Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Wamsutta posted:

Goose Island has been back in CT for a very short time but is loving EVERYwhere I look lately. A local store just got in cans of the 312 Ale. Is that worth checking out? Sounds like a light and drinkable hot weather brew from what I've read.

Now that Goose Island is associated with AB, a chunk of its biggest brands are brewed by the larger AB breweries now. The 312 that's in cans is all AB-brewed, and it's drat near identical to the original. 312 is a solid, easy-drinking, unremarkable American wheat - good for hot summer days and introducing the inexperienced to better beer, but not at all exceptional. The Honkers and IPA that are AB-contracted are pretty good, but the IPA doesn't stand up to the original - we're still working out the kinks on that. See if you can find any of the Belgian beers like Matilda, Sofie or Pere Jacques, or maybe the Nut Brown Ale - those are all Chicago-brewed, and better examples of what Goose can do. The Chicago-brewed IPA is also a drat fine English IPA, if I do say so myself.

The Redhook accident is a drat shame, and it's a good example of how dangerous brewing can be sometimes. It's a factory job, when it comes down to it, no matter what the scale or the quality of the product. We had a yeast brink blow off its manhole a few months back when the blowoff got clogged and it overpressurized. It destroyed a ladder 20 feet away and bent the legs on the tank like straws. If somebody had been standing in front of it at the time, they would have literally been decapitated. Safety is an enormous concern in breweries; if it's not, somebody's doing it way loving wrong. And that guy on Reddit is a colossal tool who has no understanding of how the drat beer gets in his glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

On another note, I'm enjoying a Unibroue La Fin du Monde right now. It's a bit more banana-y than I remember it, but it's still an excellent tripel - dry and just a tiny bit tart, but with a decent amount of residual sweetness and an excellently fruity, spicy Belgian yeast character, all helped along by a high level of carbonation. Every once in a while I rediscover Unibroue and wonder why I don't drink their beer more often.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

This used to bother me a lot before I started working at a brewery, but now that I work with a labeler I realize how incredibly fickle they can be. Our labeler at Terrapin is as ancient and lovely as they come. No matter how much we work on it (which is all the time) it always puts on every other label slightly crooked.

It also drops a lot of labels, and we lose some labels to our drop packer, so no matter how hard we try we're going to be sending out beer with lovely labels or no labels until we get a fancy new(er) one. So this is one area to cut smaller breweries some slack, cause they generally can't help it.

Seconding this. The labeler I worked with at Søgaards loved to leave the shoulder labels with hanging flaps, skew the hell out of the shoulder and front labels, and occasionally put three labels on one bottle. We did what we could to catch any bottles whose labels weren't put on properly, but you can only do so much when you're bottling three tanks worth of beer between two people in a 14-hour day, and trying to keep the packing robot from destroying bottles or making sure fill head #2 hasn't mysteriously stopped working again.

I've never had to do anything with Goose Island's packaging line (thank gently caress), but I imagine they run into similar things sometimes. They're large enough to have multiple people to catch skewed/off bottles and a maintenance team to fix any problems quickly, though, so I imagine far fewer hosed-up bottles slip through. But no matter how good your equipment is or how many people you have watching it, you'll always get the occasional low-fill or label problem.

Smaller breweries generally have to work with a lot of quirky, inconsistent, sometimes downright lovely equipment. Cut them a bit of slack on the little things and just enjoy the beer. :)

/edit: Would anybody be interested in an Ask/Tell thread about working in a brewery? Would any of the other brewers here be interested in contributing to it?

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 30, 2012

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

I see both Hoptimum and Palate Wrecker in the Andersonville store I go to a lot. I would almost say it'd be worth it to bite the bullet and to a back-to-back taste test, but I'm guessing my palate would be too mangled by whatever I drank first to reliably judge the second.

The one kitty corner from Hopleaf? That's one of my favorite little stores in the city. Great selection for a relatively small place, and they have a lot of good liquor too. I stop by there pretty regularly these days, since I have a few friends who live within a few blocks of it.

And yeah, the Half Acre tours are indeed The poo poo. They're super-generous and awesome people to talk with.

