Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

Either I got a bad batch or TASTEBUDS but Resin is way too syrupy and sweet for my tastes as a DIPA. Sucks I was really looking forward to this beer being awesome

I tried Bengali Tiger and was expecting it to be halfway decent, but I thought it was one of the worst IPAs I've ever had. I wonder if this is because it wasn't refrigerated at the grocery I picked it up at? Either way, it was completely terrible, and I've been hesitant about picking up Resin after trying Bengali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Ugh. Double ugh. I went to my local store 45 minutes early that was supposed to be getting KBS in a little bit ago, and no one seemed to be there lined up, which I thought was weird.

I then asked an employee what was going on with the KBS release, to which he replied "Oh, I was never told what that beer was, or that we were doing a special release for it, so I just put it out on the shelves earlier when I got in, and now it's all sold out".

Time for me to start driving an extra 30 minutes for releases. I got dicked over by this same place for the Curmudgeon's Better Half release...

I'm sad now :(

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

Edit: The manager had explained to the staff not to touch that box because it was all reserved through it's e-mail list.

Yeah... the manager at my store definitely didn't tell this kid anything, but he also was a bit of a moron to not realize that there was something special about the beer they received only one case of.

He made the comment "I don't understand why we only got one case of this stuff, we get over 10 cases of everything else". I then told him it was a really rare beer and that it's only released one day a year, to which he blushed and then looked a bit embarrassed, poor kid.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Pre-pre-game Sculpin

I really want to try some Ballast Point stuff with all the talking you guys do about it! I'll be drinking Hopslam tonight.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 17, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I tried Hopslam for the 2nd time last night. The first time I tried it, it was from the first batch this year (I believe), and I didn't think it was anything that spectacular.

The batch I tried last night was bottled 2/15/12 and it was absolutely phenomenal. It wasn't quite as sweet as the first batch which I had tried, and I enjoyed it much more as a result.

I almost wish it was lower ABV so I could drink more of them because it's so drat delicious. I drank three last night, and then made the mistake of opening a fourth. I got about half way through the fourth and realized I was way too drunk and should cap myself off if I wanted to be able to stand during the concert... I'm probably just a huge lightweight though, I don't drink all that much despite loving the suds.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

deadwing posted:

Can't really go wrong with Sam Adams Noble Pils, especially now that it's year-round. The only stores around me that carry them are Wal-Marts, and I feel strange going there specifically to pick up a beer that I can't get anywhere else.

Yeah... one time I looked at Wal-Marts beer selection and kinda chuckled. Their craft brew selection consists of: Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and usually a regional brewery (for me, it's GLBC)

Not that I was surprised or anything, it's Wal Mart after all...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Also I had The Brew Kettle's Old 21 IIPA. Very good. Similar in taste to White Rajah. Not sure if its worth the extra money (9.99 for a 4 pack vs 10.99 for a 6 pack of White Rajah, it is 9% ABV instead of 6.8% though) because I still think White Rajah tastes better.

I prefer White Rajah more, but Old 21 is really good, too. It definitely costs more simply cause it's higher ABV, and as a result it's more costly to make.

I feel like you get more TBK near you than I do, and I'm pretty sure I live closer! The whole problem is people buy stuff up super quickly around here when it hits the shelves, so unless I happen to check the store every day I usually miss it.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Well the last 4 times I went to the grocery store I only found 4 C's and no White Rajah. On Monday I found a single bottle of WR and 1 4 pack of Old 21. So it definitely goes fast and sometimes I get lucky. I'm sure Kroger has some buying power too, since it's the largest grocery store chain in the country.

Have you tried 4C's yet? I've only tried it once, but I thought it was really good. Probably my favorite brew from TBK behind White Rajah, and Old 21, respectively. I haven't tried many APAs to compare it to, so I'm not entirely sure how good of a judge I am of the style.

Edit: For whatever reason I decided to look up the reviews of 4 C's on BA, and one of the reviews is absolutely hilarious.

