Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hey goons, do I need to book a train from Taipei to Kaohsiung ahead of time or can I just show up and get one? Maybe I'll save money or get a guaranteed seat by booking in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Paperhouse posted:

Hey goons, do I need to book a train from Taipei to Kaohsiung ahead of time or can I just show up and get one? Maybe I'll save money or get a guaranteed seat by booking in advance?

I assume you mean High Speed? The regular train is not THAT much cheaper and would take 5-6 hours longer.

1. Depends on the day, and time. Weeknights you may be waiting and you could try getting an unreserved seat. Holidays, no chance.
2. I don't think you save money by booking in advance, but that depends on how far/how many seats. Just you, doubt it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GoutPatrol posted:

I assume you mean High Speed? The regular train is not THAT much cheaper and would take 5-6 hours longer.

1. Depends on the day, and time. Weeknights you may be waiting and you could try getting an unreserved seat. Holidays, no chance.
2. I don't think you save money by booking in advance, but that depends on how far/how many seats. Just you, doubt it.

HSR tickets do give a discount for booking early, and I think that includes single tickets. HSR you can book up to 1 month in advance as I recently learned.

I don't think TRA gives discounts for booking early, and you can only book 2 weeks in advance.

Otherwise, Tze-Chiang is generally half the price of the HSR, and will be 5-6 hours to Kaohsiung. If you can grab Puyuma tickets, it'll be about a 4-5 hour trip depending on which stops the train you choose makes.

Puyuma usually makes fewer stops than the Tze-Chiang and runs faster (130km/h vs 110km/h). Also, mountain line is generally faster than coast line.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Thanks. What's the official website for booking high speed rail tickets? I've found two sites and the prices they offer seem... different. 1490 TWD vs 1190 TWD :confused:

The sites are http://www.thsrc.com.tw and 12go.asia. I guess the former is official but the latter is the one with cheaper tickets

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 16, 2019

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I just booked mine in person at Taipei main station.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Just got told by HESS that I've been recommended for hire.

What are the thread's opinions on HESS? Same as OP or have things changed?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Purple Prince posted:

You're pretty much always rolling the dice in terms of whatever branch you end up at.

The major chain schools are good in that they'll give you a contract before you arrive, will typically guarantee you a livable amount of hours per week, and provide at least a week of training in how they want their classes run.

Put in a year at one to learn the ropes, then start applying with local recruiters if you want to make more, and/or work in a less soul crushing environment.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

^What he said. Mediocre at best as schools, some corporate bullshit, but overall a safe choice for a first year in Taiwan. Let us know where you're going!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Purple Prince posted:

Branches have their problems, but ok as an intro job. Keep in mind that some branches may dive into sketch city way faster than others (may have you teaching kindergarten, which is prohibited, so you have to hide when there’s a raid).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Safety Biscuits posted:

^What he said. Mediocre at best as schools, some corporate bullshit, but overall a safe choice for a first year in Taiwan. Let us know where you're going!

Yeah, I don't feel like posting the thing I wrote 5 years ago about them. See where you end up and then we can add more details.

Make sure during training you head to the weekend Indian buffet close to the First Hotel if they still put people in there.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GoutPatrol posted:

Make sure during training you head to the weekend Indian buffet close to the First Hotel if they still put people in there.

Man, I suggested that in the Line chat like a year ago. I haven't been there in ages, but hit Safranbolu last month and stuck my head in the door just to see if they still did that Sunday buffet and they still do. Shocking because that's been here at least as long as I have and so many restaurants come and go.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

So one of the main reasons I am moving to Taiwan is to get more work flexibility (due to lower cost of living). I'm expecting an extra few hours a week for planning and around events, but if I took a basic 20 hour contract should I expect to end up working full time or will it be less.

Either way if stuff gets weird I have the means to say no, so I'm not super worried.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 14, 2019

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The contract is for 20 teaching hours; lesson prep and marking is on top of that. How much depends on your contract, if you're doing kindy, which classes you have, and experience.

GoutPatrol posted:

And if your training lasts until the weekend!

