Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I had some Hill Farmstead and my Zwanze but had to bail before I could get anything else good. Lord Hobo was standing room only, but I expected it since it's a tiny place. This'll make going to work a little bit easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The best bottle shop around me just tweeted that Jack's Abby Hoponious Union was their top selling beer of the year for the second year in a row.

For good reason. If you're not in New England, you need to drink this beer.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Extreme Beer Fest list is finally starting to come together, and it's looking good, despite the fact that some breweries are being unusually disappointing. Lots of the places are bringing almost exclusively bottled releases, and a lot of that is stuff that has been at the festival before.

Who is going to the Friday session?

Saturday here. Friday is for the Haaj to Mecca. (Greensboro)

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I don't post enough about Night Shift. They're one of the best things in the Boston area these days. They've been doing a single hop series of Belgian DIPAs. Citra->Simcoe->Amarillo->Motueka->Chinook->Cascade->Galaxy and now Mosaic.

Holy Crap this is my new favorite hop variety. So dank and juicy, like hyper Citra.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'd agree with that. I don't really care for Bee Tea or Rose, but all their sours and the single hop nation series have been pretty great. Viva is never really the same twice, even though I really like it, it's definitely not for everyone.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I really like them. I can't say more than that since I haven't had many so called belgian ipas that I can say I like other than theirs.

Trillium is growler fill only except for a few tap accounts here and there. Got a really solid American Pale Ale that I tried when they were last there. I forget what dark sourey thing I had from them at Zwanze day at Lord Hobo but it was pretty dang great.

Mystic in Chelsea is solid too. Heavy into the zymurgy aspect with a focus on saisons. Only brewery in MA to get a GABF medal too.

Should probably take the 25 minute drive to Jack's Abby too for some Framinghammer. Coffee and Vanilla are especially good.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Oh hey yeah Boston Beer: Get all the Cisco. Lady of the Woods and Cherry Woods (shown above) are silly good and tend to be overlooked here.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've really started getting into the New Zealand hops varieties. Mouteka complements IPLs and Belgians so nicely. Nelson is easily a top tier single hop.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

EBF attendees: Festival is at the Seaport World Trade Center this year for significantly increased space. It's also 3 blocks from Trillium Brewing, a tiny little hole on Congress St next to Row 34 and Lucky's. They are making seriously good beer and are approaching their 1st anniversary.

Next Tuesday they're releasing bottles of Wild Trillium, a wild oak aged Farmhouse, and then Saturday the 22nd at 10am they're releasing Cuvee de Tetrault, a wild belgian style strong ale aged on currants. You should probably get both bottles if you can, they're absolutely phenominal.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I don't know, how about actually drinking the beer at the festival you paid for?

The funky buddha is making my mouth salivate already.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Midorka posted:

Edit: And when talking about trademarking a process, Anchor trademarked the "Steam Beer" name. Sure it was a bit different, with Anchor essentially resurrecting the style, but it's very similar.

This is why you have to call the style "California Common."

It's a style I'd really like to see more of, Jack's Abby does a Boston Steam Pie which is the same but with vanilla, cocoa and lactose. It's just okay though, needs iteration.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Jenkin posted:

I went to EBF and it was a very good time. Crooked Stave's stuff was excellent, and I also really enjoyed Toppling Goliath's Sosus and Sue and Tree House's Juice Machine. Anyone else have highlights?

Juice Machine and Double Shot owned. Dug Dark Horse's Lil piggy one, smelled like straight bacon. Most of the Smoke beers I had were really good in general I thought.

Allagash's Avance, Funky Buddha's French Toast, Lost Abbey's Spontaneous Cheer, and Two Road's Crazy Pucker stood out. Crazy Pucker especially for having an apple character in a berliner that I found suprising.

To me though, this was the year of the Gose. Maybe a year later than I felt the style started to take off, but holy hell all the goses I had were fabulous. Funky Buddha's Veruca especially, and CCB's Margarita Gose too.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Biggest Surprise - Carton Regular Coffee. Coffee cream ale. Holy poo poo. It tasted just like a latte. I was gonna skip Carton because they're local and I'm rarely impressed by them, but I'd never seen this particular beer before and I'm super glad I stopped to try it.

OMG this. I've had a few "pale" stouts that have a dark coffee/roasty flavor and are yellow, but this one was super amazing. Crazy refreshing after the boozebombs/hopocalypse/acid reflux type stuff I normally drink at EBF.

Another EBF story. 7 of us took a rental to Hill Farmstead on Friday. A rough chain of events upon leaving the brewery: Rental car with <1k miles on it ends up in snowbank, what we only assume to be a serial killer posing as a mechanic just happens to be no more than 200 yards down the road, followed by getting picked up by the cops. All of this sounds way worse than it actually was. A surreal and amazing trip though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm glad I have 4 bottles of Art 18 because it's probably the best sour Night Shift has done.

The Horchata Stout I sampled on Thursday that didn't make it to the fest is getting released in the taproom this week once they sort out the carbonation issues. I already have way more bottles than I have room for but I'm going to buy as much of that as I possibly can.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Mass liquor stores with good selections and knowledgable staff that can help you:

Redstone in Stoneham
Kappy's Medford
Ball Sq in Somerville
Julio's Westborough
Wines & More in Mansfield and Wareham
Craft Beer Cellar Belmont/Braintree/Newton/Westford/Winchester

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Echoing the Babymaker (good, not great) and Framinghammer (coffee>vanilla>BA>regular) comments.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I feel bad for sitting on this growler of Edward for a week but goddamnit this is still the best pale I've ever had.

