Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Portland report so far.

Cascade totally rocks and despite the prices on bottles, I feel that I don't miss New Glarus' fruit beers quite so much anymore.

Green Dragon (literally across the street from Cascade) rocks if you can get over the fact it's owned by Rogue. Buckman had something called a "black saison" which I don't know what's in it but it tastes like you'd expect from that label and was pretty spectacular.

Bailey's Taproom really rocks -- the selection is good, the prices are good, and I'm a sucker for digital beer menu boards. A stereotypical Portland hipster gentleman was so drunk there that he gave me $10 apparently for being from Bend and watching his beer while he was in the john.

I'll see about the Apex tonight.

I know you're probably not in Portland anymore but last time I was there for work I stumbled upon Hop and Vine. I thought it was a pretty nice little bottle shop with an equally as small bar/restaurant. You can buy a bottle and bring it over and they'll chill it for a dollar.

Bought a bottle of Parabola in July I think, drank it at the bar and had a hamburger with a fried egg on it. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

swickles posted:

Thanks for the Tampa advice guys, I will post pics if we actually do the brewery tour. We might not, since I have seen enough breweries and would rather spend the time in the tasting room.

I second Datz', their food is great and they usually have a pretty decent draft selection and some vintage bottles.

There is also New World Brewery on 8th in Ybor. While it's not a brewery, they have some good beers in bottle and on draft as well as a great smoked bbq buffet during lunch during the week.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
CCB posted all the important information about Hunahpu's day minus the guest tap list and any special barrel aged variants they'll have.

quote:

The 4th Annual Hunahpu's Day Release Party is set for Saturday, March 9th at Cigar City Brewing. This will also be the 2nd time Hunahpu's Day has been featured for Tampa Bay Beer Week.

Gates will open at 7:50am. Draft beer will start pouring at 9:00am. Breakfast will be made available when the gates open.

There will be several food trucks on site throughout the day. The full list of food trucks and vendors will be available soon.

There will be no parking at Cigar City Brewing on March 8th and 9th. Instead there is a lot across the street at 4005 W. Spruce Street. There will be signs indicating where to park. That means the Friday before Hunahpu's Day there will be no parking at Cigar City. This will give us plenty of time to set-up and make sure everything goes as smooth as possible for Hunahpu's Day.

To receive your bottles of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout, you will need to get a wristband at the entrance of the festival. You will be ID'd as well, and you will receive an additional wristband indicating you are 21+ years of age. The wristbands are ABSOLUTELY required for purchase of Hunahpu's bottles and will be cut off of your wrist by an employee upon purchase. If you lose it we are very sorry but this is non-negotiable. Wristbands are handed out on a first-come-first-serve bases while supplies last, limited one per person.

Bottles of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout are 750mL (25.4 FL OZ), and will be sold for $20, CASH ONLY. Bottles will be sold at 3 locations in the lot.

There will be a 3 bottle limit for the first 4,000 guests. They will receive a special wristband. The next 1,000 guests will be limited to 2 bottles and will receive a different wristband. You can only have one type of wristband.

Bottle sales will start when the last wristband is given out, or at 12:00pm, whichever comes first. At 5:00pm, sales will open up to the general public with a limit of one case (12 bottles) per person. If you have a wristband, you are ONLY guaranteed your bottles until 5:00pm!

We are going to sell special tokens for $5 a piece. These tokens will be good for ANY purchase on Hunahpu's Day, excluding food trucks and non-affiliated vendors. This means you can use a $5 token to purchase any beer, bottle, merchandise, etc., of equal value, inside the tasting room and outside. So in essence, a $5 token is equivalent to a $5 bill. There will be several booths selling tokens scattered around the lot.

There will be more draft beer stations available than last year. We're going to feature many guest beers and plenty of special beers from us. A full draft list will probably not be available until the week of Hunahpu's Day.

Live music will start at 11:00am. There will be several bands throughout the day. A full list will be announced soon.