Man, I'll be happy to live on the north side again. Hyde Park doesn't have poo poo. :mad:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm moving to the tri-taylor area this Saturday and the only thing I'll miss the most is being so close to where the (beer) action is. Looks like me and the number 8 bus are gonna be getting to know each other a lot more in the near future...

You at least have Three Aces on Taylor Street, which is a nice bar and restaurant with a really solid tap and bottle selection. And they get cheese from the purveyor I used to work for. :) You also have the Binny's right across the expressway, which may not be as amazing as the one across from Goose Island Clybourn but should still have a solid beer department.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

And isn't Hamburger Mary's there too?

The beer at Hamburger Mary's ranges from okay/decent to actively awful. Nothing there has impressed me much so far, other than the fact that the guy is basically large-scale homebrewing for a bar and burger joint, which is pretty cool.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

anybody ever had a bottle of beer straight-up explode? had a random extra 22oz bottle of a beer i didn't like enough to drink again sitting on the bottom shelf of my nightstand for maybe two months that blew up in spectacular fashion this morning, spraying beer and glass across the room, but leaving the cap totally intact. even better, it was a smoked imperial stout!

for the record, we live in a converted factory, so we have poured concrete floors that are always cool and this was maybe a foot off the ground and about five feet below the window (really high ceilings) and therefore well out of any direct sunlight (and almost totally blocked by the bed, top of the nightstand, etc). the bottle was probably nine or ten months old, but had been in my brother's fridge for the majority of the time.

I had a bottle of 8Wired's smoked porter do this to me once. Except the bottle didn't explode, so much as it sheared off the bottom and poured all the beer on the floor somehow. I'm guessing it was a flawed/defective bottle, because I can't imagine an overpressure creating such a clean break in it otherwise.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

gently caress, Moonglow too? I love that stuff.

Goddammit. Moonglow is one of the best weizenbocks produced in the US.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Trying out Sixpoint Resin after hearing a lot about it. It's not a favorite, but it's nice - big grapefruit and mango flavor with what I can only describe as an aggressive balance of malt sweetness and hop bitterness. My only complaint is that it doesn't deliver nearly as much in the aroma department as I'd like - for me, a good DIPA all but kicks your nostrils in the balls with hop aroma. I'll have to find some SN Hoptimum for my next DIPA kick, if it's all it's made out to be.

Any Chicagoons doing stuff for CCBW? I'm not sure what I can make it to, between being broke and having a brutal week in the cellar ahead of me, but if there's anything that's reasonably priced and exceptional I'll see what I can do. It's too bad that other guys at Goose got all the slots for pouring events, but I should be able to pour at some other events in the near future. :)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

danbanana posted:

On the opposite spectrum, Black Tuesday was probably the most disappointing beer I've ever had. The one I tried had a year of age on it, but basically tasted like someone brewed a mediocre high-alcohol imperial stout and then just dropped a couple shots of whiskey in it. Gross, and this is coming from someone who adores great BA'd beers. This isn't one, in my opinion. Not even close.

Kosher Man and I shared a bottle of Black Tuesday at Thanksgiving, and even between eight people the bottle never got finished. It's like drinking sweetened jet fuel and charcoal, and everybody who tried it agreed that it was totally loving disgusting. It's kind of insulting that a beer like this receives the level of hype it does.

RiggenBlaque posted:

You can always count on rage-saq for Ajaarg level knowledge without the lovely loving attitude.

Dammit, don't say that name. All we need is for one goon to say his name three times looking at a mirror in the dark, and we're all doomed to endless angry lecturing about decoction mashing again.

But yeah, to my knowledge rage-saq has the dubbel/tripel/quad info correct. The hilarious thing is that it's mostly the US beer community that's gotten tied up in those terms, while the Belgians honestly don't seem to give a gently caress what the beer's called as long as it's good and they can sell it. I'm kind of puzzled by the co-existence of "quadrupel" and "Belgian dark strong," since the two are functionally interchangeable terms.

