Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

When I re-sign for Hess again this year I'll be at the pay cap of $750/hour :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ravendas posted:

When I re-sign for Hess again this year I'll be at the pay cap of $750/hour :toot:

Does that mean they will be passionately trying to fire you so that they can replace you with a know-nothing tourist who just hopped off a boat six days ago?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spanish Matlock posted:

Does that mean they will be passionately trying to fire you so that they can replace you with a know-nothing tourist who just hopped off a boat six days ago?

They've been trying that for awhile!

Boss basically said that I have to show my usefulness, make them see why they pay so much more for me than some random new teacher.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Any teacher with experience shouldn't have any trouble with that. It always makes me laugh when people say they got fired or let go because they make the max pay. Show that you're worth it and you'll never get fired.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
How long have you been working there and what was your starting pay? I'm always wondering what a reasonable raise is here (if a raise is something I can get at all).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thegoat posted:

Any teacher with experience shouldn't have any trouble with that.
You're assuming the school actually gives a gently caress if their kids learn rather than just if they re-enrol.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
Does anyone know what the international schools pay in Taiwan? I am leaning towards Taiwan or Hk once my contract is up but I'm wondering if its worth it. Anyone have any first hand experience, or are most of you at language centres/public school?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I don't assume that at all. I know that as a teacher that enrolment is more important than learning.

TetsuoTW posted:

You're assuming the school actually gives a gently caress if their kids learn rather than just if they re-enrol.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

thegoat posted:

I don't assume that at all. I know that as a teacherbuxiban mascot that enrolment is more important than learning.

Let me help you with that.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Let me help you with that.

Loving every minute of it!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oz_Bonus posted:

How long have you been working there and what was your starting pay? I'm always wondering what a reasonable raise is here (if a raise is something I can get at all).

Hess used to be 560 starting, with a 10-30 raise every 6 months.
Now it's 580 starting, 20-40 raise every year.
Cap is 750.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
It always blows me away how little HESS actually pays. Its especially bad when they don't give you any hours. Do they reimburse you for your plane tickets to Taiwan though? That would make it worth the lower pay grade.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure anyone on here can help me with this, but I figure its worth asking. Anyone know anything about trying to start a business here in Taiwan? Maybe a good website or something. I'm trying to look on ForumOSA, but the website is horrible and hard to find anything relevant on there.

Specifically, I'm wondering about how an ARC would work if your operating your own business. Would I have to work at a buxiban on the side to keep my ARC?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

HappyHelmet posted:

Not sure anyone on here can help me with this, but I figure its worth asking. Anyone know anything about trying to start a business here in Taiwan? Maybe a good website or something. I'm trying to look on ForumOSA, but the website is horrible and hard to find anything relevant on there.

Specifically, I'm wondering about how an ARC would work if your operating your own business. Would I have to work at a buxiban on the side to keep my ARC?

Provisional answer: you need a chunk of cash to invest with which is the biggest hurdle and then other than that I think it's just documents like a business plan and how many employees you want to hire and some other stuff.

I'm mildly interested in this myself so I'm now searching for a legit source to cite.

edit- If you satisfy whatever their requirements, whatever they are, I'm fairly sure you can stay here on an ARC I've met a couple people who run their own show.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

USDA Choice posted:

Provisional answer: you need a chunk of cash to invest with which is the biggest hurdle and then other than that I think it's just documents like a business plan and how many employees you want to hire and some other stuff.

I'm mildly interested in this myself so I'm now searching for a legit source to cite.

edit- If you satisfy whatever their requirements, whatever they are, I'm fairly sure you can stay here on an ARC I've met a couple people who run their own show.

I figured it would be something like that. My brief searching into the matter basically tells me its something like: hire lawyer-> sign documents-> kiss a poo poo load of money goodbye-> pray your business doesn't immediately fold

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Taipei+Taiwan+TWXX0021

Leaving for Taiwan tonight for two weeks.

Does this really mean it is going to be raining the entire time? Or is it more of an on/off thing? This will be my first time to the island in the spring.

How will it affect going out/getting around? Hiking? etc.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

khysanth posted:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Taipei+Taiwan+TWXX0021

Leaving for Taiwan tonight for two weeks.

