Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

God drat if that Sierra Nevada Hoptimum isn't one of my favorite IPAs. I typically ignored Sierra Nevada, but do they make anything else I should try?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any of you guys have suggestions on a nice beer shop in San Francisco? I frequent Ales Unlimited, Healthy Spirits and if I *have* to The Jug Shop. Any other ones I should look out for?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I haven't tried many things by Deschutes, but goodness their Inversion IPA is one of the best IPAs that I've had in a while. I like it better than that Enjoy By 12/21/12 Sone that just came out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How are you guys drinking your Westvleteren 12? I chilled mine for about 20 min in the fridge after sitting in my room for the whole day, and it's not too shabby. What do you guys (for those lucky enough to score one I guess) think of the beer? There has been a lot of talk about getting it, but no one is talking about drinking it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

7thBatallion posted:

Just got a growler filled up last night. How long will it keep?

About a week? I typically try to drink my growlers within 2-3 days though. I'm sure they last longer, but I like to play it safe.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

poo poo man, I really want to enjoy 21st's beer because they're brewed locally here. But I've tried everything that that've ever released (that I found) and all of it has been subpar. I've tried Fireside Chat, Hop Crisis, Bitter American, Live Free, High Hell Watermelon, Back to Black and Allies Win. I'm never going to try one of their beers again.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So, I do not drink many dark beers. But because of the recent craze for the Westvleteren 12 I decided to venture out and drink some darker beers. I picked up a few bottles of Black Butte Porter, The Abyss, St. Bernardus Abt 12, St. Bernardus Abt 8, Three Philosophers and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I like them all very much aside from the Three Philosophers (it's good but not as good compared to the rest). What else should I venture off into?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anybody have any suggestions or an FAQ on how to age beer? I recently acquired a few bottles that were supposedly very good aged. Also, does anybody have any suggestions on what beers I should age?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I guess I should consider myself very lucky since I got into the brewery with an one hour wait. I waited in additional hour to get a table to eat.

I was able to pick up a growler of Blind Pig. I wanted to pick up on their Sours but the board on the wall stated that I couldn't get any sours in a growler.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I'm sitting here, drinking what I believe is my first ever barleywine from Dogfish Head called Olde School. Since this is my first one, I'm not too sure if this is a good benchmark for a good barleywine. It's a bit too sweet for my tastes, but its so complex in terms of other flavors. Any suggestions on any other good barleywines?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

D34THROW posted:

but the 6-pack box of it had Heineken Light in it for some drat reason.

You're in the wrong thread. :colbert:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Let's talk beer 4: It's nuts to butts.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So, I recently got a promotion at work and I decided to act like a kid in a candy store.

Edit: Not pictured, some Stone - Enjoy By and some Ommegang Hennepin.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 7, 2013

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is anyone having trouble getting any Firestone Sucaba? I don't know about the rarity of the beer, but the few shops that I frequent tell me it's a bit hard to get. Although, I stumbled upon another shop today that had 3 cases of the stuff, anyone need any help getting some?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hello fellow Goons! I'm going to be taking a road trip up north to Portland, what are some essential breweries that I should hit up? I don't know much about what that particular city can offer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

crazyfish posted:

Which Portland?

Oregon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I finally got my hands on some Bomb! by Prairie. It's been hyped up for me for a long time, and while it's *very* good, it didn't blow my mind away. I like Victory at Sea by Ballast Point more than this. Is there anything else out there like that?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm very tempted to pick up this Bourbon County Stout. I live in California so I never see these things on the shelves. Unfortunately, the shop that is selling it, is selling it for $20 a single bottle (not a bomber). I've paid for expensive beers (Bomb! for $15), but for some reason this urks me a bit.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Zam posted:

That's bullshit and definitely don't pay that. Are you in SoCal? PM me if so.

Love your user avatar. Sadly I live in San Francisco. Gonna steer clear of that super mark up. Gonna continue the hunt.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks guys for not letting me pick up that BCS for $20. I went to my local shop and they had some in stock for $6. Also picked up some The Abyss 14'.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I live in San Francisco and can't seem to get my hands on Founder's KBS. I can seem to get their other major releases but not the KBS. How much are they for a bottle typically? A rip off beer place has them in stock, but $10 a bottle... I don't know if I'm willing to pay that much.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Gotta try the KBS. I've had lots of good stouts and this one is one the the popular ones that I haven't tried.

I've had many cans of Ten'Fidy. One of my favorites. Next to The Abyss.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Was able to finally get my hands on some Founder KBS. Picked up about 6 bottles. Meh, I should've probably tried one before I picked up so many bottles. While the beer is good, it's not up to the hype. I like their Breakfast Stout much better.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a wishlist of beers I want to try, I don't think it's anything that would be too hard to get inside of their respective cities. Basically stuff from the East Coast. I don't have anything super rare or even rare to trade for. How would I go about getting stuff like that? I'm looking for stuff like Hopslam, Heady Topper, Sip of Sunhine... stuff like that. I live on the West Coast, so the only stuff I can get that even "on that level" is Pliny, and everyone has tried Pliny.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

mrcowcow posted:

Where on the west coast? I'm sure you could find someone who would trade those beers for stuff you have access too. Heady and SoS don't demand as much as they used too. Hopslam came out in January, so it's done for the year at this point.

San Francisco area. Any suggestions as to where I can go look for beer trades?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Huh. I've had a bunch of Rare Barrel stuff (friend is a member) and Cellarmaker is on my short to go list. I guess I'm a bit spoiled since these didn't even pop into my mind.

Speaking of clubs, Rare Barrel and The Bruery both have clubs; what are good brewing companies have clubs similar to this?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Founders Azacca is a very good IPA. I think this is the first time I've outright smelled papaya.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone going to this Rare Barrel event?

https://www.therarebarrel.com/product/Another-World

Apparently, City Beer Store and loving Cellarmaker are having events on the same day...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Finally got to Cellarmakers. poo poo was great. Picked up a growler.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Some people take their beer wayyy too loving seriously.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Cigarettes and Coffee is out! The line isn't too bad. It's a very nice day out. There is some sewer water outside that smells terrible in the loving sun.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

get any of the dipa they released at City Beer Store? the line looked like it was pretty long.

Yeah. Got some of that too. Keg died about 5 minutes after got there. They are currently re tapping now. 300 steps is solid. Although, I wouldn't wait more than like 10 minutes in like for it...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

Most recent release was fairly bad - there were around 240 people in line by 11 AM.

Oh gently caress that.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What's good from Pizza Port? I've had their Pick Up Six and whatever their session is and was very disappointed.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

This is why I'll never get to try cool stuff.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Deschutes has an epic urinal.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Who the hell thought that was a good idea? I can see it working in an arcade bar though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anything good come out of Wicked Weed? Anything that I should go out of my way to try? They're doing a tap takeover and I'm wondering if I should head out there.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

There are too many beer places. Too many beers to try. Cellarmaker is putting out too much good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Pay day is the best day.