Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

I'm not really sure about the pay. My guess is 500NT if you are an actual native speaker and less if they can get away with it. It's 5-6:30 MWF and 5-8 TR. I'm not 100% on that though.

They will not sponsor an ARC. This is strictly a part time evening position. There will likely be morning and afternoon hours available in the summer, but you'll still probably work the same number of hours.

However, the work environment is great. Everyone here is awesome. There's very, very little bullshit associated with the position. We have a homegrown curriculum that's phenomenal. You don't have to grade homework or come in early or stay late. The only unpaid time is breaks between periods and they even give you dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The biggest pain in the rear end is coming up with a graduation and Christmas show and Halloween game.

But on the plus side I can introduce you to the wonders of the Sanxia bar (that's singular) scene.

Add lovely pay to lovely location and hours. 500nt? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, that's real low.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah, it really would be for someone who just wants a bit of fun money. It's not a particularly stressful position, but it only makes sense to take it if you are somewhere close by.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Oh man I have an interview with Hess on Friday. I'm expecting questions about teaching experience (have none), classroom control (dunno), preferred hours (any time, work me to the bone) and poo poo, am I missing anything important?

So nervous. I had one of these before with KOJEN and it didn't go too well.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

I had my Hess interview last week and that's pretty much it. A lot of questions on classroom scenarios and what your expectations are for living in Taiwan. Plus typical interview questions like your strengths/weaknesses.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

quadrophrenic posted:

Oh man I have an interview with Hess on Friday. I'm expecting questions about teaching experience (have none), classroom control (dunno), preferred hours (any time, work me to the bone) and poo poo, am I missing anything important?

It's entirely possible to bullshit your way through the teaching experience question. Remember, anything can be teaching experience. Group project in university where you were the senior member? Bam! Teaching experience. Did some babysitting and helped kids with their homework? Bam! Teaching experience. Younger siblings? You were literally teaching every day!

Make sure to frame it appropriately. "Well, I don't have any teaching experience in an actual classroom, but I got to experience similar dynamics in the following situations." Don't just say, "None."

As for classroom management, say, "Well, I bet keeping things fun and interesting would work. If the kids don't have time to misbehave, they won't, so I'll need to make sure that the lesson has a fast pace and very little downtime."

I mean, these aren't exactly tough answers to come up with.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I was a tour guide for two years and I studied linguistics in college, so yeah I'm not too worried about the teaching experience. Classroom control is really the area I'm most worried about, because while I like kids I don't have any actual experience working with them or even dealing with them aside from seeing my 2-year-old nephew every couple of weeks.

I'm still nervous. I guess I've always heard the talking point that the interview is basically just checking if you have a clear American accent, and I was wondering if that's actually true.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It obviously isn't, but precisely what they're looking for isn't that hard to figure out. Enough people have posted here about not getting into Hess that it's clear they're filtering for something and based on responses like, "I told them I had no idea how to manage a classroom or what teaching was like," I'm guessing those are actually more important than people give them credit for.

They must get a ton of flaky people applying for these jobs. They're probably good at noticing poo poo by now.

Even if you don't have experience with kids, make sure you sound really eager to get into a classroom because you want to be in a high energy position.

So, the question you should think about then is, "If you have no real teaching experience or experience working with kids, why do you want to dedicate the majority of your week to being around them?"

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

quadrophrenic posted:

I was a tour guide for two years and I studied linguistics in college, so yeah I'm not too worried about the teaching experience. Classroom control is really the area I'm most worried about, because while I like kids I don't have any actual experience working with them or even dealing with them aside from seeing my 2-year-old nephew every couple of weeks.

I'm still nervous. I guess I've always heard the talking point that the interview is basically just checking if you have a clear American accent, and I was wondering if that's actually true.

A lot of it is common sense. In my interview I was asked point-blank what I'd do if a kid started crying in my class. My escalating 3-step answer was 1) see if the CT can comfort them without interrupting the lesson, 2) give the other kids an activity and come by myself to double-team with the CT and 3) let the kid speak Chinese (which they're drilled to never do) and if necessary have the CT take them out of class. They aren't looking for some teaching whiz, but someone who just answers "help the kid" probably won't land the job.