One of my friends - who doesn't drink but keeps beer around for her friends - recently came back from the liquor store with, among other things, Three Floyds Zombie Dust and Bell's Hopslam. It's been a while since I've had either one, but both were in good condition (even though the Hopslam is from January) and extremely delicious. Hopslam never fails to amaze me with how easy to drink it is for a 10% ABV beer, and has the kind of balance a lot of DIPAs - and even regular IPAs - fail to achieve.

RobBorer posted:

Alternatively,

"Who cares who makes it and what's in it as long as it tastes good?"

This is ultimately my philosophy on beer. It's good to be interested and invested in what's in your glass, but there's no need to be belligerent or snooty about it. Good beer comes from all places, in all forms, and getting too hung up on particulars alienates you from the community and deprives you of good beer you could have been drinking otherwise.

Retemnav, when you mentioned Ashville Pizza, is that the same place as Asheville Brewing Company? I visited ABC when I passed through the area in January and enjoyed their stuff a lot, especially the Moog Filtered Ale and the amber ale with jalapeño. Their kölsch, unfortunately, was underattenuated and riddled with diacetyl, so I'd steer clear of it, but the rest of the beer was good and the food's not too shabby.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Corbet posted:

And they do - I believe 312 Urban Wheat is made by AB-InBev?

A big chunk of it is, yes. Not 100% of it though. They're also making some of the Honkers Ale, and both of those are good representations of the original recipes. AB's not up to par with the IPA yet, though, so we're still hammering that one out like crazy.

I've heard rumblings of Bourbon County Stout going year-round, but I don't think that's happening for a while yet. We brewed a metric shitload of it over the winter and spring, though, and our barrel capacity's gotten stupidly huge. We'll have a shitload of BCS for this year's release, but I imagine it still won't be enough - demand for it is completely ridiculous.

In other news, Anderson Valley's Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is a drat fine beer, and will easily become one of my new defaults considering how widely available and inexpensive it is.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Midorka posted:

Goose Island just came to New Jersey and I'm not sure who's making what, but I've had the IPA twice, once on tap and it was one of the best IPAs I've had in a long time. I then had a 1.5 month old bottle and I'm not sure if the bottles were mishandled or the hops fell off that fast, or what, but it was a very boring and lacking representation of what I had on tap. I assume the bottles will say where they were produced so I'll check today. I've heard the Summertime Ale is pretty much exclusively being produced in New Jersey at an AB-InBev factory though, truth?

Yes, the bottles will mention where it was produced. As for the Summertime, none of it has gone outside of the main Fulton Street facility - we're brewing it all ourselves. It's taken up the majority of our production for the last few months because of how popular it is, but right now we're brewing more Green Line and IPA than ever. Which means having to deal with the goddamn DE filter every loving day. :v:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kosher man posted:

Ahem I think you mean horizontal pressure leaf filter (unless you actually use DE which I doubt). Also gently caress filtering. I hated running that drat thing.

Nope, it's a bell-and-candle style DE filter.

Filters in general are the most fussy little bastards though.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Paul Proteus posted:

Had a little tasting last night.

Otiose, Darkness, and the Perfect Storm were the highlights. Jai Alai and the Cuvee were both disappointing.

Sorry I couldn't make it out - I was just too loving beat after work. Brewing's not an easy job. :)

Darkness is one of those beers that gets a lot of hype and praise, but I've never understood it. Every time I've tried it, the predominant taste has been one of raspberry cough syrup, and it completely turns me off to the beer. I've been told that it may have something to do with the hop character, but I've had plenty of hoppy imperial stouts that haven't given me that flavor. Surly's other beers - Cynic, Furious, Bender - are great, but I just can't get into Darkness.

Midorka posted:

Last night I had Goose Island's Nut Brown Ale, it's the best brown ale I've had since Coffee Bender and I don't think that should even count because it's too loving good.

I'm so glad we make this again, even though it's occasionally a total pain in the dick to lauter. It's just a drat fine no-frills brown ale, and brown ales just don't seem to get much attention these days.