I'll be flying down from WNY for my first time at Hunahpu which is surprising since I fly down there at like 3-4 times a year to visit friends. I know someone posted earlier about going, but anyone else going now?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm driving from Ann Arbor Michigan. Granted, my girlfriend and I are staying with my grandparents (in Palmetto, 40 minutes from Cigar City Brewing) and we plan on going to Universal Studios Island of Adventures, but the trip was planned to coincide with Hunahpu Day. Cigar City is my favorite brewery and I can't wait for the 120+ taps, including J. Wakefield beers (Dragonfruit and Passionfruit Berliner!).

Hey Girl Kisser, can we get any hints as to what will be on tap?

I will be flying from Rochester NY for hunahpus day. Should be a great time, plus I have a free place to stay in Ybor and a jeep to use freely. Not a bad weekend vacation!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

Any PA or Ohio goons (maybe even NY) going to the Voodoo Brewery barrel release on Saturday? I've only had a few of their beers in the past and none of the barrel aged stuff but I have nothing else going on Saturday so I thought I'd check it out.

http://voodoobrewery.com/barrelroomcollection-release.php

I'm headed down from Rochester NY Friday night and staying in a hotel down the road with a buddy ($100 total for the weekend, so it's pretty cheap). There seems to be a bottle share that will happen in line or during the day Saturday.

I plan on bringing the following
Terrapin"s Wake N Bake (2012)
SN/DFH Life & Limb 2 (2011)
Ithaca's Flower Power (Fresh)
BCBS (2009)
Cigar City's Hunahpu (2013)

I was also thinking about bringing down 4 different flavors of FiftyFiftys BA Eclipses (EC 12 Year, Old Fitzgerald, Evan Williams and Bernheim Wheat Whiskey) But we'll see.

People on BA are going nuts though talking about getting in line at at midnight or as earlier as 5pm the day before. Keep in mind it's supposed to be in the low 20's at night.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Did anyone other than me end up going to the Voodoo Brewery Barrel Collection event? It went surprisingly smooth with little to no problems through out the release. The time it took to actually get your date called to purchase bottles took a bit but it wasn't the end of the world.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

air- posted:

On that note... had a Voodoo Buffalo Trace Black Magick today that was extremely good. Silk smooth and the dark chocolate flavor takes over your mouth, lingering for what felt like forever. I can only imagine how good the Pappy version tastes. I'd never heard of the brewery since the quantity was pretty tiny:

The dude who brought it said getting this beer involved a marathon bottle share going through an entire night in a heated tent and they even had an open pit roasting a pig :aaaaa:

e: a recap of this release
http://thebeercircle.com/reviews/breweries/recap-barrel-room-collection-release-voodoo-brewery

I was there for the release and it was definitely a good time. The brewery was great for supplying a heated tent and managed it well in regards line cutting.

I wish the bottle share happened at like 7am instead of midnight but whatever. Even with such a small bottle count, you could have still walked in at 5pm that day and bought all but one of the bottles.

Oh, and the PVW BM? awesome.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Here it is folks, the official announcement of CCB's "reserve society" of sorts:

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=48&Itemid=37

I know this was a few pages back but can a member also be someones trustee? I have a couple friends that live in Tampa that I visit a couple times out of the year who would definitely be willing to be my trustee. Unfortunately they're also big beer geeks too, so they'll probably try and get their own memberships too.

Also, can my purposed trustee buy my membership when they go on sale?

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 11, 2013

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I found a bottle of beer in my freezer that miraculously did not shatter and create a mess. It's completely frozen so I put it in the fridge to defrost. Is it still gonna be 'good' when it defrosts?

It could be flat when you open it after it defrosts. Glass doesn't expand like plastic does so all that gas had to go somewhere after the beer solidified.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Yes, hello from Ithaca. Flower power is quite good. I randomly decided to come in this thread and say that I used to detest hoppy beers until I had Flying Dog's Simcoe Imperial IPA (single hop). It was eye-opening, and from then on, I could pick out that simcoe flavor in other hoppy beers, and that was my "safe place" for getting into that style. Now I really enjoy hoppy beers (Racer 5 is readily available up this way).

Also, Beers of the World in Rochester has an obscene selection, if that is near your neck of the woods. We have a beer class (yay college) and that's where we get all the weird stuff, like Kelpie Seaweed Ale and BLACK BOSS porter.

Finally, I worked at Brewer's Art in Baltimore for awhile; Baltimore is quite the drinking town, I suppose if I was motivated enough I could write a wiki page for it.

