Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Vertigo posted:

Heading down to the new Troegs location tomorrow :) Looks to be a decent drive, but nothing too crazy, and they have some new stuff on tap from their Scratch series as well.

I was at their old Harrisburg location and really liked it, cant' wait to see what they did down in Hershey

It is like Beersheypark. You'll love it, especially compared to the '60s public school building they usedta be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Here's what I think is a pretty decent competition

The one to the right is the new double IPA from Backcountry Brewery in Frisco, CO, not that I imagine most of you care. It's pretty great, though

KBS was the first time I tried it ever (and thanks to Corbet for trading it to me). So, for that matter, was Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout, a 17.4% monster that has been aged in first-used bourbon barrels for six months.

It made for a really interesting comparison. Both were really awesome, of course, featuring complexity that I can't even imagine from any other beers and being just as fine to smell for a good while as they were to taste. I think the main difference was heat. Uncle Jacob's tasted like every bit of its alcohol, and that was tough to get used to at first (I'm sure this will get better with age), while KBS was smooth and belied pretty much all of its flavors pretty quickly. On the other hand, Uncle Jacob's had a distinct chocolate flavor right out front which was both pleasant and helped to balance out the alcohol/bourbon/etc. flavors pretty well after a bit, making it pretty even with KBS's bourbon/coffee action after a little bit.

Edge to KBS for now but that may change after a few months.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Y'know, I'd like to ask that same question, 'cos Hopslam tastes totally unique to me along those same lines. That bit of sweetness to it. I'm surprised no one (that I know of) has tried to copy that part of it.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Meanwhile, I hear that if you work at NB for a year you get one of their bicycles and if you get 5 years' tenure you get to go to Belgium :allears:

I doubt they'd be any more union-friendly if it came to that, but there is definitely something to the philosophy of investing in happy workers having huge positive effects on the company and its product.

quote:

Thanks for the Uncle Jacob's review. So it's worth trying?

I think so but in retrospect I probably shoulda sat on it for awhile instead of passing it around fresh.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Clown Shoes began to distribute in TX just before I left. I think this is chiefly because somehow they're connected to the owner of Petrol Station, a beer bar in Houston -- the owner was looking for a partner for his zany brew-out-of-state scheme and he found it with them. (TX beer regulations are such that if you're defined as a "brewpub" then you can't distribute to stores.)

I don't think they're crap, but I do think they're pretty "average," which is frankly below average these days.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 12, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hey remember all those lovely things I had to say about Brett Dream a month ago?

I take them all back! Nowadays, the horse crap smell is gone and it's this wonderful bit of refreshing funkiness! I'm glad I gave it another shot -- they claim two years of effective cellaring and I wonder how'll it go from here.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Corbet posted:

Why does it seem like everybody on the Internet has access to tons of Cantillon except me?

Because they all brag about it :v:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Had some Shift earlier. I'm beginning to believe that New Belgium cannot do any wrong.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Honestly it mirrors most craft beer drinkers, in that once you've gone through the phases of Bud/Miller/Coors, into mild British offerings like Newcastle, Bass, Guinness, then into IPA land, then into big Russian imperials and barrel aged monsters, finally culminating in funky Belgians, sours, and off the wall poo poo. Then you realize I really like to drink well made German lagers and balanced session beers, I don't always need to drink 12% 120 IBU DIPAs.

Hey how did you guess my beer history so accurately like that? Just when I'm getting back into pilsners, too...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Back in Houston now, and wow, how much has changed. My local walking-distance watering hole's selection would have been considered an IPA hop nerd heaven a coupla years ago, but now it's pretty normal apparently for bars to have at least the IPAs from all kinds of Houston and Austin breweries on tap. It certainly goes with the stagnant night air pretty well.

It seems like there're two breweries that are trying to go all Belgian-style in Austin now. One is Jester King, which has BA street cred out the rear end and has been going all Brett in the past half year-ish. The other is Adelbert's Brewery, which has a homepage right out of 1998 (and labels from about 1978) but do some seriously awesome poo poo -- I had the Naked Nun witbier of theirs and it was among the best American versions I've had.

Also a new beer bar opened up just a few blocks from me that has this frequent-drinker program in action; IMO the best version of this sorta thing I've seen so far. Educate while filling your gut.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 23, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Out of the two Texan tripels I've tried, I do prefer Adelbert's to Real Ale Devil's Backbone. Since you were at Hay Merchant, I figure these had to be on draft? I haven't seen any of their beers on tap in North Texas.

Adelbert's doesn't go out of Austin much quite yet apart from the occasional keg, judging by what I hear. Devil's Backbone has always been a favorite of mine.

The Hay Merchant is a place I want to like a lot, since it's at the same street I live on and their selection is spectacular by TX standards; also the dudes I talked to there knew their poo poo and were massively enthusiastic. But man o man are they expensive. $6 seems to be the base price for most beers. Part of that is due to their being in the gay trendy part of Houston, I'm sure, but nonetheless it's rough. I'm sure I'll go there a lot regardless though.