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Signed up for HESS. I will likely be in Taichung area FYI. Trying not to spend too much time hanging with foreigners as I want to learn Mandarin as quickly as possible, but up for goonmeets in the area.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Purple Prince posted:

Signed up for HESS. I will likely be in Taichung area FYI. Trying not to spend too much time hanging with foreigners as I want to learn Mandarin as quickly as possible, but up for goonmeets in the area.

Sure, have fun! I hear Taichung’s nice enough. Don’t know if any of the rest of us are there right now but let us know if you pass through Taipei or want to come up and hang out.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
DoFun is in Taichung and makes weird sandwiches that I crave.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Purple Prince posted:

When they say Taichung area, that goes from Taichung, Changhua, Nantou, and I think Yunlin. If you're in Nantou, spending no time with foreigners will be easy.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

If you're in Nantou, spending no time with foreigners will be easy.

Puli is pretty nice. Spent an afternoon at the Chung Tai Museum and it was really impressive. Lots of old Chinese and Buddhist artifacts.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Purple Prince posted:

Trying not to spend too much time hanging with foreigners as I want to learn Mandarin as quickly as possible

wish i had a nickel every time this was posted on these boards

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Should be a bit easier since I am going there with a Mandarin speaker.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Double posting, but since it’s 2 days later and a different topic it feels justified.

What’s the situation with work visas and remote work in Taiwan? I’d expected to do some freelance work in my home country while located in Taiwan, but I am not sure whether this is allowed. I can do everything up to and including setting up a company in my home country and running the operation from Taiwan; I don’t need the cash in my personal accounts right now.

Is this a workable situation? Does Taiwan allow it or at least turn a blind eye to it?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Purple Prince posted:

Double posting, but since it’s 2 days later and a different topic it feels justified.

What’s the situation with work visas and remote work in Taiwan? I’d expected to do some freelance work in my home country while located in Taiwan, but I am not sure whether this is allowed. I can do everything up to and including setting up a company in my home country and running the operation from Taiwan; I don’t need the cash in my personal accounts right now.

Is this a workable situation? Does Taiwan allow it or at least turn a blind eye to it?

Feel free to post as much as you like in this thread. The veteran posters here have a lot of useful knowledge which will help you to survive and thrive.

I am not a lawyer, but honestly, if I had a 1500-2000 USD/month business, I probably wouldn't teach English in Taiwan. Here's why:
  • There are tens of thousands of digital nomads moving throughout Asian countries; usually doing 3-month cycles between Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, etc on tourist visas.
  • There are lots of coworking spaces with decent facilities and there's plenty of short-term grey-market housing available.
  • Assuming you do want to transfer money to Taiwan, opening a bank account is possible on a tourist visa/landing permission visa. It requires a trip to a government ministry to get an official document.
  • The Taiwanese tax bureau doesn't care about overseas income unless you're working for an American company. Generally, things will only get complicated if you want to incorporate your business inside Taiwan. There are plenty of accountants and firms which can help you with the paperwork. You're not talking about transferring 100+k USD to Taiwan, right?
  • Check your work contract since it may have a clause that you can only work for that company; Taiwan is generally laid back about having multiple jobs and nearly every Taiwanese coworker I've ever had has some kind of side-hustle. Many of them have left their jobs to make it their primary focus (and built it on company time!). However, don't mention your overseas business to the boss, local, or foreign colleagues. Giving the impression that you are not beholden/bound to whims of the local branch office manager could result in them firing you for any made-up excuse. Come up with various reasons why you need your personal time, "I'm taking a class remotely", "I need to talk with family back home", etc.

Good luck and good choice. The five year anniversary of my first trip to Taiwan just passed in October. I'm still very happy with my decision to relocate here.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I went looking for oxtail in some of the traditional markets near me. I know oxtail is found in some Chinese cuisines, but I had never seen in around before. I ask one of the vendors if they can get some, they say come back in two days, for 2kg of the stuff. I show up this morning, she gets a very surprised look and says "I'll be right back!" 15 minutes later I get some frozen lumps wrapped in several bags. I throw it in my fridge to thaw for tonight. And when I finally open the bag, it's oxtail all right...with skin. And hair.

