Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Totally just heard a dude at the bar say "horse blanket" when explaining Belgian sours to his girlfriend. I'd shake his hand, but it'd be embarrassing for both of us.

Does anybody else get a "cat urine" smell when drinking certain sours? I'm being 100% serious.

Huge_Midget posted:

Midwest beer goons, how many of you are planning on going to Dark Lord Day this year? So long as I get tickets, my wife, brother in law, father in law, and several friends and local homebrew club members are making the trek from Fort Wayne to Munster. Last year was awesome, and I hope the weather cooperates again this year. Anyone want to meet up and drink ridiculously awesome beer? I'd be down with trading, but if I am going to meetup with some other beer goons I say we break into our cellars and drink some ridiculous poo poo and make other people jealous. Here is my current cellar list I plan on bringing some bottle of Cantillon, Jolly Pumpkin, New Glarus, and some others that I need to open soon. I promise not to be a dick or spergelord, and drinking with goons is generally fun from past experience.

Assuming I can get tickets, I'm definitely going and I'd be more than happy to drink all your Cantillon and New Glarus.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of canned IPAs, Sixpoint (based out of Brooklyn) just started distributing to Ohio and I picked up their IPA, Resin:

It was pretty good and it hid the alcohol well. Honestly, when it comes to DIPA hype and limidted releases, I haven't really had one that's blown me away. There are plenty of year-round DIPAs that are just as good as limited releases.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bananasinpajamas posted:

I've been sorting this poo poo all loving day. It actually kinda sucks because there's also like 30 other CCB beers so yeah we have maybe 32 taps we'll be using for 60+ beers. :unsmigghh:

I wish a Michigan brewery did something like this once a year. I guess there's Dark Lord day a few hours away, I probably shouldn't be complaining.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

$20 a 4 pack? Holy cow...I guess it's not that bad though, at least compared to things like BA Rasputin or Black Ops. I'll get a 4 pack and drink one fresh, then stagger the next 3.

I'm getting two cases :whatup:

In other news, I believe tomorrow is the "national" release for Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout according to a local store. They're getting 3 cases in.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

Two cases of KBS? Crazy if you ask me. I'm actually more excited about the Left Hand Milk NItro Stout coming out though, I've been hearing such good things about it and can't wait to try.

It's good for trading, if you're into that sort of thing. A case is actually spoken for thanks to two west coast goons who I regularly trade with along with one other person who traded me last month.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

deadwing posted:

Glad that I've had the vast majority of the CCB brews, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to neglect the guest taps. Gonna try to get all three of the Wakefield Berliners, some Zombie Dust, the rum Hunahpus, Pineapple Blonde, Those Candies Your Granny Loves Brown Ale (especially assuming those candies are either Mary Janes or Werther's Originals, I can't think of any other options!), and leave myself one slot for whatever sounds delicious/gets hyped at the time. I'm budgeting for eight beers otherwise I'm sure I'd drink myself into a coma/the poor house.

Any chance you'll be sticking around until 7 pm? I'm trying to find someone who is willing to pick up some bottles for me (assuming bottles last through 7 pm)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

deadwing posted:

I'm not ruling it out, I've already got my allocation plus a friend's loaned out, and I'm just bringing 200 bucks, so I wouldn't be able to get too many extra bottles. It's really up to everyone else I'm going with for when they want to go. I'm the beer nerd, I'll be staying as long as they let me.

Well if your group has any extra bottles that you're willing to unload, I'd definitely take some off your hands. Hell, I'd be willing to paypal you for 3 bottles and if they sell out, you can just refund it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

A friend just told me knows someone who is already camping out in front of Founder's for the KBS release on Saturday. Beer nerds. :what:

As someone who is already planning on getting in line at 5 or 6 am (and I'm ashamed of that already), that's really dumb. If you really want to wait in line overnight for KBS, you should just go to the brewpub the night before and jump in line when they close for the night.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I went to the KBS release - got there at 3:15 am and was number #267 in line. They decided to cut the allotment in half and didn't tell anybody until they passed out tickets at 10 am.