/edit: I'm drinking Boulevard Tank 7 saison with a blue-Camembert cheese, and holy hell is this ever a nice combination. Not quite as good as Founders Centennial IPA with the same cheese, though.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 3, 2012

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

You havent had cigar city's maduro brown yet I assume

Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale is also a drat fine beer that's a bit of a departure from other brown ales, as it's hoppier and more alcoholic but doesn't lose its sense of balance. It's one of my favorites from them.

Really, there are lots of breweries that make good brown ales - Bell's, Goose Island, Surly, New Glarus, DFH and others - they just tend to get lost between the IPAs and imperial stouts. It's a shame because brown ales make such perfect autumn drinking and tend to be a touch easier on the palate and liver than most IPAs. Brown ales started me on drinking beer, though, so I guess I have a pretty big soft spot for them.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I pretty much detest Three Philosophers.

:frogout:

You're right on the other point, though - Ommegang primarily sells in 750mL bottles, and thus sells smaller quantities of beer at a premium price. That probably allows them to distribute less beer to a larger number of markets. Those who distribute primarily in kegs or 4/6 packs generally have larger orders to fulfill, and have to produce more beer to satisfy fewer markets.

Signs that brewers are running out of experimental ingredients: Goose Island Clybourn currently has an English bitter brewed with stinging nettles. It's actually quite delicious, with a touch of dandelion-like bitterness from the stinging nettles and a nice balance with Maris Otter malt character. The Foxxy Brown was a bit less impressive, very sweet but with a bit of the unpleasant astringency that large amounts of chocolate malts can give.

I spent :10bux: on two great beers today: a half-liter of Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss, and a bomber of Stone IRS. I'm especially eager to crack open the weizen, since I haven't had it in a long time.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Three Philosophers has a taste I would describe as beer and blood. It's pretty foul and it definitely wasn't a bad bottle, it just tastes like that. :v:

"Blood" would definitely be an off-flavor, though. If it's kind of salty and/or savory, that's a symptom of autolysis, i.e. yeast dying in the bottle. If it's metallic, there's a problem with the water supply or the brewing process. I've personally never experienced either with Three Philosophers, but taste is of course an individual thing. It's blended with a sour cherry beer, so if that's not your thing then you're not gonna like it. More for the rest of us. :)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

Closing in on the end of this 2XIPA six pack. Stand up beer, low price. It's a really good IPA/DIPA standby.

I've been wondering about that, considering the quality of most of ST's regular lineup. The IPA is mediocre and Phin & Matt's is actively terrible. The bar in my apartment building carries it, so I'll have to give it a whirl sometime.

I also noticed a 2XStout at Binny's today. Any word on whether that one's any good?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Haymarket in Chicago has also brewed several Belgian IPAs, all of which have been pretty respectable. It's kind of a dead horse at this point, though, and if people are going to Belgian-ize styles there are plenty of others they can tinker with.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Also I'll be in Chicago a week from tomorrow for a goon beer tasting. I'll post some more concrete details in a couple days to keep it fresh for people, but essentially we are going to meet at a BYOB at 4:30ish and then hit up some bars afterward. If you wanted something from JP I could bring it down if you came to our bottle share, as I live about 10mjn away from the pub.

Perfect timing for me to start working weekend brewhouse shift again. :argh:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kosher man posted:

On a fun note I am headed off to Rome this week for the Un Mare di Birra. It is a cruise put on by Ma Che Siete Vunti a Fa that goes from Rome to Barcelona and back. During the cruise it is all you can drink and drat this years brewery list looks great.

If Christian Skovdal Andersen is there, tell him I said hello. And if Claus Søgaard is there, toss him overboard while he's drunk. :v: no not really

In any case, have a good time. :)

I don't understand why people need to get all dickwavy about their city being THE BEST for beer. The fact that so many places are great places for craft beer makes me happy enough, and I'm glad to live in one of them (Chicago).

