Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Corbet posted:

Does anybody else get a "cat urine" smell when drinking certain sours? I'm being 100% serious.

Not impossible. Biochemistry can be pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What are your state's laws on open containers? Can you have an already-opened beer in the passenger compartment?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

deadwing posted:

I've never bought a growler that hasn't been sealed in some sort of way. I'm pretty sure there's only six or eight states that allow open containers in cars, so the vast majority of places nation-wide will seal their growlers.

I bet in most places you aren't allowed to let customers out the door with unsealed containers, whether they are getting a car or not.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Big Eye has a little higher IBU. Maybe they use different hops also?

Edit: IIRC, Sculpin tastes like fresh hops that I've only encountered in home brew, though maybe the Sculpin that I tried was fresher than the Big Eye.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 13, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everything Sierra Nevada makes is good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tigren posted:

Seriously. Just because they don't release poo poo in the same Pokemon vein as everyone else, people don't give them credit as a great brewery. I'd like to say that's one of the ways you can separate a beer snob from a beer nerd. A snob wouldn't give places like SN or Anchor the time of day, while nerds know that those kinds of places not only put craft brew on the map, they still pump out solid, if not amazing, beers in all aspects.

And they somehow manage to do it without people camping out overnight to buy two bottles each to sell on eBay,

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please to be defining "more flavor" and how it relates to one beer being better than another.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Corbet posted:

Has anybody been to Ebenezer's Pub in Maine? It's this ridiculous Belgian beer bar that has an amazing cellar:

Their cellar tour video is worth watching:
https://vimeo.com/10931456
https://vimeo.com/10931470

Maybe I am around too many earthquakes, but seeing all those irreplaceable bottles on tall shelves with no rails is pretty terrifying.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jahoodie posted:

It's a pretty good social media buzz troll, actually.(Hopefully)

You can't buy that kind of publicity.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's Celebration Ale season! :toot:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seconding the suggestion that it be packed and padded as if the suitcase will be thrown across the room more than once (because it will).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seconding that checking beer is fine, but wrap it up assuming that your suitcase will be thrown 10-20 feet from chest height approximately twice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People not in California clearly have something wrong with them and don't deserve good beer anyway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't apologize for being right.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

oh, and speaking of LOLcal brewing news, i think a few of you will get a kick out of this article about Richmond's newest brewery.

That doesn't sound too bad. At least he is aware that the only thing he knows about brewing is that he likes stouts and porters and is looking to hire someone who does actually know stuff. That is better than starting with a terrible logo, a bunch of punny beer names, and your own half-assed home brewing experience.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

I will be in SF this Sunday, presumably alone for the game. Is there a bar where I will be able to see the Superbowl on good quality TVs that doesn't have an abysmal beer selection? I realize that the likelihood of one is inversely proportional to the likelihood of the other, but maybe, just maybe...

They will all be extremely crowded.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did you know that you have been drinking your IPA from the wrong glass all of this time?

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/dogfish-head-sierra-nevada-debut-new-standard-for-ipa-glassware.htm

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do thinner walls maintain beer temperature longer? Wouldn't heavier walls better attenuate heat transfer into the beer?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how the first sentence of the article makes it sound like there are great microbreweries popping up all over the place and then looking around in frustration for qualified brewers to push the buttons and turn the dials.

Also, when they say it is an 18-hour program, do they actually mean 18 credit hours? That would be a pretty lightweight masters (though maybe not for something this specialized?), but not nearly as bad of a thing as just 18 total hours of class time.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 27, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

That's not cool, but I certainly have never felt anything but welcome at WLV. Can't hire the best all the time?

It doesn't take the best to know that you shouldn't talk poo poo about the customers in front of the customers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ChickenArise posted:

This came across my feed this morning: http://www.packworld.com/package-type/containers/debut-full-aperture-can-end-beer

It's...interesting, I guess. I'm glad someone finally figured out a way for use to get liquid from a can into our mouth. Coors and their ever-more-idiotproof cans just haven't kept pace with the craft beer movement. I guess this could be a decent thing to get handed when you're in one of those bars without even pint/shaker glassware. Or maybe it's just a more efficient vessel to spill while doing outdoors stuff. 10% less metal is nice, but they seem to be dancing around the fact that basically the same amount of waste would be generated if you poured this can of beer into a non-disposable glass.

:psyduck:

Plus the internal rim looks like it would make drinking from those things feel not very much like drinking from pint glass.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
HumanCropcircle, congratulations on being part of the problem.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People who rate thing on a scale of 1 to 100 are hilarious. Like anyone can tell a difference between a glass of beer which scores a 76/100 for aroma and a glass of beer which scores a 77/100 for aroma.

Equally terrible are people who rate things based on their expectations. "This nice thing isn't as good as the imaginary version of it that exists in my head: 3/100".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

San Francisco knows what's up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Fat guy spotted.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The people demand the return of the shower beer title.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am willing to bet that at least 99% of the people using the term "horse blanket" to describe beer aroma have never been in the same room as an actual horse blanket, much less sniffed one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RiggenBlaque posted:

So I'm officially going to Apple's WWDC event this year, so can anyone give me recommendations for places to visit in the area of Moscone West in San Francisco? I won't have a car and will be limited to using the BART, and I'm going with a guy who probably won't really be up to traveling too far just to get good beer.

Practically any bar in SF will have good beer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What bar in SF doesn't have good beer?

edit: More specifically, what bar in SF doesn't have at least Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, or Trumer?

withak fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 4, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Well I mean the same can be said here in New Jersey. You have to go to a real crappy bar to not find some local (Weyerbacher, Troegs, Victory, Dogfish Head) or even Sierra Nevada on tap. It's not uncommon at all to see local beer on tap. What makes a good beer bar is one that knows how to balance their taps.

The question was where to find "good beer" near Moscone Center in SF. My hypothesis is that there aren't any bars in SF that don't serve "good beer".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RiggenBlaque posted:

What is that bar people show up in here every couple months complaining about what shitheels the bartenders are? Is that Toronado?

Yeah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does it really do any good if it can't re-pressurize the bottle? A bomber with one glass poured has a lot of head space for CO2 to come out of solution, even if it is sealed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm not a fan of Anchor's Humming Ale. Everything else they make is good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

Sal's? I think they have this pretty much year round. I've been tempted myself even though I don't like Anchor Christmas (or any "holiday beer," really).

Sierra Nevada's christmas beer (Celebration Ale I think?) is pretty awesome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to start an internet crusade against the listicle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've also been burned way too many times on skunky green Dupont bottles from stores that know not to put them in the sun. Never again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tell your wife that she's full of poo poo.

Cans are also better because they are significantly cheaper/greener to ship. With bottles the shipping weight is as much glass as it is beer. With cans you are only shipping a few percent more than the weight of the beer itself.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Van Dis posted:

We're in the SF bay area. Thanks for the suggestions.

You should be able to get Summer Solstice just about anywhere around here. Note that it might be in orange cans, not in bottles. In fact, I am drinking one right now. :getin:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WaffleStomp posted:

Wasn't Headwaters first brewed in 2011?

That is like 65 in beer years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

air- posted:

Gonna have to take Midorka's side on this one. I think he's just expressing dislike for a specific beer's interpretation of a style, and has an issue with the way it's been codified. Not the same thing as the newbie "it must be huge hopgrenadebro imperial bourbon barreled xyz or I won't even bother" mentality.

IIRC, "ethanol-soaked hop dildo" is the preferred nomenclature.