BTW Lazy Magnolia in MS now distributes in Houston. :woop:, I guess? I like their base amber as a session beer a lot, at least.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

I'm gonna be in Madison for two weeks starting this Sunday, where should I go?

If I could butt in, definitely go to The Old Fashioned -- 52 WI beers on tap, most of which you'll never have heard of, and great food to match it.

Ale Asylum ain't bad to visit either.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The Texas Beer Fest in Houston is this weekend. There are so many similarly named beer festivals in this state; this is one of the "lovely" ones, or at least it was last year.

I don't really wanna go because I have a feeling it'll be understaffed and overcrowded again, but it'll be a chance to check out all the new breweries in the hinterlands of Texas.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Just be on the lookout for the next Camp Beer events. I'm good friends with the organizers and they always could use volunteers (aka, you get in for free, you pour beer, and it's cool to partake).

Yeah, I got to talking to Mr. Floyd the first time I visited the Hay Merchant (I cam when it opened up at 3pm so it was pretty empty) and he told me about this. I intend to goto the next one, definitely, especially since HM (presuming they hold it there) is like a 10 minute Metro ride from me.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I'll take New Glarus's fruit beers over DL every time.

There, I said it!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Having an old Schlenkerla Marzen that has been lurking around the back of my fridge for the past year-ish. It made me realize that I've had a lot of US-made smoked beers, but none of them, IMO, come even close to this one -- something I feel a little bad about because I just traded some Left Hand Smoke Jumper to ol' funkybottoms and I know it's one of his favorites.

Maybe it's the brand name messing with my head; I dunno.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I already have too much beer-vessel-ware :cry:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

After being back in Houston for a few weeks, have a coupla things to say.

One, wheat beers are by far the best beer for this place.

Two, Karbach's is the best in the universe, and I'm not going to allow counterarguments to this.

(I should also note that I really want to like Adelbert's, trying to be a Belgian beer outfit in Austin and all, but nothing I've had from them has tasted quite right to my palate. Too much time hangin' at the Funkwerks probably. Hopefully time 'n experience will cure that.)

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Saint Arnold wins three :clint:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Aumuller posted:

Any of you going to Copenhagen Beer Celebration this friday? I have a ticket, but none of my friends got one before it was sold out, so now I'm wondering if I should sell my ticket or if it's any fun to go alone?

What I find at events like these is that once I have a couple I am rapidly making new friends, and so is everyone else I come with, so we lose each other until the very end anyway.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

global tetrahedron posted:

Yowza. You can sure put them down... I think 10 3.2 beers would wreck me, let alone a 10 % abv RIS...

I used to do that sort of thing. I stopped for two reasons: one, that's pretty plainly alcoholic behavior; two, I usually found that I would go to bed and then wake up to find something like an open bottle of some really good imperial stout that was only a quarter emptied before we all passed out.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Coulda sworn someone said earlier that one could age Hopslam, or was that just more "it still tastes ok if you have one kicking around afterward"?

'Cuz if not I'm totally busting out my last one tonight.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

nwin posted:

Holy poo poo, St. Arnold Endeavor DIPA is loving amazing...finally a reason to be happy I'm stationed in Texas for the next two years. Too bad it's not a year-round brew.

Um actually it is! It's the year round version of Divine Reserve 11, and I agree, it is great and shows that when they feel like going that way and not just selling endless Lawnmowers for the Hank Hills of the world, they can totally put out a world-class beer.

On the extreme end, I just had a bourbon barrel aged version of Karbach's imperial porter, and it was also pretty fantastic. Going to that brewery tomorrow, and totally looking forward to it.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

They're all great, I think, but only in like 4oz increments each. Don't try to drink a full bomber of any of them, or else you will hate yourself for the rest of the evening.

Ehhh so now I'm having my last Hopslam of the year. Still awesome. Seems to lack a bit of the honey which I thought was the best part of it at this point, but all the same, I still think it's my favorite mega-IPA ever, even after all the competition I've had through the past year-ish.

edit:

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 19, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Anyone had Jester King's Boxer's Revenge? Someone sent me a bottle in a trade yesterday and I'm not sure if I should be excited or disappointed.

Their first run of it was way undercarbonated, which is amusing because JK became notorious for a while in Austin for extremely overcarbonated bottles. It's definitely got that funky thing going though and I think it's the best beer of its kind from where it comes from.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Midorka posted:

I just discovered Jester King's Le Petit Prince and I want it, even if only for the book it was named after. Please distribute to NJ soon!

Best under-3% beer ever. Sadly I doubt they'll ever escape the friendly confines of Texas. Except I'm wrong!

