Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm drinking a 2007 Brooklyn Monster Ale and there are a bunch of black flecks in my glass. Any idea what they could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Weihenstephaner chat: their hefeweissbier is nothing short of amazing and shame on you if you've never had it, especially considering how cheap and widely available it is.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

lazerwolf posted:

I was talking to the guy at the Alchemist Cannery about the hop profile for Heady Topper. He mentioned they use hop extract, is this really a thing?

Yeah. It's not that hard to make at home if you want to http://www.stempski.com/hop_vodka.php

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I completely missed out on KBS this year but I'm still curious about the style. What are some good bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts I can find in southeastern North Carolina? I've had Dragon's Milk and it was way too sweet for me, tasted more like Bailey's than beer.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My local beer bar had a release party for sexual chocolate. It was good but it wasn't the mind-blowing life changing elixer of a beer they made it out to be. If it was aged on bourbon barrel oak chips I couldn't taste it at all.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Valencia posted:

sourchat: Had a Rodenbach Grand Cru last night, greatly enjoyed that. I likened it to drinking Sour Straws and someone else said it was like drinking Warheads (in a good way). Definitely a good sipping beer, which was good because I got there late and only had time for one so I made it count.

If you can get a hold of any of Rodenbach's Vintage series do yourself a favor and pick a couple up. I had their 2009 Vintage a couple months ago and it was the perfect Flanders Red. Tart cherry and apple with a subtle but complex chocolate and oak character to balance it out. I've had a lot of sour ales over the past year and this one was easily the best.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

No it's a screw top, but it only has like one thread. Too bad I bought three of the drat things.

You can get a more substantial polyseal cap for it. Like this: http://www.baldbrewer.com/Growler-Caps-Black-Polyseal-p/cap06.htm

My local homebrew shop carries them so maybe you could check a place like that.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ColHannibal posted:

Dammit DFH, stop doing this and start distributing 60/75/90/120 to where I live.

Fixed.

On the topic of sessionable beers, has anyone had the Anderson Valley Summer Solstice? One of my local bottle shops got it in and god drat it tastes exactly like cream soda. This is definitely going to be my beach beer this year.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

bartolimu posted:

:smug: :smug: :smug:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I found some Stone IRS for 6.50/bomber at World Market and I grabbed 4 because that price is insane. Was it marked wrong or is this just a gem of a cheap beer?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

quote:

Beer history

This was all pretty interesting. Are there any documentaries that go more in-depth? Or just any beer documentaries a craft beer lover should watch?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

danbanana posted:

Nothing beats 2011, though, when Bell's released it in minikegs. For a friend's birthday, we snagged one. Needless to say, despite about 5 people at the party drinking it exclusively, we couldn't finish it. Too. Drunk.

Oh god, the minikegs. When those came out I was just getting into IPAs and the guy at my bottle shop offered me one for ~$35. I passed on it because I had no idea Hopslam was a big deal :bang:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

I tried once to figure out the Trappist naming convention and failed to find a definitive answer although I found a few.

One thing I'll never understand is why dubbels and quads are dark and tripels are light. Also, if a tripel is light can someone explain why there is also a category for "Belgian Golden Strong Ale?" The only real difference I see in the descriptions are that Belgian golden strong ales are slightly drier and more citrusy.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

clutchpuck posted:

What are your folks' attitudes on adjunct brewing?

Well, the signature of most dark Belgian styles is caramelized beet or date sugar so I'm going to vote yes on adjuncts. Hell, almost all light Belgian styles use straight up sucrose to dry them out.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

escape artist posted:

Things of theirs that I thought were atrocious: Black and Blue, Fort, Theobroma, 120 Minute, ApriHop, Festina Peche, My Antonia, Palo Santo Marron

You take that back, My Antonia is delicious :colbert:

It's definitely one of their "safer" beers so I don't understand how you can think it's atrocious.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

escape artist posted:

What does everyone think of AV's Summer Solstice? Maybe I got a bad batch, but mine tasted like liquified pennies. One of only three drain-pours in my life.

Sweet vanilla cream soda is really the only way to describe it. Personally I like it better in a can for some reason.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yeah but it involves more work than going to the local store :cry:

I can get it at the gas station :smug: Sometimes living in NC isn't too bad.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

danbanana posted:

Step 1: Do something about it.

$2250 in 3 months? That's not a whole lot, in my opinion...

Cue people sneaking away to pour their beer in a bottle to resell a'la PtY.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Retemnav posted:

Sitting at the bar drinking a $6 10oz pour of Mikkeller Warrior Single Hop. Pretty expensive for what tastes like a good, simple homebrew. A line up of a bunch of the single hops would be interesting, I guess, but the individual bottles are massively overpriced for what you get.

I got that exact same impression from the Warrior single hop. Tastes like the first IPA I brewed, too much bitterness, too sweet, not enough hops in the flavor/aroma range. The Citra single hop was really good though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

mysterious frankie posted:

My pet theory is that the people who piss on pumpkin ales secretly like them, but can't admit it to themselves because it's like telling your music snob friends that you heard a funny song about fish heads on Dr. Demento last night.

I always buy a case of DFH Punkin when it first comes out :shobon: That's two goony beer hatreds in one!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Benny the Snake posted:

umm okay then. It's a small bar and grill where I'm going to. Decent selection of brews. I usually drink Sam Adams Boston Lager or Modelo, but I'm open to anything.