"A tasty beer, but a bit pricey at $10/six pack. It's not a terrible price, but I would have this all the time if it were a bit cheaper."

Really? $10/sixer is pricey for ya? Maybe you shouldn't drink good beer.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 21, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Docjowles posted:

$10 is on the high end of what I'm willing to pay for a beer that isn't a limited release or barrel aged or something. When I can get a sixpack from a world-class brewery like Deschutes or New Belgium for less than $8, yes, $10 is pricey. Not outrageous by any means, but pricey. Sorry for being a poor plebe who has expenses in his life besides booze.

I live in OH and we have some of the lowest living costs in the country and the cheapest *good* beer I can find is $9/6 pack.

Either way, I don't think an extra $2/6 pack is anything outrageous. The brewery that produces the beer I was talking about is extremely small, and I think people are even lucky to be able to buy their beer in stores across OH.

I'm honestly blown away that Deschutes stuff costs less than $8/sixer. I've never tried anything from them, but from what I understand is that they produce a lot of world class stuff. The "cheapest" beer I was talking about is from GLBC, everything else is $10/six or higher. I often find myself paying $11-$13 for six packs. OH also has some of the best beer distribution around as far as selection wise, so I'd think that beer would be a little cheaper around here. I guess we just don't have the stupid amount of breweries in such a small geographical area, like you do on the west coast.

Edit: gently caress, of course the last week and a half of the month when I'm broke as hell my local store got in some Sculpin. I've never seen Ballast Point at ANY stores around here, doh! I hope they get some in again sometime...

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 21, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Angry Grimace posted:

They only started distribution there like three weeks ago, so that would be why.

Ah, that makes sense. This is the first I've seen any of the stores around me get it in (I check facebook/twitter pages religiously), so hopefully we'll get Sculpin in somewhat regularly!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Catch myself paying 10-12 for 4-packs :suicide:

Same! I also live close to Hoppin' Frog, who has some of the most expensive non-limited release beers around, so I often pay $8-$12 for a bomber of stuff I can get anytime I want :smith:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Darth Goku Jr posted:

You follow Warehouse Beverage on facebook too I see.

Indeed, they are the ones that got in the Ballast Point. Did you pick any up?

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 22, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

crazyfish posted:

Considering XV is something like 70% barleywine, I'd say that's about right.

I've still never drank a barleywine. Is there any barleywine that there is a consensus is good fresh?

I always hear people saying that X or Y barleywine isn't worth half a drat unless it has a year+ on it. I'd buy a bottle or two of barleywine and age them for a year, but I'm drat impatient, and I'd hate to buy something and wait around a year, only to not enjoy it.

I've heard that barleywines are quite a bit like wine, and I'm not the biggest fan of wine, so I've been rather hesitant.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Docjowles posted:

They aren't really wine-like at all, except in strength. You aren't going to mistake it for something other than beer. Sometimes there's some sherry or port character that develops, but it's still hops and malt driving the flavor.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. The two people I know that have drank a barleywine before told me they are like wine, but they're not beer nerds at all, and really have no clue what they're talking about.

I think barleywines, and saisons are going to be my next endeavor.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have any good bars *too* close to me, but I'm going to be visiting friends up in Cleveland next weekend and I should be able to stop at a good bar, or two, and hopefully try some samples of a few styles I've never had.

I always have the problem of only ordering IPAs/Stouts when I go to bars because they're my favorites.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Angry Grimace posted:

Abacus is readily available right now, as is Old Guardian.

I had heard that OG isn't that great when it's fresh, so I avoided purchasing it when I saw it. We also don't get any Firestone Walker in my area, which really bums me out, they're one of the breweries I'd really like to try something from.

I was looking on a bars website that I might hit up this weekend and it looks like they have '10 JW Lees Harvest Ale, and Avery Hog Heaven. I've heard good things about JW Lees, what do you folks think about Hog Heaven? I'll probably try both.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

Both. First from a glass because I wanted to see what it looked like (just after the lacing obviously). After that straight from the can. Both were good not too much detectable difference.

