Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Fear is the darkroom where the Devil develops his negatives.
When's the latest I should apply through HESS for a TEFL job starting this summer/fall? I've been looking at Korea vs. Taiwan and Taiwan looks a lot more attractive. I should probably get started on my TEFL cert too.

Also any other tips would be appreciated.

Capt. Carl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Ok, thanks. Saves me a lot of money and time. I'm graduating this spring and want to teach abroad somewhere for a year, and Taiwan looks like a great culture/place to be. Not 100% set...but I'm definitely leaning more towards it than anywhere else.

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

When I sent my application into HESS I chose only Taipei and wasn't flexible, but now I'm wondering if there's anywhere else that would be just as cool. I know it depends on what you want, but Taipei's MRT really appeals to me as well as the large foreign population.

The questionnaire mentions these places have a large ex-pat community:

Taichung, Keelung, Taoyuan, Hsinchu and Kaohsiung

Is that true?

I'm considering broadening my options on the questionnaire, but I don't want to be isolated. I do love nature and probably won't be clubbing a whole lot so that's probably good if I want to teach outside of Taipei.

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Cool, thanks. I'll probably put Kaohsiung and Taichung on there. Having a scooter might be fun. :v:

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Have my HESS skype interview on Sunday.

Can anyone recommend a contract?

quote:

25-Hour Mixed Contract - Young Learners & Cram School (HLS)
The 25 hour contract guarantees teachers a minimum of 25 teaching hours per week, averaged over the month. This is a combined contract that includes both Young Learners (YL) in the morning and HLS or YL later in the day. Young Learner students range in ages from 3 to 6 years old, however, you would not have a three year old and a six year old in the same class. Teachers teach YL Monday to Friday, in the mornings. In the afternoon, evening and Saturday mornings and/or afternoons, they teach either YL or HLS classes to make a total of 25 hours/week minimum.

The YL semesters begins in March and August of each year, so these contracts are generally only available at those times. YL teachers teach English, as well as life skills, such as self-help, motor skills, hygiene, etc. The YL curriculum is theme-based with a new topic each month that is fully bilingual - half day English and half day Chinese. Only Chinese teachers teach the Chinese portion of the class. This is the best option for those who want a lot of hours, as it offers new teachers a chance to adjust to teaching and life in Taiwan, while still earning good money. SATURDAY HOURS AND SPLIT SHIFT REQUIRED.

20-Hour Mixed Contract - Young Learners & Cram School (HLS)
This contract is very similar to the 25 hour contract, in that it includes both HLS and Young Learners classes, and also involves a split shift. There are fewer guaranteed hours, so the schedule is not as demanding as the 25 hour contract. It is a good option for people who are interested in teaching both HLS and Young Learners but would like a lighter schedule.
SATURDAY HOURS AND SPLIT SHIFT REQUIRED.

20-Hour HLS Contract - Cram School Only (HLS)
The 20 hour contract guarantees teachers a minimum of 20 teaching hours per week, averaged over the month. Teaching hours are generally between 1:30-9:00pm, Monday-Friday, as well as Saturday mornings and/or afternoons. Native Speaking Teachers (NSTs) teach students from the ages of 4 to 15 years old. A Chinese Teacher (CT) will be present for most classes. Most Hess Language School (HLS) classes are 100 minutes, with a ten-minute break for which you're paid for the full two hours. This contract is the best option for teachers interested in having more free time to pursue other interests, such as studying Chinese. SATURDAY HOURS REQUIRED.

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I don't want that long rear end break in between classes. Figured the 25hrs a week option would be a lot as well. I don't care too much about putting away money and would rather have a good time.

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Had my hess interview. They told me they don't have anything right now for Taipei or Kaoshiung but something could open up. So my only other option is Greater Taipei, which is probably where I'll get placed if I get in. Anyone have any experience with this? The recruiter told me it's only 20-30 minutes from Taipei, but I'd rather not get placed in boring bumfuckville with no one around it .

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

USDA Choice posted:

'Greater Taipei' is like being in 'Greater NYC,' you could be put in the effective equivalent of Allentown, PA if that analogy helps. On the other hand it might include a bunch of branches in New Taipei City that are super close to actual Taipei City, like Yonghe for example.

A friend got placed in Linkou. It took him longer to get to downtown Taipei than it took me, and I lived in Hsinchu.

I think Haraksha is currently in a place that could be called 'Greater Taipei' if you want to ask more about it. Honestly it sounds like boring bumfuckville to me personally, but some people really do prefer it.

Also, if they are serious about wanting you, something will definitely open up. I was told the same thing and a spot opened up literally 2 days later, and this was just a couple weeks out from the training. Turnover is so high that it's super likely another spot will open but the place might be the catch. For what it's worth, spots in Kaohsiung are hard to come by.

Finally, when you say recruiter, do you just mean the Hess HR person that interviewed you? Because in no situation should you be using a traditional recruiter with them.
Cool, maybe if I get in I could tell them I'll go if it's Taipei but I don't really want Greater Taipei. I don't like how you don't know until you get out there. I can always wait until next year to get something I actually want. And yeah, I just meant the HR person.

Haraksha posted:

I am in Sanxia, which is in New Taipei City, which is the "Greater Taipei Area". It isn't that bad during the week. It's quiet, less crowded, cleaner, and cheaper. We have all the basic things a foreigner could want for comfort as well as decent public transportation. I can get anywhere in downtown Taipei from my door in less than an hour.

It's terrible on the weekends. We have a single bar and it's pricey and caters to a very specific clientele. The foreigner community is weak. There are a lot of older, married guys with families who aren't interested in getting drunk anywhere but their apartments. No one ever wants to come out to visit and heading to Taipei to drink gets pricey fast because of the cost of cab fair home.
Yeah, this is exactly what I don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Is Taiwan really this cartoonish? Because it sounds hilarious. Everything about it. The drunk blue truck drivers, the Taike, everything.

Or is this normal for Asia.