If you guys go to beers of the world, especially for IPAs, make sure you check their bottle dates. BOTW is notorious for having beers just sit on shelves for years. They're also ridiculously more expensive than some of the other options around town.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone else going to the Voodoo's September barrel room release?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I might be going, it really depends on what I have going on that weekend.

I had a good time in March so I'll most likely be going this time as well. I already booked a room at the Days Inn for Saturday night, although I can cancel it at anytime if something else comes up.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

air- posted:

Has anyone tried any of the "ghost bottles" from Brooklyn? I got invited to a tasting with Garrett Oliver and he is bringing these :aaaaa: I didn't even know these existed...

I have had Wild 1 (Wild One?) at a dinner with Garret and it was pretty tasty. Bourbon and funk if I remember correctly.

The story goes, I think, that this batch of beer started out as Local 1 and got infected. Instead of dumping it, Garret had the batch put in bourbon barrels for a long time. At first everyone thought it was going to taste just as bad as it already did but slowly over time it got better and better till the point they eventually bottled it for Garrets personal use.

Garret was a pretty cool guy to talk to. I asked him if he got any grief from bar owners over Concoction and how awful it was.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

A friend of mine told me that he enjoyed Pappy Black Magick more than Bourbon County Rare.

It seems to be in demand on BA's trading forum. I still have 3 PVW bottles left and plan on drinking 1 of them as soon as we close on our house. Can't think of a better beer to be the first beer in a new house.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I know the first guy with the handle bar mustache. Works for a brewery down the street from in in Rochester NY, Roc Brewing Company. I had to do a double take when i started watching the video.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Recently bought a new house so I still have to build a nice shelf for all my beer but heres how they rest now.

Box labels are not necessarily what is inside. Once I get everything situated I'll post an update!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I have a hard time believing the Grand Mets trade very well. Tenacious Wee, K13, Negro Papi, and Black Magick are all phenomenal though.

I agree, I almost didn't buy the last two gran mets (port and apple) that were for sale after the first release but they were already boxed up and I figured someone at a bottle share might like them.

Their barrel aged Black Magicks and BBVDs are amazing though and there Nego Papi is perfect in my opinion!

Edit: Speaking of bottle shares, for people near or in Rochester NY, there will be one this Friday (Black Friday) at 1. PM for details

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 26, 2013

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

bartolimu posted:

- Cigar City El Murciélago - Double cream ale with lime peel and cumin aged in :frogsiren:TEQUILA BARRELS:frogsiren: Hey Dontdrinkbeers guy, drink this loving beer and tell me aging in tequila barrels is a bad idea. You won't be able to, because El Murciélago is utterly fantastic. There's no agave present in the aroma, but it's there on tasting. It mixes well with the cumin and lime peel. Balanced flavor all around, good mouthfeel, everything works. It's an interesting beer because it doesn't try to ape the margarita like Sister Maryrita; it goes in a different direct and delivers a fantastic beer. This was probably my favorite of the night.

This beer always reminds me of this particular BA review.

Some BA Review posted:

Bottle at CCB.

A - Pours a burnt orange color, off-white colored head, sticky lacing, thin collar, thin cap.

S - This bottle was opened with 5 other guys. Upon my initial sniff, one thing came to mind. I glanced around at the other guys and gauged what they were thinking. I said, "It smells like a certain thing." AgentZero then spoke up and said "I'm not going to say what this beer smells like." Right away, I knew exactly what he was thinking. This beer smells like vagina...no lie.

T - After the smell, it's nearly impossible to pick out anything else. It tastes like vagina. Sip after sip, I couldn't stop. :-) I thought about chugging the rest of the bottle, then thought better.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, creamy feel.

O - I bought 6 cases after I tried this...okay, kidding. Seriously though, it smells and tastes like vagina. Is this good or bad? I guess it depends on how you roll, homies. Very...unique? I guess I could have given the taste/smell of vagina a 4.5, but not really sure I could drink pour after pour of it. Maybe I'm not all man?

