Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Lifehack: Work in the brewing industry so you have cheap/free beer forever.

By the alchemical laws of equal exchange, though, you must hand over your back, your knees, and any hopes of a living wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

more falafel please posted:

I'm going to Oktoberfest this year in Munich, has anyone done it and have tips? The Germany thread in D&D (which afaict is the only active germany thread) is just telling me not to go because it's a tourist trap. I know it's a tourist trap.

Go to Augustiner's tent for beer. Get the Steckerlfisch wherever the food is, it's loving delicious. And as much of a tourist trap as it is, you'll end up sitting next to friendly strangers and have a ball. My mom and I went when she came to visit me during my time overseas and it was one of the best times we've had together during my adult life.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Alucard posted:

They're all different due to each line last being cleaned somewhere between 3 months ago and 2 years ago

Ah, the modern solera method.

Also, anybody who puts activated charcoal into a beer is not only making it taste awful but loving up people's medications, and should be loving slapped.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Who's drinking or brewing good freshies these days? I'm 3 out of 4 fresh-hopped beers in for the season (Idaho 7 harvest is in about two weeks) and our first fresh-hopped beers (both Strata) are coming out this week. Fresh-hopped Hopotheosis is as juicy and rich as ever, but the fresh-hopped cold IPA I brewed for the first time is giving Hopotheosis a run for its money. They're delicious but gently caress are freshies a lot of work. I can't wait until fresh hop/competition season is over so I can get some loving rest.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Jhet posted:

Because it's the most magical time of the year in the PNW.

It's a fair amount of extra work doing it, but it's hop flavor explosion when you get it and done right. Up until 3-4 years ago they never even sent the fresh hops east of the Mississippi.

I've seen fresh hop/wet hop beers from places like Three Floyds as far back as the early 2000s, but it is definitely primarily a PNW phenomenon. Places like Yakima Chief are coming up with more and more interesting ways to preserve and ship them these days, though. Hell, I was working at Lagunitas back in 2015 when they were developing the process for Contents Under Fresher, where they could basically pulp fresh hops with deaerated water and store them in near-freezing temperatures for several months. It wasn't quite as potent as using them fresh off the bine, but it was definitely a nice bit of fresh hop character you could get almost any time of year.

Having come from Chicago, the PNW is definitely a bit... self-absorbed about its beer trends and traditions.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

I just scored a bottle of BCBS Rare 2010 for $50. I dont know whether it's worth just drinking or max profitting it at this point because tickers are going to tick.

Just keep tastin'.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Tonights beer is Zombie Dust, since it was just chilling with BCBS and Pliny the Elder in a desperate attempt to be 2016 again. Its pretty decent but it honestly just tastes like a lesser version of Lizard King

How's Hopslam this year? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Mahoning posted:

We just started selling a new NA beer brand called Best Day Brewing and I tried 3 of them yesterday. One was a West Coast IPA, one was a Hazy, and the third was a Kolsch.

No joke, the Kolsch was maybe the best NA beer I’ve ever had. If I didn’t know it was an NA, I probably would have assumed it was just a run of the mill Kolsch. So if you happen to see it anywhere I highly recommend it.

We sell these at our brewery too, since NA beer is pretty much beyond my reach. It's pretty popular!