Had a Weihenstephaner Weissbier for the first time in a while on Saturday night, and it's still the pinnacle of the style in my opinion: creamy mouthfeel lightened by spritzy carbonation, with lots of banana/clove aroma and flavor. Great stuff for a Chicago summer's day without A/C.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kosher man posted:

Yeah there are tons of brewers using hop extract. It is different then the stuff being used by the big boys as there are a few different types of hop extract. Not only does it not soak up as much wort (it soaks up like none) it is also usually cheaper then hops when looking at how much you need to use to get the bitterness you want. The bitterness is usually very pleasant as well.

I went to a seminar at the craft brewers conference on the history of hop extract that was put on by the lead chemist for MillerCoors. It was a very interesting talk even though loads of it went over my head due to me sucking at Chemistry. One thing I learned though was that Tetra-isoalphaacid extract (the stuff used in Miller that prevents skunking) has a major benefit to head retention. There is apparently some Belgian brewers who add tiny tiny amounts (like 2 ppm) to their beer for this reason.

Don't forget that eating hop extract is a great hazing ritual for new brewers. :D

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I'm kind of miffed that I work at Goose and haven't gotten to try King Henry yet, but the brewers tend to be the last to actually get things like that. :v:

For Chicagoons (and Chicago visitors): West Lakeview Liquors is having one of the guys from De Molen pouring rare and unusual stuff tomorrow from 1-4. I'll probably make it out there for a bit before heading to work.

Also, if any of you are interested in a short tour of Goose Island Fulton before getting totally snockered tomorrow night, PM me - I start work at 6PM but should be able to fit a short tour in before then. :)

Recently reconfirmed my love for both Weihenstephaner Weissbier and Stone RIS. Both near the top of their respective styles, for a reasonable amount of money.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I really wanted to make some sort of joke about brewing with yeast infections but it's really just too disgusting to even think about. Much like beard-yeast.

It's been done. Avoid the comments section because it'll just depress you with the amount of vitriolic misogyny in there.

Midorka posted:

Pepe Nero* there's also Lolita, but I haven't seen that appear in NJ yet. Their Nut Brown Ale is loving delicious as well and their IPA is no slouch.

Also keep an eye out for Juliet (sour beer with blackberries) and Madame Rose (lambic with cherries aged in wine barrels). They're harder to find these days but they're still around here and there.

I tried the Southern Tier 2XIPA last weekend at my local bar, and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Pale and dry with a nice bit of malt character, and a good citrus/pine hop character in the aroma and taste. I might have to start picking it up every so often, since it's cheaper than a majority of the DIPAs out there. It also reminded me of the collaboration beer I brewed with Beer Here, but that might have just been nostalgia and the alcohol speaking. :v:

Chicago summer's really started kicking in, so I'm glad to have all these free cases of Summertime and IPA from Goose Island. :D Now I just need to pick up some Tank 7 or Colette and I'll have the perfect summer trifecta.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Pasteurising beer is just something you need to do if you want to produce it on a commercial scale.

No it's not. It helps prevent off-flavors caused by contamination, which goes a long way in keeping beer shelf-stable for longer periods of time, but it's far from necessary. The brewery I work at now is orders of magnitude larger than the first brewery I worked at, but doesn't use pasteurization and still has a low rate of bottle infections.

There's some debate on how pasteurization ultimately affects the flavor of finished beer, but the biggest thing it does is kill most of the yeast in the bottle, which will diminish any aging effects from things like wild yeast. There's also a school of thought that maintains that residual yeast helps eat up dissolved oxygen, meaning pasteurized beer would oxidize far more quickly.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

This is even more confusing than horse blanket.

Horse blanket isn't confusing at all. You just need to get one of these.

I've been living off of Goose Island Summertime and IPA recently because of how stupidly hot the weather's been. Getting them for free doesn't hurt either. But I got to try a few new things while hanging out with some friends last night: Russian River Beatification is very aggressively sour, but still drat tasty. Firestone Walker XV is rich, smooth and delicious, and Parabola is a very nice imperial stout. I can't really give much more detailed impressions of that, unfortunately, since I'd already had a few in me by the time those rolled around. :v:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

danbanana posted:

I've already made plans to be there. They're also tapping White Oak (which I've never had) and Ruination 10th Anniversary (which I have had in bottle). Should be a good day...