Fun time preparing that.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Delicious

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hi all, going to Taiwan for a little over a week. Travelling with some family. Trying to distract myself while waiting on the flight, feeling super nervous, sweaty hands and stomach all twisted up. :(
Anything you'd recommend checking out or doing in Taiwan? So far, I'm lining up hiking, hot springs, I've had the National Palace museum, the aboriginal museum, and Anping Old Fort recommended.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Please don't say you're coming back to vote.

The air quality in the past week has really been in the shitter so be prepared for that. Are you playing on being the North or the South?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

So far, I'm lining up hiking, hot springs, I've had the National Palace museum, the aboriginal museum, and Anping Old Fort recommended.

Are you staying in Taipei or going all over? The first things you list here are or can be in the capital but Anping is in Tainan.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

GoutPatrol posted:

Please don't say you're coming back to vote.

The air quality in the past week has really been in the shitter so be prepared for that. Are you playing on being the North or the South?
One of my relatives might, but not me. Never been to Taiwan
Thanks for the heads up about the air.

We are kind of going all over, but spending the most time in Taipei.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The train ride in was incredibly pretty. Like riding through a Studio Ghibli set.

I've kind of got a headache, though. I think I might take it easy and just grab one of the tourist passes and catch the 101 and the National Palace museum today, maybe look for some hot springs in the evening.

Oh, and I've got to make time and visit the Taiwan beer brewery - about the only kind of beer I like drinking, and they've got an bunch of weird ones I've never seen in the states.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Oh, and I've got to make time and visit the Taiwan beer brewery - about the only kind of beer I like drinking

Wh... what?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I used to get it when I visited Flushing in NY. I liked it. It looks like they have a bar in front of their brewery in Taipei.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rockopolis posted:

I used to get it when I visited Flushing in NY. I liked it. It looks like they have a bar in front of their brewery in Taipei.

I'm pretty sure whatever Taiwan Beer is, it's just Molson. There is nothing special about it.

The beer garden I think you're talking about was a cute novelty when I went there almost 10 years ago. Lots of puke by the end of the night.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think he’s reacting to it being the “only” beer you like—it’s not bad but it’s not hugely different from other beers.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh, haha - I don't drink much normally, especially beer. It was just easy to drink.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Taiwan beer is delicious.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Whew. Hiked Xiangshen. This place is beautiful.
Also saw a barefoot dude hammering out weights in the open air gym on top of the mountains. Also a dude with a hentai hoodie. This place is goonier than I expected.

My appetite is all hosed up from jetlag or something, I've barely been able to eat anything today.

I want to make a trip north - hike Yangmingshan and cap off the day at the hot springs in Beitou. Not sure how much else it make sense to cram into a trip like than - National Palace Museum and the Aboriginal museum is vaguely in that direction, but I'm not sure about the timing for a day trip.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Are ankle braces not a thing in Taiwan? I can't find any, looked in a couple pharmacies. Managed to roll my ankle while hiking Yangmingshan. Not too horrible, but I was hoping to get little support for it.

Yangmingshan was great - got a little lost getting there, and Mt Datun was closed due to landslide, but hiking Quxingshan was pretty. Little cloudy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Should be a thing. You’re looking in pharmacies that sell medicine, right, not the ones that sell shampoo and makeup?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Honestly, if you have a Costco membership, go there, I know I've seen them in the Taichung one. Knee braces too. I've seen several shops where all they sell is braces/diabetic socks/walkers/commodes and the like, try looking in neighborhoods near hospitals for that. There is one of those shops near a dildo shop close to my home, the dildo shop door is always open and you can see one of those lil' kids electric convertibles near the cash register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

No Costco membership.
Searched Watson's and Commed mostly. Nothing really shows up on Google maps. Looks like there's a Decathalon sporting goods store on Guilin rd if I cant find anything nearby. Thanks for the tip.