Edit: I didn't know if it count but I checked. I've had Guinness and didn't care for it. Really syrupy.

Well, the English aren't exactly lager brewers but if I had to pair an English beer with a steak it would probably be an English brown ale of some kind. Maybe a Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale, it's excellent and pretty widely available.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Duck-Rabbit chat: If you've never had their Schwarzbier or their Baltic Porter you're missing out. Their milk stout is good but I'm kind of bored of it since it's everywhere in NC.

edit:

CalvinDooglas posted:

Having heard so much good stuff about Duck Rabbit, how far east do they distribute?

They're in Farmville, North Carolina so I'd say they're pretty far east.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I saw the SN Beer Camp pack at Whole Foods for $20. Is it worth it?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My brother is going to San Fransisco and he said he'd ship me some beer I can't get here in North Carolina. I've already got Pliny the Elder and some of the RR wild ales on the list, what other west-coast exclusive beers should I have him look for? I love a good IPA but I like pretty much every style. Also, what is the best bottle shop in SF?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Agreed with the previous two posters. It was good but if you've had a brett beer before it's really nothing special.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Potential BFF posted:

I forgot to mention Sierra Nevada Torpedo :siren:CONTROVERSIAL BEER OPINIONS:siren:

How can anyone hate Torpedo, it's pretty much the reason Citra hops exist.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Retemnav posted:

Crooked Stave is now distributing in NC! Wow, I hadn't heard anything about this until I saw some bottle shops tweeting out that they had bottles on the shelf yesterday. Looks like St. Bretta, Surette and Vieille so far.

God drat it, as soon as I move out of the state NC gets Cigar City and Crooked Stave. I'm just waiting for the announcement that The Alchemist, Russian River, and Westvleteren are coming next month.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm going to be driving from Myrtle Beach airport to Oak Island NC tomorrow. Can anyone recommend bottle shops or breweries worth stopping at?

Go the extra 30ish miles to Wilmington. Lighthouse Beer and Wine at the beach and Fermental on the north side of town are both excellent bottle shops.

There's also Wilmington Brewing Co on South Kerr. Great people and incredibly good beer considering their tasting room doors have been open for a little over a month. On Fridays they serve a firkin of their weekly experimental/test beer. Get the Sneaky Goose DIPA if they have it. Also, check out Front Street Brewery if you're looking for a brewpub, the food is excellent and their Dram Tree Scotch ale is one of the best ones I've had.

If you're looking for a bar with a huge selection, check out Cape Fear Wine and Beer downtown. Thursdays are Randall night if you're into that kind of thing.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

RiggenBlaque posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some brewery came out with ironic, "artisanal" malt liquor.

Complete with hand stamped brown paper bag

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

HatfulOfHollow posted:

BrewDog is to the UK what Dogfish Head is to the US.

Dogfish Head actually makes outstanding beer though. Granted I'm in the US but everything I've had from Brewdog has been fair to okay. They don't have anything near as good as 60/90 minute, Festina Peace, My Antonia, etc.

The only real problem I have with Dogfish Head is their legal department.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

They are now fiercely defending their trademark on "India brown ale" to the point of sending us a cease and desist for one of our brewery only beers. I'm sure breweries who distribute India brown ales are going to be forced to take it off the label.

It's not a major thing and I still buy their beer but it just rubs me the wrong way. It's a natural extension of a style name and trademarking it is kind of a dick move. Especially in this industry where there's generally a real feeling of comradery between craft brewers.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I poured at my first festival Saturday and man if you've never done that I highly suggest it, I had a total blast. Definitely better than actually going to a fest.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

pugnax posted:

I just made some ice cream with Founders Breakfast Stout, and holy poo poo is this some tasty ice cream.

Come on, you can't just say that without posting the recipe and process.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Sampatrick posted:

How to develop a taste for IPAs?

Drink IPAs. Go to a bottle shop that does mixed 6 packs and grab 6 random bottles you've never had. Maybe try bigger craft brands first like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and New Belgium since they tend to be restrained and more accessible than random smaller craft brands. Get a friend (or don't, it's up to you) and drink them all in one sitting. Tasting them side by side you'll be able to pick out similarities and differences. Try to identify what you like and/or dislike about each one. Keep repeating this with different beers until it clicks.

Or just let it happen organically. I hated IPAs and avoided them entirely until I had one particular beer that just made me "get" hop flavors. I was immediately converted to an IPA fan that night. And if that never happens it's not a problem either, there's nothing wrong with having preferences.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
How is the BBA Narwhal? I passed over it last time I was at the bottle shop because it was stupidly expensive at 20 bucks.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Was the wild category strictly limited to brett only beers? A pretty significant amount of wild beers have lacto in them as well as brett.

I could see a beer fermented with a phenolic sacc strain and lacto tasting pretty close to brett+lacto. Some brett strains are more tame than the more outlandish sacc strains.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 3, 2014

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I just saw a guy with a shirt that had a whale and a beer bottle and it said whalezbro or something. I had no idea that word existed outside this thread and my world is now sideways.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

That's it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm planning a trip to Asheville in about a month and my girlfriend is giving me an entire day to subject her to beer nerd poo poo. Other than Wicked Weed, which breweries/bars should I check out? Also I have no idea what the food scene is like there, are there any restaurants worth checking out?