Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Y-Hat posted:

My college's beer bar (in Allentown, PA) opened a tap room in Reading. I've never had the urge to go to that city, but after getting an email from them (I'm still on their email list to remind myself of what I'm missing) about their upcoming events, I kinda want to go there.

I don't think I have to tell any of you in the area to go there.

drat, I have an interview in Reading tomorrow, what's the name of this place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

wattershed posted:

/cue 'NEVER LAY YOUR BEERS DOWN THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE LAID DOWN' talk...

Is there really any danger to the beer aside from having the sediment/yeast gather on the side of the bottle rather than the bottom? I guess it would kind of be difficult to pour without disturbing that stuff. Yeast sediment in beer (where it's not supposed to be) can be really funky and throw off the flavor.

My dad just has a mini-fridge that my sister stopped using after college set to like 55F, seems to work well. Everything stays upright and near perfect temeperature.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

crazyfish posted:

Founders Backwoods Bastard is hitting the streets today, so keep your eyes peeled. Apparently two Chicago Binnys have already sold out.

If anyone in the Lehigh Valley/Philadelphia area sees it, let me know!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

Are they doing the whole 1 case per liquor store thing? The store I picked up a 4 pack of the Breakfast Stout said they only got a case of that, so same deal?

If so, I'll swing by on my way home from work and check it out(Willingboro area).

Not sure, Breakfast Stout seems to be somewhat common at the Whole Foods near me, and Vertigo (or one of the other posters here) mentioned buying a whole case of Backwoods from somewhere out near Reading. I had it on tap about two years ago and haven't found it since.

On an unrelated topic, has anyone been having problems with beers from Duck Rabbit? Normally I'm a fan of theirs, but I just picked up a six pack of their Marzen and the two bottles I've had out of it have gone bad. Sour/oxidized. Willing to give anyone a pass on that, but at the home brewing course I'm taking, the instructor brought in their milk stout as an example of the style, and THAT was sour/stale too. I believe on both bottles they were still under the best-by date.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 2, 2012

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Anyone else have a chance to try Victory Village this year? I just found it on tap again at the Whole Foods near me. It's just an excellent coffee session beer. Because it's a fairly low-hopped brown ale, and only about 5%, it's really drinkable. Not typically the case with most coffee stouts/porters you find. The coffee is subtle so it didn't wear down my tastebuds. I had it the first year it came out (2010), and thought it was just some one-off brew, so I was really pleased to find it and be able to get a growler filled.

The tap room at Whole Foods had an infuser tap for it with coffee beans though, and my fiance tried the infused version. Destroyed the subtlety of it, holy hell the coffee flavor overwhelmed the beer, ha. Might not work for a smaller beer like Village but a bigger stout or more roasty porter might stand up to the infusion.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Ok, about to go have dinner at my local pub, this is what they have on tap that I haven't had:

Dock Street - Man Full O’ Trouble Porter
Philadephia Brewing Co. - Harvest From The Hood
Du Claw - Bare rear end Blonde
Clown Shoes - Eagle Claw Fist Amber
Flying Fish - EPA
Starr Hill - Double Platinum (DIPA)
Mission - Shipwrecked DIPA

Looks heavy on the IPA selection, although they also have Breakfast Stout (and a few others) on tap. I have had that fairly frequently though, as it seems to be really popular around me. Any of these worth trying?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Ha, didn't matter anyway as they ended up having a Victory tap takeover last night and had completely switched up their beer selection. Unfortunately I had also had a number of the ones they had on tap, so I ended up trying 21st Amendment's Fireside Chat, and Brown Shugga.

Both beers were kinda "meh". Fireside chat just seemed like a confused mess, banana, spices, kinda a bubblegum aroma, some chocolate and bitterness. Brown Shugga was just WAY too big for my tastes. The hop aroma was amazing, but it ended up way too sweet, I could barely make it through half of the glass, luckily my fiance was there to help me so we didn't waste it. I guess I should have expected a beer called "brown shugga" to be a bit on the cloying side.

I'm definitely suffering from a case of big beer fatigue. My current favorites are lighter brews like Yard's Brawler and Ed Fitz from Great Lakes. I'd love to see more session beers.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Weyerbacher Blasphemy - really interesting, a bit rough but has a nice deep candy sweetness with really nice pineapple and vanilla notes from the oak. If I had another bottle I'd feel good about sitting on it for another 6-12 months.

Yeah I was really happy with the way that turned out. I opened a bottle that I had been holding onto for just about a year and a half for my fiance's birthday last month. Toffee balanced out by some of the sourness, got better once it breathed a little bit.

I have two bottles of their Sour Black I just picked up, I'm going to try aging them for a while. I had a fresh bottle with my family back during the summer and it was like a really good beery red wine, if that made any sense. If you have some wine snob you're trying to convert it might be worth looking into, heh. Unfortunately it's like $17 for a 750ml.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Captain Shortbus posted:

I just had a Backwoods Bastard on draft. Oh. My. God. What a wonderful creation!

Cherish that memory, because you'll now spend the next few years trying to find it again. Or at least that's my experience, heh. I can never get out to the store fast enough to buy it when it comes out.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Has anyone had a beer where salt was a prominent flavor? I tried a "caramel and sea salt porter" when I visited Burly Oak brewery near Ocean City in Maryland. It was interesting and kind of worked, but only for a few sips at a time, and was better after drinking their Belgian strong. Ended up being too salty for anything more than a few ounces, and either needed more sweetness or less salt.

Has anyone ever had a beer where salt actually worked as a flavor? It's usually one of those Flavors That Should Never Be In Beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

crazyfish posted:

Have you ever had a gose? Salting is part of the style, and I've had a couple nice ones recently.

I have not. I keep seeing my beer buddies on Facebook mention the style but never seem to find one, although I haven't actively sought one out. I'm near Philly so it shouldn't be impossible to track one down.