Recent cool purchases: Growler fill of Smokeshow and El Lechedor (a horchata style Mexican Milk Stout with all sorts of stuff) Backlash DEATH after I found the label, TWO whole bottles of Lunch, and Cisco's Brewers Reserve Gose. Been on a gose kick, gonna drink all the salt.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Vertigo posted:

Yeah the brewery is odd. They make "good" beer, but nothing great.... I don't see them surviving unless they knock something out of the park.
I checked some reviews and people are saying it's better than SBJ and others are saying it's awful. I'll know later... I do love Sweet Baby Jesus.... so hopefully this is an equal.

That something is Imperial Biscotti Break and I was confusing Evil Twin (genuinely great) with Evil Genius (I have zero experience with their stuff). That'll teach me to read.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Smoked beer is cool yo. Gratzer/Grodziskie is different enough from Rauchbiers to be worth trying if you don't care for them. I had White Birch's First Sparrow the other day. It had a really good balance of piney hop bitterness, slight tartness from the wheat and plenty of campfire aroma.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Drank a Pretty Things Grampus last night and was left really confused. Billed itself as a "hoppy golden double mash". Lots of pineapple/apple/honey and super sweet with only a twinge of bitter on the finish. Hid the 10% well. I'm not sure I liked drinking an entire bomber myself, but I think I'd easily drink it as a Sauternes substitute with dessert.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Mine's going to be Westbrook Gose. I'm going to try and get somebody I traded with to send me a case of it.

This only Lost Nation Gose. I have to drive like 2 hours to get to a place to pick it up, but it's on the way to Greensboro so I might as well.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I think hanging out with the Dark Horse guys at LTK the first EBF (that I attended) was the coolest. Then they had the balls to make Uber Boober and serve it from a tap with a breast pump attached. Dudes are just nuts in the best way.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Trillium is super hype.

Cambridge Brewing Company is just as good as it ever was.

You're much closer to getting stuff like Maine Brewing Lunch on a semi regular basis.

Wormtown in Worcester is making some really surprisingly good things these days too.

I love all things Night Shift (except rose and bee tea)

Mystic.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Bottle Trillium goes faster around here than almost anything Maine does. Also, when I say hype, I mean it's getting talked up a bunch in the local press/social media. The only other one that comes close is probably Treehouse out Springfield-ways.

If anyone got a bottle of New England Red you should probably sit on it for 6-12 months at least. It's good, but it could be so much better with more time.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

A sixer of Hoponius Union is like 11-12$. Their one offs are either 4packs or 500mls for like 6-7$. Mass/Kiwi Rising and The ABCS are their super good hoppy lagers. Saxonator is a killer dopplebock too.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 3, 2014

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Despair is being at work til 5 and the best bottle shop you know posting that they have limited quantities of Hommage available at 430.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You bastard. Oude Doesjel and Arctic Soiree were my consolation prizes.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

A couple cases made it to greater Boston, but that's Shelton Bros for you.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

On the way back to Philly you should stop at Treehouse in Monson MA. Julius is amazing.
http://treehousebrew.com/

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Night Shift tapped an Oyster Gose for their new taproom opening last night. Was definitely on the lemony tart side with a really slight brininess on finish. They're gonna try a couple variations with different oysters, the first used Wellfleets.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I am going to drink a whole lot of Smuttynose Bouncy House this summer.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Treehouse Julius is just fantastic. Absolutely worth the effort of getting up early on a Saturday.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Blue Laws suck, Tip Tap Room is pretty good (but in the expensive part of town.)

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

When I was out west this last November, Framboise was one of the best things I drank on the trip.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Damnit, I wasn't in time to add "squealer." I also refer to a match pair of 64 and 32 oz as "his" and "hers". I own way too many growlers because of Massachusetts asinine growler laws.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Astronaut Jones posted:

I had one when I was down at Epcot last year, it wasn't nearly as magical as I had hoped. :(

Yo me too. It was like 100 degrees and I loving chugged it. Did a job at cooling me down though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Everweiss is on my short list of good Strawberry beer.

I've lost all track of the irony levels in these posts and want to confirm that fruited berliners own.

I got a Smuttlabs Satchmo today. Interested in what Black Trumpet Mushrooms do to a porter.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Oxbow! Oxbow! Oxbow!

welp beaten. Definitely Oxbow Full Stop.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Cherry Barrel Aged Berliner Braun is my new favorite Jack's Abby. Huge Bourbon character in the nose, plenty of lactic cherry and wood notes, a little citrusey and low abv. Can we get more low abv barrel-aged stuff please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Midorka posted:

Smuttynose did a beer called Hugs N' Rainbows, a 6.5% abv red ale with Brett aged in bourbon barrels. No real barrel notes, but big tart cherry with underlying bready caramel malts. Very nice.

I missed that one but I did grab a Satchmo, a red wine barrel aged something with foraged black trumpet mushrooms. I'm sitting on it for a while though.