I'm glad to see all this JK love today especially because a lot of TX BA nerds like to player-hate on them these days. They're an all "farmhouse" outfit these days, chiefly because their joint got entirely infected -- whether this was deliberate or not depends on who you hear the story from. Either way though it means the Black Metal on the shelves now is the last, and so I'm getting a lot for safekeeping.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 1, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I still remember that Classic exchange last year in the Let's talk beer thread of old:

Me: Zomg I'm at southern tier and having a sample of the creme brulee and it is soooooo fuckin' awesome!!!! I'mma buy two of these!!! :v:

ShaneB: lol you are dumb

Me: Oh god you're right I'm having one of the bombers now and I can't finish it oh god I want to die :cry:

I wonder about the countless thousands of beer drinkers who underwent this same process.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

thesteelhellion posted:

Since moving back to Little Rock last week, I've realized how much I missed Diamond Bear. The paradise porter is outstanding.

Plus you can get Jolly Pumpkin! Screw you!

Bosco's was awful tho.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Taxi to Coors Field.

Walk to Falling Rock, Star Bar, the River North Brewery, and Great Divide. If you somehow want more beer after that, then goto Freshcraft and Wynkoop.

Also The 1up, assuming there ain't a line out the door, is fun.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Guyyyyys let's not go down this route.

You know in 2005, when I first moved to Houston, I could drive to all the decent beer joints in a day and then drive back home. I can't do that now, and that's a great thing. As air mentioned earlier there's a joint along the light rail, Mongoose versus Cobra, which is just the latest of a number of joints to pick up on the beer "trend" around here.

Not that we get a lot of stuff which the rest of you folks have heard of apart from the regulars, but at least Karbach in Houston put out a saison earlier this week and I'd say it's up there with the other US saisons I've had, definitely.

Still wouldn't mind being in CO right now but still.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sixpoint is getting distributed in TX :woop:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The list is generally CA/CO-biased.

Plus no Texas :mad:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Cross posting this from Facebook for sheer :stare: factor. Sadly (for me), Crooked Stave is moving from Fort Collins down to Denver and taking all their barrels with them. The upshot should be much greater capacity going forward.

Whoooooa. Wanna ride dat beer barrel express.

CS is imo the most hardcore nerd brewery in CO and I'm glad they're (he's) been successful so far.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Jahoodie posted:

Sixpoint is fighting with Brooklyn right now for my favorite NYC brewery. Brooklyn has such great special brews, but I much prefer Sixpoint's standard lineup.

100% agree.

Hosting a bottle share this evening (paring down the cellar before I move), we'll see how it goes...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I like Pumking and if you don't then I'm not inviting you to any of my cool kid parties :colbert:

Even I must draw the line at the Creme Brulee Stout tho.

Ps. I have little further to add about CO's beer scene, except to recommend two small ones. Crazy Mountain is in Vail and is about the most authentic "brewery run by mountain man stoner bums" place I can think of. Frequently if you go there, customers will be outnumbered by dogs running around among the equipment. The beer's good, too, tho sadly they only can the boring pale ale etc.

Colorado Boy in Ridgway works among similar lines, but makes a lot more effort at being eco-conscious, to the point of getting their brewing water from solar collectors on the roof. The guy also runs a program where you pay him like $2000 and he'll give you a two-week-long boot camp on how to operate a small brewery, and I think there are a number of alumni who are running joints here in TX at least.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 3, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

zedprime posted:

I just don't like pumpkin beer so I'm mostly kidding. For those who like it it is probably like shower beer where at first glance you wonder what went wrong where you must enjoy a beer in the shower, and then you try it and its like, its better this way.

I, uh, have never heard of this. In what situation would one do this?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

lazerwolf posted:

Ugh not the Great Pumpkin Beer debate again. The only good pumpkin beer I've had was Night Owl by Elysian.

Well, I don't mean to pick on your beer tastes, but plainly you are F of S :colbert:, because I had that same beer and it tasted like just any ol' beer to me.

See, that's the thing I guess. If I want a "pumpkin beer," I want something that really does taste like serious pumpkin pie; maybe I was spoiled by Pumking in that respect.

Out drinking in Austin today; I had the beers from the newly minted South Austin Brewing Co., the latest in a number of breweries to open up here. They had a very good saison, I think. They are starting really big (50bbl system), but for some reason they are charging by far the biggest prices for bottles in this state. I mean, people used to think Jester King charged a lot, but they are charging like $16 for a bomber of a very basic (tho good) kinda saison, and that's just ridiculous.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 3, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

ShaneB posted:

It's loving JULY jesus christ stop talking about pumpkin beer. We went through this last year, and maybe the year before if I was talking in the beer thread then.

Well I think it was mostly you talking crap about Pumking two threads ago that made this topic into "a thing" in the time since actually!

:mmmhmm::neckbeard::bigtran::neckbeard::mmmhmm:
(in jest of course)

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Or be a normal functioning human instead who doesn't base his or her weekly schedule around beer
:goonsay:

Anyway I'm in Austin at the moment and I would say the Black Star has stepped their game up in recent months (tho the food was always good). The Whip In never fails at being weirdly awesome too.

From here I'm off to bump around downtown/Sixth Street and drink a lot of Lone Stars with folks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Was a pretty neat place -- the beer is the usual Austin selection, but the food's good and the location is pretty awesome. Here is the view about 10ft from the bar