams sampler box with their Black Lager and three or four others. The Black Lager had an aroma of cigarette butts that have been sitting in water. That's really the only way I know how to explain it, and that's exactly the aroma/taste that I got. Is this normal? I really enjoyed Guinness Black Lager so I assumed that Sam Adams' version wouldn't be half bad.

Dark beers are usually flavored with roasted malts. Literally, they roast the grains in a barrel before using them to brew. Lagers also have a distinct bitterness. Combined, I can see how it cross the line from pleasantly bitter to astringent. "Ashtray" is not an uncommon description for strong, roasty beers.

The Guinness was probably thinner and sweeter than Sam Adams. If you're not used to full-flavored beer you'll probably drink a few things that taste like cigarettes and paint thinner before you start calling the same flavors "coffee-like" and "fusel hotness".

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Manky posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to the Mikkeller talk. Should I be excited my bottle shop got some in? Of these bottles, any I have to pick up for good times? Black Hole, Draft Bear, Hoppy Easter, Green Gold, Mikkeller/BrewDog I Hardcore U

If you're OK with spending $5 on a 12oz beer, you could justify the excitement. I tried a Mikkeller IPA and it was good, but not $5/12oz good.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I noticed that all the bottle shops in my vicinity carry Orval that was bottled in 2009-2010. Is this just lovely distribution/store policy, or does Orval typically sit on bottles for a couple years before shipping them?

It's called an awesome deal. Snatch that poo poo.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

That looks like it should contain a pound of sugar and 500mg of caffeine.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Oskar Blues Gubna is a fine DIPA in a can. G'Knight is also really good, but more of an imperial red.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Oh, I'm gonna try to get some of that Deviant Dales next time I'm in MA/NH. Even better than regular Dale's, which is near impossible.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

$40 wtf?? If I paid that much for a beer I'd make sure every drat drop of it went in my mouth, tasty or not.

I don't know if drainpouring a $40 beer is a Beer Snob Fail or a new level of Beer Snobbery: rather than sucking it up and convincing yourself that the beer was awesome, like a normal beer snob would, you just said "nope, this $40 beer isn't doing it for me".

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

air- posted:

CalvinDooglas- did you get to participate in Kate day? I recall you moved up there somewhere unless I'm completely mistaken..

Every day is Kate day when you live with a woman named Kate!

Actually I didn't even realize it had come and gone. I'd heard of Kate the Great, but didn't know it was brewed around here. $8/bottle and only an hour away, maybe that release is worth going to next year.

Portsmouth brewery happened to be the first place I stopped for food and drink in New England when I came to visit in September. I wasn't impressed by their regular offerings, but I do like Smuttynose's big beers so far.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

bananasinpajamas posted:

Avery Trogdor the Burninator

:stonk:

This beer is indeed burninacious. Nasty big doppelbock.

I'm pretty sure I've only had like two of the beers on that whole list.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I figure if I can't find what's good in a style of beer, the problem is on my end. I spent a good year or so trying out lagers before I really found what I enjoyed in them.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Dank just means high quality. Antonym: schwaggy.

edit: La Folie is great. That's a bit pricey, but if you're up to spend it, you'll love the beer. Assuming you enjoy sour, sweet beer.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

I agree 100% with everything you say. DFH takes chances and sometimes fails, which is fine.

Dogfish head averages to "pretty good". I'm glad they experiment, but on other hand, I feel like they're dragging their feet a little with their "normal" beers. 60 and 90 Minute are OK, but they need to put more effort into the standards before they do all this hit-or-miss weird stuff. I had some 60 and 90 minute back during the holidays and didn't really like either of them very much (may be related to the time I had a 90 Min before coming down with stomach flu).

The Dregs posted:

Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale..this is what got me into beer in the first place. I ordered this for the hell of it at a wing place and it opened my eyes.

Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout...This stuff is awesome, tonns better than the only other milk stout I tried, which was Duckrabbit.

Every single beer I have ever tried made by Spaten, especially their Optimator and Oktoberfest. These are what I usually have in the fridge, but I had to lay off the Optimator because it's making me fat(ter).