Does this really mean it is going to be raining the entire time? Or is it more of an on/off thing? This will be my first time to the island in the spring.

How will it affect going out/getting around? Hiking? etc.

Well poo poo. Guess it's plum rains time. Thought it was extra rainy today. Yeah, that means it'll pretty much piss down for the next month or so I'd suspect. Happens every spring. It's been an unusually dry March, so I guess it'll be a lovely April.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

Well poo poo. Guess it's plum rains time. Thought it was extra rainy today. Yeah, that means it'll pretty much piss down for the next month or so I'd suspect. Happens every spring. It's been an unusually dry March, so I guess it'll be a lovely April.
On the other hand, weather forecasts other than "let's look out the window" tend to be pretty inaccurate, so there can be nice days mixed in.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

HappyHelmet posted:

I figured it would be something like that. My brief searching into the matter basically tells me its something like: hire lawyer-> sign documents-> kiss a poo poo load of money goodbye-> pray your business doesn't immediately fold

I found a few results like that too. As for the visa this boca page notes that an ARC can be given for investing so I'd guess if you've got all your ducks in a row they won't say no to giving you an ARC.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HappyHelmet posted:

It always blows me away how little HESS actually pays. Its especially bad when they don't give you any hours. Do they reimburse you for your plane tickets to Taiwan though? That would make it worth the lower pay grade.

I was talking to some friends in Kojen. They said they get 560 or 580 starting (I forget) and a 10nt raise per year.

Hess doesn't pay for plane tickets, but there are resigning bonuses (like 20k-40k or so, depending on how long you've been here), return rate bonuses (a pittance, like 800nt/class if at least 90% of the kids sign back up) and a starting loan of 30k interest free.

I didn't need the loan, but the resigning bonus has been nice.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

USDA Choice posted:

I found a few results like that too. As for the visa this boca page notes that an ARC can be given for investing so I'd guess if you've got all your ducks in a row they won't say no to giving you an ARC.

Thanks, I'll check that out later. I'll just start squirreling money away for now in case something actually comes of my plans. As it looks like the answer to any problems is, "throw money at it, till it goes away."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

You forgot the step between the money and the praying, kiss a whole lot of bureaucratic rear end.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HappyHelmet posted:

Depending on what you want to do, you can always do a representative office for a foreign corporation. This limits your corporations activities in theory, but unless you are a big business, that shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to do a legit foreign-owned business, you need at least 3 million NT in turnover per year per foreign manager's ARC. A representative office has none of these requirements and only minimal disclosures required to the government.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

You forgot the step between the money and the praying, kiss a whole lot of bureaucratic rear end.

I was presuming that this is more or less what you hire a lawyer for. I'm hoping to minimize the amount of rear end kissing I would need to do.

shots shots shots posted:

Depending on what you want to do, you can always do a representative office for a foreign corporation. This limits your corporations activities in theory, but unless you are a big business, that shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to do a legit foreign-owned business, you need at least 3 million NT in turnover per year per foreign manager's ARC. A representative office has none of these requirements and only minimal disclosures required to the government.

Yeah, this is definitely food for thought. If I went through with this I certainly wouldn't be making that much money. I have a lot more reading to do obviously.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Thinking about getting monumentally wasted this thursday (I have a light friday schedule) anyone else interested?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The curse of living half a world away from Taipei.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Good news guys, 7-11 now has "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale" in a deluxe edition for 99NT. Get it while you can!

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Thinking about getting monumentally wasted this thursday (I have a light friday schedule) anyone else interested?

I'm apparently headed to Roxy Rocker on Thursday night ca. 10pm if you wanna come drink shots and shout.

edit: Nevermind, that one fell through and now we're doing something else (what, exactly, I'm not sure of yet).

mad carl fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 10, 2012

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HappyHelmet posted:

Yeah, this is definitely food for thought. If I went through with this I certainly wouldn't be making that much money. I have a lot more reading to do obviously.