It's hard to say if this, or Surly Abrasive is my #1 on my "Want to try" list.

I am just glad that every time I hear about someone trying it, they say it lives up to the hype.

It looks pretty yellow-ish from your picture, is it?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

danbanana posted:

Abrasive is so, so good. Lucky to have it on tap once and it ranks as one of the 10 best beers I've ever drank.

Random question: did you actually try it in Minnesota, or did you get to try it at a random Surly event?

From what I understand, they very rarely distribute outside of MN, although I read that Churchkey's (or something like that?) in DC recently had a Surly event.

I really want to go to VT for a variety of reasons, but I can't think of much of a reason to go to MN other than Surly.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

nuncle jimbo posted:

Man if you guys all wanted abrasive so badly you should have said something a month ago. We were up to our rear end in it in Minneapolis and there's all kinds of stuff we don't get.

I've been debating trading again or not, shipping is so drat expensive when trading a bunch of beers. I've only traded once, and it was $50 to ship a dozen beers. Factor that in with the cost of $60-$70 for the 12 beers, and you're looking at $10/bottle on average.

I definitely am glad I traded, because I got to try quite a few beers which I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, but the cost involved has made me hesitant to do it again.

Next thing I trade for is definitely going to be some Surly, or possibly some stuff from VT, or CCB.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of Saison de Lente tomorrow, so I can give Saisons a try. Saisons don't seem to be on tap very often anywhere around me... although I'm pretty sure that's how it is most places. It doesn't seem to be a style that you would drink every single day.

I'm also hoping to stop by the bar and try a few Barleywines, but I'm not 100% sure that's going to happen with how my schedule looks for tomorrow.

What do you folks think of Lindeman's ? I have also never tried a Lambic, and a few local stores get in several kinds of Lindeman's Lambics. How similar are Lambic's to Wild Ales? I tried to read the description of both, but I'm still a bit unsure of how similar they are to each other... although it seems like they are very alike. I've tried some of RR's Wild's and enjoyed them quite a bit, so I'm tempted to pick up a Lindeman's Framboise next time I go to the store.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 24, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Darth Goku Jr posted:

A wine is a vintage when it's all from a single year's crop. For ports and champagnes, many releases are a blend of several years worth of wines, so a vintage year is not put on it. Not to say these blends aren't excellent products. Exceptional crops lead to not needing blending, so there you go, a vintage champagne. Gueze by it's very definition of blending young with old batches of lambic cannot be from a single year. I'm all for the fluidity of styles in beer, and that's realy how the art of brewing progresses (IMO). It's just the style of gueze means such a specific thing that there is no way around it. Call it reserve, call it Grand Reserve, call it whatever, but 'vintage' is a profoundly misleading term.

I'm no expert, but I think it's *really* loving stupid to compare wine and beer. There are beers with like 15 different types of hops, and they sure as hell aren't all being harvested at the same time, let alone when the barley is harvested for the malt.

The beer that even started this stupid rear end discussion says 'vintage' on the label, so get over it.

Edit: In other news, it would be pretty cool if I could find a Gueuze to drink side by side with the Lindeman's Framboise I'm going to get.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 25, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Hypnolobster posted:

So, I bought some Sculpin today..

How much does Sculpin generally cost? I've heard it's kind of pricey compared to some IPAs. $18/6 pack kinda stuff?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Hypnolobster posted:

I got it from Northcourt Beverage in Medina (ohio. I seem to remember you're from clevelandish sort of area?) and it was $10.99 for a 6 pack. This is the first bit of Ballast Point to show up here, I believe.

Oh, wow, for some reason I thought it was quite a bit more expensive than that. I also just found out about a new possible beer stop for me, thanks to you!

Looks like I might be swinging by there tomorrow after I stop by Lizardville to pick up a bottle of Saison de Lente.