Unless Founders drastically changes the way they do their releases, I don't see myself going again. I had a great time - people in front and behind us were awesome and bottle shares were occurring throughout the night. I managed to try:

-Parabola
-Abacus
-Bourbon County Coffee
-Bourbon County Vanilla (!!!)
-Zombie Dust
-Imperial Stout Trooper
-Blushing Monk
-KBS '11

Founders has to do something about the turnout though. They need to go the Bruery or Three Floyds route and pre-sell a ticket to guarantee bottles or at the very least, pass out the numbers as people get in line instead of at 10 am. Waiting 10 hours for three 4-packs is ridiculous and while I had a great time, at this point I don't see myself going next year.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody ordered beer from http://luekensliquors.com/store/ ?

Tempted to pick up some bottles of Marshall Zhukov's Imperial Stout. $18 shipping for 5 750ml bottles is cheap compared to other sites I've looked at.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I'm not disagreeing simply to disagree with you, but I find the regular BORIS both better and cheaper. I also know for a fact that that beer sits in barrels for basically no time at all, so it's more or less a moneymaking thing for them where they can call it BA and crank the price up like $4.

Tastebuds tho.

Any idea if BORIS Royale spent more time in barrels than their BA BORIS?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The people swearing away Founders are big babies but it's pretty obvious that Founders needs to make some changes to their events if this is the type of turnout we'll see going forward. Maybe an online ticket system or something.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I don't think they expected it to happen at all. Two years ago the KBS release had people going back a few times to get another case. Last year I think they still gave out full cases and most everyone was happy about it. Now this year they have people camping out starting at 5pm the day before. I don't think the CBS release even had that kind of turnout (correct me if I'm wrong).

And the (BA) people in Michigan/Grand Rapids complaining about only being able to get it by going to the release are so full of poo poo. There's tons here, every tiny grocery store in my area is getting like 3-4 cases. Next year they are tripling production and people will probably still bitch about it.

Line wise, I think CBS and KBS were equivalent. Granted, people didn't start lining up for CBS at 6 pm the night before.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

When I went in 2010 I arrived at like... 8ish??? and you could buy 2 cases each. I easily got my case. This year was absurd. Glad I didn't go.

I'm drinking one of my 2011's in memory of last years visit *pours one out*

The only reason it's worth going to these crazy events is bottle sharing in line. Granted, I'm sure a lot of people have a bunch of beer nerd friends who have tastings, but it's nice to try 6-7 sought after beers without tracking them down.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bananasinpajamas posted:

Seeing all these stores getting KBS just makes me more puzzled as to why so many people lined up for the KBS release. I understand Dark Lord and Hunahpu's; you're not getting those bottles anywhere else (legally).

Here in the Ann Arbor area, lots of small grocery stores are getting 1-3 cases but you pretty much had to get your name on the list last week to get a 4-pack for $20. When I went and picked my 4-pack up, the lady said they were receiving calls for it every 5 minutes all this week. Another store sold out in an hour or so today.

Obviously your area may vary. My girlfriend was able to get the last 4-pack up in Traverse City Michigan about 4 hours after they went on sale - and that particular store had the release posted on Founder's website.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

obi_ant posted:

God drat if that Sierra Nevada Hoptimum isn't one of my favorite IPAs. I typically ignored Sierra Nevada, but do they make anything else I should try?

Big Foot Barley Wine is great.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hey guys I got DLD tickets too. Group 2. Let's have a meet-up. :dance:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bananasinpajamas posted:

Hey I'm going to be flying out to Denver at the end of April to pilot and finalize all of Cigar City's can artwork so if anyone wants to goon out and drink a beer or two with myself (and the owner of CCB) lemme know. It'll be awkward as hell probably!

Any idea what you guys are sending to 3 Floyds in return for the stuff they sent you for Hunahpu Day?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Munkaboo posted:

Drinking a beer: 10-45 mins.

Playing a video game: 10-45 hours.

I can see why people wait for games :)

Waiting in line for a beer release is actually fun though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kudosx posted:

I've still never drank a barleywine. Is there any barleywine that there is a consensus is good fresh?

I always hear people saying that X or Y barleywine isn't worth half a drat unless it has a year+ on it. I'd buy a bottle or two of barleywine and age them for a year, but I'm drat impatient, and I'd hate to buy something and wait around a year, only to not enjoy it.

