Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
It's been a wild couple weeks for beer here...from Dark Horse Tres and Fore (loved them both...awesome stout accented properly by what tasted like very legit blueberries on the former and nice smoke on the latter) to Double Trouble (not digging it as much this year but still have respect for it...I remember it being crisper on the hops) to Nugget Nectar (same opinion as DT) to Weyerbacher Insanity (aMAZing) to the Sixpoint Resin (eh...kinda off-balance from what I'm used to in a D/IIPA; maltier and the aroma hops bow too much to the bittering hops) to the The Brew Kettle Dark Helmet Imperial Schwarzbier (AKA black lager...very nice and bought for the reference alone) to hopefully KBS tomorrow.

Also...turns out I can get more of the Ghost Scorpion Lager...they have six singles on the shelf and I think they ran out of regulars to sucker. I have no real idea how available this beer is or what, if any, the demand might be, but check the trade thread if interested.

Midorka posted:

What the heck, Dogfish Head's Tweason Ale has nutritional facts on the side? Well here goes 170 calories.

Edit: Oh god the aroma is pretty drat sweet, but in an unappealing odd way, it reminds me of some artificial strawberry syrup. It reminds me of a wine cooler each sip, hello Seagrams Escapes. Never would I buy this again.

Huh...weird. I had a sip of a friend's tonight and could only compare it to a fruit flavored mead. A bit dry, definite strawberry taste, but not too offensive for what I figured I was getting myself into.

SHAKY DEFENSE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Kudosx posted:

TBK just started to put Dark Helmet in 4 packs, pretty awesome! They also started to put their IIPA Old 21 in 4 packs. Previously Dark Helmet and Old 21 were only available in 650ml bottles. I really enjoy both, and I'm glad that TBK is getting distributed quite a bit more nowadays.

I wish they'd increase their production even more... I don't think ANYONE can keep White Rajah stocked. It sells out every place it gets put on shelves within a day or two.
True on the Rajah. In the beer store I stop at most, I eat away at their stock when I get a chance, and it's only been once a month the last couple months or so. The stuff is sublime, I made my opinions known on the last beer thread. I haven't seen the Old 21 in 4 packs yet though, but hope to soon.

SHAKY DEFENSE fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 8, 2012

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

The Dregs posted:

I have really been getting into trying out beers recently. I love stouts and malty beers, but I really don't like strong hoppy flavors and I can't stand IPA's. I was at a big liquor store the other day and I asked if they had any Corsendonk (I loving love that stuff, but it's too expensive to drink often). They brought their local 'beer guy' over to get it for me. He is this skinny dude with huge hair and a thick beard. He heaves a big, sad, sigh and asks me why I would buy that stuff when they have Bernardus.

"Because I like it?"

Another big sigh as he slumps off to fetch it from the back room. When he comes back he mentions that he is starting his own brewery-Burnt Hickory something or other, and that I should check them out. I agree to look for them. He says that they will only be brewing "real" beers. I ask what a real beer is. He says real beers have lots of hops...cascade, and a bunch of other hops names I can't recall.

I told him I am not into IPA's, but I'll certainly check out his website.

Another huge sigh. He says, "You're really gonna have to get over that, man. All those other beers are for Bud drinkers.

I guess I met my first beer snob. Do I really have to get over it? Do I? Because hops taste like Pine Sol.
I know I'm late on this but hell no you don't need to get over it. As much as I might enjoy and talk/write about hoppy beers, I'm pretty happy that others exist...even lagers. And I know plenty of people I'd consider proper beer drinking folk that don't share my tastes.

But do realize that in drinking any beers that aren't the basic swills that the lowest common denominator are used to, you will be exposed to many a hop...sometimes in the most cunning of ways. And you very well could develop a taste for them.

<sigh>

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
So Brown Shugga' is back this year. I hope we get a Holidays Rock beer or something too this year.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Mahoning posted:

Does Three Floyds make any bad beer? I just had probably my 5th or 6th different 3F's beer (Broo Doo) and all of them have either been outstanding or just pretty drat good.
I don't really know, I'm just trying my first Three Floyds right now...Arctic Panzer Wolf. I dare say it's a pretty perfect IIPA!

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
Stopped by the beer store today but there were too many Bastards there so I had to leave.

But of course I bought a couple before I did.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Midorka posted:

Back on beer talk, how the gently caress can Lagunitas get away with Brown Shugga being so cheap? $10.49 for a 6 pack of a near 10% abv beer? I can't imagine they make a lot of profit on this or do they use enough brown sugar to make a huge dent on the malt bill to save cash? Also I'm glad to see Sierra Nevada Celebration is out, $8.49 for a 6 pack here as well, hell of a deal.
For people that really talk to their beer manager and take their beer as seriously as me, it's only $9.99 a six pack :colbert:

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Mahoning posted:

Just learned via Facebook that Columbus Brewing Co is gonna start bottling Bodhi which is their DIPA in late January or early February. Fantastic news as that's one of the better DIPAs I've had but its hard to find it on draft. Their regular IPA is pretty great too.

I've "learned" a lot through Facebook too. I would love for this to be true, please understand the only reason I'm skeptical is that there have been rumors about this for a few years. It would be cool to see some sources since a quick glance at their FB page revealed very little (nothing) about what you claim.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Drythe posted:

Currently looking for where I can buy Great Lakes Christmas Ale. You would think it would be easy to find in Ohio, but apparently the stores don't want to stock it.
I can assure you stores are just fine with stocking it, but they can't control the rush of madness every time it comes out. Some store at least try, limiting it to one 6 pack per customer, but then those stores have to put up with entitled jerks that don't understand that if they didn't do it that way, there wouldn't even be one sixer available for them when they arrive.

