Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

codo27 posted:

They had goose island beer at a restaurant here we went to earlier this year and it was the most foul brew I've ever tasted. Irredeemable

They managed to keep making well regarded high end stuff even after getting bought by InBev 10 years ago so I’ll give them that. I wouldn’t order any of their “regular” beers if it was on a tap list though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I still wouldn’t go on a busy day. We went on Columbus Day and both draft lines were 20+ minute waits and two drink maximum. Wednesdays and Thursdays are chill.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That’s a shame. New Belgium always has fond memories for me because they had no distribution in New England until they opened the Asheville brewery in 2016. So it was a big deal when we finally got the famous Fat Tire.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Athletic Light is 25 cals and not bad at all.

Hopefully getting bought out by a megacorp won’t gently caress em up because I love their stuff.

Athletic has always been pretty corporate in my experience. They raised a lot of investor money on “craft beer + non-alcoholic + shippable.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It was funny in Amsterdam going to a craft beer bar that was 75% American stuff, and only big breweries of course.

(We only went there because another bar had a challenge where if you went to the three other bars they owned and had a beer at each in one day, you got a free tshirt.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Long long ago I was in Chicago and ordered a “three-twelve” and they gave me a look.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We are the “beer folk” in our circle of friends so get a lot of beer themed gifts for Christmas / birthdays. I swear, every attempt to make a dessert / candy with beer just makes the dessert worse, or at best is unnoticeable.

We had some fancy beer caramels las tonight and they just tasted like caramels with a bitter aftertaste. Also, not a gift, but beer ice creams tend to have the same problem. Just nasty bitterness.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.caiusfarmbrewery.com/our-story

quote:

Our founder, head brewer, and owner, Caius Mergy, found his love for beer during his final year at Middlebury College in Vermont, where he studied Classics (Greek and Latin language).

This passion continued while he obtained his Masters in Classical Archaeology from the University of Oxford,

Tell me your parents built you a brewery without telling me your parents built you a brewery.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh yeah, those Roman character drawings for each beer did not work for me at all. I feel kind of bad because Greek/Roman aesthetic could be cool but just feels like a cheesy Italian restaurant. Also the fact that they built a brewery on land that used to be a farm doesn’t make it a farm brewery.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We went to San Diego in 2017. Time flies.

The Stone Brewing World Bistro is very large and impressive and had good food. Lots of $$$ spent there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok, well that escalated quickly. Slice is suing Shred for allegedly erasing 150 recipes from the computer before he left, having a name too similar to Slice, and I guess taking 40 cans of beer that were earmarked for a beer contest?

Yikesaroo

Is this a case where the brewmaster left the business guy? Those always get super nasty.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aka why I’m glad Russian imperial stouts don’t have calorie counts.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lol yeah what’s the point of a kegerator? If you really love one particular beer that you can get in mini kegs?

Otherwise reminds me of the growler problem where it’s a way to take four pint of a draft beer home but then you have to drink four more pints of that beer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Small breweries that are only open Fri/Sat/Sun aren’t reallyviable businesses right? They only work because the owners work all their spare time and the costs are low.

Idle thoughts as I sit at a five year old brewery that has three customers on Friday at 6 PM on a long weekend.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Craft cocktails exist so that places without a real bar or bartender can have more options. I can’t imagine them ever being more than that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No flights, fine, probably giving up free money there but your choice. No samples, I don’t understand, is washing glasses that hard?

I guess Treehouse and similar places don’t do samples but those are just lines for beer, not bars.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of our local bars does half pours of anything for half price which I always appreciated.

Another does short pours for some beers for half price plus $1 which is more confusing and seems like a lot of work to manage on their menu.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ignoring any tipping discussion because I’ve been on the internet too long…

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised about any random policies from a small business owner like a brewery. They can be completely arbitrary just because they got annoyed at one person one day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reminds me of the mug clubs that give you 20 oz for the price of 16 oz.

I do not want 20 oz pours out of a ceramic mug.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That is a remarkably unpleasant color.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s a sad visual putting a 12 oz bottle of Festbier into a 0.5L mug. A little bit over half full on this one given where the measuring line is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Turns out it’s only an 11.2 oz bottle. Thanks Europe.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Guiness 0 and Corona NA (with a lime) are the ones I would be fooled with. All the IPAs, no matter how good, just are obviously different from real beer.

The Hoplark 0.0 Hop Sour is also weird enough that someone would think it was just an odd sour. 0 calories too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Comparing it to local places like Otherhalf and Mortalis, it's laughable that their BA beers are like $28+ for 16oz of sugar liquid and lactose that dont taste nearly as good, clean, or full as Laganitas at $0.18 an ounce versus ~$1.50 an ounce. Go gently caress themselves.

Worst part is they you have to buy those blind and hope you didn’t waste your money on something that is a one-off. Or buy two bottles and really hope it’s good.