I've heard that barleywines are quite a bit like wine, and I'm not the biggest fan of wine, so I've been rather hesitant.

I really like Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine and Troeg's Flying Mouflan. I've heard Smuttynose's Barleywine is really good too, I haven't cracked my only bottle open yet.

edit: Oh and King Henry and Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine are definitely my favorites but you can't get King Henry anymore and Kuhnhenn only bottles BBBW twice a year.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is Founders Nemesis worth tracking down via trade? Anybody know why they stopped making it?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ubik posted:

Why bust your rear end for special releases when you can get so many great loving beers so easily and (relatively) cheaply?

Beer releases are really fun, have you been to one?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Oberon is the beer that non-beer nerds tend to get really excited about when it hits shelves. Not to say that it's not a good beer - quite the contrary in fact, but at least in Chicago it feels like that.

edit: Speaking of summery beers, am I alone in my hatred of Gumballhead? I've tried to enjoy it but every time I've had it I just get this funny mediciney taste.

My girlfriend's brother when he saw a mini-keg of Oberon in the fridge:

"Oberon?! That stuff is for hippies!"

....he's been really enjoying Bud Light Platinum lately. We even live in Michigan.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mahoning posted:

So my sister is proud of me for finally going back to school and getting dean's list and poo poo, and she's agreed to send me some beer. (She's in Orange County, CA, I'm in Ohio) I've already told her I want Pliny the Elder, help me figure out a few more for her to send that are west coast only!

(Like I've said on here before....I'm a HUGE fan of IPAs, and not so much stouts. That means if its a really boozy stout I probably won't like it, but by all means make the suggestion if you think its worth it and I might like it)

Have her track down some Firestone Walker, especially Double Jack. Oskar Blues, Kern River, Russian River (especially this), Hair of the Dog, Deschutes and Upright.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Dang there sure are a lot of current/former Ann Arbor residents in this thread. Why didn't any of you make yourselves known a bit earlier? Could have had a good goon beer tasting or something. (I don't bite, promise.)

Also yes, ABC and Corner are poo poo. If you're going to Ann Arbor for beer, head to Jolly Pumpkin, Ashley's or Wolverine.

There seems to be a lack of effort when it comes to Ann Arbor goons and meet-ups. I'd definitely be interested and I could bring some great stuff to share (Beatification, Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain, Jackie O's Releases)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

Yeah I've heard nothing but fantastic things about New Belgium, I mean just this list and tell me you aren't jealous.

Totally applying for an business operations position when they start posting Asheville jobs.

edit: at the end of 2014, apparently.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 10, 2012

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sublimer posted:

I don't know if you have access to it, but Allagash's tripel is phenomenal. Even if it's not available to you it'd be worth trading for. They also do a bourbon barrel aged version of it (Curieux).

Pic of my latest beer haul:

Why does it seem like everybody on the Internet has access to tons of Cantillon except me?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah, derp, Cantillon.

I was actually looking to special order from Binny's, but I found ten bottles stowed in the back of a place near me. If it's good I'm definitely going back & stocking up. And I would definitely be willing to spread the wealth. Binny's actually offers a couple varieties for order and pick up at their locations, so...

http://www.binnys.com/beer/search/?advs=3&astxt=cantillon

You know...

I really like lambics, but I've only had fruit varieties, so I'm pretty excited to try a geueze, specifically from a brewer so well recommended.

I'll take some Cantillon off your hands. E-mail me: bagofsunchips [at] gmail.com

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Has anyone ever had a particularly good and memorable collaboration beer? I'm reading about Founder's first collab, which is with Green Flash, and I'm filled with 'meh'. What few collab beers I can even remember having, none of them were particularly great. I've still got a bottle of a Jolly Pumpkin beer called Collababiere, which was with Nøgne Ø and Stone, and it's probably one of the worst JP beers I've had.

The whole practice just seems a little unnecessary to me.

The Bruery / CCB Collobration, Marrón Acidifié, is highly regarded as being a good beer. I wish I had traded for it while I had the chance.