I like one of those two things. I'll pass next time on the beer.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

swickles posted:

Well, its no different than growlering a beer. I agree that the label is misleading, but unless a state law specifies that a growler may not be capped, then it isn't in violation of any law. In Florida (one of the most draconian states allowing growlers) you have to put a label on the growler specifying what it is, even if its written on tape or the growler itself (CCB growlers have a space for writing on it). Other places have stickers they slap on. Its just a fancy label on a growler that happens to be sealed by capping instead of a screw or swing top. Again, the bottle capping may throw it into a different part of the law, I don't know.

And you(Florida) only do 32 oz or gallons if i'm correct.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
KisserGirl, I know you guys just posted your Hunahpu's day details and are probably flooded with stupid questions on FB and BA but I have one or two of my own! Will catador members get to buy more than one ticket? I already booked tickets to tampa for that weekend and I have plenty of friends down there with memberships and I just want to alleviate some potential stress on having a flight for an event I can't go to.

I know it was stupid to buy flight tickets to an event that really hasn't been made official yet but I did.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I don't think they will be transferable. We're going to try really hard to avoid the secondary market on these. Catador members will only be allowed to purchase tickets for themselves, so if someone shows up with someone else's name on it...they aren't getting in.

Thanks for the preliminary info. I'll be flying down to Tampa the last weekend of January as well, visiting friends and definitely the tasting room so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a Huna ticket then. Its just unfortunate for people like me who shared a membership with someone (who lives in tampa) but it is what it is. I'll still be in Tampa in march and not the winter wonderland of WNY.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

quote:

We've received lots of questions and concerns regarding the name on the ticket for Hunahpu's Day. We hear you! The member name is no longer required for entry to the fest. Let's go over the plan again...

1. Beginning Monday, January 13th at 10:00am Eastern, 1,500 tickets will go on sale to members. Each member may purchase one ticket per person. This sale will end on Tuesday, January 14th at 9:59am Eastern. Each member is guaranteed one ticket as long as it is purchased during this time.

2. Beginning Tuesday, January 14th at 6:00pm Eastern, the remaining tickets from the original 1,500 will go on sale to members. Each member may purchase one ticket per person. This sale will end once tickets are sold out OR on Monday, January 20th at 9:59am Eastern. These tickets are not guaranteed and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Tickets sold during this time will still need to be tied to a membership, so you will need to enter the member name and membership number at the bottom of the order screen (just like you've done for bottles sales in the past). However, you can purchase these tickets and give them to your trustee or your neighbor or your pal or your celebrity crush or your grandpa or whoever you'd like and there will be no problems.

Looks like CCB updated their ticket info again today for those who were interested but not paying attention.

To clarify, it appear that anyone who knows someone with a catador number and knows that person is not going to Hunaphu day could share their membership number to a friend and they can purchase a ticket on the 13th. Is that correct?

Because I'm currently sharing my membership with a friend who lives in Tampa where we split bottle purchases and he'll obviously take the first member ticket (on the 13th). However I have a friend who is also member and lives down the road from me in WNY who wont be able to make it down to tampa this year. Could he share with me his member number to use and I could then purchase the ticket myself with my credit card and get into the event?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Speaking of events, this is the spreadsheet for the Peg's event the day before Hunahpu Day. They're also going to have a dozen+ Rare/Rarer DOS variants (last year they had coconut, peanut butter, vanilla, hazelnut, chilis, and smoked versions):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtkaHLCqI1JedF9oa215OHY4SmtOSkl4bUxfei1qelE#gid=0

Last year they also sold 120 bottles Nooner batch 2 (RareR DOS with Vanilla) on a first come, first serve basis

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I was lucky enough to get two last year, right before the ran out. It was very good, better than Bourbon County Vanilla at this point but not as good as Vanilla Dark Lord. Hopefully they do a Nooner release again this year.

Me too! I actually found one of the two in my cellar. I dont know how I forgot about it but I plan on opening it soon, hopefully it's not terrible and I mistakenly ruined a great beer.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
In September I finally closed on a house and began moving all of our junk from our old apartment to the new house a few miles down the road. Since I was good friends with the landlord and the basement at the old place was used exclusively by me, he said I could leave my stuff down there and move it when I wanted. This stuff consisted of mostly beer. Once we got the new house pretty organized, I got in the truck and started to load it up.