Also: I live in Wadsworth, so we're basically neighbors. Cheers!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

If anyone goes to Burlington Vermont I highly recommend going to the farmhouse tap and grill. Amazing beer selections, they even have an extensive cellar collection. I had hill farmstead society & solitude #3 dipa and stillwater Bordeaux barrel aged autumnal which is their amber farmhouse. Both amazing beers

How was the Society & Solitude? I'm curious if Hill Farmstead IPAs live up to the hype, as I've heard really good things about them.

I know you said it was amazing, but how would you compare it to say... Heady Topper?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Quiet Feet posted:

Wife and I took a long weekend up there last year and I want to go back because I feel like I barely scratched the surface. Maybe I'll even manage to snag some Lawson's Finest next time.*

*(This will not happen.)

I heard that most stores that carry Lawson's Finest in VT get a weekly shipment on *Fridays... so if you show up on the right day, you might just be able to find some!

I also heard that it's usually gone by Saturday afternoon...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

That's some pretty crazy price gouging, geez.

Yeah... if any places around me were to try to do insane price hikes like that, they wouldn't be in business for very long because nobody would shop there.

It's nice to live in poor states sometimes!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

My local grocery store just got Sculpin in and they're selling it for $15/6 pack.

Yeah, I just came to post that I'm pretty sure Hypnolobster got a mispriced 6 pack. I just got back from the place where he got his Sculpin and it was $14.99/6 pack, not $10.99.

I'm pretty glad to have stopped by that store anyway, great selection, including a bunch of beers which I haven't seen anywhere else (Victory and Stones versions of Saison du Buff, and Stone's collab with The Bruery/someone else).

Unless this Sculpin is absolutely mind-blowing, I am probably going to agree with you and stick to the White Rajah for $10-11/6er... it's such a phenomenal beer for the price, it deserves the world class rating it currently has on BA.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

CalvinDooglas posted:

Is that White Rajah stuff available in New England? I"m going to NH next week, though I may not have cash for more than Deviant Dale's.

I think White Rajah is only distributed around OH, although it might make its way to PA, and MI, not sure.

Sculpin is really, really good, but just as I predicted I'm not 100% sure it's worth its price tag compared to other local beers I can get. I will probably pick it up again because it's really good, but White Rajah is definitely what I'll be looking for until Fat Head's starts to distribute Head Hunter in May/June.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Vertigo posted:

So, my local bottle shop is getting 1 case of each of the Cigar City/Bruery Dos Costas beers(3 varieties I think), ... are these worth tracking down?

Edit : This is the message she sent me.

I heard that all of three of the beers are really fantastic, especially the one on grapefruit. I'd definitely pick them up if I were you!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

A friend who isn't into craft beers bought me a Magic Hat 12 pack to welcome me to my new place, I accepted even though they're poo poo. Their Vinyl, an amber lager of sorts, actually wound up being excellent for the wings we were eating. It curbed the spice a lot and was easy drinking. It was poo poo by itself, but it definitely worked well with wings.

I don't mind Magic Hat at all... I don't buy it myself, but I would gladly accept a free 12 pack!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

I was talking to the guy at the Alchemist Cannery about the hop profile for Heady Topper. He mentioned they use hop extract, is this really a thing?

Yes, beers it's also used in include Pliny the Elder, and Hop Stoopid.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

Do you usually use it to boost IBU beyond the limits that you could normally get from actually boiling hops? I figure you'd hit a saturation point with normal hop utilization and this could push you past that point?

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, yes. I heard that this is the reason it's used in Pliny the Elder.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

Or, if nothing else, force his rear end to stand in line for you at the next few rare beer releases and pay for the haul.

This sounds like a good demand.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Can any Chicagoons tell me what the availability of stuff from Half Acre is like? I have a friend going to Chicago on Sunday, and he'll be coming back Monday, and he said he would be willing to pick me up some beer.