I'm pretty excited for Jolly Pumpkin and Maui's Collaboration. They're actually brewing the same beer with a different spin on each of them:

"Sobrehumano Palena 'ole is a red ale brewed with liliko'i and cherries. MBC and JPAA will both brew this beer; however MBC will use standard fermentation while the JPAA version is a barrel aged sour. The beers will be packaged both by MBC (in cans) and JPAA (in bottles)."

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is anybody still interested in meeting up before DLD? I'm really tempted to go hang out at the Hampton because they're doing a beer share in the lobby but I really don't want to drive back and forth from northern Chicago.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 17, 2012

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I'm interested to see what you have to say when you try the Westvleteren 12.

He won't care for it because he didn't care for ABT 12.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bartolimu posted:

- Dark Lord 2011 is drat tasty. It's sweet but not cloying, with tons of complex cola, root beer, chocolate, and grassy flavors. It is in no way worth waiting in line for hours and possibly facing a riot when some people don't get any, but it IS a very tasty beer.

Has this even ever happened? They guarantee bottles of Dark Lord for anybody who has a ticket.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 26, 2012

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

Has this been mentioned yet? There's a company in Connecticut making beer beer ice cream apparently. Looks like they're only selling it in a few locations now with the option to ship it anywhere in the states. Guess they're using Guiness, Sam Adams (Boston Lager, I think), and tiny, Connecticut-based microbrewer Olde Burnside's Ten Penny Ale. Looks like there are also plans to make ice cream out of the Munson's Chocolates/Thomas Hooker Brewery Chocolate Truffle Stout collaboration, which seems weird given that you're geting a dessert item made with a beer made with a dessert item. :psyduck:

I'm kind of a nut for Ten Penny Ale and I'd love to get my hands on some of this.

Edit: \/\/\/

Yeah, I bought a single to try a little while ago and have yet to crack it open. I just thought it was kind of funny. :cheers:

Jeni's in Columbus does a Cherry Lambic Sorbet. It's amazing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kudosx posted:

Not everyone has been reading the beer threads since the beginning.

I was mostly just curious if any of you won a 'golden' ticket, and which version of DL you chose if you did win.

I went and won a golden ticket, managed to get the vanilla version of Dark Lord. It was pretty crazy, almost everybody in our group won the golden ticket except my girlfriend. I plan on cracking open my bottle next year on the night before DLD 2013.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kudosx posted:

I wish that Founder's Breakfast Stout was year round sometimes. I can't think of any other beer which I would rather have in the morning. I don't normally drink beer in the morning, but I was thinking how it would be awesome to wake up on my birthday and drink a FBS.

Consider it a rumor but I heard next year Founders will be extending the availability of Breakfast Stout significantly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Does that mean it's going year-round?

In Chicago, you can still find it around. The first batch that hit shelves was gone pretty quickly, then it seems like a second distribution came.

I believe so. At least, that's what a Founders rep alluded to at one of their events in the Ann Arbor area.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

CYBER SLIMER posted:

Zhukov's should be easy to get. Hell I think some places still have last year's batch floating around so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone at Dark Lord Day manage to get their hands on any Cigar City beer? Just curious what their thoughts were. Especially on Blueberry Muffin, my creation :)

You wouldn't happen to have access to any Hunahpu Snifters that were offered at the last Hunahpu Day, would you? I'd love to get my hands on a couple...

EDIT: Just found them on your website. Please disregard.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

There's going to come a point when people stop wanting to pay $7 for a snifter of something. And that's when those restaurants and bars that are investing in those beers start shifting back to the macros.

I agree with you for the most part but disagree with this. People are willing to pay $7 for a snifter right now, even when the economy is in the shitter. The craft beer industry is growing despite the fact that we were in a recession and unemployment is high. I really don't see people getting fed up with paying $7 for a snifter any time soon.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kudosx posted:

I look forward to checking out other barleywines soon, I think I might try bigfoot next. Are there any other good barleywines available in 4-6 packs that are distributed in OH?

They're bombers but you shouldn't have any trouble finding Great Divide Old Ruffian and Troeg's Flying Mouflan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

While I appreciate Stones RIS, I can not stand the presence of raisins, or dark dried fruits, in my beer, which Stone's RIS has. I like raisins, just not in my beer. When I want a stout I want chocolate, roasted malts, and such.

You must hate quads.