Hmm. Maybe I can make one of these this weekend, since I finally have a Saturday off. :D

My mom had a big get-together for several birthdays in my family on Sunday, and along with the usual gaggle of Goose beers I also brought a bottle of Goose Island Lolita and Stone 10th Anniversary Ruination. The Ruination had all the wonderful hop aromatics and flavors you could want in a beer, but surprisingly enough it didn't seem as palate-killingly bitter as I remember Ruination being. It was still pretty aggressive, but it was surprisingly nicely balanced. I could drink a ton of that stuff. Lolita's also a drat nice beer, with plenty of raspberry character and a delicious tartness from all the souring organisms. I just wish it weren't 9%ABV, since I had to wake up for work early the next morning.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

For Chicagoons who want Daisy Cutter, I know Rogers Park Wine & Spirits has at least a few 4-packs left. And plenty of Gossamer and Over Ale.

Stopped by Norse after running some errands today, and got to try a few new things. They have (or had, the owner said the keg was running low) Boulevard Brett Saison on tap, which was a marvelous beer: plenty of saison dryness and a perfect level of funk and earthiness from the Brett. I also finally got to try Great Divide Belgian Yeti, which blew me away with how well it melded the Belgian fruitiness with the chocolate/roast flavors of the malt base. I homebrewed a Belgian imperial stout a few years back and it couldn't hold a candle to Belgian Yeti. Highly recommended. Norse also won an award for best bar in Edgewater/Andersonville recently, which surprised the hell out of me. Maybe Chicago is getting tired of the rear end in a top hat bartenders at Hopleaf. :v:

Tomorrow I'm joining Freddie (the owner) and a few of his friends on a long bike trip to some breweries in Indiana, with some stops to split bombers along the way. I like working in this industry. :D

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 11, 2012

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

air- posted:

On another note, has anyone had GI's Imperial IPA? It ... tastes like smoke :psyduck:, very very odd for a IIPA.

It could be that you're getting some phenolic character in there, which is something I've heard a few people (including coworkers) cite as something they're getting out of it. Different phenols come across as smoke, clove or medicinal flavors.

Where did you get it, out of curiosity? I didn't know whether or not the new kegs were on the market yet, but I guess they are. If it's a bottle, that's a very old (~5 years) batch and probably tastes more like a barleywine by now.

CYBER SLIMER posted:

We get the lovely task of carefully slicing up 12 pounds of vanilla beans :smith:

Trade you for peeling 40 boxes of oranges for Sofie. :v:

/edit: I am looking forward to a full trip report of Sirotan's expedition to Sperglandia. It sounds like a shining display of the worst aspects of beer nerds.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 21, 2012

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

BoredByThis posted:

I can stop off at Capone's on my way home and see if it's there and report when I get home.

Edit: Also, so this isn't a no content reply, Founder's Devil Dancer was unbalanced and less enjoyable than I have experienced in recent years. Also, I managed to pick up a '97 Triple Bock off the shelf during my last excursion to Milwaukee. Anybody in Chicago game to try a 15 year old beer?

Was Devil Dancer ever balanced? :v:

I'm completely down for trying some ancient Triple Bock just for kicks. If worst comes to worst, we can use half the bottle as steak marinade.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Anybody else going to Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison this weekend? I'll be there pouring beer with Goose Island (and likely getting a bit snockered with coworkers afterwards).

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Thought of something since I mentioned Great Taste of the Midwest earlier: Does anybody have any recommendations for bars and breweries in Madison? It's highly likely that my coworkers already have a good idea of what's around there, but it'd be nice to get some recommendations from you folks too. :)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Kosher man posted:

I brew with Chico yeast as my main yeast. I have brewed loads with saison yeast, 5 different strains of Brett, and lacto. I have had no infections in the 3 years I have been doing it. I chalk it all up to steaming everything I use.

On a similar note, Goose Island brews a bunch of beer using different strains of Brett - the amount of Matilda we've been brewing recently is just nuts - as well as a number of sours with pedio, lacto and the like. We don't pasteurize anything and we have a really low rate of infection and cross-contamination.