I was just wondering if it was available at Binny's, or if he would have to stop in at the brewery on Monday. I'm hoping for him to pick me up a 6 pack of Alpha King, and some Daisy Cutter.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Paul Proteus posted:

Daisy Cutter, Over Ale, and Gossamer are all pretty available at all the Binnys.

They may have Baume and Cipher, but the brewery definitely still does as of yesterday.

Thanks! I'm *super* excited to be able to try Daisy Cutter, and Alpha King. It's kind of weird how many really good APAs are available in the Chicago area that aren't available anywhere else (Alpha King, Daisy Cutter, Pride and Joy, Zombie Dust... although I know that's only available in Munster)

The only good APAs available in my area that I know of are Sierra Nevada, and Burning River (which I don't enjoy that much...)

I still need to give Founder's Pale Ale a shot, I bet it's pretty good... Founder's seems to really make good Pale Ales.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 29, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

crazyfish posted:

Zombie Dust is around Chicago, though it's in high demand to the point where one store near me is charging $14 per 6 pack.

Oh really? For some reason I thought someone had said it is only available out of 3F's brewery, I guess I must have misread/misunderstood.

I'm definitely going to give my friend a couple extra bucks, and hope he could find me a 6 pack of ZD. I really, really want to try it... probably even more so than Daisy Cutter, and Alpha King.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Hoppin' Frog is releasing their Imperial Black Ale next week, I'll probably pick up a bottle to give it a shot. Hopefully it's pretty good, their beers are too drat expensive! I just wish they'd put out a few affordable beers.

Edit: I guess they could be a lot worse in price, but still... $6-$18 for bombers kinda sucks, especially when I don't like any of their beers below $9.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Looking at that 3Floyds website, I'm wondering why here in SW Ohio I seem to find bombers of the seasonal 3Floyds brews and none of the year round stuff.

I had heard that 3F had pulled out of Ohio, but I've seen both Behemoth AND Brian Boru in the past few weeks in bombers.

I know they've never distributed 6-packs in Ohio, but I'd buy up every bomber in sight of Dreadnaught if I could....just never seen it.

They distribute Dreadnaught/Arctic Panzer Wolf sometimes, it's just usually a single case to a single store, and you have to know when they get it in...

They also distribute their seasonals, so that is why you've seen Behemoth & Brian Boru. I wish we would get Dreadnaught more often, I'd also buy it up...

The last time I saw some, I bought 2 bottles and it was sooooooooooo good.

Edit: here's the label for the new black imperial black from HF

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 29, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

I found Oksar Blues and most of the 4-packs were $18.99. Is it worth it? I'm not quite positive of the exact brews they had but I'm going to have to see which one is worth getting.

Are you buying beer IN Boston or something? I feel like if you are, you could drive 20 minutes to a suburb and get beer much cheaper. If you aren't, have you tried other beer stores? I feel like some of the prices you pay seem crazy, although you seem to get fair prices on some stuff (12 pack of Racer 5 for $20 is pretty reasonable)

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 30, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

CalvinDooglas posted:

$18 is overpriced, but beer is just plain expensive in MA, plus the long-distance markup on Oskar Blues. I visited a Kappy's (a big liquor store) in the exurb of Ipswich and Dale's was still like $11. Great Divide Bombers were about $10. If Gubna or Ten Fidy are $13 in CO, I wouldn't expect to find them under $16 in MA.

Ah, good point. I just felt like $18/4 pack seemed absurd... it would probably be a similar price in OH if it ever comes here, although maybe a little less cause we're poor 'round here.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Drinking a beer tonight in memory of Mitch Hedberg! That funny bastard died 7 years ago, and is in my top 5 favorite comedians. I wish I had the chance to see him live before he went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

FreelanceSocialist posted:

We got twelve cases this week. One of them went home with me.

Had you tried it previously? I'm wondering if I should pick up a 6 pack over A Lil Sumpin Sumpin'... that's the only American Pale Wheat Ale that I've tried, and I *really* liked it, but I've been thinking about picking up Oberon since my local shop got in a few cases.