It usually drops on Wednesday or Thursday and it's gone by Saturday at the latest. The number of cases stores are receiving each week since the beginning of the month have dwindled from 60 to 15 to 10. Not sure if any more will be out next week. Great Lakes just doesn't have the capacity to keep up with demand, and I wonder if they would if they could because they have to love they hype. And hype is even hypier if people are empty-handed.

What you could do is say "gently caress the hype" and enjoy some Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs instead. It's actually the original Great Lakes Christmas Ale recipe, seeing as how Thirsty Dog was started by the Great Lakes brewmaster, and he took the recipe with him. AND it's one dollar cheaper and I believe a bit stronger. Or Southern Tier's 2XMAS, which is spiced quite phenomenally. Or any of the other dozens of Christmas Ales that are out right now.

Or wait until the middle of next week and try your luck again. But please don't blame the stores...blame the hype.

Mahoning posted:

It was actually in the comments of another post. Some random guy commented on something and said "Yeah but when are you gonna start bottling Bodhi?" And they actually responded with late January/Early February.

Edit: it's in the comments of their most recent post about fresh hop IPA
Thank you for this, my hope is restored!

SHAKY DEFENSE fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 18, 2012

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Drythe posted:

That was quite insightful, thank you. I had tried it on tap a few days ago and it was quite delicious. I'll try searching for some Thirsty Dog if I can't find Great Lakes anywhere. I've never had Christmas ale before and I kinda wish it was available year round now.
Great Lakes Christmas Ale showed up at the beer store down the street (Kenny Road Market) yesterday, might be a good day to look.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
Gotta love how there's so many breweries out there that you only catch up to some after a few years of taking the red pill. In my case, this year it's been He'Brew. Trying some Origin tonight and though my wife still yelps at hops and can taste little else, the pomegranate flavor steals the show for me. I can only remember the initial impression of Sweet 16 that I had because "drat!" Before that was Lenny's and before that was Hop Manna. This has been a pretty good year for beer.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Jahoodie posted:

I was at an event, and while quite drunk I think the Rep was saying He'Brew and Coney Island come out of the same brewery?

The special edition stuff I tried from both was great, but the normal lineup is "eh" at best for me.

Yep, Schmaltz. I've not tried any Coney stuff yet.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Kudosx posted:

So I talked to the guy in charge of the beer selection at a big chain of grocery stores, and he said he talked to his distributor, and they said that Zombie Dust is going to be a product "regularly" available in OH.

When he told me this, he even quoted it... because I think everyone knows it's not going to stick around long on shelves when it's here. Apparently his stores are getting 1 case each, across 4 different stores, so I'm hoping to be able to grab at least one six pack. He said it seemed as if he will be able to get more very soon, but I guess we'll have to wait and see about that.
The place by me got two cases but they still limited it to two bottles per person. I shouldn't complain too much though...I got my two bottles and enjoyed them thoroughly and am happy to hear it might become a semi-regular thing. Citra ftw...

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Kudosx posted:

I had a vertical recently of Big Bad Baptist, I had batches 2, 5, and 9. As you could imagine, as Big Bad Baptist ages, the coffee flavor begins to drop off. I would describe Batch 2 as drinking a coffee flavored bourbon, where as 9 was more like drinking bourbon flavored coffee. Batch 5 was a very nicely balanced barrel aged coffee stout, and what I would imagine many people would enjoy... it was aged 6 months. My personal favorite was Batch 9, because I tend to favor very coffee forward stouts.

You sir are living the dream, love that stuff! I'm not sure which batch this last one was but it is pretty amazing, just the right bit of bourbon to all that boozy coffee and chocolate goodness.

I am trying Palo Santo Marron for the first time tonight. But wait, it gets better. I'm trying the 2012 along with the 2008, While watching the video from that 4-pack. They keep talking about their wood a lot...heheheheh.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Macasaurus posted:

So I just saw the Samuel Adams spring package at the store yesterday.......

Anyone have a line on when Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye will be released?

It's shipping out to stores now. You should see it in the next week or two, or you could go to their release party tomorrow if you live nearby.

E: they have a beer locator: http://www.sierranevada.com/beer-locator
Looks like it's on tap right down the street from where I live right now.

SHAKY DEFENSE fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 5, 2013

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
And then there's this BBA Siren Noire from Heavy Seas...

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Kudosx posted:

Enjoy By is unbelievably good. I feel like the main reason I like it is because of the aroma, but drat, the flavor is really wonderful as well. The aroma is unbelievable though, from the moment you open the bottle, you can smell it. It just smells so much like grapefruit/pine that it's nothing short of spectacular. I'm pretty harsh when it comes to rating IPAs/IIPAs, but this is probably in the top 10 IIPAs I've ever tried, truly.

All of the places I've found '13 Stone IRS in OH so far also seem to have not gotten in Espresso... I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy! :ninja:

Enjoy By was a pleasant surprise. I didn't think it would be coming back so soon, but I'm thrilled it did.

I heard we might get the Espresso in next week or the week after. The distributor that takes care of Stone at the local bottle shop comes on Wednesday so I will be checking.

Did you try the Double Simcoe yet?

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
Does Victory's Storm King seem polarizing to anyone else? It seems like the few mentions I've made or heard about it have led to reactions of either disgust or appreciation with no indifference. There is a certain bitter funk to it that I don't really know how to describe, but I like that funk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

crazyfish posted:

Found some Abrasive at my local store and picked up a four pack. Why is this beer nearly twenty dollars for four pint cans? At least it's cheaper and better than Pipeworks bombers.

Also, I drank a six pack of Founders Centennial last night. Does anyone else get an odd onion flavour out of that beer? I don't get the same flavour from Two Hearted.

Maybe the hops ended up in a wild onion patch, or possibly even a Summit.