Another thing:
My personal inference is that the thing Hess looks for most after someone with energy is someone that's not a flight risk. Financially speaking having teachers running out on you kind of sucks as a company and is super destabilizing. The old head of the EHRD Melissa apparently had a really good knack for finding candidates who stayed. They can teach you their factory-style teaching method easily but if someone packs up and is gone, that can be devastating for a smaller branch and still a drain for a bigger one. They'll ask you about living overseas but also subtly play up anything you saw through to completion, like if you live in Seattle and had some internship or something in New York.

Finally, Haraksha's last line is the key. If you can coherently answer that you should be good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quadrophrenic posted:

If you want any extra prep, someone posted a bunch of questions that HESS asks you during the phone interview in the old thread. I used them for my interview six months ago, and I doubt they've changed it.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006

quadrophrenic posted:

The First Days of School by Harry Wong is a really good book for basic teacher stuff. You might even be able to download the PDF.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I liked when they asked me what I'd do if I needed to buy toilet paper and couldn't find any. There's basically no safer answers than, "I'm willing to be a clown for free on the weekends."

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Haraksha posted:

I liked when they asked me what I'd do if I needed to buy toilet paper and couldn't find any. There's basically no safer answers than, "I'm willing to be a clown for free on the weekends."
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you're an assclown?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Haraksha posted:

The answer is "This is Taiwan, I get handed like 20 packets of tissue with ads on them hourly."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you're an assclown?

Those were unrelated thoughts, but in retrospect I should have specified.

I remember being asked like a hundred times if I had issues with weekends or unpaid hours. Hess likes both of those things.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Posting for bookmark, I'll be posting more regularly in the next few days, hope all is well with you all. :)

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
To those of you who have worked for Hess, on the whole would you recommend the experience? I accept that there is always a bit of risk in paying out airfare and the first months accomodation etc without a guaranteed job once you get there, but there are some true horror stories floating around on the web. Is it really that bad?

Are there any locations in particular you would recommend asking to teach in?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Aromatic Stretch posted:

To those of you who have worked for Hess, on the whole would you recommend the experience? I accept that there is always a bit of risk in paying out airfare and the first months accomodation etc without a guaranteed job once you get there, but there are some true horror stories floating around on the web. Is it really that bad?

Are there any locations in particular you would recommend asking to teach in?

Could you give an example of these horror stories? I'm curious if they are more than just culture shock and people going "they wanted me to work on Saturday!"

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Could you give an example of these horror stories? I'm curious if they are more than just culture shock and people going "they wanted me to work on Saturday!"

There are a few here - http://www.teflschoolreviews.com/hess-educational-organization-taiwan-200674.html.

Like you say, a lot of these could probably be down to silly things like people who are not expecting to have to do actual work!

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Aromatic Stretch posted:

There are a few here - http://www.teflschoolreviews.com/hess-educational-organization-taiwan-200674.html.

Like you say, a lot of these could probably be down to silly things like people who are not expecting to have to do actual work!

I think I mentioned this some point earlier in the thread but Hess is also by far the largest cram school in terms of number of teachers so it will also get a corresponding amount of flak. Very few people will go online to rant about some crappy mom and pop cram school way out in Linkou or something. They'll switch jobs and move on.

Some of the things on that site aren't very surprising: That Hess only cares about 'making money' (no poo poo?) or that it's sort of teaching but also sort of day care. Both come with the territory at any cram school here.

I think since Hess seems so monolithic and has the big scary Main Office foreign teachers feel more intimated into going along with crap like unpaid weekends and coupled with the admittedly low pay there's a lot of sour grapes.

Can Hess suck? Absolutely. Can it be awesome? Well financially no not really but there's something to be said for how well they ease you into teaching and a pre-existing social group.