Sounds like you prefer dark, malty beers. Try:

Left Hand Oktoberfest/Marzen
Left Hand Blackjack Porter
Left Hand Smokejumper
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Imperial Stout
Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter
Siberian Night Old Leg Humper robust porter
Sierra Nevada Stout
Weihenstephaner Korbinian
Smuttynose Smuttonator
Smuttynose Baltic Porter
Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer Blauw
Brasserie des Rocs Brune (Abaye de Rocs)
Rochefort 8, Rochefort 10
Chimay Blue label
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 11, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Brewing crap beer is different from a beer having a technical flaw. In that case of the 120 Min, the beer just didn't brew. When they do their goofy one-off beers that get universal "meh" ratings, the chemical reactions aren't the problem. It's that they bring stuff to market without really working up a better recipe.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Kudosx posted:

120 minute is one of the really highly regarded beers that I have no interest in trying. I've heard far too many bad things, and I'm pretty sure I'd agree with most of them and end up not liking the beer.

I don't get why it's highly regarded at all. I gave Midorka a hard time about the same thing with his expensive lambic, but the 120 Min is one of those beers that people will just suck up and finish, even if they know it sucks. Nobody wants to be the guy that doesn't "get" an expensive, hyped beer. Even when it's objectively terrible people will say "hmm yes I can see the appeal" instead of saying what they really think.

Docjowles posted:

I don't think there's been much New Belgium hate at all, other than universal agreement that Fat Tire sucks. I guess since that's their flagship, that reflects kind of poorly on them. But it funds La Folie, Le Terroir (:swoon:) and all sorts of great Lips of Faith experiments.

I think it's fair to say they don't rely heavily on the flagship beer. They have tons of seasonals and year rounds on tap and in stores, it's pretty easy to try lots of New Belgium without touching Fat Tire. They really are like Sam Adams of the West.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 12, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I unironically like Samuel Adams (the regular Boston Lager) too.

Sam Adams makes mostly good stuff. It's a drat sight better than any adjunct lager.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I still don't get what in any beer could remind a person of cat piss. I have smelled lots of cat piss, and none of it reminded me of any beer.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Mephistopheles is also like 15%, drink with caution.

Docjowles posted:

You could have an open container in your car in Wyoming as recently as 2007 :razz:

:emoticon of a crying bison:

As someone who lives about 30 minutes from the WY border, I am both in love with and terrified by that place.

I have definitely taken advantage of that law en route to Utah. I mean, you can't bring any booze into UT, so your only choice is to let the passengers have at it.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Knocking on wood right now... but I have an interview at Allagash next week to be their new tour guide!

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Is there some reason Founder's couldn't have allotted spots online?

I guess having a line double-wrap your building is a nice spectacle, but I don't see why they'd prefer people camping out for two days to a more orderly system that doesn't send people away disappointed.

Obviously they can't be there 24/7 to manage a line, but they could have taken reservations online and said "first come first serve" for the no shows.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

A few years ago Avery had to limit its turnout for release events because the crowd partied too hard and it became a liability. People were getting sick and passing out in the parking lot/lawn and being found the next day.

If a brewery is going to do a ridiculous "show up and we'll see" event, they should make it an event that everyone can enjoy, even if they don't get the coveted special bottle. Even a raffle would be better than an overnight box office line.

edit: don't get me wrong, there's a reason I don't go out of my way for special release events.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

Deciding to do a little barleywine/stout tasting for my housewarming party tonight. I have Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half, Port Brewing Old Viscosity, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, and Firestone 15. Anyone have a good idea of what food to pair these with? I'm trying to think of the order and I think I'm going to start with the Yeti then work into the barrel aged beers, Viscosity next since it's 1/5th aged, Curmudgeons, then 15, do a Stout then Barleywine back and forth.

I've never done a tasting so I'll take some advice.

I would do that Yeti last because the Espresso flavor is very pronounced. Pair it with something that also has a coffee or bitter cocoa flavor to take the edge off the beer's raw coffee bean flavor.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Probably an improvement over the fresh flavor. I only had it at the brewery when it first came out. All the different kinds of bitterness coming together were just too much fresh.

If you ever find the regular Chocolate Yeti, that poo poo is good fresh. It has a touch of cayenne that really balances the huge sweetness.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I'm enjoying some Allagash Tripel ahead of my interview. Wish I could have afforded one of their $18 bottles, but the Tripel is good enough.

The Dregs posted:

Tried a Dirty Bastard tonight. The waitress said it was a scotch ale, but I am pretty sure it was their porter. It was black as hell and ashtray-y. Not too bad, but a little heavy on the cigarette butt for me.