Having no shelves in the basement, all the beer found its way on to the floor (Note that the cases do not reflect whats in them. No I'm not cellaring glass bottle Jai Alai!)

In the front of the house there is a large bay window and under it was the old cistern. The previous owner left an old fridge in front of it and the "shelf" they made was terrible.

I cleared everything out and moved the fridge out of the way and picked up some 3/4" PT ply and got to work.

The only issue is that I have way more beer than I thought I did to fit on this shelf in any decently organized manner. I tried to put all the different vintages side by side and quickly ran out of room. Then I started to combine some vintages where I only have a few of each and that saved a bunch of room but still not enough. I've resigned to the fact that I'll have to make some shelving to hold the rest of the bottles because I barely got into my 22's and 750s.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Haven't even tried to plug it in but it's old and almost definitely power hungry. Plus our utility company will pay us $50 to recycle it. They even come and pick it up too! I'll just use that money to buy some lumber and make some additional shelving.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
In Tampa for the next few day, headed to Cigar city tonight and hopefully pegs tomorrow! Staying in Ybor for the Vaca so there's always Tampa brew Co too

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
How did these extra bottles work in the past for the out of town members. Were they able to purchase them with their member number and their trustees pick them up within x amount of days? Or did the member who purchased them have to be the one to pick them up?

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 30, 2014

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

danbanana posted:

That's... odd. Is the case availability open to the public? The tweet said the 1pm-4pm sales are for attendees of Huna Day. It seems weird to limit the people that are actually attending to 3 but let others get 12...

The event goes till 5, no? If that's the case, the limit guarantees you 3 bottles and you can probably buy them whenever you're there and go home when you're done sampling/drinking/throwing up.

If this is right, I bet if there are any bottles left after 5pm, it'll be open to the public/tasting room.

edit: corrected the time it ends.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 6, 2014

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Klaus Kinski posted:

Stuck in a crappy hotel over the weekend, found a somewhat cheap solution.

PYF good beer in lovely places!!

Is the hotel so crappy that they dont have an ice machine on any of the floors so you have to resort to chilling beer with 60degF water?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
You're going to need more beer.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

broom posted:

Need help planning a trip for late spring/early summer. We can either stay overnight in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo.

I have not been to Bells or Founders, so which ever one we choose will hopefully be the highlight.

Criteria of interest, (in order of importance):
-Which one will (likely) have more stuff that I've never had before, they don't need to be whales by any means, but also don't want to drive to MI for Two Hearted and Reds Rye.
-Hotel in stumbling distance of either Founders or Bells
-Other good/great bars nearby
-Other breweries maybe (I know Vivant is near Founders)

Depending on time, we might try to hit the place we don't stay the next morning, so if one is way better for just trying a few samples and getting growlers to go, that could be a factor. Also it will be a Thursday night. Thanks goons!

Where are you coming from and where are you planning to go afterwards? As in "I'm coming from cleveland then headed up to Canada" or "I'm coming from chicago and headed back home aftewards"

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I've found that Voodoo in PA has done a fine job in their past two releases in terms of controlling lines and accommodating their customers with bathroom, a tent, heat and food.

That said, it's not a ticketed event yet and magnitudes less people. 350 people versus 3500(*3) people.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 10, 2014

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

We may still have a beerfest type thing at the brewery next year, but in no way will we release bottles. I don't think we'll ever do any sort of bottle release again at the brewery. The Catador Club was created to avoid all this, but we always told ourselves "well, with the exception of Hunahpu's Day. That will suck, but at least it's only one day." But it's really not. It's months to plan and lots of hours overtime working and it still sucked. So, no more.

A beerfest by itself would probably work fine only because there's no profit incentive for many potential attendees so they're not interested.

I was there and I had a good time because I immediately acknowledged the situation and what was probably going to happen. Because of this I didn't even try to wait in line for the coveted beers. I found stuff like MAZURT's stuff which was wonderful and zero people waiting in line.

I also went and bought my bottles right away because any dolt that could see should have put 2 and 2 together and realized that there were going to be way more than 3500 people in there (this was around 1:30 where the end of the line still wasn't in sight).

While everyone has their own ideas of how this should have been handled and I'm sure the majority has voiced them already, I do want to comment about your plans for the future.