We have a pretty strict sanitation and cleaning regimen, though, including a super-long nuclear CIP cycle on any tank that's touched Brett or sour bacteria. When you realize just what 170F caustic will do to anything organic, you stop worrying quite so much. Especially if you get that poo poo in your eye.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

record cutter posted:

We tapped a keg of the cedar Dos Costas last week and it was sour as gently caress. And completely delicious. We've had reports of exploding bottles of all 3 variations. Basically it's infected all to hell but tastes awesome now so :v:

The same thing happened to Goose Island with a batch of Matilda that got a huge lacto infection, which ended up being called Dominique. Apparently it was super-delicious and some people consider it one of Goose's best beers.

danbanana, Domaine DuPage is also one of my favorite things to come out of Two Brothers. :) But when they call it a "farmhouse" ale, it's definitely in the style of a Biere de Garde rather than a saison.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

"I thought it was using european date order"

Lousy Smarch bottles.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm heading to Purdue this weekend, are the Lafayette Brewing Company or the Peoples Brewery worth a quick stop?

The LBC definitely is. The atmosphere feels like a slightly dingy family restaurant/bar, but the food is pretty tasty and the beer has always been solid. It'll make a good lunch stop. Just as a caveat, I have a soft spot for them because they helped me get into craft beer while I went to college there. :) I haven't heard of the People's Brewery before, so I'll have to seek it out the next time I pass through the area.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

crazyfish posted:

- BCBS with pears. In contrast to ancho, this was a disappointment - there was zero pear flavour. That didn't matter though, BCBS is so good by itself that it's hard make a bad variant.

Apparently this was a mislabel of some sort, because according to John Laffler, we've never made any version of BCS with pears. We're still trying to sort out who tapped it and labeled it, and what it actually was. So far the consensus is that it was most likely a keg of Lazarus, an imperial stout brewed from the second runnings of BCS.

Yes, even the second runnings turn into an imperial stout. :stare:

The 4 year-old saison was also inoculated with Brett. Claussenii, which is part of what made it nicely tart and extra fruity. It's something I want to experiment with more. :)

Gran Gås is my favorite of the innovation beers so far (shh!) but was a hilarious pain in the rear end to process, especially since the lingonberries were loose in the fermenter instead of in bags. :v: Also, it's apparently the most expensive beer per barrel we've ever made. Well worth it for how well it turned out though!

And yeah, I was floored by the ancho chile BCS myself.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

danbanana posted:

This might be the only nice thing I can say about Black Tuesday: maybe if I let it sit for a few years it won't be so... Brewdog.

Seconding this. I split a bottle of Black Tuesday with Kosher Man and a few other folks at Thanksgiving last year, and all of us thought it was loving vile. It was like drinking acrid, syrupy jet fuel - basically, every undesirable flavor you could get from brewing something super-high-alcohol with a ton of roasted malt. None of us could finish a glass, and by the time we all said "uncle" a good 2/3 of the bottle still sat there. Maybe it was a bad bottle, maybe it just needed a few years worth of aging... but with as many good imperial stouts as there are out there, I don't feel the need to go back to it.

I might be going to GABF with Goose Island this year, but that depends on how many people the marketing department will fund going. I'm on the short list for extra people if they let more in. Keeping my fingers crossed, because I'd love to go and see a bunch of my Siebel classmates again.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Chicago Goons: looks like Upright brewing is doing an event at Bangers & Lace tonight. If you are into Saisons, I would highly recommend checking them out. Unfortunately, they are not pouring any of their regular seasonal beers, but they will have all 4 of their year round beers plus two one-offs.

I really wish I could be at this, but I'm working. :( And my old Siebel classmate Bobby is representing Upright, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

danbanana posted:

Hit a Binny's today and ran across a new batch of Pipeworks' End of Days. Chicago folks: it's not Hunahpu, but it's drat close and a steal at $9 a bomber.

I'll have to grab some of this. I enjoyed the first batch and generally like Pipeworks (even if I hate half of their labels).

In case any of you are interested, I posted a thread in Ask/Tell about being a professional brewer. Feel free to check it out here. :)