Yo, I saw this CPA's site again. He has kickass information on practically anything related to foreign investment in TW.

http://www.jusregal.com/English.htm

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

shots shots shots posted:

Yo, I saw this CPA's site again. He has kickass information on practically anything related to foreign investment in TW.

http://www.jusregal.com/English.htm

Awesome thanks. Bookmarked the site and I'll read more into it later.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
gently caress it. I'm buying all of my clothes at 7-11 from now. Truly the only place I ever need to shop.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

gently caress it. I'm buying all of my clothes at 7-11 from now. Truly the only place I ever need to shop.

Its all about hitting up the night markets for lovely t-shirts with hilariously bad English/weird graphics that fall apart after a couple washes.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HappyHelmet posted:

Its all about hitting up the night markets for lovely t-shirts with hilariously bad English/weird graphics that fall apart after a couple washes.
Though you can also get all the lovely, poorly made One Piece "oriented" shirts you could ever want, you can get lucky and find some pretty awesome stuff; I found a classy(yes, really!) Keroro baseball-style T-shirt that was pretty goddamn awesome for 100NT, and I still have a thick-ish(which is why I don't wear it often) yellow T-shirt with a felt checkerboard pattern that's cut so it makes out an image of Bruce Lee with the text "Bruce Lee is my homeboy". I sincerely regret not picking up a very poorly OCR'd(how most of the English is awful) tee that had Black Flag's Police Story cover on it; I didn't get it because it was salmon colored, but wow, should've looked past that. I'll put up a photo if I can find it somehow.

vvv: salmon != pink in this case

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 12, 2012

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The realest of real men rock pink-ish shirts.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
Yo. Currently goon-ing it up here in Tokyo for a decade and am looking to try something new. I've got a job that I can take with me wherever I go in my region (APAC) and am thinking about Taiwan.

I've got some questions that have come up before but were not directly answered so I'll ask again.

1) Housing
Any good English language sites for housing? Ideally furnished/serviced.
Also, what is the CBD area called in Taipei and would that be a good place to live? Is there an area close where most people that work in the area live?

2) Visa
While at first I would just be on a business trip so a regular entry stamp will likely do, if I do decide to stay beyond that time I will need a visa of some sorts. Can I self sponsor myself based on my employment contract/income from HQ or do I need to set up a branch/local company?

3) language school
I don't speak a word of Chinese but have managed to survive on trips to China with a pen and paper writing characters to communicate. That won't fly too long, does anyone know of a good part-time language school I could take classes at a few times a week while I'm there?

I'd probably start with a 1-month extended business trip and maybe stretch it out to 3-months if I enjoy myself. I would be going to explore business relationships and would rather not have to deal with setting up a company (in Japan we have what is called a representative office which is exactly for that purpose).

Many thanks

dtb fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 12, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

dtb posted:

1) Housing
Any good English language sites for housing? Ideally furnished/serviced.
The go-to is Tealit.com, but if you're only short-terming, I don't know.

quote:

Also, what is the CBD area called in Taipei and would that be a good place to live? Is there an area close where most people that work in the area live?
Arguably the CBD is either Xinyi District or East District, but Taipei doesn't really have a CBD in the usual sense. It's basically just one big sprawling CBD. The public transportation system is good enough that you can basically live anywhere in the city and you'll be find to get to work relatively quickly. If you know where you're going, you can pretty much get anywhere in the city in about a half-hour.

quote:

2) Visa
While at first I would just be on a business trip so a regular entry stamp will likely do, if I do decide to stay beyond that time I will need a visa of some sorts. Can I self sponsor myself based on my employment contract/income from HQ or do I need to set up a branch/local company?
No, you need a local employer to sponsor you. Depending where you're from, you can probably get a visitor visa good for (IIRC) two months anyway without that.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
N/m, this answers all my questions about starting a branch or rep. office: http://investtaiwan.nat.gov.tw/matter/show_eng.jsp?ID=6&MID=6
Seems easy enough, provided initial exploration proves there is enough market potential to justify.
I'll be sure to drop a line once I get there again to see if anyone wants to do a goon-meet.
Thanks for the advice

dtb fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 12, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Now, I know what this image is supposed to symbolize, but at the same time, there's only one thing I can see when I see an image like this.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
haha, indeed.

Also, oh god... kaoliung night is never a good idea (the next morning).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HappyHelmet posted:

haha, indeed.

Also, oh god... kaoliung night is never a good idea (the next morning).