I dont think CCB should do this again on their property. You have way too many places to just walk on to the property allowing people to just walk in and get samples if they wanted to. I saw volunteers pouring samples in to pint glasses and if that's the case, I doubt they were looking for a bright colored wristbands.

Yes, there could be some guards at the dirt bridge over the sewer but the whole length down the side street is pretty much wide open.

Out of curiosity, did you guys keep the paper tickets to compare how many of them were repeat tickets and if some dick had like 20 extra tickets.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

LeafHouse posted:

Did you make it to Hunahpu's day but missed out on your allotment? Did you sit on your rear end at home all weekend drinking IPA's until you could no longer taste bitter? Well fear not because I am offering a limited time promotion to you fine beer loving goons!

:frogsiren:FREE DOUBLE BARREL HUNAHPU :frogsiren:

I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time so I landed nearly a case of these bad boys.

Just go fill out the Google doc on this page and I'll pull a name at random sometime during the week. You must have a reasonable number of posts in this thread to enter. Offer valid in the USA only.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Zfla-n13AjfeEUvXw5GveLhWKE1WV5933_xsLN6EHRs/viewform

Awesome stuff man. I got my two bottles this weekend from the club and I got my allotment so I'm not entering but like everyone else has said, this is an awesome thing to do.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Retemnav posted:

Last night I cracked one of my four remaining Westys from the US box release. I've been meaning to pull it out for a while now, since it's well over a year old. I also have a Abt 12 and Rochefort 10 that I bought at the same time for comparison purposes and I originally was gonna do a side-by-side, but I decided that drinking 3 10+% beers on a Wednesday night was probably a bad idea, so I plan on having one or both of those tonight or this weekend.

Lots of yeasty bread notes when I cracked it and a huge head on the pour. Very carbed, which I don't remember from the bottles a year ago, at least not to this degree. Despite the nose, I don't get a lot of bready notes in the taste, just a hint in the background. Mainly some rich fig. The high carbonation was distracting, as holding it in my mouth to savor resulted in a lot of fizzing, instead of the smooth mouthfeel I'd expect. Despite that, this really is a wonderful beer, and I'm really interested in seeing how the Abt 12 compares tonight with a year on it, as it was my favorite when I compared all 3 last year.

I had the exact same reaction when opened my first bottle from the US pack (I haven't opened my remaining 2 I have). Super carbed to the point that it felt like I was drinking pop rocks. Having never had a bottle of Westy 12 before, I asked a friend who has had it several time over if he's ever experienced this in any of the bottles he's brought home to which he said he has not.

Even last year at hunahpu's day, some guy walked up to my friend and I and popped open a US release Westy12, poured some for himself, handed us the bottle and walked away. It too was super fizzy and my friend commented that all of his bottles he's brought home have never reacted like this.

Aside from that, I've never bothered to look online to see if others had that same complaint. But it appears we're not the only ones who have had this issues.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

wattershed posted:

Westy 12 from the U.S. bricks. I opened my first of these on my birthday last year and told myself I'd open one every six months to last me a total of eight years, as I rallied up 16 bottles when they were released. Bottle #2.

This started really boozy tonight but is calming down and opening up well. Ultimately I think I'm ready to call this my number three quad behind Rochefort and St. Bernie respectively, but that means this is still simply outstanding instead of reaching perfection.

Did you find yours to be very carbonated? Almost too carbonated?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Doesn't DC have bizarre distribution laws?

Edit: Way late!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

americanzero4128 posted:

The Binny's by me (Downer's Grove) put on their Twitter that it was in stock as of yesterday. Haven't stopped by there to check on this yet, no idea on price, but it seems it's already in stores.

A Wegmans in WNY had them for 28.99 as of yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I'd like to know if I can sign up and pay under my friends name and member number that we split last year. He has no problem picking the bottles up but doesn't feel like partaking (ponying up the cash) this year.

"John Doe, Member 0001, Atothesquiz's email, credit card, and billing address". I know it would still be listed on his name which both him and I are both fine with. It was originally listed in his name because he lives in Tampa and I dont and he would beable to utilize the 10% off that he paid for.

Girlkisser, any ideas?