Hess is devil you know whereas other schools might be seen as more of a roll of the dice.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One of the biggest things I have noticed from people complaining about HESS is the "They don't pay me for lesson prep/grading homework" posts. That's when you can tell they don't have a background in education.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I think showing up with several months worth of money and finding a job that suits you is the best way to do it.

I also think that Hess is great because you are able to land and have a job.

Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a great job, great hours etc. etc.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I know of another spot open in Sanxia, this one less terrible than the last. M-F 3:30-8:30. It's 62000NT a month. It's a chain school, but a franchised one where a very good friend of mine basically runs the show. You should be afforded a decent amount of freedom. Email me if you're interested, same as my user name at gmail.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In Taiwan, do they do the thing where you work a weekend to "make up" for a three day holiday?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

In Taiwan, do they do the thing where you work a weekend to "make up" for a three day holiday?
Yes, though it depends on the company.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It also depends on what the cause of the original holiday is. A few months ago, we had a four day weekend because Tuesday was a national holiday. Because Tuesday was a national holiday and Monday was off just to round out the weekend, we had to work only the following Saturday to make up Monday. The Tuesday was a freebie, but Monday had to be recovered.

Theoretically, if Monday had been the national holiday, we wouldn't have had any makeup days.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Do you accrue PTO at a cram school job? Like is there ever a situation where you can take a week off to go travel or visit home or anything?

I'm sure it depends on the school, but none of them I've seen have mentioned vacation time.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

Do you accrue PTO at a cram school job? Like is there ever a situation where you can take a week off to go travel or visit home or anything?

I'm sure it depends on the school, but none of them I've seen have mentioned vacation time.

I've never heard of anyone accruing time off at cram schools. However, many of the schools here give a month off for Chinese New Year, and another for summer vacation. With a few extra holidays in between. So there is a good chance you may not need it anyway. You may even still get paid for that time off if your lucky.

Outside of that, schools usually treat time off like a part-time job would by letting you take the time off (provided you notified them ahead of time), but not paying you for it. Some schools may also require you to find a substitute teacher as well to fill in during your absence.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

quadrophrenic posted:

HappyHelmet is completely right though I would add that if you have a salaried job you may be able to swing a day off every once in a while by being on your boss's good side and asking nicely. They still might dock your pay by a day though, like you mentioned it always depends. Asking for a significant amount of time off would almost certainly get you docked pay. From my purely anecdotal experience of friends here paid time off comes only a) if you are salaried and b) if you have a few years of experience with that specific school as a sort of retention/reward method. Even still it's not that common.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait people actually get paid time off here?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

:smugdog:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lookat that smug fukken duck

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TetsuoTW posted:

A friend's branch of Kid Castle (near Linsen N Rd) I think offers something pitiful like 2 paid days off every year for employees that have been there for 3+ years or something.

Yay.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend is salaried and doesn't get a reduced salary for time off.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Haraksha posted:

My friend is salaried and doesn't get a reduced salary for time off.

That's almost the same, I'd be willing to wager that he doesn't get reduced workload for time off either.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I'm salaried (mainland style) for an American company but as a local hire and I get a whole 5 days paid holidays per year. Granted it's more than most, but in all reality it's pitiful at best.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

That's almost the same, I'd be willing to wager that he doesn't get reduced workload for time off either.

I'm really having a hard time figuring out what this means.

He has a monthly salary. If he wants time off, he takes it. His salary for the month remains the same regardless of hours worked. He doesn't get extra classes to make up for the hours lost. He just continues on as if the vacation didn't happen.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Haraksha posted:

I'm really having a hard time figuring out what this means.

He has a monthly salary. If he wants time off, he takes it. His salary for the month remains the same regardless of hours worked. He doesn't get extra classes to make up for the hours lost. He just continues on as if the vacation didn't happen.

Ah he's a teacher. A lot of jobs here will just make you do twice as much work in the lead up to or just after time off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, at the very same school that has a full time job opening. You too could get paid leave maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Haraksha posted:

Yeah, at the very same school that has a full time job opening. You too could get paid leave maybe!

I would never leave my job teaching adults to go back to those snot-nosed germ factories.