DB is a Scotch ale, which might resemble a porter visually. It's basically a strong, dark ale without much hops. The "ashtray" flavor is dark roasted malt, and you find it in imperial stouts, too. if you can get Oskar Blues Old Chub or Orkney Skullsplitter, they are examples of how good the style can get.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 17, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I got a rare infected Goose Island Matilda, but it was only a little sour, and in a way that didn't go well with the other delicate flavors. Tasted like lacto or something, probably would have gotten better with age. Not terrible, but I would like to taste the beer as it was intended.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

Don't know why, but I thought it was for some reason, I haven't had it but I just assumed it was...Reading the description of it seems like it's bourbon, chocolate, and roasted profile so should I get something sweeter for the port wine cheddar?

The "Old" thing is so common for barleywines that I assume anything called Old [whatever] is in the style. It's definitely led me to some kind of disappointing purchases. Most recently, I got a 4 pack of Old Leghumper thinking it was a really good deal for barleywine, only to find it was a robust porter. Still tasty, but not as tasty and strong as I'd hoped.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I'm on a bit of a quest to find a great everyday pilsner (a real one, not lovely American adjunct lager). Today's entry is Great Divide's Nomad. It's almost really awesome but I find it too bitter. Very nice aroma of floral, grassy hops and sweet, bready malt. There's good body and some malt sweetness, but the finish is pure IPA bitterness and it hangs around on your tongue. If they dialed that back a bit it would be quite awesome. It's also like $10 for a sixer which seems excessive.

So far it's still a tossup between New Belgium Blue Paddle and Avery Joe's Pilsner.

Prima Pils is my favorite, but it's pricey. Avery Joe's tastes good. Left hand Polestar Pilsner is decent, maybe a little light. Mama's Little Yellow Pils is pretty inexpensive, for Oskar Blues.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

So I've got this Allagash interview tomorrow. If I'm hired I'll be their new tour guide. It's the first of two interviews, should I be successful.

Any advice on what brewhouse folk are looking for in a new hire? Appropriate attire for a meet'n greet brewery walkthrough type interview?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Do you have a beard? If not, welp.

(but no seriously good luck)

I maintain a healthy stubble. Their previous tour guide was beardless, but I suspect that was mostly due to gender.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Have you had any of their coolship beers? That might be something you could talk about, if you have.

Unfortunately not, as none have been released yet except limited taps at brewery events. I plan to harp on how much I love their Tripel.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

They had some in bottles at Night of Great Thirst, too.

Must have been extremely limited. The Website just says they haven't sold any, which I took to mean bottled/distributed.

I'm glad I went on an Allagash tour last fall because I got to mention parts of it specifically in my cover letter. I think I got invited to interview in part because of the sentence "I have been on the Allagash tour before and found your brewing facility awesome. Especially the room with the ginormous barrel."

I'm pretty sure I'll never get to use "ginormous" in a cover letter again.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Gub'na is great. Expensive but great. Try G'Knight, too. It's more of an imperial red, but it was their flagship IPA until Gub'na came out.

Midorka posted:

Been seeing Deviant Dale's pictures everywhere, but not in New Jersey. I would love to try it, how much is it?

doesn't matter just buy it and love it as much as I do

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

In addition to the exciting Deviant Dale's tall boys, today at Whole Foods I saw SN Pale ale in canned 12 packs, and even better, 4 packs of 16z Torpedo! At $7, the 4x16oz is actually a better deal than the bottled 6x12oz for $9.49, by about 2c per oz. It's only half a beer less than the six pack, but $2.49 cheaper.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Picked up some Sam Adams Latitude 48 because my local bottle shop was closed and the convenience store didn't have Stowaway IPA. Haven't had this in a year or so. Still quite enjoyable, but it's no Stone IPA.

Docjowles posted:

Bought a tallboy of Deviant Dale's today. Had to take a couple sips from the can just 'cause drinking an 8% IPA from a tallboy is badass

They must have upgraded the recipe since the test run I tried a few years ago at the Lyons brewery. I remember it just being a dry-hopped version of regular Dale's. Now I'm really looking forward to trying it. I'm going hiking in NH next week, hopefully I can stop somewhere and buy it.

edit: if you aren't accustomed to barleywine, definitely get single bottles and samples to start.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 23, 2012

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I finally found some Stone RIS at a shop around me.... but it's the Belgo-Anise version. Bleh.

I haven't had Old Guardian in a few years. Based on the above comments I may get a bottle soon.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I almost forgot Colette! I remember having some really great evenings watching the sunset over Denver out front of Great Divide while drinking a Colette or similarly delicious offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I think most beers that use ingredients harvested all in the same season are called "harvest" ale. I guess "vintage" would be the European equivalent.

edit: yeah, I wouldn't rely on any beer naming conventions to have consistent meaning from brand to brand like wine.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 25, 2012